September 1, 2014 | 2194 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED Basics

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2012 7:54:00 PM More reviews by adriennewines

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was not impressed by this palette. The colors look very pretty and natural. But, the texture was not great. So I didn't feel it was worth the $27. I've heard so much about Urban Decay eyeshadows, how they stay on a long time and have a great texture, but I didn't find this to be true with this palette.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by mecepeda

I should start this review by saying that I absolutely love the original Naked palette, didn't care for Naked 2 (too cool for my NC 35/40+ coloring), and have a strong preference for matte or light shimmer shadows in general. While I was a bit reluctant to give this palette a try (how many versions of the original Naked can Urban Decay concoct, after all?), I admit that I really do like this product. I tested it out yesterday by creating a pretty basic daytime look: Naked 2 on the lid, Faint in the crease, the (surprisingly lovely) demi-matte Venus as a highlighter on the brow bone, and a little bit more Faint to line the lower lashes. I was impressed not only with the user-friendly color range but the blendability of the shadows, and find that this palette lends itself to everything from a "no-makeup" look to a major smokey eye. I was prepared to send this one back if I didn't love it a solid 100%, but it's with me for good. The size and composition of this palette definitely lends itself to travel and/or everyday use, and the price is very fair, given its versatility and quality.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2012 2:41:00 PM More reviews by adeleseddie

i love this instead of spending 100 dollars all together on the naked pallets i get a smaller one for less money with the basics it's pigmented and are great colors plus the packaging s great

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2012 2:38:00 PM More reviews by Mellymoomar

Loving this at the moment! I love all of the Naked palettes, while this is not my favourite palette, it is definitely worth buying. It does what it says on the packaging, its six basic matte shadows that are very nice to use alone or as a base for something else. I love venus as a highlight, it has taken over virgin & booty call as my new favourite. I think the only negative I would throw in is that it is a little expensive for what it is (it is very cute and tiny) but if you love matte looks or just taking a break from constant smokey looks this palette is definitely what you want.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2012 8:18:00 AM More reviews by bassetmomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I guess I am in the minority when I say that I am disappointed with this palette. I am totally enamored of my Naked 1 and 2 Palettes. What impresses me most about these, besides the dazzling array of colors, is the rich texture of the shadows. I was a little surprised at the texture of shadows in the Naked Basic Palette which I would describe as dry and streaky in application. To me, the quality is no better than some poor offerings at the drugstore ( I'm thinking of Revlon - despise their dried out powders). If you are looking for a very nice, matte collection of neutral eye shadows, Physician's Formula offers a lovely quad - "Canyon Classics."

14 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2012 1:23:00 AM More reviews by msdi2u

I like this palette- I think it is a fantastic little palette to own, especially if you are interested in nude and matte eye colors. The only color I am not that impressed with in this palette is Venus, and that is only because it is shimmery. I guess Venus would make a great brow highlighter, but since I usually skip that step, that makes Venus insignificant to me. My favorites in this palette are WOS & Naked 2, followed by Faint & Crave. I like to use WOS on the lid, Naked 2 as a blender in the crease and up above, and Faint in the deep crease and outer corners of my lids. Crave (jet black) makes a great liner on my upper lash line. First, I usually line with Bobbi Brown's Longwear eye pencil in Jet, then take my MAC 266 and press Crave down over the line to blend it out and give it extra staying power. It makes the liner look a rich, deep, beautiful shade of black! I do get some fallout from Crave, but nothing that I can't quickly wipe away with a cotton swab and my Estee Lauder Gentle Eye makeup remover. I also love how these shadows last without creasing all day and into the night. I do use an eye primer before applying the eyeshadows, which could increase the staying power. Overall, I am NOT sorry I bought this palette, and I get more use out of this one than the original Urban Decay Naked Palette. (I never invested in the 2nd Naked Palette.) I know everyone has different needs depending on age and skin color, and this palette might not impress or suit everyone... but it DOES impress and suit me. =0) I LOVE it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2012 10:07:00 PM More reviews by KiahSherice

