April 20, 2014 | 933 users online

Mascara - BeneFit Cosmetics - They're Real

rated 2 of 5 on 11/26/2013 3:02:00 AM More reviews by bubblewarped

Like a bunch of other people, I got a free sample tube at Sephora for my birthday, and "free" does a lot to temper my judgement... That said, save your money. Don't have much to add to what's already been said -- it's not the worst thing I've ever put on my eyes but far too expensive for being comparable to any old drugstore mascara that *kinda* lengthens (but also kinda clumps...) and doesn't do much for volume at all. The brush is unforgivingly stiff and spiky but still doesn't seem to effectively comb through my individual lashes; the product seems to just "rub" on rather than glide smoothly. The sample tube is cute and convenient for throwing in a clutch or something but I'd be pretty mad if I paid money for something so mediocre.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/25/2013 5:35:00 PM More reviews by katiebev

Meh. I was really excited to try this product and ready to love it! It doesn't flake off, doesn't really budge after applying-- great. But as far as non- clumping goes? Not a fan- yes this coats the lashes well, but it makes mine stick together in an unattractive, sort of sparse looking spidery fashion of you're not super careful, quick to apply and separate the lashes. Not horrible, just average mascara. For the price it's a definite no. Just like Great Lash. The brush is very hard and coarse (uncomfortable) as well.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2013 11:25:00 AM More reviews by princessplumjade

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

FOR REFERENCE: I'm a 43-year-old Latina with slightly oily skin (sensitive, non-pigemented, slight redness, and minor facial lines). I have VERY sensitive eyes and wear minimal eye makeup. .

MY LASHES: thin, fine, sparse, short, and medium brown

USAGE: I applied and wore ONE COAT of this mascara (upper lashes only) and wore it ONCE for ONE day. And that was more than enough!

REVIEW: AWFUL PRODUCT for my sensitive eyes. Just AWFUL. I wish I'd read reviews here before trying this.

I received a sample from my Sephora birthday package. I don't expect miracles from any mascara, just comfortable application/wear, lash definition, darker color, and a little volume if I can work it up. I don't want to pull, squeeze, scrub, or rub oily potions onto my eyes to remove makeup.

This product disappointed me horribly. Application was painful. I'm not kidding, the applicator actually HURT my lids! They felt scratched and irritated. I got dark black color and minor clumping, but not even minimal length or thickness. I had to add a coat of Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume just to get some definition.

Halfway through my (short) workday, I discovered terrible, obvious smudging. I do wear eye cream, concealer, brightener, and powder, which can prompt smudging, but I've never experienced smudging with my Lash Blast Volume worn alone.

At days end, removing this product was just one more problem. It doesn't wash off with water-soluble cleanser. Even after use of makeup remover, I STILL had dark residue on my eye area and undereye area. Just what my natural dark circles needed.

Normally, I like to be fair and give a product a few chances for me to learn to work with it, but I just don't have the skin and the lashes to spare for this. This is obviously a "love it or hate it" mascara. I absolutely can't stand it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/22/2013 6:07:00 PM More reviews by Mmandyy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

What a load of crud. I am always on the search for best mascara in the world and this was sold to me as the best selling mascara in Myer (department store in Australia). It is everything I loathe in a mascara (all the things the sales assistant said it was not). It smudges, it clumps, it applies unevenly, it crumbles. The only reason I didn't throw it away after the first application is because it was so darn expensive. Horrible. Hate it! Never again!!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2013 3:15:00 PM More reviews by MYCATSHADOW

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I need 2 review this fantastic mascara 4 those people that love the look of false lashes and want the most comfortable feel and smudge free look. I love the look of extensions but have decided against since I do wash my eye area with exfoliants, I wear contacts & have extremely sensitive eyes. iv tried almost every mascara out there. I loved the Georgio Armani Eyes 2 kill excess and the original, but its way 2 expensive 2 continue 2 purchase. I then discovered the dramatic effect of the Maybelline Collasal vol. in the yellow tube, and loved that, but was not pleased with the slight smudges at the end of the day. This particular mascara holds a curl, lengthens, dramatically volumizes, and does not smudge or budge even thru a 2 hour workout. The lashes look the same at the end of the day as they did in the morning. plus is comfy 4 sensitive contact lens wearers. A+++ in my book.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by repercussionist

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Mascara is one of those products that no matter how happy you are with your current product, you always wonder, Is there something better out there? Lately, I've been on a deluxe sample kick with mascaras, hoping to find the next big thing for me.

