November 23, 2014 | 980 users online

Brows - Castor Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2008 6:43:00 AM More reviews by MissValery

About castor oil for hair growth: Iīve been using this about four weeks, putting it on my eyelashes and eyebrows before going to bed. While it didnīt work any wonders, my eyelashes are softer than before and might have grown a little in lenght. I didnīt feel it did much about my eyebrows, though.
About castor oil for the oil cleansing method: I read the reviews about oil-cleansing with olive and castor oil and decided to try it.
On my forhead, where I had nice skin to begin with, within a few days I started to brak out and pores were clogged like back in the days as a teenager. Therefore I stopped using the method there.
On my nose, on the other hand, it really worked great. The skin on my nose has always been flakey, like after a sunburn, and no moisturizer or peeling would change that, and at the same time there were blackheads on it I could not get rid of. After a few times of oil cleansing, the blackheads have become less visible and fewer, the skin is smooth and doesnīt flake, which of course also makes my mineral make up go on much easier and flawless. So, for my nose, this is a HG!
UPDATE: I have been using this for five weeks now and lately noticed some tiny pimples on my upper lash line. I looked closer and found that they werenīt pimples...they are new lashes growing into my lashline. Iīm speechless. I never expected this to work so well. Get it!

19 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2008 8:03:00 PM More reviews by igetjokes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This does help hair grow. I use it on my eyebrows to help grow in from overplucking and i can tell it helped, i had to pluck much more. So I started using it on my scalp because i wanted to grow my hairout and I swear my hair is growing faster.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2008 1:05:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

I use about 10% castor oil in my cleansing oil formula, along with EVOO and Cromollient and essential oils of lavender, petitgrain and geranium. It is inexpensive and I think a good additive because of my oily skin. I have also used this on lashes overnight, although not enough times to definitively say that 'yes, this does help'. It's all natural so at least I know I'm not absorbing chemicals when I use this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2008 7:28:00 PM More reviews by suejie

I had been researching expensive lash growing products when I stumbled upon reviews of castor oil. Seemed like an unlikely aid to help restore hair, but I thought I'd try it before spending $100+. I have long but somewhat sparse eyelashes and very sparse eyebrows. I think all the thickening mascaras had been damaging to my once lush eyelashes and I needed something to treat them.

Castor oil cost $3 for a small bottle of thick sticky fluid. I used a clean mascara wand to dip into the bottle and apply to my lashes and eyebrows. (scrape off excess or else you'll get way too much goop). The thick oil sort of beads up on the hairs, but seems to absorb well into the skin. I apply and then softly blot it into the base of where the hair grows.

So far I'm impressed and surprised at the results. How does this stuff work? Does the hairs absorb the oil and thicken or does the oil leave a residue buildup? I wonder because it really does seem to work! It's only been a week so I don't have dramatic results, but noticeable results for sure. My lashes are slightly thicker and longer and they feel soft and in great condition. I have practically invisible lower lashes and now they are longer and I noticed new growth! My eyebrows are definitely fuller (still pencil in my brows on night's out, but for daily wear I can go without now).

I will continue to use and hopefully see more improvements. It's kind of an inconvenient treatment because you have oily eyelids (I use at night only) and it doesn't smell the greatest (but tolerable). If I continue to see results I'd most certainly repurchase, but I don't think I'll ever use up the tiny bottle as you don't use much of it at all (will probably replace every couple months though, due to hygiene).

*UPDATE* 10/20/08
been using the castor oil for eyebrows and lashes everynight (or at least everynight I remember to) and it has significantly improved the appearance of both brows and lashes. My eyebrows are much more filled in (although I am having to pluck more and also have more blonde fuzzies) and my lashes are longer with new growth. They used to be just over 1/2 an inch long and now they are past 3/4 inch! The bottom ones are almost 1/2 inch long now and before they were non-existant! (I still need mascara to make the lower ones noticible as they aren't that full yet). amazing results for a $2 investment. will continue to use

***05/14/09 UPDATE***
Still using castor oil whenever I remember to (about every other night or so) on both lashes and brows. I've been getting comments on my brows and lashes often, but usually when I'm wearing makeup. Last week my stepmom saw me after I just washed my face and she asked me if I had my brows tattooed in! I'm thrilled by this observation because my brows have always been very sparse and now they are much thicker, so much that someone thought I got them tattooed in when I'm barefaced. yay! My cousin started using it on her brows because she basically only has the inner half of her eyebrows and they've grown in quite a bit on the outer edges!

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2008 11:57:00 PM More reviews by kinkat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When my sister saw this on my table, she asked "Isn't this used for cars?"

Not really sure where exactly I picked up this use for eyelashes/brows but I was surfing the net considering to buy expensive lash extension products. I searched for it on MUA and after reading the good reviews I decided to give it a try- natural and cheap so it shouldn't hurt.

I bought it at a local pharmacy. The assistant asked me what I'm doing it and I said hair growth. She then looked at me funny.

Instructions on the label says that it can be used externally as a emollient and internally as a laxative (and a warning saying that it can be addictive!)

Anyways I've used it for 2 months now. At first, I used a Q-tip (cotton bud) to neatly brush it on my lashes and brows. After a month I became restless with this regime and just pour a little bit out and basically smother my eye with it. I think its been great as an overall eye-cream! It seems to dry out in about 2 hours time.

The only downside is the smell. Also since I wear glasses at night time some inevitably rubs off on my glasses which gets a bit irritating.

