November 23, 2014 | 1987 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Mineral Powder SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2008 5:42:00 PM More reviews by babyscorpion

Overall I like this Mineral makeup, I bought it with the primer as well and always use it as a combo. I feel it does make a difference. Compared to BE mineral makeup, in my case the coverage is similar. I do find that when I use mineral makeup I have to be retouching constantly, because it does not last me a long time. But when I do wear it, i like how it looks at first. The face looks nice, natural and even. I like wearing my mineral makeup to work, only when my face is in optimum conditions. But when I have acne I switch to a full coverage liquid foundation to cover my acne.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2008 3:43:00 AM More reviews by nabz

This is great. Laura Mercier has been making consistently making superb products and rarely ever do I have a complain against it. First of all I am very, very impressed with the packaging. Who ever thought of providing that little rotating plastic bit to prevent the powder from pouring out when you're traveling with it IS A GENIUS!

Second, the price is comparably cheaper against other more commercially popular mineral makeup (ie Bare Minerals). I got this for AUD 45 sometime in April when my Shu Uemura ran out and there are still plenty left even though I use it on a daily basis. The only downside perhaps is the staying power as I have combination oily skin and it tends to slip off (esp. around the T Zone area) by mid day. But this is something that can be easily fixed with a dusting of translucent powder (I use Jurlique Lavender Silk) right before application.

It works as a concealer as well if applied with the right make up tools. Great all rounder, and a definite HG

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2008 12:01:00 AM More reviews by bootyliciousbaby

I am registered on MakeupAlley since 2002 and lurk regularly but with no intention of ever writing a review; I only read them. (I am lazy! Plus am not impressed by makeup products all that much). However I feel this product deserves a review because it blew me away.

I first read about this mineral powder foundation in Paula Begeon's Best of Beauty 2007 bulletin and decided to buy it at Holts Renfrew this summer, with no expectations. I tried it on briefly at the store to make sure I got a good colour match, but it wasn't until after I took it home and started using it the next day that I was blown away. It gives a beautiful, luminous finish and looks absolutely ethereal in sun light. It provides medium-full coverage and covers redness, diffuses my acne scars and evens out my skin tone with the lightest dusting (a little goes a long way, if you put too much on it WILL look makeup-y and heavy, as with most foundations). A light dusting of this with my Anna Sui Face Brush, plus some concealer under my eyes + recent pimple/scars, and my skin looks luminous, flawless and natural. As soon as I switched to this foundation, I got compliments on my skin from family, friends, and even interviewers (during job interviews lol). Nobody has ever complimented me on my skin before using this. Best of all, it looks extremely natural - I just look like I was born with naturally gorgeous skin.

Application is fast and efficient - literally takes a few seconds to get smooth, even coverage, which has reduced my makeup application time considerably (going to try it with MAC 187 brush to see if I can get an even faster application). SPF 15 from zinc oxide is a bonus. I've been using this since I got it in the summer, and now that it is winter my cheeks and dry areas do tend to be accentuated a bit with this powder, but nothing that some extra moisturizer underneath can't fix. The overall finish, time, and ease of application of this mineral powder is still superior to most foundations I've tried, so I can't complain.

Lasting power is great. I did not get the primer and setting powder the salesgirl recommended, and find that I really don't need them because this lasts all day on its own. However if you're prone to shine (like me) and want a matte t-zone you will need a oil-control product/powder to blot during the day, as this is not meant to control oils.

"Tender Rose" is a good match for my MAC NW20 skin.

I am: Fair-skinned Asian, normal to combination skin (oily t-zone, some dry areas in winter), uneven skintone on cheeks from acne scars, occasional pimple.

EDIT: Tried this with a skunk brush..LOVE IT EVEN MORE!!!! PERFECT finish...gives me a sheerer coverage which I like =] Ladies, if you're going to use mineral foundation, I highly recommend using a skunk brush!

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2008 8:30:00 PM More reviews by sa921

I bought this powder based on all the rave reviews on this website. I received it yesterday and used it today. This powder is absolutely fantastic. I love the coverage and glowy effect. I ordered tender rose (I am asian with fairly fair complexion). i didn't buy the LM blending brush. instead i am using a low cost loose powder blush from boujouris (there is steal on the strawberrynet.com right now! 20+$ for 5 brushes+2 lip gloss and some other accessaries).
I like the pinky look this tender rose provides. next time i might order the soft porcelain and mix them together for a more fair look. :)
highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2008 3:04:00 PM More reviews by dbmiller

I consider myself to be somewhat of a mineral makeup expert, as I've tried a zillion. I already have a few that I adore from $5-$35. So this was $35 and to me, overpriced for the performance. Don't get me wrong, I like it, I'm just not totally impressed. I like the coverage, which can be medium to full, if you so desire. Just because of this, I can see this getting cakey-looking quickly. I like the color I chose off the Sephora website, Real Sand. I like the finish of this, it's glowy, but not shiny. I like that this has SPF 15. What I didn't really care for was that the second that I applied it, it had already sunken into my fine lines. Not as bad some, like Rimmel, but still. I'd repurchase, as I consider this a good addition to my aresenal of mineral foundations, but overall, not as impressed with it considering all the rave reviews. UPDATE: I think my skin was in poor condition when I first started using this. Since then, I've updated my skincare routine, and it's not as dry. It makes this foundation gorgeous. Allows for touchups without looking weird. LOVE!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2008 5:32:00 PM More reviews by CaliBello

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using this in Pure Honey for 10 months now and I'm extremely satisfied. I have tried desperately to make other MMU work for me (Afterglow, EM, Alima) but usually coverage was an issue. With LM, I get at least medium coverage. I apply with Alima's # 25. I buff it all over my face and neck and can quickly achieve a natural, smooth finish.

