November 20, 2014 | 1994 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2013 1:18:00 PM More reviews by PremierT

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is without a doubt the best sponge I've ever used for applying base but I just don't reach for it. I do my makeup at my vanity and having to soak the thing in water is very inconvenient. Also, because it requires a sink to clean this sits waiting to be cleaned longer than my bushes (which I spot clean after every use) - can't be good for acne prone skin.

I find it covers gently and offers the fullest version of whatever coverage the product that you start with is capable of. Because it is so soft on the skin I don't feel like it blends as well as I'd like and it can leave a 'nice makeup' look to the face instead of the 'nice skin' finish which I prefer. I tend to use this only to blend and soften heavy liquid foundations or blend concealer into my base after I've applied with a brush already. This is great for special occasions when I want full but soft coverage but is too fiddly for daily use.

I like my beauty blenders and I have a couple of them which I use for special occasion makeup. If you're already a sponge user than these are by far the best of their genre but I find brushes much more convenient and provide a less obvious finish.

I think 40 for two sponges is a lot to ask and I'm not sure the product justifies the price. But they are the nicest sponges I've ever tried and they've lasted for a long time. If you're happy to part with the cash they're fine sponges but not sure if I'll be buying any more of them.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/14/2013 8:34:00 AM More reviews by BridgettBeauty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This sponge changed the way i feel about foundation. I used to hate applying it, because my skins so dry it would just patch up. But when i use my damp knock off beauty blender, that i got on ebay for $3....... i love applying my foundation now!! its so fast, and easy. & its just amazing. I recommend any one get this!
Although i am not sure if this is breaking me out, i have very sensitive skin./acne prone. I hope its not this breaking me out tho!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2013 5:07:00 AM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Finally gave into the hype and purchased this from Sephora online. I love it!!! Definitely gives an airbrush finish with Liquid foundations. My perfect way to use this is to set my undereye concealer. I apply my maybelline fit me concealer under my eyes, pour make up for ever hd powder into a lid, dip the pointed side of the beauty blender in the lid and dab under my eyes. This helps set my concealer without making it look Cakey. Only thing I'm still unsure about is how to clean this sponge. Other than that, I def would repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2013 1:39:00 AM More reviews by masqued_dreamer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

After spending well over two years thinking about spending $20 on a little pink sponge, I'm sorry I spent so long pondering it. I will probably never use a brush to apply foundation again. This little sponge is amazing. It applies my foundation much more evenly and smoothly. brushes tend to leave streaks on the face, the beauty blender doesn't because you stipple it on to blend. I have nothing bad to say about this other than the price. It was a win win for me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2013 8:45:00 PM More reviews by nhuthao

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

If you're looking to create a more natural look for everyday use, this is the product for you! I've used kabuki brushes and stippling motions for a long time now, only to realize that I would use more product all over my face and make it look cakey.

Using the BB with any foundation will help to thin it out while still reaping the benefits of the foundation. I use this with foundation then follow up with concealer in problem areas.

This is also great with powder for under the eyes. When I remember to do this, I notice my undereye concealer doesn't cake up all day. I've never experienced that before!

I wash this with my daily face wash every time I use it and then once a week, I use dish washing soap. Keep in mind that heavy duty soaps will remove more bacteria but will also remove the pink color.

Lastly... don't let kids around this fuzzy ball of fun. They'll dig their nails in it and poke holes in your expensive new sponge...

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2013 6:15:00 PM More reviews by girlndocs

This review is for the actual brand name BeautyBlender.

Bottom line: IT IS COMPLETELY WORTH THE $20. In fact, it's the most economical option.

Why? Because it lasts so long. Whereas the only comparably soft dupes I found (Soho football shape, Essence teardrop) started falling apart the minute they got wet. The Soho lasted a grand total of 3 weeks before the shreds were too small to continue using.

At the time of this edit my BB has lasted 7 months and looks brand new apart from slight foundation stains.

7 months = roughly 28 weeks. That is, conservatively, 9 Soho sponge lifetimes, or over $60.

It's just gravy that it also works slightly better than the dupes. It's softer than any of the dupes I tried. It soaks up less foundation than any of the dupes I tried. It washes and rinses out more easily than any of the dupes I tried. And it does blend better than any of the dupes I've tried. It's refreshing to see a product that at least does what it claims without being identical to any of dozens of knockoffs.