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Okay so basically i bought this palette after receiving both naked palettes and i really like it ALOT. all of the colors go on so smoothly. it's a great addition to the first 2 naked palettes. i use it for blending out other colors and highlights. i love the fact that venus is a "demi-matte" because i like a more shimmery highlight. and if you think about it, it's not expensive at all. 6 full sized UD shadows for $27?? that's a steal! especially if 1 ud shadow is 18 dollars by itself! i would definitely recommend this product. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 7:24:00 AM More reviews by 1017

UPDATE: This has quickly become the only thing I reach for on a daily basis. It is just so easy & by far the Naked palette that I use the most (& possibly the only one I may NEED to buy again).

ORIGINAL POST: Like all Naked palettes, if you have nothing, this is a great place to start. For those of us that have tons, this is a nice thing to add to our collection. But I really do appreciate the small, sleek, affordable, collection of basic mattes. I can put this and my BE 8 pan The Finer Things Palette easily in my makeup up bag and have a complete variety of eye makeup while traveling. You can't ask for more from an eye shadow palette. :)

FYI - I very much prefer this to the PF Canyon Classics matte quad. Those colors just muddied together on me, I find the Basics palette actually does something and you can see the benefit of each shade on the eye instead of turning to a muddied blur like the PF did on me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 12:54:00 AM More reviews by ccope4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette {#3 of the Naked Series}.

Overall, reviewers seem to feel it's colors enhance fairer skin. On darker skin-tones the lighter colors can look chalky. I love this palette. I am a C4, and these mattes are perfect to make eyes look vibrant, healthy and natural. I have so many shimmer and glimmer eyeshadows, I am truly pleased to have this toned down palette.

From the Urban Decay box:
"Begin any look with these six essential shadows. This palette of must-own shades (with four exclusives) features both mattes and satins for lids, liner and crease."

$27 at Ulta and Sephora. And hooray - no animal testing!

I recommend an eyeshadow primer beforehand. Next, lighter shades layered until desired look is achieved. A nice eye primer at Target is E.L.F. for $3. Another at Ulta for about $10 is the Stila Prime Pot.

See more pics, video and swatches on different skintones at my site - truecolorworld.

Texture is true Urban Decay: light, silky, luxurious to the touch. 6 Shades - Venus, Foxy, Walk of Shame, Naked 2, Faint, and Crave. The first 3 are very light, nude tones; the remaining 3 descend from a beigy taupe to a dark, midnight brown. Yes, the compact is small, but does have a full mirror. About the size of an iPhone. Some say too small, I say just right. I would >>recommend this palette<< to all my makeup loving friends.

If you have never purchased NAKED before and can only choose one, go with NAKED1 if you are warm-toned or have a richer skin tone, and go with NAKED2 if you are cool-toned and/or have very fair skin. Even if you are fair skinned with a warm skintone, NAKED2 has shades to cover. Go with NAKED3(Matte) if you are fairer and warm or cool-toned and don't want too much shimmer, or to compliment either of the first two palettes.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 10:55:00 PM More reviews by Unicornbot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is fantastic! I'm a huge fan of matte eye shadow and neutral makeup shades in general. Shimmer can just get old fast, and I find myself pulled more towards clean velvety eye looks these days (I'm 26 for the record) there's a classiness about matte shades and its become very hard to find good matte eyeshadows. MAC has I'd say the most range of matte but they kinda suck as far as pigment. These matte shades are divine. Creamy highly pigmented perfect everyday nude brown shades in cooler tones.

first shade- (Venus) is a light shimmery frosted cream
2nd shade- (foxy) is a yellow toned light matte cream
3rd shade- (wos) is a pale matte cream with pink undertones
4th shade- (naked 2) is my HG neutral, a light brown cool matte
5th shade- (faint) is a medium matte taupe brown
6th shade- (crave) is a rich matte black that is perfect for going over your eyeliner with to set it

This is a must have!