July 31, 2014 | 2020 users online

Concealers - Lancome - Effacernes

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2008 5:33:00 PM More reviews by jessicagraham

I am so glad I finally found the perfect undereye concealer! I bought Effacernes Waterproof concealer almost a year and a half ago, I still have a bit left after using it literally EVERY SINGLE DAY. Why it's a life-changing concealer:
-- A little goes a loooong way. I'm very impressed!
-- Covers my undereye circles while blending with the rest of my skintone without looking fake.
-- Waterproof! Great for humid weather. Great for heat. Great for all-day wear.
-- Nice matte finish. Never greasy, so it won't rub off or melt.
-- Heavy duty yet natural finish. Not cakey, just pat gently with your fingers.
-- Packaging is clever, that's why my concealer has lasted so long.

It may seem pricey for a concealer, but the longevity of this product makes it well worth the investment. I never used over blemishes because it's designed for the undereye area, so can't say if it clogs pores or not. I have friends who tried this product after I told them about it and they swear by it now. My quest for the perfect concealer has ended!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2008 10:29:00 PM More reviews by skincarejunkee

This is the best concealer that I've tried. My second favorite is Le Clerc, but it was expensive and only lasted a month. I have tried Armani, Bobbie Brown, Laura Mercier, Trish McEvoy, and many others. I love Effacernes Waterproof formula, because it is great for my oily skin, looks natural, and long lasting. And the concealer is awesome for hot and humid summers in Texas.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2008 5:25:00 AM More reviews by mc876

This concealer is great for under eyes as it doesn't settle into lines. It's waterproof which is great too. I use a concealer brush with this product. Perhaps I have a wrong color; it doesn't cover my circles completely and under certain lighting, my circles look a tad bit greyish but that doesn't bother me much. What's important to me is that this product doesn't move and settle into creases under my eyes during facial movements.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2008 12:14:00 PM More reviews by jomdaly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

For most of my life, because of a tight budget, I have used drugstore makeup and was happy enough with it. Now, at 50, I am making enough money to try a few higher end products. Some I love and some I don't think are worth the money. That said, I have some flaws, rosacea and veins around my nose. This concealer is a winner. You need only a small amount, it covers everything and matches my foundation. It lasts all day and does not require a lot of work to blend. I don't think I'll have to repurchase again, but certainly will when the time comes.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2008 6:58:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE (03/2010): there is escape, and I've moved on: for the undereye and other blue-purple areas--TheBalm Time Balm; for the eyelid--LM Eye Basics in Linen.

HG. There's seemingly no escape from The Best. Like other reviewers here, that's after trying many... Sigh. Rediscovered old tube from last year when clearing out old cosmetics. And it's still perfect. Creamy concealer for eye area, slightly moisturising, long-lasting, sweatproof and waterproof, has gentle stuff (chamomile and cornflower extracts, no fragrance), and bonus mineral sunscreen (TiO2, SPF 12).

I've used this off and on for years for three purposes:

(1) On the eyelids, to disguise freckles and pink, lilac, and blue, due to very thin skin and blood-vessels showing through. I'm using shade 01 Beige Pastel, also called Porcelaine. It's a good match, light and natural-looking on Gingerrama skin - eyelid discoloration aside, cool-tone v.v.v. pale (slightly lighter and more blue than MAC NW15). Lasts impeccably. Can be drying towards the end of the day in winter - I just stick cream on top if that happens, and all is well.

(2) It's also meant to be used as an under-eye concealer. I can't comment, as on Bad Under-Eye Days I used cold wet teabags, and I don't have genetic dark circles, just self-inflicted ones. I know several people (and see the praises of further MUA reviewers here!) who love this stuff specifically for its circle action.

(3) As a general-purpose concealer: good - didn't break me out - stays on well, and is sweatproof and waterproof, so great for hot summers and swimming. No reactions (on this sensitive skin). Currently not really using any face makeup, so not an issue.

On the eyelids, it blends well, and you don't need much. Makes eyelids look YBB, discoloration erased, smooth finish, slightly brightening, not too matte, not too shiny: just right. Being in a tube means the cream keeps well, and one avoids sticking germs etc. into it. On initial application, it is slightly yellow, but dries to a more natural colour. Apply too much, and it goes very yellow. It does dry fast, so can be tricky to sort out excesses.

The Eff also has the added benefit of providing some mineral-only SPF (TiO2), without irritation. Lancome should be praised to the high heavens for this - the more sunscreen in skincare and cosmetics, the better. Especially around our more wrinkle-prone zones, and a good temporary solution if going out in a rush without putting sunscreen on. But the SPF is low (12). So not a substitute for sunscreen, but rather, a helpful supplement. I use my regular facial sunscreen all around the eye area (pretty much up to the lash line) before applying the Eff.

