August 22, 2014 | 2021 users online

Cleansers - MAC - Cleanse Off Oil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2008 7:47:00 AM More reviews by bebe_girl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

this is my first time using cleansing oil to remove makeup as i usually use cleansing milk instead. i must say i'm very satisfied with my purchase. this removes even the most stubborn makeup without any use of cotton pads (very convenient and practical) and the oils don't break me out! all of my waterproof foundations come off more easily with this stuff than by using a cleansing milk. will surely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2008 11:43:00 PM More reviews by hotAsFiya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

You know, I understand MUA loves cleansing oils and this is one of the board favorites. You'd think that for someone who's an employee and who wears a full face on work days, I'd be all for this product. The truth is that 1. I find cleansing oils to be an additional step I dont personally need (at least for the most part) and 2. every single time I've used this I've had a weird reaction to it and my skin does *not* love it. This left my face extremely irritated and patchy, as if I had hives or something! I also ended up with a gazillion irritation bumps and clogged pores. No thanks.
A cleansing oil is just not an extra step I like to take personally. My HG cleanser takes all my makeup off and keeps my skin clear already. I do, however, keep this in my kit for those times when I'm doing stage makeup and such.
Oh...wait...one thing I do like using this for is to get the grime and oils off my makeup brushes. Girls...you should try this, especially on your foundation brushes along with whatever else you use to clean your brushes. You'd be suprised how much crap comes off those suckers!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2008 9:57:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

Bought it at a CCO, and I was interested because I have heard of oil's that remove makeup and cleanse, but never used one. It does the job, breaks apart the foundation/mascara/shadow.. you name it. Then I use a gentle cleanser like cetaphil bar soap to remove the rest and the oil. If you have very dry skin, maybe the oil is all you need but most people want to cleanse it away.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2008 6:56:00 AM More reviews by firework_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been using Shu's cleansing oil (the a/o) for a couple of years now & have been extremely happy with it. Last time I ran out they didn't have any left at my Shu counter so I decided to give MAC's cleanse off oil a try.
It does as good a job as the Shu oil at removing my make-up without being harsh or having to scrub and does leave my skin feeling soft after but it's just not the oil for me.
Firstly there's the scent, which I find a bit overwhelming. It's not unpleasant, just strong.
The worst part? It's resulted in me breaking out on my chin & jawline. Big, painful spots that look almost bruised. At first I wasn't sure whether this product was the culprit but the only other new thing I've been using is a night cream. I don't wear make-up every day & the spots popped up after I'd removed my make-up with this. Something I never encountered once with the Shu oil.
It would have been great if this had worked for me because it's easier to get hold of. Unfortunately it's a case of hoping that Shu have some of my regular cleansing oil in stock.
UPDATE: I've been using the night cream that I thought could also be blamed for my outbreak with no problems at all so it was definitely the Cleanse Off Oil that caused it. I've been using it to clean my make-up brushes that I use for emollient-based products (making sure I use brush cleanser afterwards) and it's fantastic for that purpose.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2008 2:15:00 PM More reviews by tenacious_d

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Where has cleansing oil been all my life?? Thank god for MUA, otherwise I'd still be stripping my face with traditional soapy-type face cleansers that don't even work. This removes all my longwearing makeup, including my waterproof Diorshow mascara that nothing else could ever get off. My skin feels so comfortable and clean after washing, never tight or dry. I find I don't battle flakey skin and clogged pores like I used to. I've tried DHC cleansing oil, but I prefer MAC because it rinses better, and because of the fragrance. It is really, really yummy smelling.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2008 4:12:00 AM More reviews by lifedespitegodtwopointoh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a good cleansing oil, and doesn't irritate or dry out my sensitive skin. I prefer it to Clinique's take the day off balm, as I find it rinses cleaner. However, unfortunately I find this doesn't melt off all makeup the way it promises. I use MAC studio fix, and even after applying this to dry skin, massaging it in thoroughly, and rinsing, I still need a toner or cleansing wipe to get all of the makeup off of my face, or to wipe this off with a baby washcloth at the very least. (I know makeup is left on my face because I see it on the cleansing wipe, and I suspect some of my physical block sunscreen is left as well).

I do like the smell of this product, and I find that it removes makeup better than most cleansers -- it's just not foolproof with long-wearing makeup. It dissolves eye makeup without burning my eyes, which is rare for a cleanser, especially one with fragrance. It's not a bad cleansing oil, it's just not a foolproof way to "melt" off your makeup and sunscreen.

I would repurchase this in the future if money was less of a concern -- the next time I actually buy a cleansing oil, this will be it. However, the $20 is a little expensive for me right now, so I'll stick to dissolving my makeup with some olive oil and rinsing off with a foaming cleanser -- less convenient than Cleanse Off Oil, but just as effective.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2008 10:46:00 PM More reviews by moonage_daydream

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have tried many different mu removers- wipes, gels, creams- but I always keep coming back to oil. Mac's cleanse off oil especially, is a stand-out for me. I have combo skin and yet I use this all year round.

It feels very light and takes little effort to get off eye mu (I don't wear waterproof mascara though). I rarely get bleary eye when using this. The best part is that it rinses off fairly clean with just water. I always use a cleanser after it, but I don't feel like I have to wipe it off with a washcloth and it doesn't leave heavy oily residue on my face.

Also when I use toner after, the cotton pad is completely clear of mu which doesn't always happen with other mu removers.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2008 8:32:00 PM More reviews by llyangel

My HG make up remover. I use this with my dermalogica sponge cloth or my aveda shammy and I cannot recommend this enough. This stuffs removes my make up - mascara, eyeliner absolutely everything with just a few pumps of product and no harsh scrubbing. This oil even helps to keep my cloths stain free - a simple rinse and this helps to remove all the make up from my cloths like magic. I don't feel the need to use a seperate cleanser after this either, I just rinse and my skin is perfectly clean. A really fantastic product from MAC, Love it!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2008 1:59:00 PM More reviews by MavenMel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I bought my MAC 187 brush, the MA suggested this for cleaning it. I was kind of skeptical so she loaded two 187's with foundation, cleaned one with this and one with Brush Cleanser. Wow! This took all the foundation off in no time. It definitely took a lot longer with the Brush Cleanser. Cleansing Oil emulsifies with water so when you rinse it off the brush doesn't feel oily, just nice and conditioned and the tips of my 187 are bright white. Its great for cleaning all makeup brushes. I do use my homemade brush cleaner (thanks for the recipe I found on Makeupalley) for quick disinfection between uses and then use Cleansing Oil once/week. I have not tried this on my face yet, as I'm happy with my current skincare (Dr. H, Jurlique, Weleda and jojoba oil) and don't want to risk upsetting my somewhat sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2008 12:49:00 PM More reviews by akakris

I have oily skin, so naturally, I was wary of putting oil on my face, but the thought of being able to take off my makeup and wash my face, in one step instead of two, intruiged me.

MAC Cleansing Oil takes off my waterproof mascara, eyeshadow, and eyeliner with just a few seconds of rubbing, a little splash of water, and then I'm done! What makes it even more impressive is that I NEVER wake up with raccoon eyes -- a huge plus for someone who was used to doing a little extra "clean-up" every morning.

It costs about $23, but is well worth the money. I've been using a couple of pumps/day for the past month and have barely made a dent in it. Much more efficient than the eye makeup removers I've used in the past that ran out after a month or two!

P.S. I have fairly sensitive skin and after a month of using this, have not broken out at all.

I'll never use anything else!