April 23, 2014 | 1945 users online

Cleansers - MAC - Cleanse Off Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2008 2:15:00 PM More reviews by tenacious_d

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Where has cleansing oil been all my life?? Thank god for MUA, otherwise I'd still be stripping my face with traditional soapy-type face cleansers that don't even work. This removes all my longwearing makeup, including my waterproof Diorshow mascara that nothing else could ever get off. My skin feels so comfortable and clean after washing, never tight or dry. I find I don't battle flakey skin and clogged pores like I used to. I've tried DHC cleansing oil, but I prefer MAC because it rinses better, and because of the fragrance. It is really, really yummy smelling.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2008 4:12:00 AM More reviews by lifedespitegodtwopointoh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a good cleansing oil, and doesn't irritate or dry out my sensitive skin. I prefer it to Clinique's take the day off balm, as I find it rinses cleaner. However, unfortunately I find this doesn't melt off all makeup the way it promises. I use MAC studio fix, and even after applying this to dry skin, massaging it in thoroughly, and rinsing, I still need a toner or cleansing wipe to get all of the makeup off of my face, or to wipe this off with a baby washcloth at the very least. (I know makeup is left on my face because I see it on the cleansing wipe, and I suspect some of my physical block sunscreen is left as well).

I do like the smell of this product, and I find that it removes makeup better than most cleansers -- it's just not foolproof with long-wearing makeup. It dissolves eye makeup without burning my eyes, which is rare for a cleanser, especially one with fragrance. It's not a bad cleansing oil, it's just not a foolproof way to "melt" off your makeup and sunscreen.

I would repurchase this in the future if money was less of a concern -- the next time I actually buy a cleansing oil, this will be it. However, the $20 is a little expensive for me right now, so I'll stick to dissolving my makeup with some olive oil and rinsing off with a foaming cleanser -- less convenient than Cleanse Off Oil, but just as effective.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2008 10:46:00 PM More reviews by moonage_daydream

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have tried many different mu removers- wipes, gels, creams- but I always keep coming back to oil. Mac's cleanse off oil especially, is a stand-out for me. I have combo skin and yet I use this all year round.

It feels very light and takes little effort to get off eye mu (I don't wear waterproof mascara though). I rarely get bleary eye when using this. The best part is that it rinses off fairly clean with just water. I always use a cleanser after it, but I don't feel like I have to wipe it off with a washcloth and it doesn't leave heavy oily residue on my face.

Also when I use toner after, the cotton pad is completely clear of mu which doesn't always happen with other mu removers.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2008 8:32:00 PM More reviews by llyangel

My HG make up remover. I use this with my dermalogica sponge cloth or my aveda shammy and I cannot recommend this enough. This stuffs removes my make up - mascara, eyeliner absolutely everything with just a few pumps of product and no harsh scrubbing. This oil even helps to keep my cloths stain free - a simple rinse and this helps to remove all the make up from my cloths like magic. I don't feel the need to use a seperate cleanser after this either, I just rinse and my skin is perfectly clean. A really fantastic product from MAC, Love it!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2008 1:59:00 PM More reviews by MavenMel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I bought my MAC 187 brush, the MA suggested this for cleaning it. I was kind of skeptical so she loaded two 187's with foundation, cleaned one with this and one with Brush Cleanser. Wow! This took all the foundation off in no time. It definitely took a lot longer with the Brush Cleanser. Cleansing Oil emulsifies with water so when you rinse it off the brush doesn't feel oily, just nice and conditioned and the tips of my 187 are bright white. Its great for cleaning all makeup brushes. I do use my homemade brush cleaner (thanks for the recipe I found on Makeupalley) for quick disinfection between uses and then use Cleansing Oil once/week. I have not tried this on my face yet, as I'm happy with my current skincare (Dr. H, Jurlique, Weleda and jojoba oil) and don't want to risk upsetting my somewhat sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2008 12:49:00 PM More reviews by akakris

I have oily skin, so naturally, I was wary of putting oil on my face, but the thought of being able to take off my makeup and wash my face, in one step instead of two, intruiged me.

MAC Cleansing Oil takes off my waterproof mascara, eyeshadow, and eyeliner with just a few seconds of rubbing, a little splash of water, and then I'm done! What makes it even more impressive is that I NEVER wake up with raccoon eyes -- a huge plus for someone who was used to doing a little extra "clean-up" every morning.

It costs about $23, but is well worth the money. I've been using a couple of pumps/day for the past month and have barely made a dent in it. Much more efficient than the eye makeup removers I've used in the past that ran out after a month or two!

P.S. I have fairly sensitive skin and after a month of using this, have not broken out at all.

I'll never use anything else!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2008 6:35:00 PM More reviews by Hyperduckz3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this stuff! Before purchasing this, I used to use just a regular cleanser (Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser). After using a toner, I would always notice that there was still a lot of makeup left on my face. This contributed to breakouts because it was clogging my pores. I have had MAC cleanse off oil for about 4 months now & I can honestly say that it has made an improvement in my skin. My routine every night is: 1. Cleanse Off Oil on dry face. Massage all over face (even eyes). Wash off with water. 2. Use regular cleanser (you could probably do with out this, but I like having a SUPER clean face lol). 3. Tone (I love witch hazel). Now when I tone, there is no sign of any make up :D. This stuff smells great & lasts forever (still on my first bottle!). Good stuff!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2008 6:17:00 PM More reviews by vallerina5chu

I was looking for a less expensive alternative to my Estee Lauder (E/L) Take It Away makeup remover ... but the drug store versions (Neutrogena) burned my skin and left it splotchy and broken out. So I've resigned myself to the department store brands for the all-over makeup remover. This one from MAC is superb. I was wary of the oil-based solution but I read on here that users follow-up with a regular cleanser (which I did with the E/L anyway). I just use one pump of the Cleanse Off Oil and massage all over my dry face, then follow up with J&J Clean & Clear Steam In-Shower Facial cleanser ... and it gets just about everything off. I still have to follow up with a separate eye makeup remover - I wonder if MAC's Cleanse Off Oil is safe to use on the eye area? However, the packaging could be more "travel friendly" (I'm paranoid about getting this oil all everything) so I'm using the little bit left of my E/S when I travel. The scent is pleasant and not strong, and it moistens & preps my skin for my glycolic cleanser. I have dry, sensitive skin and am prone to the occasional break out.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2008 10:36:00 AM More reviews by Beauty0Marked

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Skin Type: Dry/sensitive skin prone to occasional breakouts around jawline.

This is great for removing all traces of makeup. I usually use a REN cleanser but when I dry my face I find that it hasnít done a great job of removing my makeup. This has eliminated that problem completely. This is especially great for ensuring that you have removed all trace of mascara which I find particularly difficult.
Although you can use this on its own, I do prefer to use a cleanser afterwards but I know it has removed my makeup so itís really just a personal preference. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2008 5:36:00 PM More reviews by nicurly

I love this cleansing oil!! I use this to remove my shiseido ss and makeup and then follow up with my md forte III for any residue. This combo works well for me. I like the fact that I can find this easily especially because I am in Canada and I have to order everything else online. I usually switch between this one and dhc's (which I also found locally at Pacific Mall!!) My skin type is oily, acne-prone and it has never caused any sort of reaction. It is also fairly cheap compared to other cleansing oils on the market and I love the light lemon scent.