This stuff works at least as well as parallel products within my budget and that looked more suitable for sensitive skin (BeneFit, Bobbi Brown, Boots, Bourjois, Clarins, Clinique, Revlon, tested the legendary YSL). Results lay between "nowhere as good" and "plain disastrous" - managing to dry me out, turn me shiny and greasy, settle into and highlight every line and crease, float into my eyes, break me out, irritate (with comical inflammation! yay!!), etc. The Eff is markedly similar to a L'Oreal Visible Lift under-eye concealer in a tiny tube I used to use in the US, not seen it in the EU, hence initial reason for using the Lancome as the nearest equivalent here. Though the Lancome has far better consistency and staying power than the L'Oreal, which I found drying and smeary.

Costs around USD / GBP18.00 / EUR 24.00 for 15 ml, and the tube lasts a good year, used daily. It's a very good buy compared to the twisty- or clicky-pen concealers that tend to contain 1.5 - 2.5 ml.

This stuff is so good that I took two lippies off and still ended up with 5. How good is that.

One lippie off as there aren't many colours available. The shades tend to run a bit yellow - lacking in range, not covering the pink, lilac, and cyan undertones. None for any darker skin tones.

A second lippie off as I'm grudging in my return to this product not because it's not good - it's great - but for an ethical niggle.*

INGREDIENTS (c/o Productjunkie76): WATER / AQUA CYCLOPENTASILOXANE HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE SORBITAN ISOSTEARATE PROPYLENE GLYCOL TITANIUM DIOXIDE ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE OZOKERITE HEXYLENE GLYCOL UREA STEARIC ACID GLYCOSAMINOGLYCANS HONEY / MEL TOCOPHEROL SODIUM HYALURONATE SILICA CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA EXTRACT / CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE MAGNESIUM SULFATE DISODIUM EDTA DISODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE CENTAUREA CYANUS FLOWER EXTRACT / CENTAUREA CYANUS DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE POLYDIHYDROXYINDOLE ACRYLATES COPOLYMER METHYLPARABEN PROPYLPARABEN DIAZOLIDINYL UREA MAY CONTAIN [+/- MICA TITANIUM DIOXIDE / CI 77891 IRON OXIDES / CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 ]

*I'd sworn off Lancome due to animal testing issues. To be fair, the company is currently investing in alternative testing, and (according to one source but not two others) has a moratorium on testing any products sold on the European market. This is all partly due to current and impending EU law on animal testing in cosmetics. Anyway, I'm appeasing my conscience by corresponding and campaigning, and thought I'd pass on the good news that Lancome claim to be taking cruelty issues seriously, putting money into alternative testing methods, and using the cruelty-free experience of one of their companies, The Body Shop. Their reasons for doing so - couldn't comment.
continued >>

12 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2008 8:28:00 AM More reviews by bronzebabe19

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So, I have been hunting concealers like crazy, and honestly, this one has been the best for me. I have a dry undereye area, yet somehow, concealers always crease on me and look icky. I always moisturize my eye area first, apply concealer, then set it with powder, yet every single one I've tried has creased, or just looked plain nasty. Until I found Lancome Effacernes. It doesn't cover my circles completely 100%, but more importantly...it doesn't crease at all! I have finally reached a point where I think that no concealer is perfect for me, but I'm so fed up with searching, I'm ready to call this my HG. I use it in Claire II in the fall/summer/spring, and Porcelain I in the winter. I have tried everything from YSL touche eclat to Cle De Peau (good coverage, but dried out my skin) and Effacernes ends my search

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2008 8:13:00 PM More reviews by Carlita22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like this concealer. I have oily skin, and oily eyelids, too. I have a big problem with concealers that slide around on me. Laura Mercier's secret concealer was the worst for that. But with this product, once I set it with a little loose powder, I'm good till I take it off. Looks natural, doesn't cake into my lines. I will repurchase, because this is the best under eye concealer I have found yet.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2008 2:29:00 PM More reviews by trisha

This is my go-to concealer for my dark undereye circles. I've tried a ton of different concealers for this problem, and none of them compare to this one. I use Porcelaine I mostly, but have started using the Light Buff because the Porcelaine I turned out to be too light when I saw it in photos. For the most part it doesn't crease or settle into the lines under my eyes, except if I spend a few hours laughing or set it with powder foundation, in which case the combination of the concealer and powder foundation cause it to crease. The tubes last me forever too! And I use it on a daily basis!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2008 11:24:00 AM More reviews by lindzmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Covers undereyes great...doesnt crease, smudge, or cake up...brightens eye area wonderfully. I dab all around eye area, not just underneath...dab a little around my nose to cover morning redness. color can sometimes tend to look a little greyish when my circles are really bad, but overall good color. i chose one lighter than my natural shade for a brightening effect. I put a little on my cheeks once to try and cover up some reddness and it definitely settled into the dryness and showed so I will stick to putting it strictly under eyes. Tube is small for the price of 26.50 @ Macy's but a little goes a long way and my tube has lasted me foreveeeerrr...plus, what does price matter when you actually find a great makeup product?? right?

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2008 1:05:00 AM More reviews by coutureaura

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This concealer was my first I love it and it works really well its not noticable and covers up all your blemishes fairly nicely! I am going to try some other concealer because I have heard that the creme concealers are better but I would definately suggest this it is expensive though!