MAC Russian Red

4.6

on 1/17/2011 7:27:00 PM

Best bright red lipstick on the planet - no doubt about it. Russian Red and Shu Uemura Red 165 are my 2 every day bright reds (blotted, un-blotted, mixed with darker reds) -- this is *the* bright red lipstick you've been looking for -- if you've been looking for a classic bright red lipstick.

I've been using Shu's Red 165 since 1990 and just discovered Russian Red a little over a year ago - was so thrilled. Gives the best red stain when blotted.

on 1/9/2011 5:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I love this lipstick!!! It is the perfect matte red. I swatched Ruby Woo while at the MAC counter and it was a bit chalky, but Russian Red went on smoothly and beautifully. The color really stains and lasts for a long time. I've worn it all day and eaten meals, and the color still remains. It's a bright red, a little darker than a true red, and it was exactly what i was looking for. Unfortunately it's so pigmented that it's difficult to precisely apply, but that's my only complaint. Overall, i am very happy with this product and would definitely buy again.

on 1/6/2011 3:56:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Looking for a good red lipstick is tricky for my NC40/42 skintone, but finally I found my HG! Looks dark and vampy on the tube, but translates beautifully on the lips! It has a matte finish, but I don't find it drying at all, especially when worn over lip balm - which is saying much, considering I have really dry, chapped lips. Russian Red doesn't settle on the lines, nor does it dry my lips out. Incredible lasting power as well! Resists lip-licking, eating, drinking, and so on. Best MAC purchase to date!

on 12/28/2010 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

What a cool red lipstick! At first i freaked out because it was soooo bright on me, but after blotting it out a bit and cleaning the lines, I looked at my face and the effect was nice. I can wear this lipstick without ANYTHING on my face and i'd still look all dolled up. Yes, it's a tad drying. But nothing like putting a balm 10 minutes before. So I can do my eyes first then this and finally my face. I know it sounds wierd but if you do your face first, and you accidentally smudge your lips, it is hard to clean up your face. I'm really liking this lipstick. It's true what they say, if you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. This lipstick will make you look confident and not trashy if you put it on properly.

on 12/22/2010 11:22:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Coarse

My second MAC lipstick (my first was Viva Glam Cyndi) and my first with matte finish. I've read raves about it and was curious to try it. I would have loved to try Lady Danger, too, but for some mysterious reason it's not available in Finland. So I tried Russian Red, Ruby Woo (which was so matte it looked more like powder than lipstick), So Chaud (which was more orange than red) and Chili (which was more brown than red). Russian Red won hands down.

I love the shade: pure unapologetic red, and the finish: matte but definitely creamy, not powdery. Staying power is excellent and what's best it doesn't leave stains on the rims of glasses or teacups. The only minus is that it's slightly drying, but that can be fixed with any good lip balm. The bonus is that it's a great combo with OPI Vodka & Caviar nail polish!

on 12/16/2010 5:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

no no this not works for me,I am brunet whit brown eyes end olive skintone ,this lipstick make my lips small end dry

on 12/16/2010 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

LOVE! I've been lemming this for a while and I finally went and bought it yesterday. It is a strong, cool toned classic red with no gloss or shimmer. The staying power is very good and it is very smooth to apply. Unfortunately, all of my liners look terrible with this so I haven't worn this without blotting it a lot. If you plan on wearing it as it was intended you'll need a liner or it won't look tidy. I've been looking for a good red and tried a few by revlon and loreal but I wasn't that impressed with the texture or the colors. I have very pale (bedsheet) white skin with slightly pink undertones. I wear 00BB, #2 in GA, lightest color in MUFE, N3 in mac. Blue eyes, bright pink lips. It works perfectly. I've been blotting it with a tissue and it leaves a beautiful flushed look. I like to use lipsticks as blushes as well and I think this will look great too. I can't imagine any skintone that this wouldn't work on. More warm toned girls might want to try chili which is more orange than blue. I am now also lemming for ruby woo and viva glam cyndi.

on 12/9/2010 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

very pretty cool toned red lipstick. so very pretty , i love it very intense as well

on 11/30/2010 10:24:00 PM

The color and finish look great, but it is too dry. It feels like a Crayola crayon.

on 11/29/2010 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

MAC's Russian Red is a really good classic red for me. It has a good matte texture and can be worn dabbed on for a dash of colour or built up to be a really beautiful red.