December 25, 2014 | 1269 users online

Brows - Castor Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2008 8:49:00 PM More reviews by SushiGirl8

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

To the reviewer below - you shouldn't use it for more than 1 week internally ie. as a laxative (as with any laxative). But externally you can use it as often as you'd like.

The type you have purchased is the one that most people use (cheaper drugstore version) - however, health food stores will also sell organic, cold-pressed castor oil for at least double the price. I've used both and didn't notice a difference in quality .... but I just feel better buying the cold-pressed one, so will continue to do that for now.

Great for scalp and eyelashes. I'm just starting to try the OCM .. can't comment yet, as I've only done it a few days - my face is looking horrible thus far with breakouts, but I'm going to be patient with it !

For body moisturizer , I prefer vegetable glycerin to this.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2008 7:40:00 PM More reviews by mickie9900

Hi, can somebody tell me is the castor oil I bought today at CVS is the same with the castor oil that you guys using? It says in the bottle Castor Oil USP, Stimulant Laxative for relief of occasional constipation. The price for 4 oz is $ 4.99. I doubt about it because it said in the back to not use it longer than 1 week. I'm kind of scare too if I'm using the wrong product. Thanks for anybody want to help me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2008 1:27:00 PM More reviews by Jasmine03

I read about this oil about 6 months ago and is was a long time on my wishlist. I looked in several shops, but I couldn't find it. Untill I spotted it when I was looking for glycerine. I bought it immediatly.

I'm using it for 1,5 weeks now (on lashes and brows) and I really like it. My lashes have grown about 0,2 inches and my brows are darker. I also notice that the lashes are thicker.

The only thing I dislike is the smell of it. It's awful.
The price is very nice: for 1,50 euro I bought a 50 ml bottle.

I think that my lashes and brows will continue growing. It's great stuff. You really should get it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2008 8:35:00 PM More reviews by wws1980

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

When I was a little girl, my grandmother would tell me how her and her sisters used castor oil on their eyelashes and scalp to grow hair. I can assure you that this works! As a result of dedicated use of castor oil every night for a year, I can now boast that I have the longest eyelashes of anyone I know.
I use a tiny drop on a lash comb to condition my eyelashes after I take off my mascara and cleanse my face.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2008 6:43:00 AM More reviews by MissValery

About castor oil for hair growth: Iīve been using this about four weeks, putting it on my eyelashes and eyebrows before going to bed. While it didnīt work any wonders, my eyelashes are softer than before and might have grown a little in lenght. I didnīt feel it did much about my eyebrows, though.
About castor oil for the oil cleansing method: I read the reviews about oil-cleansing with olive and castor oil and decided to try it.
On my forhead, where I had nice skin to begin with, within a few days I started to brak out and pores were clogged like back in the days as a teenager. Therefore I stopped using the method there.
On my nose, on the other hand, it really worked great. The skin on my nose has always been flakey, like after a sunburn, and no moisturizer or peeling would change that, and at the same time there were blackheads on it I could not get rid of. After a few times of oil cleansing, the blackheads have become less visible and fewer, the skin is smooth and doesnīt flake, which of course also makes my mineral make up go on much easier and flawless. So, for my nose, this is a HG!
UPDATE: I have been using this for five weeks now and lately noticed some tiny pimples on my upper lash line. I looked closer and found that they werenīt pimples...they are new lashes growing into my lashline. Iīm speechless. I never expected this to work so well. Get it!

19 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2008 8:03:00 PM More reviews by igetjokes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This does help hair grow. I use it on my eyebrows to help grow in from overplucking and i can tell it helped, i had to pluck much more. So I started using it on my scalp because i wanted to grow my hairout and I swear my hair is growing faster.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2008 1:05:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

I use about 10% castor oil in my cleansing oil formula, along with EVOO and Cromollient and essential oils of lavender, petitgrain and geranium. It is inexpensive and I think a good additive because of my oily skin. I have also used this on lashes overnight, although not enough times to definitively say that 'yes, this does help'. It's all natural so at least I know I'm not absorbing chemicals when I use this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2008 7:28:00 PM More reviews by suejie

I had been researching expensive lash growing products when I stumbled upon reviews of castor oil. Seemed like an unlikely aid to help restore hair, but I thought I'd try it before spending $100+. I have long but somewhat sparse eyelashes and very sparse eyebrows. I think all the thickening mascaras had been damaging to my once lush eyelashes and I needed something to treat them.