I have oily skin and have seen my face streak with liquid foundation and look like I have applied nothing with other MMU or powders. This covers like a liquid but blends like a powder. If I feel dry, I use Neutrogena Fresh Moisture as a moisturizing primer. If I am more oily, I use OC Eight as a mattifier. I can use all of these with each other with no problems.

The color match is not spot on but it works. It does not settle into fine lines or look chalky. The packaging is smart. The price is high but a little goes a long way so it lasts. My skin is very sensitive but no break outs or irritation from this, even when I sleep in it.

Bottom line, I can look at myself in the dreaded car mirror (with the light!) and feel good about my skin. Holy. Grail.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2008 2:35:00 PM More reviews by LAcurlz

This is my HG foundation of the moment. I have tried GlowMinerals, Bare Minerals and UD mineral foundations. I have tried so many liquid and powder foundations, I have lost count. I am a tough customer and am constantly on the search for anything that will perfect my face. I used to enjoy BM but I began to break out after 2 years of use? My hairdresser recommended LM minerals. I tried LM minerals with great skepticism, as I break out from everything. The SA at Sephora (one that was not mean or angry that she had to do her job) helped me find my shade: Rich Vanilla. I put it on myself the next day and was immediately impressed with the coverage. It's buildable, so you do not end up looking like Phyllis Diller post-application. The safety gal I am, I brought along my regular foundation as I figured this stuff would be off by noon. When I looked in the mirror at noon, I saw this glowy, flawless skin (certainly not the skin I was born with). It had not moved. Now, when I say had not moved, I mean had not moved. I have oilies and am used to touch ups or the famous makeup fade. By the end of the day, it looked pretty good, but had faded in some areas (chin and nose). So, always the optimist, I decided to give it another try with LM's mineral primer and mineral finishing powder. Perfection. This stuff stays put on me (Acne McOil) for 12-14 hour days. When I take off my makeup at the end of the day, there is still a significant amount of makeup that comes off on my cleansing sheets. Amazing. I have switched to Natural Beige for the winter, but only because I wanted a color change. The LM pots are huge and mine has lasted me 8 months with daily application. I mix in a bit of the Rich Vanilla to give it a little pop. I use my old BM brushes to apply: the face foundation brush to apply the primer and finishing powder and BM "handibuki" to apply the foundation. Not one break out to date! This mineral line has my full respect and love. Highly recommended.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2008 8:02:00 PM More reviews by sassycherz

I have a love-hate relationship with this mineral powder foundation from Laura Mercier.

First off, I can't find a perfect match. I got Real Sand and it's a shade lighter on me on my 'darker' days. The SA at the LM counter also tried Rich Vanilla on me, which I think is a shade too dark on me (might be able to work when I get a tan). My perfect shade would probably be in between Real Sand and Rich Vanilla in LM. I noticed that a lot of users have the same problem as well. Laura Mercier, pls pls consider coming up w a shade that's in between Real Sand and Rich Vanilla. Buying 2 shades and mixing them is a bit tedious and very pricey! But I have to add that both shades can work anyway, I'm just picky about it not being perfect!

This foundation works well with my combination, acne prone skin. It doesn't irritate and keeps my t-zone relatively oil-free for the average 8 hours I have the foundation on. However, I have to be exfoliated and very well moisturised for this foundation to go on smoothly for it will cling in any dry patches I have on my face. For this reason, I have days when my face looks flawless and others where I find it difficult to apply this foundation.

The coverage is sheer to medium and can be layered. I have post-acne scars and redness from my skin being dry and senstive and this foundation covers it up very well. I only need a little concealer for undereyes and very dark blemishes. My normal routine is a light application of tinted moisturiser and buffing this mineral foundation all over with a brush. My absolute love for this foundation is how natural it looks! it really covers well and makes my complexion look natural and glowy. And what's more, this foundation feels so lightweight that it feels like I have nothing on!

I took one lippie off because it doesn't have a perfect colour match for me and on some (minority of) days, it is difficult to make this foundation work for me. But I will definitely keep buying it because on days that it does work, it looks amazing!!

For reference, I'm a: MAC NC30 in Select SPF and C3-C4 in MAC F&B, 40 Sable in Chanel Mat Lumiere Compact and 30 in Chanel Teint Universal.

Note: One tub lasted me approx. 10 months, with everyday application.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2008 2:13:00 PM More reviews by smiley07

i only bought tjis because of the reviews on the website but now im so glad i did.my skin is going through a really bad time after having kids my skin has become hormonal acne type and has made me really depressed lately but thanks to clairette and retin a they have qorked wonders my skin is looking almost as good as before except few blemishes left i dont like heavy coverage look i just like my skin to look flawless with a healthy eventone glow.i normally use mac or chanel and various others but i will not go back to them again unless i get bored of this which i dont think is possibble .my skin has been reacting to anything so foundation was an issue.this powder is just fav no spots itching irritation nothing just great natural looking skin with a healthy glow im really pleased i am mac nc42 chanel naturel so rich vanilla is perrrfect its fab shade is excellent for my yellow undertones will buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2008 7:51:00 PM More reviews by MamtaAUB

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have tried Bare Minerals and Prescriptives before. LM definitely blows them out of the water. Bare Minerals requires too many steps (mineral veil, foundation, etc)..and prescriptives made my pores very noticeable. This blends in very naturally and does somehow give you a glow that the others did not. I also like the packaging..the lid rotates to block out unused powder. The others would flip open in my makeup bag and powder everywhere. I' ll continue to use this brand until I find a new obsession.