November 23, 2014 | 1963 users online

Brows - Maybelline - Define-A-Brow

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2010 8:24:00 PM More reviews by alchemy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After lamenting the discontinuation of Maybelline's Expert Eyes Twin Brow & Eye Pencils in Charcoal Grey, which was the perfect match to my medium ash brown natural hair color, I tried lots of different brow pencils, from MAC at the high end to Wet & Wild at the low end. After no longer having access to my HG brow pencil, and not being willing to shell out the ridiculous prices for the few remaining ones on ebay, I wasn't opposed to paying for a high-end pencil as long as the color was perfect. Who knows how much $$ I spent in pursuit of the perfect color. Nothing was right -- until I tried this pencil. I cannot tell a difference between the dark blonde shade and my former charcoal gray shade. Regarding packaging, I prefer bristle brow brushes, but the one on the end of this pencil is useful. I tend to prefer brow pencils that I can sharpen to a nice point, but surprisingly I find this "self-sharpening" point slim enough for me. I'm very happy with this pencil, and can finally cross this project off my list. Wait for Walgreens to run 40% off of Maybelline products, and then buy all they have...they tend to run out of this shade often.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2010 9:45:00 PM More reviews by kittykatblues

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really love this product, I have always had very light eyebrows and this has definitely been my favorite brow liner for darkening them. I love the way it is designed and prefer it over pencil eyebrow liners, as they have always been really messy for me. :( I also found this to last a lot longer aswell, and I find that it applies beautifully when used lightly and in small strokes, I would definitely recommend.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2010 11:18:00 AM More reviews by hayley842

I have dark brown and soft black. I'm NC40ish, wish black brows that are sparse. I find that dark brown is nice if I want a more filled in shape. The black must be used with a light hand, otherwise it looks too obvious. I wish that soft black was more gray - that would be a better color match for me. I always brush this out with a spoolie and it gives a decent finish. Not HG material, but less fussy than a powder and wax combo.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2010 11:12:00 AM More reviews by imabitdizzy

Im very blond and finding a brow pencil that isnt too much for me is hard! I bought this in a lil promo package with two pencils in it. I liked it very much but I was VERY unimpressed at how little was in it. Personally I would rather pay more and get more than have to buy a new one every two weeks. Guess I just need to pick up more than one at a time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2010 7:31:00 PM More reviews by katy24

These e/b pencils are the best thing Maybelline sells! I lovedMac "Flatter" e/b pencil& it was dc'd so I picked 2 of the light blonde Maybelline versions when I had a coupon&breathed a sigh of relief.The only downside is that there is less product so they don't last as long but there is always a coupon or a BOGO so who cares!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2010 6:11:00 PM More reviews by ktdetails

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

SO these are pretty much dupes for MAC Brow.

I try to tell everyone that picks up Define-a-brow a couple things:

MAC brow gives you .003oz of product
Maybelline gives you .001oz of product

Mac Brow is $15
Maybelline varies by store/BOGO etc. around me it's around $7 each

SO unless you are paying $5 or less for Maybelline then you are actually paying more $ for less product.

IF you pick them up on BOGO's or you can find them for less than $5 in your area - only then is it "cheaper than MAC".

so the potential savings is there - but not always :)

Light Blonde is a cross between Fling and Lingering - it's an adequate dupe for both colors. Fling is more ashy than light blonde - which is slightly more warm undertoned.
Dark Blonde is very neutral - no red in it.
Medium brown is warm brown - a bit darker than lingering.
Dark Brown is a dark neutral/cool brown

Mac's formula is slightly better i.e. it's creamierbut not greasy
Maybelline is a slightly dryer/waxier )

I like this style of brow product you don't have to sharpen it or have a separate brush.

But honestly - I can only understand buying Define-a-brow if it is a better color match for your hair.

73 out of 75 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2010 6:11:00 PM More reviews by Sailormoon999

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm on my 4th pencil. I love this better than the brow powder. Not too waxy and the colour choices are great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2010 6:09:00 PM More reviews by Momma2myQTZ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I've never used a nicer brow pencil. Love this! The stick is very thin so even the tails of your brows are perfect and precise. The formula draws on nicely to correct shape or fill in sparse areas easily. The colors do run a bit dark though, I have dark auburn hair and use dark blonde. I only wish that it had a spoolie instead of comb on the end. That is my only complaint. I do wish that the product lasted a little longer, but then the stick would have to be thicker or longer, not good. I get 3 months or so of daily usage. Truly my HG brow pencil. I bought this after lusting after Tarte's pencils on HSN or QVC and don't lem those at all after using this product for nearly 2 years.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2010 5:47:00 PM More reviews by hunnybaybee5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this pencil because I had run out of my favorite Za eyebrow pencil which became discontinued in the US and I was desperate. A friend recently traveled to Asia and bought me several of my Za pencils so I quickly threw this one to the side. After a few days of use, I switched back! I love this maybelline pencil so much more! It's skinnier than the Za one, therefore there's more precision, I like the consistency, and it's cheaper! It also lasts a pretty long time (I've had it for a couple months now and use it everyday). The only negative thing I would have to say about this is that I don't like or use the comb that is on the end. The Za pencil I used to use had a brush on the end. I still use the brush to soften my eyebrows after drawing them in so they don't look so harsh and then I apply MAC omega eyeshadow over it with an angle brush. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2010 3:32:00 AM More reviews by oxarielxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very sparse eyebrows so I resort to filling them in. I love this pencil because it's thin and I like that you don't need a pencil sharpener. It lasts for a long time, but when I go out I like to add a little powder shadow on top to really make it last.