November 24, 2014 | 1763 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED Basics

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2013 5:31:00 PM More reviews by lilacmess

I'm hoping I can return this. I'm pale and cool-toned, and the colors wash me out. I was thinking I'd keep it to use Crave as a liner and Venus for highlighting, but Crave doesn't stay in place AT ALL. This is gross, but I have to check my eyes for black goop all day long because Crave just gravitates to my tear duct or something. Venus isn't as good as the other highlighters I have, so I really don't like any of the shadows.
Also, I haven't closed the lid all the way since I first opened it. It was so hard to open the first time that I decided I didn't want to close it and risk injury trying to open it again.
I was really excited about this, and it was a bit of a splurge for me. Obviously, it was a letdown.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 8:27:00 AM More reviews by sarahheartsmakeup

i love urban decay formula for eyeshadow and fell in love with the look of naked palettes. The only issue is i hate glittery shadows and they were full of them! So when i saw this palette with a bunch of mattes i had to get it. This is a great palette for looks you can wear through the day and work! If you go from work to go out you can make it dramatic.I have fairly decent length nails and THE ONLY THING IS ITS SO HARD TO OPEN.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2013 11:16:00 AM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am an UD shadow lover and own many palettes by them. I find that this palette works best when used with Naked 1 or 2 and my Vice Palette. I have the Naked 2 because I am cool toned and am in love with my Vice. I find that this little gem compliments those palettes because it gives you more matte colors to work with.

I find for me I use WOS and a bending and upper brow bone color with my N2 palette I use Naked 2,Venus,Faint, and crave with my N2 and Vice. I can do a full eye look with this palette alone but for me I find it best to be used with my other palettes. Some may find that tedious or just want the 6 to work together on it's own and you can but having other palettes to work with really makes this little baby awesome in my book.

As usual UD does not disappoint with their quality shadows they are so buttery and blend so well. Can be used wet or dry and last forever on your eyes better with primer I think.I really like this palette and am stoked to add it to my collection. If your a palette lover or just love UD shadows this will not let you down. I also think the price was reasonable for 6 colors and the quality is amazing. I do recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2013 6:57:00 PM More reviews by joyonicity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is the first Urban Decay palette of my own, although I sometimes use my roommate's vice and naked 2. I couldn't resist picking it up today when I went into Sephora looking for a contouring palette - the textures are smooth and almost creamy, despite being powders. I use faint (milk chocolate brown) for my brows and naked 2 (taupe) for contouring my nose. PSA: use a cool matte color to contour! The natural shadows on our faces are not warm or shimmery. Shimmer in your highlight color is fine since you want it to catch the light, but having sparkly brown hollows in your cheeks looks pretty fake. Crave (black) is great as eyeliner when you wet an angled eyeliner brush to apply it, but I'm too lazy for that. As stated by other reviewers, all the colors are matte except venus (pearly/shimmery beige), which is a great highlighter color as it's luminous without being sparkly. All colors are very pigmented and beautiful. I couldn't justify spending the money on the naked or naked 2 palette because I knew I wouldn't use all the colors, but this size is perfect for me, as well as very portable.

Complaints: The two lighter matte colors, Foxy and Wall of Shame, are too similar. I'm already not a huge fan of light eyeshadows so I can tell I won't be using either much. I would prefer if one of them was a little different in color or finish to set them apart.

Despite this I will definitely repurchase if I ever run out. I still can't get over the colors being perfect for contouring my face, since it's supposed to be an eyeshadow palette.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2013 2:33:00 PM More reviews by pinkchopstix13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I absolutely adore this little palette! I have Naked 1&2 and am a real UD fanatic so it was a given that I would pick up this little gem. 5 out of the 6 shades are matte; the only one that is a shimmery/pearlish shade is Venus. I think all of the matte shades make it a nice complement to the larger Naked palettes which are predominately shimmery shades. These shadows are soft, buttery and incredibly blendable. I have been playing with this palette all week and have received tons of compliments. I love each color but the real stand-outs to me are Venus, Naked 2 and Faint. Gorgeous!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/9/2013 6:11:00 PM More reviews by GuysCallMeShawna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I love Naked 1&2 equally. This palette was a huge disappointment.

I was at ULTA today and checked it out. I already have Foxy in Naked 2 along with a back up single;and WOS came with my six palette. WOS pink tones don't show up on my NC10 skin so It doesn't look much different than Foxy which seems more opaque on me.