My eyelashes sustain heat and mascara everyday (I heat my eyelash curler.) They were starting to seem a bit weak but applying castor oil at night has seemed to improve their condition. Not sure about increasing their length but they seem slightly thicker. Its most noticeable for my bottom lashes. The skin around my eyes seem a bit better as well. No need for expensive eye creams.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2008 4:52:00 PM More reviews by blubellcows

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Okay, a little story here. Once upon a time, I used to use tons of mascara to make my thin, sparse and short eyelashes thick and long. Well, soon enough, all of that mascara caused half of my eyelashes to fall out (I was losing a minimum of 5 lashes per eye a day). Obviously, a lashless eye is very unattractive, so I scoured the boards in hopes of a cure. I got lots of recommendations for Ardell Lash Accelerator, but my CVS didn't carry it, and I honestly didn't want to pay $5 shipping for an item that cost $4.

So, I decided, on the advice of a couple of hair board ladies, to try castor oil. I went and picked up a small bottle of castor oil (the regular pharamacy kind). At night, I dipped a mascara comb into the oil, and combed it onto my upper and lower lashes. In a month, my once short and straight lashes had grown considerably longer, and they even began to curl at the ends! I must say, I was more than happy to throw out my mascaras and lash curlers, because with castor oil, I didn't need any of them anymore!

Oh, and a word of caution. This oil is not especially easy to get off; you'll need more than just water. Also, when I used it on my brows, it caused a few pimples to pop up near my eyebrows, so I'm not sure if this is 100% non-pore clogging.

Hope this helped!

27 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2008 1:51:00 AM More reviews by nv78

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been massaging a mixture of 50% castor oil & 50% extra virgin olive oil to my face now for two days and believe its too early to comment on the results.
However, I have been applying just plain castor oil (with a makeup pad) to my oily t-zone in the hopes that it'd dry it up (it gets VERY oily) and also rid the blocked pores. Surprisingly it's not dried me up and it seems to have made my pores more noticeable - for some reason they look darker - previously they were very blocked however they were only slightly obvious whereas now they look like BLACKheads!
Has anyone else noticed this?

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2008 12:47:00 AM More reviews by natalie731

I read every single review and every single article about the Oil Cleansing Method before I tried this out. I was literally SICK and TIRED of my bad skin.
I use 75% EVOO and 25% Castor Oil and I put it in a travel size plastic bottle. Every night I apply a good palmful all over my dry, dirty face. It is amazing at removing all your makeup. So I massage this into my face for about 5-10 minutes each night. Once I feel that I have massaged enough, I steam my pores with a hot wash rag. After steaming, start GENTLY wiping your face clean. Try to remove most of the oil, but don't freak about getting eeeevery single bit. If your face feels too dry once you are done washing then you need to add more olive oil to your mixture. If it too greasy, then obviously add more Castor oil.
It is very important not to overdo this as these oil (mainly castor) go deep deep into your pores and purge everything out over time. Dont rush it- you will only dry your whole face up. In the mornings just cleanse with warm water and pat dry...your skin should feel clean enough anyway.
Now for the ONLY bad part- there will be a purge involved here-obviously. The oils will bring all your impurities up out of your skin OVER TIME. It will not happen in a week and probably not in two weeks either. In fact- you will probably expirience some sort of breakout or flare up in the first month due to years of junk and gunk that is finally being naturally removed. Don't believe me? As you are massaging your face you will feel small grainy little thingies in your oil. These are hardened sebum plugs that have worked loose and worked out of their pore. WONDERFUL!! However, you may notive your pores looking larger....they probably are. As gunk gets purged out of your face, it makes room for itself to get out. TRUST ME keep up with it and slowly as your pores become empty (few weeks worth of loyal cleanising every night) they will slowly closeback up and almost "heal" up. You need to give it time to properly detox your face. This can take up to 3 months depending on the condtion of your skin...so hang in there even if your skin starts looking worse...it WILL eventually look better than you have ever imagined!!

One last point, I have Oily/Acne prone skin. I was very very nervous about trying this out but at the same time I was willing to give anything a shot. I leaned towards this method because I figured " well, at least im not putting more chemicals on my face" so yes...i was freaked out about slathering oil on my face please trust me...oil DOES dissolve oil, and these natural oils are SOOOO much better for your skin than all the chemical filled junk out there !! Try it!

68 out of 73 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2008 11:34:00 PM More reviews by getouttamyface

This stuff is so great! I got it a tall bottle of organic, cold-pressed castor oil at my local Wholefoods, and it's been working miracles. I'm only mildly satisfied with the OCM (had a bit of a purging period, and it doesn't do anything spectacular that the honey mask doesn't cover... unless you're solely looking for an alternative cleanser), but the effect it's had on my eyebrows and eyelashes is astounding! I was on Lipocils religiously last year, and let's just say that I've seen more growth (longer, thicker, and NEW growth) in my first week of using castor oil than I did in 3 months of Lipocils! Also, it's SO MUCH cheaper, you can use it for the OCM, you can ingest it for various ailments, and when you want hair growth, it can be applied with a Q-tip ANYWHERE. Highly highly recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2008 9:33:00 PM More reviews by VogonPoet81

I had a devil of a time trying to find this product. I had looked at Walmart and Target (even asked the pharmacist and he told me that they didn't carry it he acted like I was crazy or on drugs.) I guess natural remedies are not en vogue. Anyhoo, I put the Castor oil on my hair (i used too much though) and had to wash my hair several times and used apple cider vinegar to rinse it out, but my hair is super soft and lush. As for my eyelashes they do seem a bit fuller, but I've only used it for a few days. I think for better results I'll have to use it more. For more uses, check out wikipedia. It's actually fascinating. btgw, i found my castor oil for 1.99 at a local drugstore chain "Drug Mart"

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No