beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 7/8/2013 12:59:00 AM

BUY IT!! No there is no other cheaper alternative! Nobody wants to pay $20 for a make up sponge but the finish it gives is too good to pass up! Just buy it and you won't regret it! The myth that it will absorb your foundation WRONG!! Damp the sponge and bounce it. I use this with Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation which is Water Based, I don't see that it absorbs more then with a brush, or a non water based foundation.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Love this! I didn't think I could spend $20 on a sponge, but I actually recieved it as a gift and fell in love! It is awesome because it has an amazing way of blending and applying that makes the foundation look like actual skin! My only gripe is that a little piece of the sponge did rip, but it hasn't affected use or quality of it; also you need to clean it frequently.

on 7/3/2013 2:01:00 PM

AMAZING! I honestly didn't think a 20$ makeup sponge could be worth the hype but I tested it out when I had a giftcard to Sephora and was blown away. This gives a finish that is BY FAR more natural than with any brush (and with a lot less work) and due to its shape it can be used with concealer too (all cream/liquid products really), thereby making it a great multitasking product. If you have problem skin, this would be a great product for you because it is not recommended you apply makeup with your fingers (adds bacteria to your skin) and you can't wash a foundation brush and use it straight after. However, since this is meant to be used damp, you can totally clean it right before you use it, reducing the amount of bacteria you would put on your face from using your fingers or dirty brushes. I swear by this especially for covering up blemishes flawlessly.

on 7/2/2013 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

At first I was hesistant on buying this sponge as it is quite expensive. I ended up buying it after all the reviews I had read. It is a good sponge. It gives a very flawless look with your foundation but you can get the same look with brushes and cheaper sponges. The best value is the travel kit for $22. You get a beauty blender and a small bottle of cleanser to clean it with. The cleanser is very good, I use it to clean my make up brushes. I've heard people say that if you look after the sponge properly it will last months. I am not sure if I will buy this sponge again but it is nice to have in your make up kit.

on 7/2/2013 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

A wet beautyblender sponge is my secret weapon for building coverage quickly over problem areas. I love this thing! It's the only sponge I'll use.

on 6/30/2013 4:58:00 PM

All of you having trouble cleaning your beautyblender sponge; are you wetting it before using it??? What makes this sponge stand out from all the others is that you thoroughly soak it first, then squeeze it out (I was told to also squeeze it in a towel) it doesn't absorb make up like others do and I find it cleans easily. I have used mine with liquid and cream make up and no problem getting makeup off. I rinse it immediately after use and if the makeup doesn't all come off I use a little bit of baby shampoo or whatever I use for face washing. I have had mine for 3 months, use daily and it only has a very light discoloration.

I keep reading about people using this sponge dry; the most important thing about the sponge it is suppose to be wet first, it grows in size and wetting it keeps it from soaking up all the makeup.

on 6/26/2013 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

*EDIT: Cleaning the sponge* I've had luck with Pond's Cold Cream, while dish soap, liquid hand soap, and liquid makeup remover all failed (it's been suggested to soak the sponge in the dish soap for a period of time but I didn't want to take the chance of the sponge breaking down in it for whatever reason). I fully saturated the sponge with water, generously rubbed the cream into the it, then ran it under water as I squeezed out the cream-- it oozes out in pieces with the makeup attached. After I was sure all of it was out, I washed the sponge with a little liquid hand soap.
---
I tried this out because my nose is narrow so that it's impossible to get even, streak-free coverage with my Sigma stippling brush. The Beautyblender has eliminated this problem for me. I prefer extremely light foundation coverage overall (I use less than half a pea size to cover my T-zone), but I find I must use more than twice that amount with the sponge because it absorbs most of the foundation even when fully expanded. But, this isn't a big downside since my foundation expires eons before I can finish the 1 oz. tube. That being said, I dab product on the areas I want to cover, stipple the Beautyblender over my face, and I get a beautiful veil of light, even, dewy and perfectly-blended coverage. For me, this is a superior tool for spot correction over a stippling or paddle brush because it deposits product on top of the blemish instead of dragging product around like a paddle brush does; I have found stippling brushes too stiff to conceal the raised portion of most blemishes. I still prefer a small, flexible paddle brush for undereye concealer.
I haven't tried washing the sponge yet, but I'm not going to buy the cleaner. I might try a dish soap mixture and edit the review.
The packaging is all right because it provides a place to dry the sponge but I wish the lid was stronger like the container-- it's just a flimsy plastic cover that probably wouldn't survive a suitcase.

on 6/25/2013 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I use this to blend in my foundation, concealer, corrector, etc. I find that it gives SUCH a natural finish without smudging off any product, which tends to sometimes happen when i blend using my fingers if i forget to pat. I would not apply product directly onto the sponge because the product WILL be absorbed, but if you apply product directly on your face and then use the blender, your makeup looks STUNNING!

on 6/25/2013 3:37:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

So glad I gave this product a second chance. After disliking it at first due to not giving my full coverage fdnt a full coverage effect, I love it. The second time I tried it it gave me just the right amount of coverage to cover my redness and blemishes. I run it under the sink and squeeze the water out, squeeze with a towel as well, and dip it in my fdnt and bounce it on skin all over. It feels so cool and soft when on your face, and gives your foundation a natural non-cakey look. Brushes can leave streaks but the beautyblender doesnt. I use to apply fdnt, blend, and apply concealer under your eye. When washing, it does bleed pink for several washes. The only thing I dislike is the price. $20 for a sponge? However I would repurchase this. Definitely recommend this to anyone.

on 6/25/2013 7:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Im deff a believer now. At first i was skeptical. I mean come on it is quite expensive for a sponge. But it does wonders! It's easy to use and gives a beautiful finish. Only down side? HATE CLEANING IT.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools