September 30, 2014 | 1105 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2008 9:15:00 AM More reviews by bringiton

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Update - having now tried this product for myself, I dont like it at all. It was super drying on my skin, to the point were it made the skin around my mouth feel raw and it felt like the skin would crack if I moved my mouth.

I cant help but notice a lot of you are saying that this has mineral oil in it, and forming your opinions around this 'fact.' I would like everyone to look at the ingredients list below and take note that there is no mineral oil in this product.

Ingredients: ethylhexyl palmitate, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil, caprylic/capric triglyceride, sorbeth-30 tetraoleate, polyethylene, peg-5 glyceryl triisostearate, water, tocopherol, phenoxyethanol continued >>

27 out of 35 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2008 10:45:00 AM More reviews by cityskin

Clinique's Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm is an amazing product. I've not always had the best experiences with Clinque but this cleansing balm is my must-have.

What I really liked about this product: It glides on and allows for gently removal of all the makeup. I only where foundation and a tinted moisturizer with non-waterproof mascara, eyeliner and sometimes eye shadow. This cleansing balm takes off all of that and probably more. I also love that this is fragrance free and mineral oil based because it's less irritating on my skin. *On a side note, I always use a separate cleanser after this balm just for my own preference. Overall, I love this product and will buy it again and again and again.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2008 11:16:00 AM More reviews by mlyork

In my perpetual search for the perfect makeup remover (not to be confused with EYEMAKEUP remover), I had such high hopes for this product. Primarily, based on a lot of the reviews here. There was some debate about whether you must apply it to dry or wet skin, but I follow directions diligently and, as the label says, I applied it only to dry skin.

What does this product even DO? I don't need an eyemakeup remover, I can get that at CVS for $4 bucks. What I need is my foundation, powder, and blush taken off efficiently. I have large pores and more recently, hormonal acne, so I take very good care of my skin. This balm, even applied dry, left my skin with clogged pores and filmy. After using it, it's clear you have to follow up with an exfoliant, and afterall, isn't the whole point of this so that you DON'T have to wash your face twice?

I guess for individuals who have dry or aged skin this may work out for them, but ladies, if you have pore issues or NEED exfoliating....this just isn't going to cut it. Very disappointed in this product. Their "take the day off eyemakeup remover" is excellent, but this balm fails to deliver for women who may have acne-prone skin.

Back to drawing board.....

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2008 6:09:00 PM More reviews by luftballon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

While wandering around makeup counters looking for a new makeup remover, my friend insisted that I must try Clinique's Take the Day Off Balm.

It really does take everything off quite easily. My eyeliner, my waterproof mascara (DiorShow is usually a b*tch to take off), and my mineral makeup.

What I don't like about it is how it fogs up my contacts and makes them greasy. It doesn't hurt my eyes or anything, and it goes away, but it's annoying. Also I'm not a huge fan of the consistency, and how it's oily, but if it takes off stubborn makeup then I'll continue to use it.

I also think it broke me out, but I'm not completely sure yet because I changed my entire skincare regiment. Will update later.

EDIT: I've upped it to 4 lippies. It doesn't clog my pores and removes heavy makeup with ease, and doesn't leave that nasty feeling film after washing off oils. I've gotten used to the consistency. I've taken a lippy off because of the price, though. Won't rebuy.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2008 12:18:00 AM More reviews by fabulous_crystal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What's up with the large lid?? Anyway, the lid is annoying, and the price is a little high for a makeup remover considering I use the other "Three steps" ($26). This really does remove all of the grime (LOL) though. I've always given my face a good "wash" before going to bed and in the morning, but I've noticed that the cotton pad I use with toner is virtually clean when I use the balm. I have acne and that is getting a little better too (at least its not worse). I think it's because the topical treatments get get to "sink into" my skin better, but who knows. Overall, it does the job, doesn't irritate my eyes and skin, and seems like it will last me a long time. Do buy this if you're a habitual makeup/sunscreen wearer. A little goes a long way!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2008 12:22:00 PM More reviews by eyeThink

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is very effective in removing makeup and even the most resistant of sunscreens, although it can be rather drying particularly in the winter. [I have sensitive, acne and hyperpigmentation-prone skin that tends toward oily.]