I wear my foundation light-to-medium so I can't comment on the full coverage achievable with the Beautyblender. But I'm very happy with the application; I have some flakes from Retin-a that the bouncing motion does not raise up/call attention to, and it also doesn't disturb my sunscreen layer, which I worried about when I used a brush to finish my foundation.

8 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2013 9:36:00 PM More reviews by Ispania

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was very sceptical about all this Beauty blender hype, I can't imagine myself buying a sponge for 20$. The bb I own is from bellabeauty company, which cost me only 5$ at TJ Max and i just adore it!
I have always preferred to apply my foundation with fingers rather than with brush or wedges, but since I bought bb I don't want to even look back. It's much easier. As its recommended I like to damp it before applying foundation, this way I can reach that natural finish like better version of my own skin. The texture of the bb is not the same as latex free wedges, it's more spongy and airy and it gives more natural airbrushed finish. The shape of the bb let's easily apply foundation around nose and eyes, which i can't do with my fingers.
I've been using it for 1 and a half month. It is still in a good shape even though I wash it after every application.
NOTE: I just realized that there are reviews on sponges of beauty blender brand.
As I mentioned above my beauty sponge from BeLLABEAUTY brand. However, I want to leave my review here for those who want to try bb, but find it too expensive.
I do think that bb is way too overpriced for 20$. The quality of the blender I have is excellent and it's affordable. Check your local Marshall or TJ Max.

I will continue repurchasing this bb blender as far as it will be available at the same price.
Update: to keep my b. blender free of germs I started to keep it in the freezer overnight. I don't know how effective it can be but as said above I wash it after every use plus put it in a freezer and so far the sponge didn't lost its shape and in good working condition. When I need it I put it under hot water to let the ice melt. I must say it doesn't melt completely fast, but enough to apply makeup.
I think dipping the sponge into water diluted with3% peroxide will also help, but I haven't tried yet. I will update on this one too.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 7:59:00 PM More reviews by BriddaBella

I've never used sponges before but after all the hype I gave in bought a double pack of the Beautyblender. You use this sponge either just like that or by soaking it into water and squeezing out the excess. The damp sponge will grow and become fluffy for an easy and even application. The sponge gives a finish that is similar if not the same as with the MAC 187.

The downside of this product is that it soaks up the liquid foundation and I end up using a lot more foundation than I would with a brush. The sponge is also very hard to clean and does not last as long as brushes.

If you are interested in using the sponge you might want to check out a cheaper alternative which is the Cosmopolitan Blend Perfection Sponge.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2013 7:20:00 PM More reviews by iheartowls55

For almost as long as I've been wearing makeup, I've always used my fingers too apply foundation. It's just worked best for me. I've found that brushes tend too give me a lighter coverage than I'm used to, and I feel like I have so much more control if I used my own hands. Sponges are just expensive to constantly re-purchase, and I feel they use up too much valuable product. This tool, though, is the best of both worlds. I truly feel like I have control over how much product goes where, and it blends seamlessly. It's like nothing I've ever used before. The $20 price may seem expensive for a beauty tool, but it's so worth it, especially if you ignore the gimmick-y cleanser that comes with it. That makes it costlier. The beauty blender does amazing things with almost any foundation I've tried, and the shape lets you fit it into tight spaces like under your eyes and around the nose. I'm very, very happy with this, and it's totally revolutionized the way I apply my makeup. Give it a try if you're on the fence. I think it's way worth the hype.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2013 6:33:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

I resisted the hype of buying the Beautyblender for years mostly because of the high price but I was lucky to receive the duo pack for Christmas. All I can say is, it's not overrated and is a fantastic little sponge for applying foundation, pressed and loose powder. The flawless, seamless finish is one I've never quite managed to get with a brush, and I've owned several including; the Sigma F80, F82, F84, MAC 187, Everyday Minerals Flat Top Kabuki and the Real Techniques Buffing and Stippling brushes. I just adore how flawless and buffed in it makes heavy liquid and cream foundations look on my skin. The pointed tip works well under the eyes for precise concealer application or blending too. I also own the Cosmopolitan 'Blend Perfection' sponge and it's a very worthy dupe but the Beautyblender reigns supreme for me.

EDIT - January 2014 - after a few months of using the Cosmopolitan 'Blend Perfection' sponge, I've gone back to using the Beautyblender and will not be using any other sponge, it is honestly in a league of it's own. I've actually started to use it to apply my Banana Powder and it works so well, it's such a fabulous multi-tasking sponge!