Even though I had heard many raves about Benfit's They're Real, I was reluctant to try it. Sales associates, whenever I would bring up my unending quest to find the most volumizing mascara in existence, would steer me away from this product, saying it was more for lengthening than volumizing. I finally got a sample with my Sephora makeup gift, and I must say I disagree with those who would say this mascara is not a good volumizer. It actually gives me plenty of volume -- as much as my drugstore standby, Voluminous. So long as you apply it thoroughly and maybe even do two coats, your lashes will look pretty dang fab.

Another thing I like about this product is the wand. I don't care for wands that have these fancy shapes designed to "help" me get the best shape out of my lashes (e.g., Lancome Hynose Drama). I find most of those shapes only work if you are able to apply your mascara dexterously with both hands, which I cannot. All mascara gets applied with my dominant hand, which means my wand needs to be symmetrical. This wand is symmetrical, except for that spiky ball at the tip, but I am still able to apply the mascara evenly and use the ball as necessary, with great success.

I would definitely purchase the full size of this product now that my sample has run dry. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2013 8:29:00 AM More reviews by olithea

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got a tiny tube of this as a gift from Sephora, and I quite like it. I'll preface everything though with I don't really need to wear mascara because I have long dark lashes, I usually only wear a little bit with neutral eye looks to keep myself from looking too washed out. I thought this formula was very lengthening and gave my lashes a nice little bit of curl. As far as I can tell it doesn't smell like anything, which is my major problem with a lot of mascaras. I wish the brush for it was a tiny bit different, my eye area is so small that I don't feel I have a lot of control and I like thinner wands, but that's just me.

When I run out of the sample, I might pick up a full sized tube of this, but fortunately for me, I wear mascara so infrequently and so little of it that the sample will probably last me quite a while. If you have lighter colored, sparser lashes this might not be volumizing or lengthening enough for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2013 1:18:00 AM More reviews by SarahLiz04

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this mascara! One coat looks like two or three of another brand. The brush is amazing. No clumps and can easily separate lashes. It's definitely one of my top five make-up must haves.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2013 7:14:00 PM More reviews by alphaxideltalove

My absolute favorite mascara. I have tried the most of mascaras available by the major brands (i.e.:Rimmel, L'oreal, Covergirl, Maybelline etc.). Ive tried both the Drugstore brands and High end brands and this is the one of the best I have ever used (The only reason it's not THE best is because I consider this my Declumping-Defining- Separating Mascara. I also have my favorite Volumizing mascara and my favorite Lengthening Mascara.)
I have on hand at one time about 20 mascara's, I throw away about 3-4 months after purchase.(I'll usually use a hole punch and punch a hole in a label sheet and write the number of month on it then put that on the bottom on my mascara.) When I ran out of my first tube of they're real I tried so many different drugstore lengthening/defining/anti clumping mascaras but after a while I realized I was spending more money on the DS Mascaras that weren't even working nearly as well as the They're real and if I just bought that macara i the first place then I would of actually saved money.
All in All I learned that for me, They're Real is one of the best mascaras out the it makes every eyelash separated and defined if I curl them the whole day I can feel my eyelash tips touching my eyebrows and unlike other mascaras it will hold that curl until I take it off. lastly it stays soft and doesnt give you that crunchy lash feeling some mascaras do.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2013 8:33:00 PM More reviews by TaraTart

I'm in love!

I have long but sparse lashes, and I've tried every gimmicky mascara under the sun -- from Maybelline to Clinique to Chanel, and I can tell you without a doubt, that Benefit's "They're Real" mascara is the absolute best! My thin and boring lashes now look full and sexy. People have even asked me if I'm wearing falsies!! I will never wear another mascara. The wand is magical, and easy to use.

For me, the only con is that it just comes in black, so as a green-eyed blonde, I have to be careful on how many coats I put on my lashes. I wish the mascara came in a brown-black, purple or cocoa. Other than that, it's perfection.