I appreciate the solid consistency in a tub/pot packaging that makes it easy to travel with. I also appreciate the availability of this cleanser as I can purchase it at Sephora or one of the many Clinique counters in malls across the country. However, after finishing a tub of this and starting on a second, I finally had to admit to myself that this cleanser was clogging my pores. Knowing that ethylhexyl palmitate can be highly comedogenic for some, I tried this cleanser anyway hoping that the brief time it was in contact with my skin would ward off any breakouts, but it still clogged my pores.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2007 10:12:00 PM More reviews by asaphia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think a few people who have reviewed this product and not liked it aren't aware of the fact that this cleanser is for normal to oily to oily skin. And yes, while some might find it odd to put something that feels oily on to oily skin, it makes total sense - after all, oil is what breaks oil down. Plus like someone said, it's mineral oil, so it won't clog your pores.

This is a cleanser I cannot live without. It cleanses everything off my face from long-wearing, full-cover foundation (both Clinique Repairwear and Estee Lauder Doublewear - and anyone who has used DW knows how hard it is to get that one off!) to waterproof makeup. Even with a makeup sealant like Benefit's She-laq. I wear contacts, so I guess I may fall into the sensitive eyes area (although it doesn't feel it, but helpful to know if you're a lense wearer too, I guess) and not once has this irritated my eyes. I have tried the TTDO Cleansing Milk (which is the one for dry skin btw) and unfortunately, that one wasn't formulated well because it STINGS your eyes. Being a consultant, I have to say that I'm always hesitant to recommend the milk, it's that bad - and it's a sentiment shared by others, too.

What I do with the balm is take a fairly small amount - a little bit bigger than my thumbnail - and rub it between my palms. Then I massage it all over my DRY, made-up face, starting with the foundation (cheeks, forehead, chin etc) then move on to the eyes. With my index fingers, I just gently massage it over the entire area, taking care to get right into the lashes with my eyes still closed. Then all I do is just rinse it off. Presto, my face is makeup free, and ready for the face cleanser. And while it does wash off everything, I'd personally recommend you use a separate skin cleanser, since this is more of a makeup cleanser.

But the balm for me just means that there's no more hassle of putting over oily eye makeup remover on to a cotton pad (often one for each eye) and rubbing it with the cotton, only to then go through another step of foam cleanse off my foundation. And being a gentle balm, it means you don't have to worry about the dry finish of strong foam cleansers.

I know some people like washing off their makeup in the shower though, and in that case, the packaging isn't as user friendly. But having said that, how else would you package up a solid balm? I recommend you just get ready for your shower, get the balm, massage it on, then step into the shower to rinse off. Not much harder, really.

I can rave on about this all day - something my friends (with normal to oily skin of course!) who I've recommended it to do so to me now. Sure the makeup remover tissues seem cheaper and seem to do the job, but I really hate the film of cleanser it leaves on my face, even if it's a temporary feeling till I wash it off. Plus, you end up using a wohle packet a month (average packet contains 25-30 tissues) so if you add it all up, the price of the balm (NZD60) isn't actually that expensive for a product that'll last you 3+ months.

If you're someone who wears a good amount of makeup on a daily basis, I say buy this, because it'll ensure that every bit of your makeup is cleansed off, it'll feel comfortable, won't be detrimental to your skin, it's easy to use, and it's a time saver.

18 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2007 1:44:00 PM More reviews by cookielicious82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i like to use make up removers that i can wash off and this is it. im not usually a clinique fan because everytime i use their products it leaves my face dry. but this one did not leave me dissapointed. it took all of my make up off and i loved the feeling of it on my face. it is fragarance free and feels good. i definitly recommend this. you dont tug on your eyes which is a big thing for me. make up comes off very easily.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2007 10:22:00 AM More reviews by beauticonnexion

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was looking at the packaging and realised all the cleansing balm are in a wide mouth pot. (why so???) ok get down to the product: It is a white waxy looking balm that turns to a cleasning oil texture. It is non fragranced, removes all makeup even eyeliner, shadows as well as long lasting foundation. Add water to emulsify up the balm and it rinses off pretty clean. It can go without the additional cleanser but i am so ingrained on double cleansing i still wash again after this. Best thing is that it does not clog pores although it is mineral oil based. An also contrary to my beliefs, this 125ml pot last for so long almost 3 months even on daily usage. It boils down to be cheaper than my Clarins makeup remover 200ml one month.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2007 10:47:00 AM More reviews by kei_fujo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i am pretty big on this clinique product as well. as said before, it is a solid balm that liquifies when rubbed between hands. it does a great job at removing makeup and waterproof sunscreen. i generally need to use a seperate eye makeup remover because it doesn't completely remove my mascara and colorstay eyeliner. i gave it a 4 because if i don't blot any excessive oil from my face then it doesn't seem to rinse completely clean, but if i'm not overly oily it rinses clean and leaves my face super soft. i generally apply some water and emulsify it, then rinse. i will definately repurchase this. it's a tad expensive, but a little goes a long way and will probably last awhile.