September 22, 2014 | 1949 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by cyberhd

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this sponge! It makes foundation, concealer and setting powder application easy without caking. Its pricey though for a sponge. I have tried other dupes but nothing compares to this. Easier to clean than my makeup brushes because it doesn't absorb so much product and I use Baby shampoo to clean it. I will be buying this over and over again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by tsh82

i bought this for $8 and i like it.
it blends my highlights and concealer perfectly :D

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by xoJeniVeeox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE LOVE LOVE! Ive tried so many different methods of applying my foundation and nothing has gave me such a flawless finish with minimal effort like the BB does. I use the BB with my Nars sheer glow foundation and I also use it with powders, blushes, and concealers. Ive also used it with drugstore foundations and the finish is still natural and flawless. This cuts my makeup time in half and is soooo easy to use. It feels so good on the skin and makes your makeup feel light and airy almost as if you weren't wearing anything. I read a few reviews about the BB prior to purchasing it saying that it absorbed a lot of product but Ive found that the best way to avoid this is to dab the foundation on your skin and then blend. It is a little hard to get the foundation stains out but I don't really mind as long as I know that its clean. It is a little pricey for a sponge but since its reusable I think its definitely worth it. Overall I think this is a great sponge and I doubt anything will be able to top this.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 6:12:00 PM More reviews by biddi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this every day to bounce on my MAC pro longwear concealer and it does a stellar job. I find my foundations are to sheer for this to work with them so when I find a fuller coverage foundation im totally putting this to the test! I find it applies the concealer perfectly with no patchiness and caking that I've encountered when using brushes and my fingers to pat in. I highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2012 12:24:00 PM More reviews by dizzielittlerascal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this as I had originally bought a 'dupe' for this and wasn't impressed (a Cosmopolitan version). But I was curious to see if this was any better and although this was 3 times the price of the 'dupe' it is sooooo much better! I find it better with thicker foundations as it sheers them out to give me the coverage I prefer. Thinner foundation tends to be too sheer, so I will stick to my brushes for that. But I am so impressed that this little pink egg shaped pillow can do such a sterling job! I dot foundation on my face, then use this dampened to bounce the foundation around. If you do a search on YouTube, there are some excellent tutorials on how to use this successfully. I find it uses less foundation than a brush giving me much better results. It is also better being cleaned with the cleanser which goes with it, as I tried to use baby shampoo and Mac brush cleanser but they didn't do any where near as good a job as the bb cleanser. Oh, and have not noticed pink dye coming out of mine :o)

Edit: 31st Dec 2013. I have just bought my second beautyblender after using my original one roughly every other day (or so) for around 14/16 months of use!!!! And once again, my new sponge still doesn't bleed colour when washing (not that I can see anyway). So, I think that although the price seems steep at first, when you find out how long they last, they really are worth the money after all!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2012 10:40:00 PM More reviews by gamahocha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm a noob at make-up and this product really works wonders!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2012 8:23:00 AM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I actually really like these. Yes, they do use a lot of foundation but I have been watching some makeup videos on foundation application and your only supposed to dot your foundation on. I find that I save so much more by doing that. Plus these little badboys I have the egg and a gourd and they blend like no other.

I can't wait to try it after I use my fingers with BB cream to blend the hairline with one of these I see it works so well for that. All in all it really blends your makeup right if your sponge is taking to much foundation then your using to much. I recommend watching Michelle Phan on you tube her foundation tutorial is excellent.

So yes I will repurchase now that I found them on ebay I already have the cleaner or baby shampoo works fine as well. Luv this sponge I highly recommend it plus 1.99 on ebay you can't go wrong:)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2012 11:53:00 PM More reviews by pocky

My only comments about the Beautyblender are that it soaks up a ridiculous amount of liquid foundation. Yes, I dampen my sponge. That doesn't do anything to keep the sponge from soaking up too much foundation. It's annoying if your foundation is cheap, but if you're using an expensive foundation, it's intolerable. I find that I get better a better application when I apply the foundation to my face in wide stripes with my fingers and blend the foundation in with the Beautyblender. If I need to layer more foundation, I dab on with my fingers and blend again with the Beautyblender. I've only had good application results with liquid foundations and powder foundations. My Diorskin compact foundation looks flawless when applied with the Beautyblender. Unfortunately, I can't seem to use the Beautyblender to apply loose mineral foundation without it looking cakey and gross.

