December 19, 2014 | 1375 users online

Cleansers - Noxzema - Original Skin Cream

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 2/23/2009 11:25:00 PM More reviews by rebeccacribb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I use this product occassionally mostly as a shave cream or for sunburn in summer. I don't use it on my face simply because I have very reactive skin and the fragrance and menthol seems to irritate it. I use Pears soap or Nonie of Beverly Hills cleanser.

I disagree with missnat's review below, calcium hydroxide is a lime as opposed to a lye, but both are very strong alkalis and lime is actually used to produce lye. Also, camphor and eucalyptus globulus leaf oils both contain phenols. For those who are interested, propylene glycol is essentially radiator coolant. Now I am not here to say if these ingredients are good or bad for skin, but the reviewer who stated that lye and phenol are contained in this product was not telling a lie.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2009 10:57:00 PM More reviews by brandylee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Alot of people have used this in my family over the years so I've used it on and off quite a few times- but after not having used it for a few years, I had to use it a few months ago when I forgot to bring my face wash into the shower and decided to use my moms Noxema. While I love the tingling sensation, my face just doesn't feel clean from this, but I think I have an issue with things that don't like foam up, I need that to feel clean. I have really really oily skin and clogged pores so I have alot of mental anxiety about it and I can't stand things that don't make my face feel clean like the soap is getting all of the oil off..Like I said, love the smell and the tingly, but it just doesn't clean well enough for me and I'm suprised it's still so popular- though my mom loves it. i prefer soaps that come in a bar but I don't know why lol I also hate the jar it comes in, it's just a pain and I don't like the version that comes in a pump either.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2009 9:08:00 PM More reviews by Kairin

67% would repurchase?! Y'all got SOME NERVE. This is the utmost BEST PRODUCT OUT THERE.
My grandfather was the first to use this product. My mother got it from him and recommended it for me for my acne and scars. I used it once. God's gift for my acne and scars. Not one line or bump on my face. Didn't use makeup at all. My mother and grandfather look SO MUCH YOUNGER and BEAUTIFUL than others their age. I used it and had flawless skin. I broke out when I became a FOOL and experimented with other products leading to the need to wear makeup in my Junior year of high school. Now that I went back to my love: my face is healing wonderfully. It's true: mother always knows best.

Refreshing, smooth, deep cleansing, flawless feel of the skin. Is not for artificial skin by those other unhealthy cleansers. Only skin that yearns to become NATURAL.

WOULD REPURCHASE IN A HEART BEAT OR LESS! Fantastic product if you crave that natural, beautiful skin without makeup. Fantastic. Worked for me and my family and never failed. Not enough characters to praise this product. LOVE IT!!! :-D

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2009 4:53:00 PM More reviews by SucreBleu

I fell back in love with this cream... I used to use it when I was in my teenage years, and picked it back up recently. My skin has been a lot less oily with the help of this. It makes it look smooth and refreshed! Love it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2009 1:09:00 AM More reviews by missnat

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I just saw a recent review on this product in which someone said it contained LYE and PHENOL! As an esthetician, I was skeptical, and smelled a "LYE", so I looked up the ingredients and here they are:

Water, Stearic Acid, Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, Cetyl Alcohol, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed), Gelatin, Calcium Hydroxide, Camphor, Menthol, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Carbomer, Triethanolamine

There is no lye or phenol, and I don't think that any of the above ingredients are harmful to the skin at all, unless a person is sensitive or allergic to fragrance, camphor, eucalyptus, or menthol.There is no way that it can cause dark pigmentation unless a person has a severe allergic reaction to it, and even then, it's very unlikey. I have used this cleanser before, and I don't think it's that special, though it's certainly not bad. I think the smell is awesome, but that's a matter of taste- some people don't like menthol. I do NOT trust the word of all estheticians. Some will say anything to get you to quit using what you like and start buying products from them. Better to ask a dermatologist for advice on ingredients, or do some research online.

25 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2009 10:21:00 PM More reviews by Crivera313

HATE! i was using it for a while because I liked the feeling on my face. However, it does nothing for me!? I never break out, yet while using this I did! garbage.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/28/2009 1:53:00 AM More reviews by TinkPink808

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product was ok for me. I used it like 10 years ago. It worked great during my teen years. But now I need something better. My skin is sensitive against this. It's too strong for me. Either it's too drying or the chemical is to harsh.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2009 5:04:00 PM More reviews by BrittyG

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I might take the advice of the reviewer below and use this for a hand cream or something. I am not a fan of this stuff. I want one product that I can wash my face with and feel clean. This is not it. This stuff does give a tingly feeling but leaves a ton of makeup on your face. Not just eyemakeup but foundation. Also, my skin feels filmy after I rinse it off. This does nothing for my acne. Basically I don't like this and won't be using again.. but might finish out my container as an "embalming cream" like that other reviewer said.. lol.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2009 11:26:00 AM More reviews by gottabuyit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff. I've been using it since I was in high school. I have pretty good skin and very rarely ever have a pimple. This stuff was my HG in high school. I've never used it exclusively. I like to use other things. But, I've always used this over the years. I don't know how other people are using it but I usually rinse my face with warm water, apply this stuff and work it like any other cleanser, then rinse it off with warm water. This stuff has worked well for me and when I want to exfoliate with it, I will either use a buff puff type scrubber or mix it with some corn meal. Believe it or not, corn meal and noxema will make a great exfoliant. I used to always use the tub when I was younger, mostly because they didn't have the pump available, but I now like the pump version better than the tub. Either way it's a great product and it does a great job on my skin. I've never had a problem with it burning my skin, but I have noticed that since I've been using a retinol product on my skin that it does seem to create a more "intense' tingle than it used to so you might want to keep that in mind. I will always keep this in my rotation of cleansers, it's a simple, excellent cleanser that does the job great and never leaves my skin dry.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2009 2:49:00 PM More reviews by krumrill

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I used this when I first started getting acne, about eight or nine years ago. It didn't help then, but of course nothing helps when it comes to puberty. I used it again recently, and was surprised how unbelievably clean my face felt. It was so smooth and tingly I couldn't believe it. It's kind of hard to get used to, because I always used rough scrubs and wash cloths to get my skin squeaky clean. It's hard to get used to using such a creamy formula, but if you can it's def. worth it.