September 22, 2014 | 2003 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED Basics

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 12:54:00 AM More reviews by ccope4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette {#3 of the Naked Series}.

Overall, reviewers seem to feel it's colors enhance fairer skin. On darker skin-tones the lighter colors can look chalky. I love this palette. I am a C4, and these mattes are perfect to make eyes look vibrant, healthy and natural. I have so many shimmer and glimmer eyeshadows, I am truly pleased to have this toned down palette.

From the Urban Decay box:
"Begin any look with these six essential shadows. This palette of must-own shades (with four exclusives) features both mattes and satins for lids, liner and crease."

$27 at Ulta and Sephora. And hooray - no animal testing!

I recommend an eyeshadow primer beforehand. Next, lighter shades layered until desired look is achieved. A nice eye primer at Target is E.L.F. for $3. Another at Ulta for about $10 is the Stila Prime Pot.

See more pics, video and swatches on different skintones at my site - truecolorworld.

Texture is true Urban Decay: light, silky, luxurious to the touch. 6 Shades - Venus, Foxy, Walk of Shame, Naked 2, Faint, and Crave. The first 3 are very light, nude tones; the remaining 3 descend from a beigy taupe to a dark, midnight brown. Yes, the compact is small, but does have a full mirror. About the size of an iPhone. Some say too small, I say just right. I would >>recommend this palette<< to all my makeup loving friends.

If you have never purchased NAKED before and can only choose one, go with NAKED1 if you are warm-toned or have a richer skin tone, and go with NAKED2 if you are cool-toned and/or have very fair skin. Even if you are fair skinned with a warm skintone, NAKED2 has shades to cover. Go with NAKED3(Matte) if you are fairer and warm or cool-toned and don't want too much shimmer, or to compliment either of the first two palettes.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 10:55:00 PM More reviews by Unicornbot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is fantastic! I'm a huge fan of matte eye shadow and neutral makeup shades in general. Shimmer can just get old fast, and I find myself pulled more towards clean velvety eye looks these days (I'm 26 for the record) there's a classiness about matte shades and its become very hard to find good matte eyeshadows. MAC has I'd say the most range of matte but they kinda suck as far as pigment. These matte shades are divine. Creamy highly pigmented perfect everyday nude brown shades in cooler tones.

first shade- (Venus) is a light shimmery frosted cream
2nd shade- (foxy) is a yellow toned light matte cream
3rd shade- (wos) is a pale matte cream with pink undertones
4th shade- (naked 2) is my HG neutral, a light brown cool matte
5th shade- (faint) is a medium matte taupe brown
6th shade- (crave) is a rich matte black that is perfect for going over your eyeliner with to set it

This is a must have!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 3:47:00 PM More reviews by cccchloe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

If I lost this palette or used it all, which I can see myself doing, I would definitely repurchase. It is exactly what I've always looked for in a eye palette. Yes, I can see how the choice of colors is geared specifically for fair-to-medium skintones, but that is just something that people will have to keep in mind, just like some palettes/eyeshadows/blushes are geared towards cool skintones, others for warm skin tones or some for tan-to-dark skin tones. I don't think it deserves a lower rating just because it doesnt work for your skin coloring in particular. NARS Desire looks awful on me and my particular skin tone but that doesn't change the fact that it is a high quality pigmented product that deserves a high rating.

In any case, the quality of shadows is excellent and I have absolutely no problems creating a neutral defining sexy eye look with these.

The first shade is a highly pigmented shimmery off-white shade. I usually dislike shimmery highlight shades but I do love this one for the inner corner. It is so opaque that it actually completely covers the darkness that I have in the inner corner of my eye.

The two light mattes shades are exactly like powder versions of Soft Ocre and Painterly paint pots. I love those two paint pots and I love these two shadows. Two great options for all over lid colors.

The two darker taupe colors are like lighter/darker versions of Wedge. Excellent crease colors depending on how much definition you're looking to add.

The last shade is a very pigmented, surprisingly blendable blacked-brown. It's actually more black than anything else,but it doesn't have that cool blue-grey undertone that tends to look dirty on my warm skin tone.

I love this. This is actually something I will use everyday. My ONLY complain is the shape of the pans. I prefer a wider, more square shaped pan, but it really doesn't matter that much. That's only because I'm trying to nit-pick. Also, I love the compact. No finger prints yet no dirty looking powder build up like NARS packaging.

This palette is what I thought/wanted Dior's Incognito palette to be, but failed, and for half the price!

