September 23, 2014 | 1965 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by Sassybanjo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I love using coconut oil to remove my eye makeup or longwearing foundation (like Estee Lauder Double Wear). After I remove the layer of makeup, I water down Carnation Dry Milk and apply it thinly to my face and massage it like a cleanser. I rinse it off with a warm wash cloth and then use a mild cleanser like Cetaphil.

The milk has lactic acid which works great to gently exfoliate. The milk got rid of the small bumps under my skin. I had stopped using it for about a year and then the under skin bumps returned. I went back to using the milk and in 3 days, the bumps were gone again. I've used many exfoliants that didn't do what milk does for my skin.

The coconut oil is great for an overnight hair conditioner.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2012 2:01:00 PM More reviews by UTdaisy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Coconut Oil is awesome for body, hair and baby bums! I love to put it on my face at night, even though I have oily skin - it makes it super smooth by the morning and doesn't clog my pores. About baby bums: coconut oil can be used as a diaper cream that's safe for use with cloth diapers, plus since I always have some on hand, it's very convenient. My hair is too oily to use this on the roots, but I like to use it around my face to smooth down flyaways or on the ends to control frizz when it's humid.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 1:12:00 PM More reviews by enydonus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

It's a really nice all in one for waterproof makeup removal, hair serum, and body balm. I really like to use this in the summer on my arms and legs to give them a bit of a glowy boost. When the humidity really climbs I leave my hair curly, ditch all the silicone laden products and use this as shine serum on the dry ends of my hair.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2012 9:54:00 PM More reviews by jen17881

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have recently gotten into trying more natural skin-/hair care products, and when I read about coconut oil, I couldn't resist giving it a shot.

I am so glad I did.

My coconut oil is extra virgin, organic, unrefined and cold-pressed. I purchased it at the Vitamin Shoppe for around $10, which I find reasonable, considering how much money I have spent in the past for other beauty products. So far I have used it in the following ways:

Hair - I have blonde, color treated hair that is fairly straight and thick. Gets greasy easily at the roots, dry at the ends. Sadly, I managed to fry some parts of it with a color-correcting shampoo, and they looked/felt like straw until I discovered coconut oil. I have tried multiple deep conditioners, leave-in treatments and styling products, without much improvement. A tiny (!) bit of coconut oil warmed between my hands and applied to dry spots during blow-drying does WONDERS for my hair. I am so impressed with how soft and manageable it has become. I am in love. Do be careful though, it's easy to apply too much and end up with greasy hair... nothing a bit of dry-shampoo cannot fix, though.

Body/Lips - It does okay as a moisturizer/lip balm. Leaves a bit too much of a film when applied to dry skin, and I honestly prefer some other lotions I own. Beautiful smell, though.

Face - I have acne prone skin that gets dry easily around the lips/cheeks. Coconut oil makes an *amazing* eye-makeup remover. It has really helped hydrate the skin around my eyes and gotten rid of some fine lines. I also use a small amount as a moisturizer every night. When applied to damp skin, it soaks right in without leaving any kind of film. So far, it has not caused me to break out, and it leaves my skin very nicely balanced as far as moisture goes.

EDIT: Sadly, this broke me out after a few weeks. I cannot even use it on my hair anymore, as it breaks out all the skin it touches. I'm even paranoid to use it as a make-up remover now. But while it lasted, it was amazing ;(

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2012 3:07:00 PM More reviews by NaomiHa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Coconut oil is a cheap and fantastic multi-purpose product. for a LARGE jar at walmart it was only $6. Though prices does vary... the most expensive I've seen it for was generally about $12 for the same amount of product.

The jar is quite large (31.5 FL OZ) and it has lasted me a little over a year.

I am completely obsessed with this... I use this to cook but also beauty related items such as:

Hair: it helps make the hair shine without weighing it down or making it greasy, it smells so good, and can sometime defrizzes your hair.*As long as you take a dime size and rub it with your fingers and use your fingers to comb your hair........ you dont have to worry about greasy feelings.

Lips: I have really dry burning lips. so at night before I go to bed I would scrub my lips and put this on the next day it is still there and my lips are super soft.

Feet: Idk about deoderizer BUT it softens my heels. I would put this on at night before bed and have my sock on... next day. almost baby soft!

down size... you can always find it in a jar so it can be a little unsanitary especially if you also use it for cooking.... try using it with a spoon to get out your product.

