Smashbox Photo Finish Light

3.4

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Triethanolamine, Decyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oligopeptide-10

on 1/17/2009 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I got this primer thinking it would be less greasy. It's like if I didn't add primer. Doesn't help my makeup. Doesn't fill in pores. Won't buy again!

I received this in a swap... I really don't see the point in this one. I own the regular one and this one and basically i think the light is just like putting baby lotion on your skin... not sure if it really fills in proes very well or anything... I'm gonna try it a couple more times to see what happens... we'll see.

UPDATE!!!
2 days after appliying... MY FACE BROKE OUT SO BAD!!!!!! Up for swap it goes... Bummer!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I never really saw the value in a foundation primer before, though I swear by UDPP. When I finally caved and bought PF-Light by Smashbox, I understood the hype.

I have sensitive skin, that breaks out during PMS/Time of the month woes. Not horribly, but definately two-three pimples per month. Just came off PMS/TOTM, and have been using it for 2 weeks. I use MAC's Studio Fix foundation compact which also tends to clog skin/break people out. I haven't broken out once. My skin has greatly improved by using this primer underneath SF.

My main skin woe besides sensitivity is redness. While this doesn't do anything whatsoever to even out my skin tone, it does provide a great, non-sticky base for my foundation. I would love to try one of the colour correcting ones, but even those felt a bit too heavy. [Hint: Smashbox. Color Adjust Green in a Light version - get on it!] The first day I wore it, my mother commented on how natural my make-up and skin looked.

The packaging is pretty mediocre. To it's advantage, the pump keeps the application sanitary. It's also got a clean feeling that the regular PF [judging by testing] does not. The price though is a bit steep, though it is worth it to be able to use make-up and not have that "OMIGAWD. I'm going to break out!" feeling. I also find 1 pump is not enough for me - I'm at around 1.5, but maybe I just have a chubby face.

I took off one lippy for the price, the packaging quality, and the fact that it doesn't do that much to even out skintone. Not anymore than a regular moisturizer, IMO.

on 1/3/2009 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I like the silky texture of this primer. It helps foundation and concealer to glide on quite easily. It also seems to slightly even out my skin tone. However, the primer is quite expensive (about 36 dollars). I'm not quite sure if I notice enough of a difference when using the Smashbox primer to want to spend that much money.

on 1/1/2009 5:57:00 PM

Don't understand the point of this. I don't see a difference at all. I don't see how this is a 'light' version of Photo Finish. I don't see any similarities whatsoever. At least the original smoothed out my skin and filled in wrinkles. This does go on smoothly but it practically disappears. I'm not going to waste my money on this again.

on 12/30/2008 8:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I only have the small version of this, as I bought it specifically for my wedding and needed to make sure that if I had a bad reaction to it (it happens) that I didn't waste $32+.

Both me and my cousin found that it made my skin very soft & velvety. I think it makes a difference when I put on foundation or tinted moisturizer.

on 12/29/2008 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other

I wear this everyday. It makes such a difference under foundation. It can be a little drying but if you have combo skin like me - that's a plus. Just make sure you exfoliate well.

on 12/18/2008 12:06:00 AM

I absolute love this primer! This is much better than my Laura Mercier primer. I have dry combination skin, but this product still works for me, because I hate the greasy feeling of primers for normal/dry skin. It gives you a smooth matte finish - the perfect base for my Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer.

on 12/17/2008 1:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I've been trying to find a good primer forever for my oily, acne-prone skin. I've tried Bare Escentuals, the regular (not light) Photo Finish by Smashbox, MUFE primer, and Laura Geller. All of those left me immensely disappointed.

I received a sample of this from Sephora and gave it a shot. I noticed it doesn't seem to have the heavy silicone feel that the regular Photo Finish primer does, which was a bonus. It absorbs much more quickly than other primers. This product definitely makes my make-up stay on longer and look better longer, which is quite a feat on my acne prone greasy face. I still sometimes get foundation gathering in my smile lines, but I haven't figured out if that's because I'm putting on too much foundation or not.

It doesn't seem to be breaking me out more, which was a problem with other primers. I've only been using this for two weeks, so I'll update again after another month or so to provide a better evaluation.

on 12/14/2008 9:59:00 PM

didnt control the oil on my face either.
im starting to give up on primers and stuff.

Popular Primer/ Correctors