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2012 3:25:00 PM More reviews by snow7kids

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really thought this was exactly what I was looking for. I bought the regular Naked for my 18 yr old daughter and she loves it.(but she has brown eyes and olive coloring...I have green eyes and am fair) I didn't like it at all. I am not afraid of shimmer but I thought it was just too much and not flattering. So, when I saw the Naked Basics, I was SURE it was for me. I usually wear purple eye shadow but wanted something neutral for the days purple wouldn't work with what I was wearing etc. I tried the Naked Basics a couple of times and it just wasn't impressive enough to keep. what I ended up buying (and liking) was NYC blushes in 3 colors (Riverside Rose, Central Park Pink and West Side Wine)...thought I'd see if I liked those colors as a neutral eye shadow. I do. So, I have given up looking for neutral palettes and am just going to stick with blush colors from now on.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2012 10:40:00 PM More reviews by bnanaphone246

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i got this palette for christmas, totally didn't expect it, but im pretty excited for it. i love a really simple neutral eye, so it was a really easy transition to this palette. i like that its a fairly utilitarian palette, its really small and portable, and when you do the math its a really great value compared to the UD build-your-own palettes. for those of us who dont want glitter(or even a lot of shimmer) and dont feel like spending a million dollars on a nice palette, this is a pretty solid option. i dont have naked or naked 2, but when i look at them, (my sister has both) this has all of the same kinds of colors that i would end up using from both palettes, and it's way more travel-friendly. my one qualm was that with the darkest shade, crave, i had a ton of fallout, but i think that might be because im pretty used to having to scrape the surface of my loreal eyeshadow to get pigment on my brush.EDIT: i was right. i was picking up too much shadow in the brush. crave is fantastic. all the shades are fantastic, really, except for foxy. it does the same thing as w.o.s, but w.o.s. looks better. i wish there was an intermediary shade between faint and crave. LATER EDIT: foxy works really well for this highlight-above-the-brow trick I just learned, where you highlight just above the outer half of the brow with a really pale matte shade instead of shimmer on the browbone. Now that I have a use for all the shades the pallette is pretty much perfect.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2012 3:22:00 PM More reviews by cleo2

This is the best, most useable palette I have ever purchased. I really don't like color on my eyes and this collection is perfect.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/20/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Pyxxeestyx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I cant even express how excited I was to get this palette.... I have naked 2 and honestly only use the lighter and matte shades.

I was SO disappointed when I tried these shadows. I understand the theory behind the palette but its execution is awful. I like crave, faint and venus even though I basically have them already in naked 2 and feel duped.... but seriously these are THE WORST quality eyeshadows I have ever used. What happened UD? Even the foxy from naked 2 is better than whatever they had manufactured cheaply and but their name on it. Foxy and WOS are awful. White, washed out, chalky and NOT pigmented even in the slightest. If youre going to have two shades so close in color that look exactly the same on (and horrible) at least make them pigmented! I wear UD's ABC gum everyday (AMAZING) and these cant even come close. They look like a $3 CVS eyeshadows when you put them on. I get it, theyre for "blending" or "toning down" but what a useless purpose for almost half a palette.

Naked 2 is the only redeeming quality of this palette. I love it. Its amazing on the lid, crease, wherever.

Guess I gotta keep searching for the perfect matte palette that doesn't exist.

10 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2012 5:56:00 PM More reviews by Julia941

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I think I'm older than UD's target audience and tend to shy away from eye shadows with a lot of glitter, heavy shimmer, and foil effects. I purchased Naked 1 and only used the matte shades a couple of times then gave it to my daughter who loves it. I like UD shadows because of the smooth, almost creamy texture and saturated colors so I jumped at the chance to have this collection of neutral shades. Being a six pan, it is smaller than the other Naked palettes but the pans are the same size and it has a mirror.
The first color from the left is Venus which is off-white but has a little glimmer so it doesn't look chalky. It's great for highlighting the brow bone and the inner part of the eye to brighten it up a bit. The next color is Foxy which is a creamy matte pale yellow. It cancels out redness beautifully and I've even used it under my eyes to set my concealer. W.O.S. is similar but has more of a pinkish tone. Naked 2 is a soft taupe and Faint is a neutral light brown, both of which are great to fill in brows depending on your coloring. They are nice in the crease of the eye or as a lid color. Crave is matte black and perfect wet or dry to line the eye, tight line, or use with Faint for a neutral smoky eye.
So far, my favorite way to use it is to fill in my brows with Faint, sweep Foxy or W.O.S. across my eye lids, then tight line with Crave. A little mascara, blush and red lipstick and I'm done. I haven't tried Faint as an eyeliner yet, but I think it would be nice for a more natural look. For a little more drama I add shimmering Venus and line above my lashes and flick the corners up a little for a cat's eye.
It's easily portable and I really like that I can use one palette for brows, lids, and liner. I would definitely buy this product again and have already ordered another one for my daughter. Highly recommended.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2012 1:11:00 PM More reviews by bombace

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This palette is exactly what it's titled...Basic. The colors are staple colors without all that sparkle. Personally, for me it's a must have in my makeup collection. I have the matte palette from Too Faced that I enjoy as well. It has a greater range of matte colors but I really do prefer the quality of UD's eyeshadows. I bought the Basics palette at Ulta for $27 as a Christmas gift to myself. If you have some extra cash to splash I say go for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2012 12:33:00 PM More reviews by vwbenzo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I wanted to speak up about the shade Foxy! It seems like the earlier reviewers didn't like it or know what to do with it. I actually bought the palette for this color! I use it daily as a highlight with Sin on the lid and maybe some Naked or Buck (not in this palette) in the crease, for just a brightened eyes look to complement a strong lip. Foxy can also be used to tone it down if your pigmented eye shadows were applied a bit too heavy handed. Hey, it happens.
Other than that I love the small & sleek packaging, and the price!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No