Essie Mademoiselle

4.3

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, propyl acetate, Tosylamide/Formaldehyde Resin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, Tripheneyl Phosphate, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Ethyl Tosylamide, Steralkonium Bentonite, Styrene/Acrylate Copolymer, Diacetone Alcohol, Camphor, Polyvinyl Butyral, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Benzophenone 1, Citric Acid, Dimethicone, Silica, Trimethylsiloxysilicate. May Contain: CI 47005:1 (D&C Yellow #10), CI 47000 (D&C Yellow #11), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), Mica CAS 12001-26-2, CI 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), Polyethylene Terephthalate, CI 15850:1 (Red 7 Lake), CI 15850 (Red 6 Lake), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 15880 (Red 34 Lake), CI 77491 (Red Iron), CI 77499 (Black Iron), CI 77510 (Ferric Ammonium Ferrocycyanide), CI 75170 (Guanine), CI 42090 (Blue 1 Lake), CI 60725 (Violet 2), CI 17200 (Red 33), CI 77000 (Aluminum Powder), CI 73360 (Red 30), CI 26100 (Red 17), CI 42053 (Green 3), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Green), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77266 (Black 2), CI 45380 (D&C Red 21), CI 45410 (D&C Red 28), Polyester-3 (D&C Colorant)

on 11/7/2004 3:28:00 PM

Mademoiselle is a staple of mine, one I hope to never be without. I am a cool toned LLL and this shade may appear invisible as some of the other reviewers stated, however what I love about it is that it does something like what foundation does for my skin. It perfects the look of my nails making them look like I wish they did naturally. This shade does not streak, applies with ease & dries to a glossy shine. I own & use a couple other sheer/nudes, however this is my all-time favorite and whenever I try another I wonder why I didn't just put on Mademoiselle lol!

on 11/5/2004 2:40:00 PM

I have several Essie nailpolishes, all of which I love with the exception of Ballet Slippers because it becomes a streaky mess on me. I'd picked out another pink at the salon today, but the manicurist asked if I'd ever tried Mademoiselle, I said no, so I tried it. It's really gorgeous - - it just makes your nails look prettier than they already are without the "Hello I'm wearing nailpolish" vibe. If you're looking for something with more color, try Allure, but otherwise, it's great! Especially good for low-maintanance girls or for subtlety at work etc.

on 10/26/2004 4:48:00 PM

When I first tried this, I thought it was clear, and I hated it, but I've changed my mind about it now. Its subtlety is really nice to me these days, and it's not as sheer as I first thought -- it's a nude look, but not the same as clear polish. This really is the consummate everyday shade if you like sheers, although oftentimes my nails are too yellowish at the tips for it to look good. Unless they're in really great shape, I prefer a more pigmented neutral like East Hampton Cottage.

on 10/11/2004 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

this is my HG nailpolish!! perfect color after 2 coats

on 10/7/2004 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I wrote a review of this quite a while ago, at that time, I LOVED Essie's colors. Now, because of the packaging, I will not buy Essie again, and I have about ten bottles now. The short white brush top cannot be gripped, the only way I can get the bottle open is to soak it in hot water, not something I feel like doing everytime I want to put a coat of polish on! I have Revlon and Estee Lauder polish, and I never have this problem with their longer brush tops. I HATE this sh*tty packaging. It's a shame, because otherwise, Essie a great nail polish. I just feel insulted by this horrible bottle design.

(Well, four years later, and I'm still using Essie. I still don't like the short brush, but hey, life's not perfect. I still love their pinks, they are my staple.)

on 10/6/2004 4:47:00 PM

my HG polish!! until i used this, i didn't think i could even be excited about polish, but oh i am now. i saw this color in instyle or allure last year and thought i'd give it a try, and i haven't changed colors since, except a french manicure or two. it's a nude/peachy sheer that makes it look as if you're not wearing polish at all, you just have amazingly healthy nails. i get comments on my nails weekly, and i do them myself. no one thinks that i'm wearing a colored polish, just clear. however, my yellowish nails just look more yellow with clear polish, and amazing with this. i highly recommend you try this color!!

on 9/27/2004 9:49:00 PM

The perfect sheer nude for a polished, natural look. Goes on smoothly (unlike Ballet Slippers, which made a streaky mess on my nails), and looks great paired with a white tip. Makes the longest-lasting french mani for me - lasts a week, and I work in an animal shelter, so that's really saying something!

on 9/26/2004 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I like this as an everyday sort of color.. it's pretty clear on me (MMM/GGG) with the slightest hint of pink.

on 9/23/2004 4:37:00 PM

This is my little black dress.

It's perfect for work environments.

on 9/18/2004 10:58:00 PM

After so many raves, I'm bewildered. Yes, it's nice that it doesn't streak or chip (hence the three stars), but the color...well, what color? This is totally clear on me, even with two coats. If I didn't already have a decent "your nails but better" polish (NARS Edelwiess), I could see liking this, but as it is, what's the point? Consider my lemming killed.

EDITED 10/6: Changed my mind, from 3 stars to 5 and yes to repurchase. It lasts and lasts, the color IS classic, and since it's only $4.50 at Bed, Bath & Beyond, I'm keeping it.

Popular Polishes