Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15

(Natural Beige, Soft Porcelain): Mica, Pearl Powder. ( /-): CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77947 (Zinc Oxide), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides). (Real Sand, Tender Rose, Rich Vanilla, Classic Beige, Pure Honey, Warm Bronze): Active Ingredient – Zinc Oxide. Ingredient: Pearl Powder. May Contain ( /-): Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 1/18/2009 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I really really really wanted to love this but unfortunately the product was not right for me. There were some things that I did like about the product like the container as well as the coverage it gave. It also did not make me break out which is always a plus. The makeup is not cheap by any means but I feel that you get a good amount for the price. Now the cons.... One thing that I really didn't like was the chalky matte look it gave me. I never saw that " pearlescent " glow it was supposed to give. I bought the shade Tender rose and although I felt it matched my skin tone it did not give me the healthy look I expected. I also did not like the way it settled into my pores. I had read similar reviews before buying and never had a problem with other mineral make ups so i thought it was just the person but indeed it did make my pores stand out. Unfortunately I had to return this one. I guess I will be going back to my BE, it's not perfect but it's been better for me than anything else i've tried. If your thinking about trying it I say go ahead because it seems like there are a lot of positive reviews, just buy it at Sephora where it can be returned.

on 1/13/2009 4:14:00 AM

I was curious about texture and overall look of Mineral Powders, not keen on most brands I decided to give my beloved Laura Mercier's a try.

For reference, I'm using "Tender Rose".

What I like most about this texture is that it gives a semi-matte finish with a natural inner glow due to the pearl powder in its composition. I apply it with a powder brush for a natural finish and one of the things that I appreciate is that it doesn't look cakey or powdery. It doesn't oxidize on my oily skin and doesn't break me out. This product definitely made me curious about the powder primer and finishing veil as well. Another win for Laura Mercier.

on 1/11/2009 10:32:00 PM

When I first tried this I loved it. I tried Bare Minerals and it gave my skin a really strange metallic look to it, I tried Sheer Coverage--gag--yuck. This has light medium coverage that gives you a flawless glowing look. It feels light, it wears all day without turning orange (a la BM). The packaging is genius--a proper sifter keeps the powder in place. I just love this--my skin has NEVER looked this good with any other product. It doesn't rub off, it doesn't get cakey, it doesn't emphasize pores like other MMU's do. I was truly amazed that my skin could look this flawless and perfect! That said, it is expensive--$10 more then BM but $10 less then Laura's TM (My liquid HG!). I would like to try the primer and finishing powder sometime but I feel I don't need it at this point--plus I don't wanna spend another $60 for it. I also would like more color choices. If you like MMU you have to try this--you will NEVER look back.

EDIT: After about 3 months of happy use, the same old thing happened as it did with BE, all of a sudden it started to itch the crap out of my face!!! My face turned red, itchy, burning and blotchy and i had to take it off immediately! It is so weird. Its like a rash on my face! I wipe it off and the redness goes away. Not sure why this happens but this lowers my rating to a 3. Not a HG if I have to stop using it when the dish is 3/4 full still! God this SUCKS! I am now trying Lancome's. Wish me luck!

on 1/9/2009 3:54:00 PM

I've been using this for a couple of years now and it always gives me incredibly beautiful, light coverage which is all I need for my skin. I've used it for everything from classes to parties and everyone thinks my skin just looks naturally flawless. The last time I wore a foundation of mine was almost 2 years ago for a wedding, it was Chanel's Double Perfection but I no longer use heavy formulas/foundations on my skin after finally realizing that I never needed them. This mineral powder with SPF 15 feels so nice when applied and still lets my skin breathe. By the way, years ago, around 2003, I bought Bare Minerals and thought it was truly awful. It made my tan skin look orange in tint, created unevenness, and felt heavier than this powder. I highly recommend this product and to also use Laura Mercier cheek colours/powders with it, they create a gorgeous look.

