October 21, 2014 | 2051 users online

Eyes - MAC - Paint Pot in Rubenesque

rated 1 of 5 on 10/17/2007 5:37:00 PM More reviews by lvh75

I loved this color in the pot and bought it without hesitation when I was at the cosmetics counter, but when I got home and tried it on, it looked horrible on me. I'm not sure why, but eyeshadows that have a hint of rose gold and shimmery in texture all tend to make my eyelids look terribly crepey and old. Maybe since my skin is yellow-golden olive, this shade blends into my eyelid too much and only the frosty shimmer remains, making my lids look crepey. I'm sure it would look beautiful on everyone else, but not me. Sadly, it is going back to the store.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2007 3:43:00 PM More reviews by Honoria

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I too am loving this golden peach colour. I thought it'd wash out my
skin but just adds the right amount of colour and shimmer. I love how it stays put all day and I love how you can build it up to a more metallic lid, for night, it'd be too garish for day. So far I've used this on its own all over the lid, with a little Artjam paint as as liner and it looks really great. I've yet to try it as a base. I would have given this 5 lippies but there are two things holding that back. One, glass pots makes toting them around a little heavy (especially if you have a lot of them) and increases the chance of breakage. Who likes broken glass? Two, even though I'm a lazy person and use my fingers for most of my makeup
application, pots just seem a little unsanitary to me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2007 6:43:00 PM More reviews by curlygirl45

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a great allover wash color with just an eyeliner added for an easy eye. Or still do the allover wash color and powder or loose pigment. Looked great with the Heat/Element mineralize e/s or with Deck Chair or Apricot pink. No creasing which is great for my oily lids.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2007 3:13:00 PM More reviews by charb3

Beautiful peachy gold champagne! Love how it pops my green eyes! Love the new packaging and yes, it stays all day long. These paints are the only thing that makes me look like I'm wearing any shadow at all!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2007 5:38:00 PM More reviews by Dragun

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a great product! Can stand alone with a black liner and look kittenish, or used with a dark crease shade for downright goddessness! Would repurchase.Update: I've also used this as a lip colour and cheek highlight and I can say it's very versatile. On my lips, it was a bit dry, but with a slick of balm or gloss over the top it looks wonderful. I love this shade!!! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2007 9:45:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

I really think the Paint Pots are a big improvement over MAC paints, and I am glad MAC decided to keep these around. Rubenesque is a very pretty, mid-toned, frosty, golden-peach color. It looks good on my lids alone, but I prefer wearing it as a base. It instantly brightens up my eyes and brings attention to my eye color (hazel). I like wearing similar powder shadows on top, because it brings out the intensity of the pigment. For example, today I wore Rubenesque as a base from lashline to crease only, Jeté on the lid, Naked Lunch to highlight brows, French Grey in crease & outer lid corners. I lined my upper lashline with black liner, and lower lashline with MAC Charcoal Brown.
This was quite a stunning combo! Rubenesque and Painterly are my two favorite Paint Pots to use as bases for most of my shadows. The reason why I gave this 4 lippies instead of 5 is becuz as pretty as this is, I find I use Painterly more becuz it is more versatile- and matte. I don't always want frosty eyes during the day, and Rubensque can border on being a little too frosty for my taste. If you prefer wearing frosty eye shadow ... you will probably love Rubensque. If I ever use up the whole pot and it is still available, I would probably buy another. continued >>

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2007 10:44:00 PM More reviews by silverbelle282

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

i LOVE this color! didn't crease, easy to use- with a clean finger or a brush if you prefer. it works well on its own- i use it as a wash with a bronze liquid liner (some drugstore brand i can't remember) or i use it as a base- most recently i've worn it underneath paradisco eyeshadow and also under a combo of swimming/humid/and retrospeck. seriously, if you can only get one- grab this color.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2007 12:59:00 AM More reviews by choklad

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this without knowing how I was going to use it because it looked so gorgeous in the pot. On its own, it is a very light golden color that just gives a bit of sparkle to your eyes and helps tone down my dark lids. I've also tried it as a base to create brown smoky eyes with Graphic Brown fluidline and Heat Element mineralize e/s - it looks great!

EDIT: Have decided to add one more lippie to this after using it for a couple of months. This stuff is GREAT as a base, especially for those notoriously flaky mineralize eyeshadows! Although a neutral nude like Bare Study or Painterly would be more versatile, I have used Rubenesque under a variety of colors just as well!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2007 12:32:00 AM More reviews by smallgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love the new paint pots and this is my favorite color. My current favorite look is to apply it sheer over the entire eye, lash line to brow. Then add another layer over the lid to intensify the color. I like to use Beauty Burst from the Barbie collection in the lid and then a dark brown liner, such as Stubborn Brown. This is especially a great look for blue eyes.

It also works really well when you apply it to your temple/cheekbones as a highlighter.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2007 8:14:00 PM More reviews by styrch

I have been enthralled with Rubenesque since pics of it started trickling out. This color is GORGEOUS.

The Color: In the pot it's what I would describe as a rose-gold color, meaning it's golden with a hint of pink/peach to it. This color has depth, shimmer, and works well as a stand alone or as a base. Incidentally, I tried this under Gleam and Expensive pink and it was great because it brought out more of the gold than the peach.

Texture: It's smooth like butter. It takes a while to dry, but it doesn't feel at all strange like you might expect a cream shadow to feel. It feels a little heavier than some of the paints I have but not enough to be noticable.

The Wear: As I stated in my review of Artifact, this shadow doesn't like the heat as much as I wish it would but other than that it's absolutely wonderful. It lasts a long time as well. Once it dries it doesn't budge. And the best thing is that you do not have to worry about glitter falling on your face the way that you do with some powder shadows and pigments

Overall I would purchase this again if I run out, and I definately think I will at some point. I could easily see myself using this every day. It is an effortless color that wakes up my eyes and makes them a little more interesting.

For reference, I am NC15 with blue-green eyes. Click the "continue" link for a picture of me wearing Rubenesque in combination with Artifact and Magic Dust.

continued >>