January 25, 2015 | 2152 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Finish Light

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2008 1:57:00 PM More reviews by gnappulina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been trying to find a good primer forever for my oily, acne-prone skin. I've tried Bare Escentuals, the regular (not light) Photo Finish by Smashbox, MUFE primer, and Laura Geller. All of those left me immensely disappointed.

I received a sample of this from Sephora and gave it a shot. I noticed it doesn't seem to have the heavy silicone feel that the regular Photo Finish primer does, which was a bonus. It absorbs much more quickly than other primers. This product definitely makes my make-up stay on longer and look better longer, which is quite a feat on my acne prone greasy face. I still sometimes get foundation gathering in my smile lines, but I haven't figured out if that's because I'm putting on too much foundation or not.

It doesn't seem to be breaking me out more, which was a problem with other primers. I've only been using this for two weeks, so I'll update again after another month or so to provide a better evaluation.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/14/2008 9:59:00 PM More reviews by xxpuppetxx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

didnt control the oil on my face either.
im starting to give up on primers and stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2008 9:06:00 AM More reviews by lastaats

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really love this primer! I have oily skin and use Bare Minerals foundation. This Smashbox primer really helps my makeup last all day. I ran out and had to go a few days without and my makeup seriously melted off after just a few hours. I'm so impressed at how well this works at making my skin feel super smooth and soft. It's a little pricey but it goes a long way. I like it better than the original Photo Finish as it seemed heavy on my skin. My only complaint is the packaging...it's hard to get the last bit out of that bottle!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2008 11:49:00 AM More reviews by glossy81

i thought this was pretty good! i read all the bad reviews before i used my sample, so i wasn't expecting much. but this did pleasantly surprise me. this is like a lotion in texture, feels nice though not as nice as the original, and it doesn't make my skin look quite as nice as the original, in my opinion. but what i liked was it did help get the oilies at bay. not totally gone for the day but definitely a decrease in oil. so, overall i thought it was pretty good.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2008 11:28:00 AM More reviews by jcrysy

I think this works well. I used it both as an oil-control product on days that I don't wear makeup, and well as under cream to powder foundation. I think it works very well as both. My face is still shiny by the end of the day, but not as much. No breakouts either.

I hate the price, but I am assured that it will last a while.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2008 11:20:00 PM More reviews by lexiekylee

I actually really like this. I've been using this for a year now and it doesn't irritate my oily/acne prone skin at all. It leaves a nice matte finish and doesn’t cause breakouts like most primers I’ve tried. It’s a little pricey but one bottle will last awhile. This is a great primer for my skin type.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2008 5:36:00 PM More reviews by brandsjunkie

I have dry and acne prone skin so during the winter my skin flakes. I used a moisturizer before just with my foundation and found that after a few hours my foundation turned really cakey and my face was really dry. it was horrible. then some people had told me to try using a primer as well. i checked out several different primers but at sephora i was introduced to the smashbox photo finish light. on the package it said it was meant for people with oily and acne prone skin which was exactly what i was looking for. i started using this primer a few weeks ago. it makes my skin really soft on top of my moisturizer and my foundation pretty much stays put for the rest of the day. i love this product besides its expensive price but definitely worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2008 1:00:00 PM More reviews by dulces78

I like it. I have tried the regular version. I loved how it made my skin look but, I have acne prone skin and one day of use with the regular version would make me breakout by the next day.

I was very excited when I heard they had this light version. I bought it about a month ago and have used off and on (roughly 75%) of the time since.

I use the Outer Peace Acne system so I usually cleanse, moisturized and then apply the "Light Primer". It definitely is nice, I like the feel. I use BE minerals usually after, but looks great under Laura Gellar's phenomenal foundation too. I like that it has SPF as Laura Gellar's foundation does not.

I have since fallen asleep with it on, multiple times, and have not had any adverse reactions to it. I'm in Northern VA and it's been very cold, we've had temps with windchill factor felt like 20 F. I haven't had any problems with dry skin.

I recommend the product highly. BTW, it photographs wonderfully!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/20/2008 10:07:00 AM More reviews by diamondustt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wouldnt say this is a bad primer, but i would deffinetly say its only for very oily to extremly oil skin only. I have combo skin, it can get pretty dry around my mouth and nose yet pretty oily in my t zone area. This primer worked wonders for my t zone but left the area around my mouth and nose in dry patchy flakes! I used this for a year suffering threw it just cause i liked the way it matified so well and held my foundation in place. But the dryness was pretty obvious so i switched and i now use la base pro oil free by lancome and this stuff is great! goes on smothly (photo finish light always went on smooth but then felt kinda dry after). Lancomes la base pro oil free goes on smooth, has limited mattifying abilities but it feels so wonderful and truly makes your foundation GLIDE on. Really a pleasure to use! After I finish my make up I use urban decay's mattifying powder dusted with a brush on my t zone and the combo of the two has way better mattifying powder then photo finish light AND doesnt dry out around my mouth and nose! VIOLA! my problem of the dry mouth is solved and my make up is picture perfect all day! Ive also used and tried every type of primer under the sun and not just on my skin but on alot of my friends and family I have great experience with primers for different skin types so If any one needs any help or has questions please email me! im happy to help on any make up issues! trust me I know them all!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2008 6:15:00 AM More reviews by hanhol

I have been using this for about 6 weeks now, after a recommendation from a make up artist. I don't use it every day, but on evenings, or long days when I want my make up to artist. My skin is acne prone and very sensitive (mineral make up made me break out very badly, that's how sensitive it is) and I liked the idea of having a 'barrier' between my skin and my make up. I don't think this had aggravated my skin, ie. no extra spots, does seem to improve the texture of my skin after application, if my skin was good enough I'd consider going without foundation, sadly it's not... :) my make up does last a good long time without getting shiny (I use in combination with the Urban Decay eye primer potion) and generally helps the make up sit better. Obviously if you have acne prone skin you have to be careful, and this product is not cheap, but I believe if you live in the US you can try it at Sephora, and in the UK at makeup counters (check for local stockists) I got mine off eBay for about £14.99 (I think) I don't know if anyone has counterfeited so only buy off trusted sellers if you're going down that route. You only need a little bit, I dispense a single pump on to my finger it dispenses an amount smaller than a pea, and that is really all you need. Tha packaging is really nice too, and I believe the dispenser was recently changed so you can get all the product out, so make sure you buy a new airless dispenser version.