Make it a point to thoroughly wash the foundation out of your Beautyblender after each and every application, let the sponge dry, and it should last you for a good 2 months before it starts to break down. The Beautyblender cleanser is a little too watery for me. Bobbi Brown brush cleanser works the best. I don't recommend baby shampoo since it gets too foamy and you'll have to spend some time trying to get all the suds out of the sponge. Dr. Brommer's Magic soap also works well in a pinch. It's not as good as Bobbi Brown but not as foamy as baby shampoo. Don't bother wasting your money on the Beautyblender cleanser. It's nothing to write home about.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2012 11:11:00 PM More reviews by emma_wonders

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this make up sponge. I've been using them for over a year and it's my go to tool for foundation and concealer around my eye area. I understand this doesn't work for some people and I understand why they have their complaints. But for me- a dedicated make up sponge user- it's a winner. The texture of this sponge is in fact different than the various generic make up sponges you can pick up at your pharmacy or Target etc. Yes, it does require a lot of upkeep in terms of washing it every time you use it and I guess I don't mind that because I've just become accustomed to doing so. Also- I've always hated using brushes for foundation application. No matter how expensive the brush, the style of shape and cut of the brush- I have always found buffing a brush or just *brushing* foundation to be uncomfortable feeling and I always had a hard time blending evenly. Basically, for me, using a brush was more work than using a sponge and these are the best sponges I've ever used and I buy them regularly. I love the cleaner for this but I think you need a LOT to clean them properly so I find myself using a mild facial cleanser when I run out to clean the sponges. Also I've found the best technique is to run warm water over the sponge before use and then yes wring it dry in a clean towel. It doesn't absorb a ton of product for me if i use it near dry/damp.
I'm purchasing a few newer kabuki style high end make up brushes to see if I can find a brush that will be comfortable for foundation application- and we'll see if I end up liking a brush over this sponge! But for now, this is my absolute go to applicator almost daily.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2012 10:37:00 AM More reviews by Prazzie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased a 2-pack from Sephora, so that my friend and I could find out what the fuss was about. I have been very satisfied with my foundation routine, using various liquid foundations and applying it with a Real Techniques buffing brush (from the Core Collection). However, after hearing so much hype about the beautyblender, I decided to try it.

After reading some reviews here on MUA, I was worried about the sponge absorbing too much of my expensive foundation. I have a bottle of Revlon Colorstay that I got last year and no longer use, because it oxidizes on my skin. I decided to try using that, so I wouldn't waste my good makeup.

I dampened the beautyblender by squeezing it under cold running water. I squeezed out the excess and then dried it further in a towel. I placed two pumps of Colorstay on the back of my hand, tapped the big end of the sponge into it and started applying it to my skin in a rapid stippling motion. The foundation, which is slightly too dark for my skintone, disappeared, leaving my skin looking clean and even. I admit that I was very surprised by the effect.

I had planned on only testing it on my t-zone, where I have some redness, but I didn't want to stop using the sponge. I pumped out two more squirts of foundation and covered my whole face, using the smaller end under my eyes and next to my nose. To really get into the folds next to my nose, I had to push my nose to the side with my finger, which I don't have to do when I use a brush.

I was skeptical, I don't enjoy using sponges for applying cosmetics, but the effect was undeniable. The beautyblender had created an airbrushed effect on my face, effortlessly. It was even better than my beloved buffing brush, which I have described as "life-changing" in the past. So there you go, the hype is not unfounded, the beautyblender does what it says it does.

It is not perfect, though. Cleaning it proved a difficult task. I spent a long time and used several products to try and remove the foundation stains, to no avail. I don't particularly want to spend more time cleaning my tools than I spent using them, so I gave up and will just live with a stained sponge. I massage some baby shampoo into it, then rinse it until the water runs clear and that's enough for me. The pink dye did come out during washing, but I saw no trace of it on my face, so I am not concerned.

More points off for how expensive it is and for the plastic "pedestal" container, which I think can easily damage the sponge. I store mine loosely on top, so I don't have to push it through each time I remove it. I'm also worried about longevity, I inspected the sponge closely after washing it and I can see how little tears could start forming in the material. I know the company states that the sponge should last about 3 months, so I will see how accurate that is.

Although I think that the beautyblender gives a better finish than any other method I've used, it does use a bit more foundation than my brushes would. It also took me longer to apply a full face than usual, but that might be due to my inexperience with using a sponge.

I will not be using the beautyblender for all my foundation applications, simply to save product and extend the life of the sponge, but I will introduce it into my routine when I want the most flawless appearance. It somehow manages to apply a sheer, invisible layer of foundation that simultaneously provides ample coverage. It is very impressive and despite the price, I will repurchase this when mine becomes too tattered to use.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No