Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 5/27/2012 8:48:00 PM

I'm one of those people that can't put anything on my face without breaking out or having a bad irritation.
Coconut Oil when it's organic has helped heal my skin, I didn't apply it for a few days and broke out just like I used to, it's anti bacterial and could honestly do nothing bad for you.
It has cleared my skin, made it more supple and have smaller pores
although it is an oil, like a cooking oil and the 'packaging' isn't good
it's melting point is 24 degrees celsius so if you live somewhere hot it'll be a liquid almost always if not, kind of jelly. If you live somewhere medium-cool temp its a solid and it's hard to get out of the container but once you work it into your fingers it glides on.
It's also a little expensive, where I live a medium sized container cost me $20 CAD, but this will last me a long time as I use it as a hair mask once a week ish and twice a day on my face, a little goes a long way

try coconut oil if you want help to clear acne, scars, skin texture, moisture loss, dehydration and everything else.

edit: changing from 5 to 2 because I have never had such bad skin in my life since continuing use of this, I'd say to use it more as a treatment instead of a moisturizer.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Cool

I think this is great :) it is very versatile; skin moisturizer, scalp conditioner, and pretty good to cook with or so I've heard.

I use this on my legs because in winter they get very dry! If you are going to use it on skin, you really need to dilute it, either with a moisturizer or a lighter oil such as almond oil for arms and legs. I wouldn't recommend it for the face because it leaves a very slick layer and may break you out.

For the hair with a light oil such as almond oil. Best not to use coconut oil straight up on it's own, it is a very heavy thick oil. But sometimes I don't dilute because I get lazy haha. It makes your hair feel very silky and moisturized! My boyfriend loves playing with my hair after I use it. Although it does take 2-3 washes to get it out, but I think it's worth it. I use this 1 every fortnight, I don't get much time to indulge myself :(.

Price:varies, I got mine for AU$15, 550g

Packing: varies
Buy again: YUP :)
Always dilute, try not to use it straight because it is oily, thick and cakey/heavy

on 5/25/2012 5:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Coconut oil is one of several oils I have used for thirty years to luxuriously moisturise, smooth, and condition my skin. It gets rid of any poor tone, dryness and milia (goosebumps) on the arms and legs caused by a lack of fatty acids in the diet and body. It is completely innocuous regarding reactions and allergies compared to the multi-chemical potions peddled by the mega-cosmeti-cos. The extra-virgin stuff, usually from an emerging economy that needs support from the wealthy west, smells like some erotic potion. Dig your fingers into a wide-topped jar costing about five dollars and experience indulgent beauty.

on 5/23/2012 4:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I really wanted to like this. after going through a phase of using all natural products i read up on this and it seemed like a perfect moisturiser. Sadly this did not agree with my face. For the first day coconut oil was amazing and then it went downhill.
i reacted horribly and i still have red marks on my jaw from it. i tried everything, using a little amount, wiping off with a damp cloth instead of rinsing and nothing worked. after 3 weeks of using it i gave up. If it works for you then great, but if it doesn't like me then i guess its not the end of the world as its not expensive.

BUT i still use coconut oil in my hair and have been doing so since i was 14. i leave it in overnight and wash it out in the morning, and my hair is nice, soft and moisturised.

on 5/20/2012 9:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I used to use this for my hair, since I always used to blow-dry it. I would smear it all over my hair, wrap it in a towel, and sleep on it, and wash my hair in the morning, more or less every other day. It seriously made my hair shiny, manageable, and strong and soft.

Now, I mix it with Holland & Barrett Wonder Oil for pre-wash (clarify) oil-treatment and smoothing out frizz after wash. I have never needed any protein treatment for my 2c/coarse/low porosity/normal elasticity with this.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Cool

Very conditioning but jsut make sure you dont put too much near your roots

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I use extra virgin organic coconut oil on my hair. It is the only oil proven to absorb into the cortex of the hair and prevent protein loss. I have found it to be very conditioning on the hair, and wonderful for the scalp. Often the best beauty treatments have been around for ages, and are very inexpensive.

on 5/20/2012 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Coconut Oil is a true godsend.

I have been using this stuff since I was born. My Mum used to rub it into my hair and I have been using it regularly for most of my life. It is the reason I have healthy hair and nails.

Coconut oil tends to solidify so I usually put it in a bowl to float in a larger bowl of warm water. This warms up the oil gently and is perfect for rubbing in. I rub the oil into my hair and scalp and wrap it up in a towel for 30 mins or even overnight. This treatment makes my scalp healthy and my hair strong and glossy. It is incredible.

I also rub this into my nails and it keep my cuticles soft and nails strong. Coconut oil is also great for dry skin patches on elbows and knees.

This is really cheap in South Asian grocery stores which is where I always buy it.

Coconut oil is one of nature's gifts to us. Definitely give it a try!

on 5/19/2012 12:07:00 PM

Bear with me: I first used coconut oil for eye infections for my pets. Since this oil kills bacteria, I used it when they developed eye crust. I would rub some oil onto their eyes with a cotton pad. After a while, I decided to rub it in my eyes too. Hey, if it worked for them!

Anyways, my lashes began to look healthier, which I noticed when applying mascara. The skin around my eyes were very hydrated. I ran of out my Dior Capture totale lotion, and that stuff is way too expensive to buy on my budget (it was a gift). I just began using coconut oil and viola, my skin is moisturized.

It doesn't work miracles, but it worked for me. I buy mine at Trader Joes for around $6. It lasts through anything, and it's a great all purpose oil to have. I mix it with tumeric too!

Tl; dr Coconut oil is cheap, it works for eye infections, it makes my skin super soft.

on 5/17/2012 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Coconut Oil is my go to for everything. I use it on just about every inch of my body daily and LOVE IT! It sinks into the skin relatively quickly so you don't feel greasy, while still feeling silky smooth. I use it as my facial moisturizer- day and night. I use it to tame the fly aways on my hair. I mix mineral makeup into it for a tinted moisturizer that looks 100% natural-no one can tell I'm wearing any makeup. I mix it with sugar, honey, and turmeric for a mask that makes my skin literally radiate glowy dewiness. After 3 years of daily use, I can honestly say my skin is pretty freaking amazing and wrinkle free. I FREAKING LOVE COCONUT OIL!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products