October 21, 2014 | 840 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED Basics

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2012 1:23:00 AM More reviews by msdi2u

I like this palette- I think it is a fantastic little palette to own, especially if you are interested in nude and matte eye colors. The only color I am not that impressed with in this palette is Venus, and that is only because it is shimmery. I guess Venus would make a great brow highlighter, but since I usually skip that step, that makes Venus insignificant to me. My favorites in this palette are WOS & Naked 2, followed by Faint & Crave. I like to use WOS on the lid, Naked 2 as a blender in the crease and up above, and Faint in the deep crease and outer corners of my lids. Crave (jet black) makes a great liner on my upper lash line. First, I usually line with Bobbi Brown's Longwear eye pencil in Jet, then take my MAC 266 and press Crave down over the line to blend it out and give it extra staying power. It makes the liner look a rich, deep, beautiful shade of black! I do get some fallout from Crave, but nothing that I can't quickly wipe away with a cotton swab and my Estee Lauder Gentle Eye makeup remover. I also love how these shadows last without creasing all day and into the night. I do use an eye primer before applying the eyeshadows, which could increase the staying power. Overall, I am NOT sorry I bought this palette, and I get more use out of this one than the original Urban Decay Naked Palette. (I never invested in the 2nd Naked Palette.) I know everyone has different needs depending on age and skin color, and this palette might not impress or suit everyone... but it DOES impress and suit me. =0) I LOVE it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2012 10:07:00 PM More reviews by KiahSherice

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Okay so basically i bought this palette after receiving both naked palettes and i really like it ALOT. all of the colors go on so smoothly. it's a great addition to the first 2 naked palettes. i use it for blending out other colors and highlights. i love the fact that venus is a "demi-matte" because i like a more shimmery highlight. and if you think about it, it's not expensive at all. 6 full sized UD shadows for $27?? that's a steal! especially if 1 ud shadow is 18 dollars by itself! i would definitely recommend this product. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 7:24:00 AM More reviews by 1017

UPDATE: This has quickly become the only thing I reach for on a daily basis. It is just so easy & by far the Naked palette that I use the most (& possibly the only one I may NEED to buy again).

ORIGINAL POST: Like all Naked palettes, if you have nothing, this is a great place to start. For those of us that have tons, this is a nice thing to add to our collection. But I really do appreciate the small, sleek, affordable, collection of basic mattes. I can put this and my BE 8 pan The Finer Things Palette easily in my makeup up bag and have a complete variety of eye makeup while traveling. You can't ask for more from an eye shadow palette. :)

FYI - I very much prefer this to the PF Canyon Classics matte quad. Those colors just muddied together on me, I find the Basics palette actually does something and you can see the benefit of each shade on the eye instead of turning to a muddied blur like the PF did on me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 12:54:00 AM More reviews by ccope4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette {#3 of the Naked Series}.

Overall, reviewers seem to feel it's colors enhance fairer skin. On darker skin-tones the lighter colors can look chalky. I love this palette. I am a C4, and these mattes are perfect to make eyes look vibrant, healthy and natural. I have so many shimmer and glimmer eyeshadows, I am truly pleased to have this toned down palette.

From the Urban Decay box:
"Begin any look with these six essential shadows. This palette of must-own shades (with four exclusives) features both mattes and satins for lids, liner and crease."

$27 at Ulta and Sephora. And hooray - no animal testing!

I recommend an eyeshadow primer beforehand. Next, lighter shades layered until desired look is achieved. A nice eye primer at Target is E.L.F. for $3. Another at Ulta for about $10 is the Stila Prime Pot.

See more pics, video and swatches on different skintones at my site - truecolorworld.

Texture is true Urban Decay: light, silky, luxurious to the touch. 6 Shades - Venus, Foxy, Walk of Shame, Naked 2, Faint, and Crave. The first 3 are very light, nude tones; the remaining 3 descend from a beigy taupe to a dark, midnight brown. Yes, the compact is small, but does have a full mirror. About the size of an iPhone. Some say too small, I say just right. I would >>recommend this palette<< to all my makeup loving friends.

If you have never purchased NAKED before and can only choose one, go with NAKED1 if you are warm-toned or have a richer skin tone, and go with NAKED2 if you are cool-toned and/or have very fair skin. Even if you are fair skinned with a warm skintone, NAKED2 has shades to cover. Go with NAKED3(Matte) if you are fairer and warm or cool-toned and don't want too much shimmer, or to compliment either of the first two palettes.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 10:55:00 PM More reviews by Unicornbot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is fantastic! I'm a huge fan of matte eye shadow and neutral makeup shades in general. Shimmer can just get old fast, and I find myself pulled more towards clean velvety eye looks these days (I'm 26 for the record) there's a classiness about matte shades and its become very hard to find good matte eyeshadows. MAC has I'd say the most range of matte but they kinda suck as far as pigment. These matte shades are divine. Creamy highly pigmented perfect everyday nude brown shades in cooler tones.

first shade- (Venus) is a light shimmery frosted cream
2nd shade- (foxy) is a yellow toned light matte cream
3rd shade- (wos) is a pale matte cream with pink undertones
4th shade- (naked 2) is my HG neutral, a light brown cool matte
5th shade- (faint) is a medium matte taupe brown
6th shade- (crave) is a rich matte black that is perfect for going over your eyeliner with to set it

This is a must have!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 3:47:00 PM More reviews by cccchloe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

If I lost this palette or used it all, which I can see myself doing, I would definitely repurchase. It is exactly what I've always looked for in a eye palette. Yes, I can see how the choice of colors is geared specifically for fair-to-medium skintones, but that is just something that people will have to keep in mind, just like some palettes/eyeshadows/blushes are geared towards cool skintones, others for warm skin tones or some for tan-to-dark skin tones. I don't think it deserves a lower rating just because it doesnt work for your skin coloring in particular. NARS Desire looks awful on me and my particular skin tone but that doesn't change the fact that it is a high quality pigmented product that deserves a high rating.

