MAC Cleanse Off Oil

4.3

Cetyl Ethylhexanoate,Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Squalane, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Germ Oil, Tocopherol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Water / Aqua / Eau, Rosa Canina (Rose) Fruit Oil, Limonene

on 1/27/2009 6:49:00 PM

Didn't work for me. I was looking for a cleansing oil that would remove my waterproof sunscreen (Shiseido) and this didn't work for that. Even after cleansing my face 3 times in a row (!!!) with it one night, I STILL had sunscreen on my face. I like cleansing oils, but good ones seem a bit hard to locate, so I was really hoping that this would work since there are several MAC counters/stores in my area. I'll just stick with my usual oils by DHC and Fancl, which I have to order by mail (not convenient, imo), but I KNOW that they work well.

on 1/25/2009 8:21:00 PM

I really really wanted to like this. There are so many rave reviews, I figured I could give one too. However, this product dries my skin out and makes it a little irritated. It's weird, because I really don't have dry or sensitive skin. I've only been using it for a week, though, and will post if any changes are seen.

on 1/25/2009 4:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

First of all, I have been using this product for about 2-3 months, so I could safely say that the following is a fair review of MAC's Cleanse Off Oil.

MAC's Cleanse Off Oil is one product that comes this.close to receving a Holy Grail status from me. I'd massage about one pump of this product on my neck, and then two pumps for my entire face (on dry skin). Then I'd gradually rinse off the oil with warm water. Followed by my regular cleanser. I have to say that I never use this product as an eye makeup remover (I'd avoid the eye area whenever I have to slather the oil on my skin), so I couldn't really vouch for those that claim that this product irritates their eyes.

The product is SUPERB in taking off MU, and has almost no fragrance to it. Most importantly, it WORKS with my super sensitive, oily, and acne+blemish+clogged-prone skin. The product claims to be "botanically formulated with oils of olive fruit, evening primrose and jojoba seed and absolutely 100 percent mineral-oil free." My skin agrees wholeheartedly with the said ingredients.

I only have two complaints about this cleansing oil. First of all, the oil could only get rid of (and manage to keep them at bay) about 97% of my blackheads. In its defense, the blackheads that it couldn't get rid off were usually the ones that were quite deeply planted in my skin (ew...), and would even take quite some time for my dermatologist to remove.

Second of all, the bottle annoys me. Yes, you could twist the pump to its "Close" position. But when you're traveling, that bottle tends to get moved around in your bag or suitcase, and it's inevitable that the pump would get moved to its "Open" position. Whenever I had to travel with this bottle, I would have had to tape the top part of the pump to the clear bottle with a big sticky tape so that the pump wouldn't move around. Inconvenient much?

All in all, I love this product, and will continue purchasing the Cleanse Off Oil.

EDIT (December 2013): Been using this cleansing oil since 2009, and this is still my #1 product for taking off my MU! Tried other various cleansing oils, but either they would break me out, or not clean off the MU very well. Or BOTH *shudders*. Sometimes when I don't have any MU on, and I just feel that I need that extra step in cleaning my face (like after being outdoor near an extremely polluted area), then I will use this before my regular cleanser. But how annoying that they STILL don't have a travel version of this product!

on 1/23/2009 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wanted to love this, but alas, it is simply not meant to be.

PROS: (1) takes off all my make up!! (2) smells nice and calming (3) great packaging, I do not experience any oil leakage or perspiration, and the pump dispenses the perfect amount. (4) turns into a milk when rinsing off and leaves skin clean without a trace of cosmetics.

CONS:
(1) If this product was so good, than why the low rating you ask? The break outs. Typically cosmetic acne appears on the skin after a mere week of using a new product, such as face wash, foundation, lotions, etc. Therefore you know right away what products to continue using, and which not to. However, there is a exception to this rule- oil. It takes 6- 8 weeks before getting a reaction from oil. It slowly builds up in the pores, and than explodes into a huge array of little pimples all over cheeks, nose, and chin. I was so upset by the awful reaction! It took me a while to pin it down to this oil, thanks to the help of some articles and talking to my dermatologist.