The standouts in this palette I will buy when they become singles are Naked 2 and Venus. They are buttery soft goodness. Venus is a beautiful creamy white sheen(why can't we have more sheens?) and naked 2 is a matte greige-taupe. the two darkest colors in the palette had the texture of ashes. Both very sooty looking and feeling.

I don't want the palette. It's about the size of a cell phone but, I don't want the added bulk in my M/U bag just for two colors. Oh, I had a hard time opening the palette

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2013 9:18:00 PM More reviews by AntiqueGlitter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Like its sisters, Naked and Naked 2, Naked Basics is a promising palette. It includes 6 eyeshadows, 5 of which are matte. The texture is very smooth and finely-milled. It applies evenly and smoothly with good pigmentation, and it lasts pretty long by itself, but the wear time isn't the best. To achieve that, you need to wear UDPP underneath.
Below, I listed all the shades with their color description and pigmentation level in addition to comparisons to the other Naked palettes and personal notes, when applicable.
From left to right:
-Venus: Satin cream (excellent pigmentation) (similar but more yellow than Naked's Virgin and Naked 2's Bootycall)
-Foxy: Matte warm ivory (excellent pigmentation) (included in Naked 2)
-W.O.S (Walk of Shame): Matte neutral ivory (excellent pigmentation) (included in UD empty eyeshadow palettes)
-Naked 2: Matte light taupe (excellent pigmentation) (similar but more cool than Naked's Naked) (I can use this to contour my face)
-Faint: Matte cool-toned medium brown (excellent pigmentation) (similar to Naked's Buck)
-Crave: Black with brown undertones (excellent pigmentation) (incredibly similar to Naked 2's Blackout--the two are pretty much indistinguishable--except Blackout is a true black, with gray undertones)
Although there's nothing wrong with the formulation and quality of these shades, it's the COLORS that made me lower the rating. The shade selection is very disappointing. Although they look totally different in the pan, Foxy and W.O.S look far too similar on my NC35 skintone--they're indistinguishable! Also, since my skintone isn't that fair to begin with, this palette basically comes with 3 highlight shades, all of which I already have similar shades in my MAC eyeshadow collection and Naked palettes, and 3 other very UN-unique shades (all of which I already own similar shades, again).
Also, I also lowered the rating because of its size. This palette is tiny! It fits in the palm of my hand, and it's barely larger than an iPhone (half the size of a Naked palette)! C'mon, Urban Decay--I know you're expensive, but for this size, $27 is kind of overpriced!
I only recommend this palette if you frequently wear matte eyeshadows and if you don't own the Naked or Naked 2 palette (or other matte eyeshadows).
Otherwise, it's not worth it, in my opinion.
Would I repurchase? No.

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2013 8:55:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't know why I always expect matte shadows to be dry and hard and chalky... it's some strange misconception on my part. Doesn't matter the brand, I always think I'm going to be scraping into it with a brush. Random. Anyway, I love this little palette. The shadows are really soft and powdery, easy to apply, and the pigmentation is good. It's a nice range of wear-anytime mattes in mostly neutral colors. I have trouble with a lot of browns and purportedly "neutral" crease shades because I'm cool toned, which equals tired and dingy on my skin. These work well on me and I like that the darker shades double as eyeliner.

None of the shades seem to overpower my pale skin and there's a lot of versatility here, both on it's own and paired with outside shadows. Great for travel, nice sleek and secure packaging. I liked the other UD Naked palettes quite a bit but this one's so simple and basic and appealing that I can't see anyone going wrong with it, whether you have a huge stash or not. I rarely wear solely matte shadows but I've been having fun using this and going for an entirely matte look on my eyes.

I hope they keep putting more palettes like this out!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2013 8:02:00 PM More reviews by missessaintclaire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this!
My only complaint is that this is really hard to open if you have very short nails! I have really small nail beds and they're currently super weak from having acrylics on for 4 months so I have to get my husband to open it for me.
But otherwise this is fantastic. I live in New Zealand so I purchase all of my UD from beautybay.com, its fairly well priced compared to other high end make up we have in NZ and it worked out to be about half the price of the naked an naked2 palettes.
As everyone knows UD eyeshadows are GREAT quaility, all these colours work very very well with my NW15 complexion.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by simpledom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just received my Naked basics and I love it. It's all matte compared to the other two Nakes palettes. Very pigmented. I found that's a little bit pricey but if you buy dupes individually you will spend more money instead of just the one palette. That is a definitely must have!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No