In any case, the quality of shadows is excellent and I have absolutely no problems creating a neutral defining sexy eye look with these.

The first shade is a highly pigmented shimmery off-white shade. I usually dislike shimmery highlight shades but I do love this one for the inner corner. It is so opaque that it actually completely covers the darkness that I have in the inner corner of my eye.

The two light mattes shades are exactly like powder versions of Soft Ocre and Painterly paint pots. I love those two paint pots and I love these two shadows. Two great options for all over lid colors.

The two darker taupe colors are like lighter/darker versions of Wedge. Excellent crease colors depending on how much definition you're looking to add.

The last shade is a very pigmented, surprisingly blendable blacked-brown. It's actually more black than anything else,but it doesn't have that cool blue-grey undertone that tends to look dirty on my warm skin tone.

I love this. This is actually something I will use everyday. My ONLY complain is the shape of the pans. I prefer a wider, more square shaped pan, but it really doesn't matter that much. That's only because I'm trying to nit-pick. Also, I love the compact. No finger prints yet no dirty looking powder build up like NARS packaging.

This palette is what I thought/wanted Dior's Incognito palette to be, but failed, and for half the price!

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2012 3:25:00 PM More reviews by snow7kids

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really thought this was exactly what I was looking for. I bought the regular Naked for my 18 yr old daughter and she loves it.(but she has brown eyes and olive coloring...I have green eyes and am fair) I didn't like it at all. I am not afraid of shimmer but I thought it was just too much and not flattering. So, when I saw the Naked Basics, I was SURE it was for me. I usually wear purple eye shadow but wanted something neutral for the days purple wouldn't work with what I was wearing etc. I tried the Naked Basics a couple of times and it just wasn't impressive enough to keep. what I ended up buying (and liking) was NYC blushes in 3 colors (Riverside Rose, Central Park Pink and West Side Wine)...thought I'd see if I liked those colors as a neutral eye shadow. I do. So, I have given up looking for neutral palettes and am just going to stick with blush colors from now on.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2012 10:40:00 PM More reviews by bnanaphone246

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i got this palette for christmas, totally didn't expect it, but im pretty excited for it. i love a really simple neutral eye, so it was a really easy transition to this palette. i like that its a fairly utilitarian palette, its really small and portable, and when you do the math its a really great value compared to the UD build-your-own palettes. for those of us who dont want glitter(or even a lot of shimmer) and dont feel like spending a million dollars on a nice palette, this is a pretty solid option. i dont have naked or naked 2, but when i look at them, (my sister has both) this has all of the same kinds of colors that i would end up using from both palettes, and it's way more travel-friendly. my one qualm was that with the darkest shade, crave, i had a ton of fallout, but i think that might be because im pretty used to having to scrape the surface of my loreal eyeshadow to get pigment on my brush.EDIT: i was right. i was picking up too much shadow in the brush. crave is fantastic. all the shades are fantastic, really, except for foxy. it does the same thing as w.o.s, but w.o.s. looks better. i wish there was an intermediary shade between faint and crave. LATER EDIT: foxy works really well for this highlight-above-the-brow trick I just learned, where you highlight just above the outer half of the brow with a really pale matte shade instead of shimmer on the browbone. Now that I have a use for all the shades the pallette is pretty much perfect.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2012 3:22:00 PM More reviews by cleo2

This is the best, most useable palette I have ever purchased. I really don't like color on my eyes and this collection is perfect.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/20/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Pyxxeestyx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I cant even express how excited I was to get this palette.... I have naked 2 and honestly only use the lighter and matte shades.

I was SO disappointed when I tried these shadows. I understand the theory behind the palette but its execution is awful. I like crave, faint and venus even though I basically have them already in naked 2 and feel duped.... but seriously these are THE WORST quality eyeshadows I have ever used. What happened UD? Even the foxy from naked 2 is better than whatever they had manufactured cheaply and but their name on it. Foxy and WOS are awful. White, washed out, chalky and NOT pigmented even in the slightest. If youre going to have two shades so close in color that look exactly the same on (and horrible) at least make them pigmented! I wear UD's ABC gum everyday (AMAZING) and these cant even come close. They look like a $3 CVS eyeshadows when you put them on. I get it, theyre for "blending" or "toning down" but what a useless purpose for almost half a palette.

Naked 2 is the only redeeming quality of this palette. I love it. Its amazing on the lid, crease, wherever.

Guess I gotta keep searching for the perfect matte palette that doesn't exist.

10 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No