I will resume my quest to find something affective at removing make up, that won’t clog up my acne prone pores! Meanwhile I will save the bottle and only use it on days that I absolutely need a powerful make up remover. Until than, hopefully I can find a suitable replacement. Wish me luck!

Happy Shopping

on 1/22/2009 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I admit that like most people, I was a bit terrified of this product. I'm scared of putting oil all over my face and because a lot of Mac face products have caused break outs. I asked the MA the best way to use it and she said to apply it to a wet face, and lather the cleanse off oil in my hands, let it sit on my face for a few seconds and rinse. It really works wonders. Takes of waterproof makeup, thick foundation, lips, everything. And afterwards, my dry skin feels really soft. I admit that I don't use this cleanser when I'm not wearing makeup, but when I do use it, it takes off everything so no need to follow up with a toner or another cleanser.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product amazes me. I have combo to dry acne prone skin and was sooo very scared to put oil on my face. I've been using it for about two weeks and so far so good. If a product is going to break me out it usually happens very early on. I used this wrong the first couple times and put it on a wet face with wet hands and then used my regular cleanser (PC one step in normal to dry) and thought to myself "well this is ok, but i dont understand why MUA is so crazy about cleansing oils". Well then I came back and read some of the reviews on it and they said to apply to a dry face with dry hands and then emulsify by adding a bit of water at a time. And wow! This product took off my primer, foundation, powder, blush, highlighter, eye shadow and liner and all but a few traces of mascara. If my skin is feeling on the dry side of combo or it is really cold and evil outside I will just cleanse with this and if I am feeling a bit greasy I will use my PC cleanser after. It is wonderful both ways. Light clean citrus scent and I feel like you get a lot of product for the money. This ones a homerun for me.

*Update*: I'm sad to say that this cleansing oil leaves me with dry patches on my cheeks everytime I use it now even though I only use it on my eyes :(. I do still like it for my brushes but it's pretty expensive to keep repurchasing just to clean my brushes.

on 1/19/2009 3:03:00 AM

I am comparing this to Clinique's "Take the Day Off" Cleansing Balm, which claims to perform similarly to this product. I found Clinique's to work better and faster, however MAC's packaging was better. (Clinique's is more of a wax-like texture in a scoop out containter, while MAC's is a liquid in a pump bottle.)

I purcahsed this instead of Clinique's to try because I can use it for Back To Mac when I'm done. I'll finish up the bottle of this but I will go back to Clinique when I'm done, as it feels less greasy (while somehow smoother at the same time) and actually works a lot faster than MAC.

on 1/14/2009 1:40:00 PM

Where have you been all of my life! I have only recently been interested in a cleansing oil because I've been blind to its benefits for a long time. I was going to try simple Jojoba oil but this one is packed with other natural oils which seemed promising. It doesn't take off ALL eye makeup (I use Avon eye makeup remover for that) but it takes off my Mac Prep+Prime SPF 50 and Revlon Colour Stay AND my Clinique instant pore perfector (I have massive pores). My face feels great after I use this oil and I don't always cleanse with my regular cleanser afterwords because there is no film left to wash off. Great product.

on 1/11/2009 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I didn't like this product and would not buy it again. My issue isn't with the product it's self. It works great.

My problem is this. I heard great things about it so the last time I was buy MU at the MAC counter, I asked the MUA about it. My only question was "is it safe for contact lens wearers?" She said of course it is. Everything MAC makes is contact lens safe. WRONG! This clouded my lenses something awful. Even if I took my lenses out first, then used the product, it clouded my eyes where I had to use drops to see clear again. Yuck! At least I had clean eyes, i guess.

The only reason I gave this 2 lippies is because it does work. Just not for anyone with eyes!

i've been using this product for a while now and til now i still like it a lot. i use it for my face and eye and i like to use dark eyeliners and this cleanse off oil break down the makeups very well, even though it feels very oily while using it but after you wise it off with water, it's not oily at all. if you're thinking about getting it, you should give it a try!