beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 6/25/2013 3:37:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

So glad I gave this product a second chance. After disliking it at first due to not giving my full coverage fdnt a full coverage effect, I love it. The second time I tried it it gave me just the right amount of coverage to cover my redness and blemishes. I run it under the sink and squeeze the water out, squeeze with a towel as well, and dip it in my fdnt and bounce it on skin all over. It feels so cool and soft when on your face, and gives your foundation a natural non-cakey look. Brushes can leave streaks but the beautyblender doesnt. I use to apply fdnt, blend, and apply concealer under your eye. When washing, it does bleed pink for several washes. The only thing I dislike is the price. $20 for a sponge? However I would repurchase this. Definitely recommend this to anyone.

on 6/25/2013 7:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Im deff a believer now. At first i was skeptical. I mean come on it is quite expensive for a sponge. But it does wonders! It's easy to use and gives a beautiful finish. Only down side? HATE CLEANING IT.

on 6/19/2013 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

This wee sponge does WONDERS.

My skin is super dry, and even with regular exfoliation and moisturising, it is so difficult for me to apply my makeup without flakes... but not with the BeautyBlender! I dampen it ever so slightly and then use a stippling motion to blend my makeup, using the pointed tip around my eyes and nose, and it gives a near perfect finish! It doesn't soak up much product, just distributes it and helps achieve a gorgeous blend. I use it both when applying my concealer and foundation.

Amazing little sponge that I will repurchase again and again - it has really been worth the money for me!

on 6/17/2013 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Shall I start by saying that I LOVE it? :) I haven't used sponges for ages. It's been all about flat kabuki brushes for the past several years for me. But now that I have tried the beautyblender I do not even touch or look at the brushes anymore. It's amazing! Honestly! Perfect air-brushed photoshopped foundation application ever. Would I buy it again? Oh, I am seriously thinking of buying a pro-bag with 100 sponges in it :) Seriously now. There are downsides as well. First of all, my EL double-wear light stains it like there is no tomorrow. Nothing can wash these stains off, even if I wash the sponge right away. Second of all, the price. Come on! I paid something like 19 euro for a sponge. SPONGE! Hello?! It won't last forever. I don't think it will even make it through the summer, especially since I am so desperately trying to keep it stain-free. I have also noticed that I am using more foundation with it than I did when I was using brushes. And the last thing - why, oh, why didn't I buy it as soon as it was released? Wasted years without this amazing product! (sorry, guys, this is the first product that has really impressed me lately!) If you are hesitating, then don't. Just go and get it.

Without a doubt one of THE best makeup tools invented. I use this with Almay Clear Complection foundation and the end result is more natural and flawless than I ever thought possible. Totally brilliant!!!

on 6/17/2013 10:39:00 AM

The only reason I really didn't give this a 4/5 for overall rating is that I hate having to clean it so often. I never thought I would love a sponge applicator for my foundation, but this has really impressed me. The texture is silky smooth, and blends very nicely and does not absorb so much of the product like I would have imagined a sponge would. I normally use MAC #187 or Sephora's pro airbrush #55 to apply my foundation (MAC SFF or MAC Matchmaster) but I found that the beautyblender cuts down the time of application. I wouldn't say it applies BETTER than the #187 or Sephora #55, but it is JUST as good which I think is a lot considering it's a sponge. I dab on the foundation with my fingertip on my face first, then blend it out by lightly dabbing it with the beauty blender. Then I apply my concealer with my fingertip, and blend that out using the smaller pointed end (under eye, around the nose/mouth). I have to say, I am very thoroughly impressed and will definitely be purchasing it again.

on 6/14/2013 1:10:00 AM

I like this for heavier foundations. It blends it seamlessly with the skin and makes it not go on as thick. For lighter not as heavy products it doesn't work as well and you get almost no coverage. So it works with only some products.

on 6/10/2013 2:44:00 PM

I love this product, it makes the application of foundation so much quicker ans easier than using your fingers and so much less mess. It allows foundations to look flawless on your skin and makes you skin feel hydrated.

on 6/10/2013 1:30:00 PM

I'm the type of person who has always used my fingers to apply foundation and concealer. I tried a foundation brush from F/X once and really didn't like it, it seems as though the product remains on the brush and my face remains blotchy....

Recently I've been watching tutorials with Sonia Kashuk's stippling brush and was about to purchase until the Beautyblender Pro sponge came to my attention.

I bought it recently at the Baie and am very happy with it. It's certainly faster and more hygienic than application with fingers and gives a nice finish. One big con for me is the price CAD$29.89. That seems like highway robbery for a sponge which at most, even with daily cleansing, would probably only last 3 months. I feel that for that price they should sell at least 3 sponges or sell 1 sponge with the cleanser. If anyone knows of a dupe (of equivalent quality but cheaper price) for this product please let me know.

I just read reviews on the Ulta sponge and the Sephora sponges. Hmmmm, not too encouraging. Perhaps I will stick to my Beauty Blender this product does give astounding results...

on 6/9/2013 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Okay, I'm a believer. I'm ashamed of myself now, because this whole I've been blaming the foundation for looking bad. But it was the application tool I was using that was screwing me over. I avoided buying this for years because I just couldn't get myself to believe that a puny little sponge could make a difference. And the price tag couldn't justify it.

Well hold your horses, skeptics. This ain't no regular sponge, like the kinds you get in the 6-packs at Walmart. I've been using flat top brushes for all these years, but upon comparing these side to side, I see what the justified hype is all about regarding beautyblender. If you are not observant or don't care about every little anal detail and diffusion of your foundation like I do, this won't impress you. But if you are like me, and you have this sick obsession with your foundation looking near perfect, it's worth a shot with beauty blender. I didn't even realize how bad and uneven my foundation was going on until I used beautyblender. It blurs the pores better than any brush I've used, and is the closest thing to airbrush that you can get without an actual airbrush.

WHen you are selecting tools for foundation application, always think back to your kindergarten art classes and painting time. Or if you're a gangbanger who does graffiti, think about how paint goes on. Airbrush is obviously the most diffused. But between a sponge and a brush, the sponge gives more of the diffused, lightweight speckle effect and the brush "sinks" in (to pores and crevaces) and masks what it's on. Once you get into what types of sponges, the only way I can explain beautyblender's superiority is that I think it's woven more tightly or something. I suggest wetting this before use.

Cons: You don't get as much coverage with it upon first layer, and it takes longer to do your makeup. It's kinda awkward to maneuver. It's also unhygienic and hard to care for. It's delicate, so you must be careful not to tear it. But the end result is worth it.

Skeptics, this is one of those things you should just go ahead and order from Sephora. You can return if you don't like it, or put it up for swap on MUA. I'm sure lots of people will want to snag it from you.

EDIT: Lowered by one star because the maintenance of this is rather tedious. Cleaning it is a pain and it does stain no matter how much you try. I'm probably not supposed to do this, but I soak it in isopropyl alcohol. Otherwise, you have a sponge full of bacteria. Wish there was a better way.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools