beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 6/10/2013 1:30:00 PM

I'm the type of person who has always used my fingers to apply foundation and concealer. I tried a foundation brush from F/X once and really didn't like it, it seems as though the product remains on the brush and my face remains blotchy....

Recently I've been watching tutorials with Sonia Kashuk's stippling brush and was about to purchase until the Beautyblender Pro sponge came to my attention.

I bought it recently at the Baie and am very happy with it. It's certainly faster and more hygienic than application with fingers and gives a nice finish. One big con for me is the price CAD$29.89. That seems like highway robbery for a sponge which at most, even with daily cleansing, would probably only last 3 months. I feel that for that price they should sell at least 3 sponges or sell 1 sponge with the cleanser. If anyone knows of a dupe (of equivalent quality but cheaper price) for this product please let me know.

I just read reviews on the Ulta sponge and the Sephora sponges. Hmmmm, not too encouraging. Perhaps I will stick to my Beauty Blender this product does give astounding results...

on 6/9/2013 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Okay, I'm a believer. I'm ashamed of myself now, because this whole I've been blaming the foundation for looking bad. But it was the application tool I was using that was screwing me over. I avoided buying this for years because I just couldn't get myself to believe that a puny little sponge could make a difference. And the price tag couldn't justify it.

Well hold your horses, skeptics. This ain't no regular sponge, like the kinds you get in the 6-packs at Walmart. I've been using flat top brushes for all these years, but upon comparing these side to side, I see what the justified hype is all about regarding beautyblender. If you are not observant or don't care about every little anal detail and diffusion of your foundation like I do, this won't impress you. But if you are like me, and you have this sick obsession with your foundation looking near perfect, it's worth a shot with beauty blender. I didn't even realize how bad and uneven my foundation was going on until I used beautyblender. It blurs the pores better than any brush I've used, and is the closest thing to airbrush that you can get without an actual airbrush.

WHen you are selecting tools for foundation application, always think back to your kindergarten art classes and painting time. Or if you're a gangbanger who does graffiti, think about how paint goes on. Airbrush is obviously the most diffused. But between a sponge and a brush, the sponge gives more of the diffused, lightweight speckle effect and the brush "sinks" in (to pores and crevaces) and masks what it's on. Once you get into what types of sponges, the only way I can explain beautyblender's superiority is that I think it's woven more tightly or something. I suggest wetting this before use.

Cons: You don't get as much coverage with it upon first layer, and it takes longer to do your makeup. It's kinda awkward to maneuver. It's also unhygienic and hard to care for. It's delicate, so you must be careful not to tear it. But the end result is worth it.

Skeptics, this is one of those things you should just go ahead and order from Sephora. You can return if you don't like it, or put it up for swap on MUA. I'm sure lots of people will want to snag it from you.

EDIT: Lowered by one star because the maintenance of this is rather tedious. Cleaning it is a pain and it does stain no matter how much you try. I'm probably not supposed to do this, but I soak it in isopropyl alcohol. Otherwise, you have a sponge full of bacteria. Wish there was a better way.

on 6/7/2013 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Great product, and superior to other makeup sponges around. Its composition and shape really enables economical usage of creamy / waxy / pressed mineral foundations, as it presses and spreads the product on the face so beautifully.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The day I first used this sponge was the day I stopped using foundation brushes. Where has this thing been my whole life?! This sponge is like magic I tell you! It actually makes any foundation I use look better then it does with a brush. This actually presses the foundation into the skin, making your foundation look just like your skin...only better. I even notice my foundation sets faster and nicer when I use the beauty blender.

Foundations I have used and don't care for even look better when I use this!

The only downfall is the sponge was really hard to clean until I finally went out and bought the beauty blender cleanser (solid). If your going to invest in buying this sponge, I suggest getting the proper cleaner or else you will never get the sponge fully cleaned (and it will stain!)

on 6/7/2013 10:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

I LOVE my beauty blender. It makes my makeup go on flawlessly and look dewy after application. Previously i had been using a brush and would get disappointed when I saw streaks however this is never a problem with the beauty blender. My only complaint is the price, given that you have to replace them every 3 months or so.

on 6/7/2013 10:32:00 AM

I was a little hesitant to buy this product since i preferred to stick to my brushes. But I heard such rave reviews about this product that I wanted to give it a shot. I was considering buying a dupe, but figured I should give a the original one a chance.

This sponge may look ordinary but I was really impressed by it! It doesn't feel like a normal sponge at all.

When I used it to apply liquid products like my liquid foundation, bb cream and concealer, I could see that it made my makeup super seamless and smooth! My foundation had no streaks at all and it kinda looked like my second skin!

on 6/6/2013 12:58:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

A must have for applying my BB Cream. I soak it with water first and ring it out so its kind of wet which makes applying my bb cream so much better :)

UPDATE: Sept 24/13

I still love the beauty blender but I found something that works even better. The real technique buffing brush by Samantha Chapman ( You can find it at any Walmart) is amazing when applying liquid foundation or a BB cream.

on 6/5/2013 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Beauty Blender, where have you been all my life? I love this little guy! I love the feel when you add water and it expands. I love how soft it feels against my skin. It was pretty expensive compared to similar sponges, I paid almost $30 CAD for just one, at Sephora, when I've seen similar sponges for less than $10. But none of the other sponges had the pointy end which is great for getting into the smaller spaces beside your nose and inner corners of your eyes. The only thing I hate about this sponge is that it never really gets clean. No matter how many times I try to wash it, a little bit of foundation always remains. Oh, and I use my face wash (or sometimes, shampoo) to wash my sponge (I researched online and found that using the cleanser that comes with it doesn't clean any better -it still remains stained). It takes about a week of air-drying for the little guy to shrink back to it's original size. I kept the little plastic container it came in, for storage. Would I repurchase this? hellz yeah, my friend, I love this little guy!

on 6/4/2013 10:15:00 AM

Best makeup purchase I have made in a long time! EVERY foundation I have tried this with, it has made it look more flawless and I've had to use less product. Plus it speeds up the time I have to take on foundation and concealer! Absolutely 100% worth the $25 that I spent on my two-pack. Only (very, very small and insignificant) problem I have found is that some foundations tend to stain the beauty blender (i.e. Revlon colorstay) but I can absolutely live with this!
One recommendation: I found that the best way to clean this is just with a regular face cleanser with a more liquid, soapy, gel-like consistency (not sure what this is called--not a cream or foam), something like the Cetaphil facial cleanser. I find that this type of cleanser gets the product out fast and doesn't get stuck in the sponge.
Everyone needs this in their makeup collection! Worth the hype!

on 6/2/2013 9:50:00 AM

Love the beauty blender, applies makeup flawlessly.

However I have concerns, as the blender is slightly wet when using, I am afraid that this is affect my sunscreen. What I mean about that is, will the water remove some of the sunscreen (I put that on first every morning, and let it soak in a few mins), making it less effective?

I use la roche posay anthelios 50 (i have very very fair skin). However, I am sure this sunscreen is not water proof and I don't want to change to another one because it really suits my skin best.

I sent a message to beauty blender but don't know if their response will be bias, are there any dermatologists out there who could answer this question for me?

Popular Misc Beauty Tools