Maybelline Ultra Liner Waterproof

3.0

on 6/30/2006 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love liquid eyeliner, so have become a connoisseur. And really, Maybelline's is just as good as NARS, in my opinion. I can just put it on and forget about it all day and night... and into the next morning if I forget to wash my face! I got this in Taupe, sort of a medium-to-dark brown, for 25 cents on clearance, so maybe they are discontinuing this shade. Can't say the packaging is real inspiring, but the brush works well for me in tracing a thin or thick line at the base of upper lashes.

on 6/3/2006 2:32:00 PM

Ugh, I really don't like this product. I found it hard to control, messy, hard, and a pain to remove! I know it was only 6 bucks.. but still! I'm sure that there are cheaper liquid liners that work better than this crap!

on 5/10/2006 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have been using this product for about five years, and along the way I've tried many other, but keep coming back to this one. I have to admit, when I started using this eyeliner, I thought it had a terrible application compared to felt tip liners. But it just takes some getting used to. After that, I found that this liner goes on much smoother and faster than the felt tip ones.

Reading other reviews written about this product, I find that most people who raved about this product have similar eye makeup styles as me because I also do the cat-eye make up, and this liner is great for that. And like another reviewer mentioned, I also went to an amusement park wearing this liner and it lasted all day. That reviewer said something about tearing while on a roller coaster, but ME, I went on all the WATER RIDES and it didn't come off one bit. While all my girlfriends were running to the bathroom to fix their makeup (or just smearing them off) I was able to enjoy them asking me what eyeliner I used.

I've used some of the brand name eyeliners like lancome, and I found few of them to be excellent. But the results are so similar to the maybelline ultra liner that I don't understand why I would have to pay twice or even triple the $$. When I buy this product, I usually buy about 2 - one to keep in my handbags, and one in front of the mirror to do make up in the morning. I would keep using this product and would highly recommend to others.

on 4/26/2006 10:45:00 PM

What did they do to this formula? Several years ago, this used to be a great..ok, good..eyeliner for a drugstore brand. Now, as described by others, it flakes off and I find little specks of it in my EYE! And don't even try to make your line darker by going over it, you're just asking for a mess. You get one shot to get it right with this stuff or you may as well take it all off and start again..which in itself is a mess. I've pulled a line I've applied off in one strip, I kid you not. The waterproof formula is lousy, perhaps the non-waterproof version is better. I'd pass on this one though.

on 4/24/2006 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Only one word can describe this eyeliner...TERRIBLE! It is not black enough, it is shiny, and it peels and flakes. The brush appears thin, but no matter how hard I try, I just cannot get a super fine line in the inner corner of my lids. It is a waste of money, even though it wasn't that expensive. You get what you pay for. (Well, most of the time.)

on 3/22/2006 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

What bugs me the most about this is that it starts to cake half-way through the day, even with a UD Primer Potion underneath. Even more bothersome, it peels off like a strip on a fruit roll-up. When it dries, it is not matte. It kinda looks plasticky. The handle is too short. I only put this on for a little definition with mascara. It's harder to maneuver the cat-eye with this as well. Don't waste your money on this. Try Revlon's Colorstay Liquid Liner. Much much nicer.

on 2/27/2006 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

love this eyeliner...its the only one i use and have ever used since high school.
stays on ALL day even with my oil skin and sooo easy to take off. its true it comes off in long peices true, but that means no horrible racoon eyes so BE HAPPY!!^^
its impossible actually to get racoon eyes with this liner, and the brush is nice although in some bottles its kinda square on the tip wich if u dont use liquid regularly then it can make all your lines big. but with a little snip snip u can fix it soooo easily. also i have seen it flake on the outter ends of some peoples eyes but with my asian type eyes i dont have that problem. also dries super quick!!
100% happy with this product!

on 2/22/2006 4:51:00 PM

I Cannot but liquid liner on my waterline ( inner bottom lids ) but this stuff is good otherwise. Dark, and stays put. I usually put it on the top lid or inner corners. This is probably the easiest LL i have worked with.

on 1/23/2006 11:51:00 PM

I bought this overseas.. and i LOVE IT! it stays on al day for me.. and its perfect for lining the top of my eyes! it also stays on all DAY!

i line my lower rim with a normal crayon eyeliner and then i gently go on top with the eyeliner.. NOT too close to the actual eye becuase i dont want to get it in there.. hehe

the only thing i dont really like about it is that when i remove it.. most of it comes off but there are lil flaky bits that either get in ur eye or on your face. BUT other than that.. i love this product

on 1/17/2006 3:40:00 PM

This is the liquid liner I always come back to. I get the black color, and wear it on the tops for a slight, Audrey Hepburn kind of cat eye. The formula is glossy, the brush doesn't irritate my eyes (as some felt tips do), and I find it easy to apply.

It might sound strange that the formula is glossy, but I find that matte liquid liners look fake - like you just drew a line over your eye. What I love about this formula is that it looks, for some reason, more natural. It's like the difference between a person who has applied kohl eyeliner without blending and one who's applied it with blending - the blended tends to look better, and more natural. This formula just seems to bring more light into your eyes.

There have been complaints about this product being flaky, but I think it's a matter of application. The key to this liner is that you don't put on too many layers of it, and it's not a liner that you can keep fixing. I always use a kohl eyeliner beforehand to draw the line that I want, which I can fix however many times I want, and then use this liner over it. That way it looks perfect and stays perfect throughout the day. When you put on too much, mini-globs appear and will probably flake off over the course of your day.

As far as I know, it stays true to its "waterproof" label - it stays on all day, and though I wouldn't expect it to last through a long day in the ocean, it has lasted me through plenty of sad movies (and I cry through all of them).

The brush isn't felt tip, so those who are used to felt tip might have trouble. However, it's perfect for my usage because I am only going over a line that I have already made with kohl eyeliner. Felt tips seem to take a while, whereas this brush glides pretty quickly and cleanly.

The bottle is okay, although the part at the mouth that prevents globs from coming out breaks after a while of careless using. However, that's usually at the point when there's so little left in the bottle that I'm digging at it and really need to get a new one anyway.

I don't like when the formula dries out, which is after a few months, because then it does cause flakes. However, it doesn't dry out for very long and it's when you're at the bottom of the bottle anyway.

I've tried others, looking for something possibly even better - something that never dries out, that I can use for a year, or something - L'oreal's lineur intensifique, maybelline's waterproof eyeliner with the felt tip and conical bottle, prestige's liquid. However, I always give up on those midbottle and just buy this product again. I recommend it all the way, though I suggest you get the application right in order for it to really be at its best.

--------------------------

EDIT:
I have moved on to Colorstay Liquid Eyeliner by Revlon. It's been over a year, and I haven't looked back. The reason is mostly because my look has changed, and the shininess of Maybelline's Ultra Liner isn't what I'm looking for anymore. I do appreciate not having to worry about my eyeliner flaking off - ever - and not having to worry about drawing the line perfectly with kohl before putting liquid eyeliner on. With Maybelline's product, there wasn't much room for mistakes. I still think this eyeliner served me well and would go back if they were all out of my Revlon Colorstay, but it's just not my go-to liquid eyeliner anymore.