Dry skin: I have put this on my face where it tends to flake and it has not cause me to break out.... and I have sensitive acne prone skin. I also put this all over my body. it feels great.

from the review below apparently it can help remove dandruff... which I need to try out so I will update this in the future

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2012 2:02:00 PM More reviews by aardvarkz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

How have I not reviewed this yet? I've been using coconut oil for a couple of years now. I use it as lotion occasionally, as a hair treatment regularly, and to remove eye makeup when I bother to wear it. It works wonders on my fine wavy hair and doesn't irritate my acne-prone skin. I'm honestly not sure what I could say that the other reviews haven't covered already. All in all it's an awesome find and I'm glad I started using it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2012 12:45:00 PM More reviews by Green_Girl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is a cheap and fantastic multi-purpose product. Here's what I've used coconut oil for, along with my thoughts and experiences:

1. Hair moisturizer: Coconut oil is one of a few oils that have been clinically proven to completely penetrate the hair shaft, as opposed to just sitting on or partially soaking into the hair. I make my own deep conditioners, and my favorite recipe is two tablespoons coconut oil, one tablespoon olive oil (also proven to sink into hair), and about a teaspoon of castor oil. Coconut oil washes out better than olive oil, but the mix of the two moisturizers the hair better than just using one alone. I do this once a week or every other week, and my notepad has more info on DIY hair treatments. Coconut oil is also great for moisturizing eyebrows and eyelashes.

2. Hair styling product: My hair is long, curly, and very thick, and I sometimes use a little bit of coconut oil on second-day hair to get rid of frizz. I love softer, beachy waves, and to get that look without using lots of products and heat stylers, I comb a very small amount of coconut oil and hair gel through wet hair, concentrating on the lower half, then do a French braid it to wear to bed. In the morning, I undo the braid and smooth the hair over with a tiny bit more coconut oil.

3. Scalp treatment: I have had chronic dandruff for years, and while I can usually keep it at bay by not shampooing and doing post-shower apple cider vinegar rinses, if I have a bad dandruff flare-up, I massage some coconut oil onto my scalp, let it sit for at least an hour, and then follow with a co-wash and an ACV rinse; this improves the flare-up, but doesn't always cure it on the first try.

4. Eye cream: I'm nineteen and not really concerned about wrinkles, but I use coconut oil to moisturizer my under eye area and eyelids every morning and night. It staves off milia, helps with post-treading irritation and redness, and helps my make-up go on smoother.

5. Cuticle cream: With the help of another MUA user, I'm working on making my own cuticle cream, but in the meantime, I use a bit of coconut oil to keep my cuticles and the skin around my nails from drying out or developing hangnails. When I do make my cuticle cream, it will definitely contain coconut oil.

6. General skin moisturizer and salve: If I have a very rough patch of skin, a cut or scrape, some irritation or redness, or can't find my lip balm, I swipe on some coconut oil wherever it's needed to take care of the problem.

I gave coconut oil a three out of five on price because the cost varies considerably from shop to shop; I've seen a sixteen-ounce tub sell for as low as seven US dollars to as high as sixteen US dollars. The cheapest price I've found was at Trader Joe's (not affiliated) for seven dollars, and it was organic and extra-virgin, to boot. I've heard it can be found for even cheaper at small southeast Asian stores. If you can only find it in your area at the higher price end, keep in mind that sixteen ounces has lasted me four full months of frequent use, and I still have some left for another two weeks or so.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2012 12:13:00 PM More reviews by curlycolor

This is an update on an earlier, positive review.

I still use coconut oil as my HG intense hair treatment, and as a supplement to my conditioner. It's heaven-sent for my thick, wiry, long, extremely curly hair.

But I've found other uses. My husband has seborrheic dermatitis on his forehead sometimes; it's a peeling of the skin, with an itchy rash. Coconut oil fades the rash, smoothes the peeling, and eases the itch. I've found that coconut oil is an excellent makeup remover. And for cooking, it has a very high smoke point, which means it won't burn like olive oil, but is still healthy for you.

I have to correct a misconception put forth in someone else's review. It is NOT, repeat, NOT TRUE that high temperatures make coconut oil into a trans-fat. That is chemically impossible. Trans-fats are also called hydrogenated fats, and they are made in a lab by adding hydrogen. That is the only way they are made. High temps can't do it. So go ahead and cook with coconut oil when you need an oil that won't burn; it's safe.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2012 11:42:00 AM More reviews by hsorsdal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I coconut oil as an overnight or pre-shampoo hair treatment. I have long medium thickness hair which I have to wash everyday due to exercise. I use about a nickel sized chunk of coconut oil in my palm, which quickly melts to a liquid with the warmth of your hand. Massage it though and leave it overnight. My hair has never been so soft! This also smells beyond delicious. Also great as a make up remover for stubborn or waterproof make up (Inglot gel eyeliner, I'm looking at you...).

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2012 6:40:00 PM More reviews by AnikaAnswer

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Okay so I've been using coconut oil since I was 7 since I'm south asian (Bangladesh, right next to india). This a great conditioner for hair and I love how soft and healthy my hair feels even though I damage it all the time with a straightener.

But you do not need to spend more than $7 on this, you can get real coconut oil at Indian or middle eastern stores with the brand name as Parachute, in a blue bottle. I get mine for about $5 but that's the big ones.