Castor Oil

4.4

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 1/21/2009 8:45:00 PM

To the reviewer below me..Rather than just saying something shouldn't be done, you should have put WHY it shouldn't be done.

I personally LOVE this stuff! I just bought it a week ago. I have been putting it on my face every day as a cleanser mixed with jojoba oil,grapeseed oil or olive oil. (whichever I feel like.) It rub it in for a minute or 2 then got watch tv or get on the computer for a little while. Maybe about 15-30 mins..I forget about it a bit. Then I go back to the bathroom and put a hot washcloth over my face for about 10 seconds and about 5 times. (I keep having to run the cloth under hot water to re-heat it) Then I rub off (not wash off) the remainder. There is still a little left on my face but it absorbs nicely. It doesn't look oily on my face, in fact it looks a bit mattified! My face also looks so clear with no redness like what usually happens after I wash my face with traditional cleanser. The redness after regular cleansing is temporary but not attractive.

I also use it on my eyelashes every night and a bit during the day since I don't have a job and I have the luxury to do that. Hopefully it'll help with my lash growth! I'll update later with my results on that as I have only been doing it for about a week.

I bought it in a little blue bottle from Food Lion for about 2 something? I forgot! I hope to find some of the cold pressed eventually that people say is the best.

edit: after contacting the reviewer below, she decided to put her reasoning into her review.

on 1/16/2009 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

To all you over-pluckers! Castor oil works like magic. While it takes a very long time to see any visible results, it is definitely worth the wait when you start to see your eyebrow hair grow back in places that were bold for ages, It's amazing! I wish the process of growing back my eyebrows was faster, but I'm happy when I see just one little hair start to grow, and then another and another.

P.S. I put the castor oil on my eyebrows every night before I go to bed and I pretty much can't avoid it getting onto my eyelids at some point, so when I open my eyes after waking up, they get irritated and sting like hell. I can't imagine how people can put castor oil on their eyelashes because it irritates the eyes so much.

Anyway...give it a try and be patient!!!

on 1/11/2009 6:37:00 PM

i got my Castor oil today at CVS for $1.49 but the package is different then this post.. it does said for constipation use only, but i consulted with the pharmacists ... they conculed is safe to use cuz castor oil is 100% natural and contain no chemical ... so give it a try.. they also suggest an alternative-almond oil.. But any way wish me luck... i will update soon for any change(s) : )

on 1/5/2009 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Pros:

1. Excellent for hair growth, eyelashes and eyebrows..Makes it thick and strong in a matter of weeks.

2. Great for Oil cleansing method. I personally feel castor oil is a must in OCM. Adding other oils depends on how the specific skin reacts. Some are comfortable to jojoba, olive, avocado, safflower.

3. Good internal lubricant, dont try this regularly without knowing the consequences :-)

4. Surely found in health food stores..whole foods, natures market to name a few.

Cons:

1. Smell is not appealing to me though i find Homehealth brand to be very pleasant..should say "almost" odorless.

2. a little sticky to get a nice flow on skin.a little gentle pressure is needed to spread it out. So need to be careful about overstretching the skin.

3. I couldnt find it in local rite aid or fred meyer where i can shop regularly..may be i just missed it on the shelves.

Brand used : Homehealth

on 12/25/2008 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I was skeptical that this would do anything for brow or lash growth, but since I'm up to trying anything, I started applying castor oil to my lashes and eyebrows every night before bed. It's been a few weeks, and I am already amazed at the difference. My brows are thicker and darker (which is good, as I used to over-pluck), and my eyelashes are definitely wayyy longer than they used to be. When I curl them and appy mascara, they literally reach up and touch my browbone. I'm amazed!

on 12/13/2008 8:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Castor oil works amazingly well for eyelash growth. I have long lashes as it is but I figured, why not go the extra mile and see if I can make them even longer? So, I started using Castor oil every night before falling asleep, and I noticed a definite difference of how long they were before to how long they are now. It really is a miracle product and I would recommend it to anybody who wants longer lashes. Itís a cheap alternative to any lash growth formula and it works just as well if not better. So why not give it a try?

on 11/30/2008 8:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

To the reviewer below - you shouldn't use it for more than 1 week internally ie. as a laxative (as with any laxative). But externally you can use it as often as you'd like.

The type you have purchased is the one that most people use (cheaper drugstore version) - however, health food stores will also sell organic, cold-pressed castor oil for at least double the price. I've used both and didn't notice a difference in quality .... but I just feel better buying the cold-pressed one, so will continue to do that for now.

Great for scalp and eyelashes. I'm just starting to try the OCM .. can't comment yet, as I've only done it a few days - my face is looking horrible thus far with breakouts, but I'm going to be patient with it !

For body moisturizer , I prefer vegetable glycerin to this.

on 11/24/2008 7:40:00 PM

Hi, can somebody tell me is the castor oil I bought today at CVS is the same with the castor oil that you guys using? It says in the bottle Castor Oil USP, Stimulant Laxative for relief of occasional constipation. The price for 4 oz is $ 4.99. I doubt about it because it said in the back to not use it longer than 1 week. I'm kind of scare too if I'm using the wrong product. Thanks for anybody want to help me.

on 11/20/2008 1:27:00 PM

I read about this oil about 6 months ago and is was a long time on my wishlist. I looked in several shops, but I couldn't find it. Untill I spotted it when I was looking for glycerine. I bought it immediatly.

I'm using it for 1,5 weeks now (on lashes and brows) and I really like it. My lashes have grown about 0,2 inches and my brows are darker. I also notice that the lashes are thicker.

The only thing I dislike is the smell of it. It's awful.
The price is very nice: for 1,50 euro I bought a 50 ml bottle.

I think that my lashes and brows will continue growing. It's great stuff. You really should get it.

on 11/12/2008 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

When I was a little girl, my grandmother would tell me how her and her sisters used castor oil on their eyelashes and scalp to grow hair. I can assure you that this works! As a result of dedicated use of castor oil every night for a year, I can now boast that I have the longest eyelashes of anyone I know.
I use a tiny drop on a lash comb to condition my eyelashes after I take off my mascara and cleanse my face.

Popular Brows Products