April 18, 2014 | 1778 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2012 3:32:00 PM More reviews by ChristinaMarieT

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

It's amazing how something so ordinary and common as coconut oil can turn out to be that one thing your body really needs to look beautiful. Seriously, forget all the expensive hair treatments, lip treatments, and exfoliators. I paid $5.99 for 16 ounces worth of product that I can not only eat, but use for multiple beauty needs. Really now, what's better than that?

I use Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil primarily for my hair. I scoop out a generous amount of the flesh, and then proceed to heat it up in the microwave until it melts into oil. I make sure all of my hair (and my scalp, too! Coconut oil is great for dry scalps) is completely saturated. Then I put on a shower cap, blow dry it for some extra heat, and let my hair remain as such over night. On the next day, I shampoo the oil out and use a hair mask. The results are amazing. My hair is left feeling incredibly soft, from the roots to the ends. My waves are perfect ringlets. My hair is so shiny and practically frizz-free. Sadly, I do have to shampoo my hair two times to remove all of the grease, but that is a small price to pay when it comes to the awesome results I get.

The oil that's not used for my hair, I place on my lips. It's definitely the best lip treatment for cheap. I get kissable lips in an instant. This is the perfect base for lipstick.

It's been mentioned in other reviews that you can also use coconut oil as a scrub. I gotta say, that's true, too. Coconut oil naturally works to heal skin, so mixing it with sugar makes a gentle, yet powerful exfoliator that gets rid of all dead skin cells and works to hydrate new skin underneath. It can also be used as a simple moisturizer for really dry skin.

Whether you like to spend big bucks on high-end products or prefer to be on a lower budget, either way, know that you can't go wrong when using mother nature to look beautiful. :)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2012 10:42:00 AM More reviews by allisonallison

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I use coconut oil to remove my eye makeup every night, and have been doing so for more than a year. I take a pea-sized amount (or smaller) and rub it over my eye, then take a washcloth and wet it with warm water, and wipe off the coconut oil. I wash my face afterwards with my regular cleanser. It removes EVERYTHING, including the waterproof hard-to-remove products. It has never broken me out, smells fantastic, and is so inexpensive because of how little you use. I also mix it with sugar and use it as a scrub for my hands, lips, and feet. It's amazing. I will never need to buy another makeup remover (except to use while travelling, as the jar of coconut oil I have is rather large, and can be a bit messy if it gets warm and melts). I've converted a friend and my sister, and they both love it too!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2012 9:56:00 AM More reviews by josie13

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is great for my bleached to within an inch of its life hair. I use it a a pre-shampoo conditioner. I just slather it on, leave it for at least half an hour then shampoo and condition as usual. Several hairdressers have commented on the fact that my hair is shiny and does not look frazzled from all the bleach.
Update
I use coconut oil whilst bleaching my hair. I make sure that my hair is covered with the oil then I apply bleach. It keeps my hair moisturised through the bleaching process.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2012 7:24:00 PM More reviews by JasmineJolene

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love using this. I have a super-cheap option from Superdrug, I would buy a food grade version but I can't be bothered.

I use it on my hair, my face, my body....to moisturise, to remove make up - the possibilities are endless! I should keep a spoon upstairs though as I am always wrecking my nails getting it out of the tub.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 10:22:00 PM More reviews by manimau3685

Use this in my face packs. Use it every 2 days for my hair as a deep conditioner before I wash them. Works great as a body moisturizer. It has such a good smell and works amazing. I use it in my turmeric mask so that it doesn't stain!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2012 10:01:00 PM More reviews by Pandora7

I love EVCO...in my hair, my porridge, my smoothies...baking...curries. I use Nutiva and love it. For skin, I use this on dry hands to moisturize, or mix equal parts EVCO and sugar (about 1tsp each) and rub it around in my palms and hands for a minute before rinsing in warm water. Makes dry rough hands very silky and soft. I use this as a neck down, after shower moisturizer. I sadly do not tolerate this topically on my face. It left my acne worse than ever, and that took time to clear.

But, other than that, this is a staple in my kitchen and bathroom.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 9:27:00 PM More reviews by JazzySnazzy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my daily staple for skin and hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2012 7:42:00 PM More reviews by BeFineFilipina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Finally jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon after hearing about its wonderful use as a scalp/hair treatment from this Ayurvedic practicing woman. The smell really surprised me... I expected a Hawaiian Tropics-like coconut smell but instead, it was really light and smelled like shredded coconuts. It absorbed really easily into my hair and didn't leave me greasy after I shampooed (I deep condition with it pre-poo but also may put a bit on as a balm after). If it's >74 degrees or so, it stays solid but melts easily between my hands. It also has a cooling sensation to it when I rub it into my scalp.

Because I have oily skin I don't use this on my face at all. If I slab on a ton of oil in my hair as a deep conditioner, I tie it up because the oil on the strands around my face will break me out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2012 8:50:00 PM More reviews by irishgrant

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I discovered raw organic coconut oil when my dog picked up a minor topical fungal infection and shared it with me. I read that coconut oil used topically has anti-fungal properties, so I decided to give it a go when Rx topical treatments weren't working as well as I'd hoped. I don't know if my own immune system kicked in, or if the coconut oil did the trick, but after only a week using coconut oil topically twice a day, the fungus wasn't among us any longer :) I continue to use it because it makes my skin velvety soft. As a pre-shampoo treatment once a week, it's inexpensive and effective against frizz. For cooking, I mix a little with olive oil, and since it's solid to 76 degrees F, I remove it from the jar with a clean spoon. Any tiny amount of coconut oil left on the spoon discreetly finds its way to my neck before the spoon goes in the sink. I wonder how many other ways this lovely oil can be used!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2012 7:49:00 PM More reviews by MissLivia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My review is for Garden of Wisdom's Virgin Coconut Oil. Apparently, virgin coconut oil is NOT comedogenic; refined or fractionated coconut oil IS. I can attest to this because the virgin coconut oil im using has NOT broken me out, in fact, it has actually helped reduce some bumps on my face (note that my skin is definately not acne prone, just a few occasional bumps, so YMMV if you have acne prone/oily skin.) I also like using VCO on my hair as a deep conditioner...works just as well as the olive oil i was using. I was hoping that the coconut oil would help with the coldsore i developed (researched that VCO has anti-viral properties), but it didn't seem to have a massive effect (certainly didnt hurt though). perhaps i didnt use it early enough...? all in all, im really liking coconut oil. i will definately continue to use it!