September 17, 2014 | 1334 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - MAC - Brush Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2008 4:25:00 AM More reviews by jeantanpk

This is a good and gentle brush cleanser. But it finishes too quickly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2008 4:30:00 PM More reviews by circe1202

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used to use Sephora's brush cleanser, but this gives me an easier way to clean my brushes, so I'm more likely to do it on a regular basis! I haven't tried an atomizer like other reviewers just yet, but every day after using some of my staple brushes (242, 239, 217), I take a soft, dry paper towel or tissue and drizzle some of the brush cleaner directly on it. I'm careful not to dig or rub the brush too hard, as this might disrupt the shape of the brush, but rather to softly sweep it across the wet surface on the tissue in a back-and-forth motion. I stop once the brush is wiping clean with no product on the tissue. I then use my thumb and forefinger in a circular shape to pull the bristles downward, to gently reshape the brush. I let them dry with the bristles and ferrule facing downward. They are then clean and ready to go the next time I use them! The cleaner takes off even deep colors with ease, and dries very quickly. I also use this for deep cleaning every two weeks or so, but this cleaner has helped me to be more conscientious in between! Great product, highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2008 11:27:00 AM More reviews by SnowJaz

Love this brush cleanser, it cleans my brushes really well. I pour the cleanser into a spray bottle, so everytime I finished using a brush, I will spray the cleanser on the brushes and wipe the colours off on a tissue or kitchen towel. This way, it makes cleaning brushes a breeze and not messy. It also help cut down the consumption compare to using it right off the bottle.

Definitely will buy again when finish.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2008 8:39:00 PM More reviews by anglomania86

I find that this cleanser is fantastic for cleaning up my brushes. I use it daily especially concerning my concealer brush as sometimes I do need to use it to cover blemishes- so obviously hygiene is key. I try and use the tiniest amount and so far have had my current bottle for 2 months and am about half way through. By the sounds of it, I am using far less of it than some of the other reviewers who have had to repurchase several bottles within this time frame. I shampoo my brushes on occasion, apparently according to some make up artists you should do this every 2/3 weeks but so far I've only done this about once every one and half months. My brushes are clean but I do believe that my 239 isn't as white as it used to be, but this probably means I need to do a deep clean soon. It is annoying that the packaging isn't all that great and that you often get a bit that squirts out or when you tip some onto a napkin or in a container it just leaks down the side too. I haven't tried any other cleanser but I think I will buy this again because for me, it has lasted a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2008 11:41:00 AM More reviews by BuffityGrl

Perfect when I'm too lazy to use soap and water.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2008 11:20:00 AM More reviews by milkypop

What the girls are saying are so right.

1. The packaging sucks. It leaks and tends to overspill.

2. It ain't good for cleaning big brushes loaded with tons of products. You're gonna use up a lot of of this to be able to clean the brushes up.

3. Of course, shampoo can do the job.

However, it's really handy for minor cleanups. Like i said the packaging sucks, so what i do is to distribute it into a smaller flip top bottle! I place said bottle on my dresser and stow the original big bottle away shut tight (so it does not evaporate) into the closet. Hey presto, say goodbye to your lousy bottle spilling over forever, and it taking up precious space on your dresser since its so huge.

After my makeup routine, i take a tissue and fold it in half, pour some of the product onto it, and wipe my brushes onto the tissue. Then i leave my brushes on my dresser to dry. Of course this beats going to your kitchen sink to soak them and shampoo them especially if you are a busy girl and have no time for such brush laundry.

Besides using this to clean brushes, i also use it for a variety of other uses. Sometimes the casing of my makeup items get smears from fingerprints or foundation. I dispense a little onto a cotton pad and wipe them up. At Youtube, the famous makeup guru Enkore taught in his tutorials how to santize your makeup using alcohol. All in all i prefer using this than regular alcohol.

You girls need to watch this!

Sanitary Practices :

Cleaning brushes :

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2008 11:21:00 PM More reviews by kayemarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to use Brush Off but after reading the reviews here I tried this stuff out. I am a longtime MAC user but had never tried their brush cleaner. After finally trying it, I will definitely be purchasing again! The price is economical for a large bottle and it cleans and conditions your brushes well. I use it by pouring it into a small travel size spray bottle I got at Target to use it to clean off my brushes in between uses. I just spray on the brush and wipe on a tissue. I still would recommend shampooing your brushes every so often to deeply cleanse them (any shampoo you would use on your hair will work on your brushes) but this works great to keep them clean!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2008 2:32:00 PM More reviews by Charlin

This is good if you want to clean small brushes, like eyeshadow brushes quickly. It's not very good for brushes that are thick or loaded with make up, like powder brushes and foundation brushes. For one thing, it would cost you a fortune to clean them as you would need a lot of product, even if you dilute it with water as the SA suggests.
I have a mini spray bottle which I fill with half and half water and brush cleaner. If my eye shadow brushes need a quick clean I get a piece of kitchen paper/tissue, spray it on the brush and wipe them clean. This is really handy for when I don't have time to wash them properly as it only takes 10-20 seconds.
My big brushes are washed with plain old washing up liquid, it's the best thing I've used for cleaning my foundation brush.
Overall, this brush cleaner liquid is really useful and I would buy it again, although I would only use it with little brushes.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2008 11:42:00 PM More reviews by gmb03

i love how this dissolves ALL the make up residue in all my brushes. sometimes i use this for spot cleaning my brushes (like 3 times a week) by spraying (yes, i followed the advice of the other reviewers by putting this in an atomizer, really helpful, thanks!) this on the brushes then wiping on paper towels or facial cotton. you'll really see the make up come off easily! about once or twice a month, i spray this on my brushes then rinse the brushes and again, a lot of make up comes off. really nice and cheap product compared to other cleaners!!! i really dont like the packaging though coz it really leaks out of the bottle everytime you use it. its really better to transfer it in an atomizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2008 11:05:00 PM More reviews by lasoltera

I agree with the reviewer right below on every word. Very good. a bottle lasts me like 8 months.