Castor oil cost $3 for a small bottle of thick sticky fluid. I used a clean mascara wand to dip into the bottle and apply to my lashes and eyebrows. (scrape off excess or else you'll get way too much goop). The thick oil sort of beads up on the hairs, but seems to absorb well into the skin. I apply and then softly blot it into the base of where the hair grows.

So far I'm impressed and surprised at the results. How does this stuff work? Does the hairs absorb the oil and thicken or does the oil leave a residue buildup? I wonder because it really does seem to work! It's only been a week so I don't have dramatic results, but noticeable results for sure. My lashes are slightly thicker and longer and they feel soft and in great condition. I have practically invisible lower lashes and now they are longer and I noticed new growth! My eyebrows are definitely fuller (still pencil in my brows on night's out, but for daily wear I can go without now).

I will continue to use and hopefully see more improvements. It's kind of an inconvenient treatment because you have oily eyelids (I use at night only) and it doesn't smell the greatest (but tolerable). If I continue to see results I'd most certainly repurchase, but I don't think I'll ever use up the tiny bottle as you don't use much of it at all (will probably replace every couple months though, due to hygiene).

*UPDATE* 10/20/08
been using the castor oil for eyebrows and lashes everynight (or at least everynight I remember to) and it has significantly improved the appearance of both brows and lashes. My eyebrows are much more filled in (although I am having to pluck more and also have more blonde fuzzies) and my lashes are longer with new growth. They used to be just over 1/2 an inch long and now they are past 3/4 inch! The bottom ones are almost 1/2 inch long now and before they were non-existant! (I still need mascara to make the lower ones noticible as they aren't that full yet). amazing results for a $2 investment. will continue to use

***05/14/09 UPDATE***
Still using castor oil whenever I remember to (about every other night or so) on both lashes and brows. I've been getting comments on my brows and lashes often, but usually when I'm wearing makeup. Last week my stepmom saw me after I just washed my face and she asked me if I had my brows tattooed in! I'm thrilled by this observation because my brows have always been very sparse and now they are much thicker, so much that someone thought I got them tattooed in when I'm barefaced. yay! My cousin started using it on her brows because she basically only has the inner half of her eyebrows and they've grown in quite a bit on the outer edges!

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2008 11:57:00 PM More reviews by kinkat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When my sister saw this on my table, she asked "Isn't this used for cars?"

Not really sure where exactly I picked up this use for eyelashes/brows but I was surfing the net considering to buy expensive lash extension products. I searched for it on MUA and after reading the good reviews I decided to give it a try- natural and cheap so it shouldn't hurt.

I bought it at a local pharmacy. The assistant asked me what I'm doing it and I said hair growth. She then looked at me funny.

Instructions on the label says that it can be used externally as a emollient and internally as a laxative (and a warning saying that it can be addictive!)

Anyways I've used it for 2 months now. At first, I used a Q-tip (cotton bud) to neatly brush it on my lashes and brows. After a month I became restless with this regime and just pour a little bit out and basically smother my eye with it. I think its been great as an overall eye-cream! It seems to dry out in about 2 hours time.

The only downside is the smell. Also since I wear glasses at night time some inevitably rubs off on my glasses which gets a bit irritating.

My eyelashes sustain heat and mascara everyday (I heat my eyelash curler.) They were starting to seem a bit weak but applying castor oil at night has seemed to improve their condition. Not sure about increasing their length but they seem slightly thicker. Its most noticeable for my bottom lashes. The skin around my eyes seem a bit better as well. No need for expensive eye creams.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2008 4:52:00 PM More reviews by blubellcows

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Okay, a little story here. Once upon a time, I used to use tons of mascara to make my thin, sparse and short eyelashes thick and long. Well, soon enough, all of that mascara caused half of my eyelashes to fall out (I was losing a minimum of 5 lashes per eye a day). Obviously, a lashless eye is very unattractive, so I scoured the boards in hopes of a cure. I got lots of recommendations for Ardell Lash Accelerator, but my CVS didn't carry it, and I honestly didn't want to pay $5 shipping for an item that cost $4.

So, I decided, on the advice of a couple of hair board ladies, to try castor oil. I went and picked up a small bottle of castor oil (the regular pharamacy kind). At night, I dipped a mascara comb into the oil, and combed it onto my upper and lower lashes. In a month, my once short and straight lashes had grown considerably longer, and they even began to curl at the ends! I must say, I was more than happy to throw out my mascaras and lash curlers, because with castor oil, I didn't need any of them anymore!

Oh, and a word of caution. This oil is not especially easy to get off; you'll need more than just water. Also, when I used it on my brows, it caused a few pimples to pop up near my eyebrows, so I'm not sure if this is 100% non-pore clogging.

Hope this helped!