on 1/7/2009 11:02:00 AM

I wanted to try mineral powder because my TM in the SW Florida summer heat and humidity was sometimes causing my face to "melt off" by early afternoon. Before buying this mineral powder I tried Bare Minerals, which I wasn't a huge fan of because by mid afternoon I could see every pore in my t-zone...which just isn't a good look for me. So I bought this and the first day I really liked it and my friend kept telling me how great my complexion looked, which of course boosted the initial rating. After using it for about a week straight I started to notice the same issue with the enlargement of pores by mid afternoon, although I will say it was no where near as bad or visible as with the BM.
It did not break out my sensitive skin, it did a good job of evening out my skintone, it's easy to use and although I wasn't 100% oil-free, it didn't increase oiliness and didn't leave me with an oil slick on my face mid-day.
The packaging is really great. It comes in the normal LM loose powder container, but it has a window slider thing that allows you to close off the holes to prevent powder from coming through and making it easy to travel with.
The cost is average and right in line with the rest of the LM line, although I do think at $35 for a rather large container it is a little less than a lot of other brands which is a pleasant surprise.
I really love Laura Mercier products and overall I do think this is a good product; however, I don't think mineral powder works with my skin type (fair/light combo skin, with oilier t-zone). I will continue to use this product intermitantly, but not every day so as to prevent the enlarged pores issue.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is the 2nd mineral foundation I've tried. The first was prescriptives which showed up a bit ash on me. Anyway, the mica in this product can make the skin look a little too shiny but I really like the way my skin looks with this product. My imperfections are a little less obvious and my skin looks healthy with a nice glow.

on 1/1/2009 8:24:00 PM

I love this product. I have been using Bare Minerals foundationn for some time but found it difficult to find a shade that really matched my fair skin. I love the luminescence of this product and the color match is great. I love the packaging. The lid closure is very smart as it keeps the product from escaping in the container. I will definitely repurchase.

on 1/1/2009 4:50:00 PM

This is the first mineral makeup I have tried and I really like it. I used to wear LM powder foundation in #2, but it was always a bit dark in the winter, and rather drying. Most other foundations turn orangy on me, but this has stayed true throughout a 10 hour day. I also like that I can mix colors in a separate sifter jar, since I always seem to be in between shades. For reference, I am mixing about 60% real sand with 40% soft porcelain, and it is perfect for pale olive skin.

I do agree that it does not control oil well, but I am not using a primer. However, a light dusting of MAC blot over the t-zone mid-day fixes any unwanted shine. I don't really think it emphasizes pores, but it doesn't hide them either. Fortunately I have pretty good skin so it is a minor issue. Application was a little tricky and took a few days to get right. I was using too much and getting a cakey look with my LM face brush, and it does clump a bit, but I finally got the hang of it. To get a light application, I swirl the brush in the cap, then tap the brush on its side, then tap the bristles in the palm of my hand a couple times to get rid of clumps and distribute the powder evenly. Then I start at my jawline and buff upwards, doing my t-zone last. Kind of backwards from how I normally apply makeup, but it works! Takes very little time as well. I will definitely keep buying this unless I develop an allergy to it.

*** Update 10/9/2010 - I stopped using this for a while after developing irritation, and then discovered that it was caused by buffing with the face brush. I switched to Eco-tools and now I can use this again.

I also discovered that LM Mineral powder is fabulous when blended into moisturizer or sunscreen lotion! I have a pet peeve with most TMs going orangy or bown on me, and tried mixing the minerals with face lotion and I got the perfect shade and texture! I even tried mixing it with neutrogena dry touch sunscreen spf 30 and it has lasted all day with no irritation, separating, or other odd texture. In fact, my skin has a nice glow without being shiny, and very little oil breakthrough. It also is much less drying than minerals alone, which I need as my skin gets drier in the fall and winter.

on 12/20/2008 8:20:00 PM

I love this. I have used Bare Minerals and a few other Mineral Makeup products, I think this has the best finish and feel on my skin. I have acne and this didn't make me breakout. The finish is really beautiful and pearlescent. They say "soft focus effect" I agree, wish it could hide my pores a little more on my cheeks. Maybe I need the primer too. I will buy again and I love the packaging because mineral makeup usually gets everywhere - this is a very smart product.

on 12/12/2008 5:31:00 PM

I was underwhelmed by this product. I expected to like it, becuase I think the loose powder mineral brozer is great, but this one didn't impress me. I find the color hard to blend evenly--it tends to clump in the area that the brush touches first. It doesn't do much to ward off shine, and it definitely doesn't make my pores look smaller. I think it may actually make them look bigger! I also find that it has a chalky finish. It helps if you finish off with a facial mist (like Darphin's, or even the Evian spray), but it still isn't the most flattering thing for me. I only wear it now if I am running errands and don't need to look particularly nice. I am going to keep looking for a better mineral foundation.