August 30, 2014 | 1778 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - NARS - Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2012 11:25:00 AM More reviews by izzybella

This is what I wanted Sheer Glow foundation to look like on me! I've been using a sample for the last week and I like this a lot. It has a light, easy to apply consistency and doesn't feel too heavy or greasy on the skin. It evens out my skin tone with just enough coverage, but isn't cakey and doesn't break apart on the skin by the end of the day like both Nars "sheer" foundations did - it just looks like your skin. That said, if you have lots of scars or want something with medium coverage, this is probably not the product for you - I find that sometimes this will not cover redness, and I definitely need a concealer to cover up blemishes and acne scars. However, I can see myself wearing this on a daily basis because it's a no-brainer to apply, plus it contains SPF30. It does have a light citrus scent but it doesn't bother me. For reference, I have combo skin and wear this in Alaska. My other color matches are NARS Punjab, MAC nc30, Shiseido O20, BE 1.2/2.0 light.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2012 3:15:00 PM More reviews by machrina

Love love love!! Amazing stuff! I'm NC20-25 and i bought Alaska, in sheer glow i wear santa fe. (alaska is a bit lighter). It gives the most amazing glow. The coverage is light but not as most tinted moisturizers are. On top of it i wear laura mercier mineral loose powder and the result is flawless skin. Definitely i will repurchase. Staying power is great also.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2012 4:36:00 AM More reviews by Bluebear74

The formula is fantastic. It's quite moisturizing, yet non-greasy, and feels soothing on my skin. It provides more coverage than other tinted moisturizers I've tried (which is a good thing) and lasts throughout the day. I use it alone if I'm going for a natural no makeup look. If I want some more coverage, then I just add some powder on top (I use Cargo Blu-Ray pressed powder)

However, I took off one lippie because the color selection is poor for the light-skinned. Out of 9 colors available, 7 are medium to dark. I'm a MAC C4/NC35 and use Punjab in Nars sheer glow foundation - I'm not what one would consider pale. I was initially matched to and purchased the third lightest - St. Moritz, which ended up a shade too dark and orangey on me. The second lightest, Alaska, is too light. There's a huge jump between the two shades. I had to go back to purchase Alaska, and I mix the two shades for a good match. I find this very inconvenient. Nars, please make more light shades.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2012 11:52:00 AM More reviews by nicojones

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I simply love this product: the finish it gives makes it different e.g. from LM TM - simply dewy/glowy as if yo were 10 years younger...:-)) While Laura Mercier gives a flawless but matte finish, this one is different yet making your skin looking flawless. It stayed on for about 6 hours (then I removed it, so it might stay longer), it perfectly evens out your skin tone while looking totally natural - Im still a no-makeup-girl so I appreciate that the consistency is light and weightless once you applied it. Im a NC20/Nars Sheer Glow Deauville/MUFE 117 and Finland is a perfect color match for me, the color is in between Porcelain (light1) and Nude (light2) concerning Laura Mercier TM. Overall I can only rave so far. You have to try it if you like TM in general.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2012 10:51:00 PM More reviews by evosmalls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is amazing! I didn't have high hopes for a tinted moisturizer but I was sick of trying to find a foundation. My skin isn't horrible. I have the occasional pimple and sometimes with school I'll have undereye circles. I went ahead and paid the $42 to give it a shot. I was extremely impressed with the texture and coverage. It evened out my skin tone and made my face looked simply flawless and glowy. I couldn't get over how my face looked. I got compliments all day. Love this product!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2012 10:33:00 PM More reviews by fashion10

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

GORGEOUS, pure radiance, light weight. Great variation of colors. I also love the MAC face and body so I would switch up between the two. Nars did a great job. For reference I am NC45. I bought this in Malaga perfect shade for me. Seychelles was too dark for me.
UPDATE: Had a few break outs around the time I started using this, I didn't want to take the chance so I returned it. Will continue using my MAC face and body.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2012 4:18:00 PM More reviews by MARmaladeJay

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 Sunscreen PA+++
Net WT. 1.9 Oz. 50 mL
Price: $42 (USD)

My shade: St. Moritz, Medium 1 (Sheer Glow/Matte: Barcelona, MAC: NC40, Shiseido: B60)
My skin type: oily, acne-prone

Ingredients:
Active ingredients: Octinoxate 7.4%, Titanium Dioxide 6.1%

Inactive ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Propanediol, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Glycerin, Nylon-12, Cyclomethicone, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Aluminum Hydorxide, Diphenylsiloxy Phenyl Trimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Polymethylsilsesquioxano, Fragrance, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Trisodium EDTA, Aluminum Distearate, Talc, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Polysilicone-2, Vibrio Alginolyticus Ferment Filtrate, Tocopherol, Alteromonas Ferment Filtrate, Sea Salt, Hydogen Dimethicone, BHT, Algae Extract, Sodium Metabisulfite, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Potassium Sorbate, [+/- (May contain): Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides].

NARS claims:
This lightweight oil-free tinted moisturizer immediately helps thirsty skin feel hydrated. It has been proven to help reduce the appearance of discoloration and dark spots caused by hyperpigmentation for a clearer and brighter complexion in just 4 weeks. It obscures the appearance of lines, wrinkles, pores, and other imperfections. SPF 30/PA+++ adds a translucent veil of protection.

Oil-free, Paraben-free, Synthetic-Fragrance-free, Non-comedogenic. Dermatologist tested.

MY REVIEW:
I have been using this for about 10 days. Please keep in mind I am comparing NARS to Bobbi Browns tinted moisturizer, which I used for about 2 months. I wanted to try something new so I went to the NARS counter to purchase Sheer Glow and was introduced to this product (I walked out with both). The Sales Associate first applied Annapurna, which was too yellow for my skin. It left my skin orangey. She then applied St. Moritz, which is one shade lighter and a better match.

I was a bit hesitant using another TM because after using Bobbi Browns TM for 2 months, I noticed my face getting oily shortly after application. So back to the store it went. I skip moisturizer and sunblock while this product allows me to. I enjoy the one-step kind of products.

It has been about 10 days and this is by far one of the better TM that has kept my oil under control. After 4 hours of wear, there is a nice sheen to my skin, definitely not oily looking.

USAGE AND APPLICATION:
After cleansing and toning, I apply my eye cream then follow with NARS Pro-Prime Pore Refining Primer then NARS tinted moisturizer with clean fingers. I prefer applying with my fingers as I do with most of my liquid foundations. I usually spot conceal after applying my liquid foundation, but I skip this step when using TMs. The reason being, is that I like the finish of this TM as it shows my natural skin. My skin has minor blemishes, so it covers just enough to even out my skin tone. I then apply blush and finish my whole look with NARS Loose Powder in Eden.

CONSISTENCY AND COVERAGE:
Its your typical creamy moisturizer, but a bit thicker. But not too thick that it cant spread easily. The coverage is light to medium. I suggest starting off with half a pea size and build if you need more. The first time I applied it, I use double the pea size and it looked way too cakey. Keep in mind, it's buildable. If you want more coverage, spot concealing can be followed after application and before a finishing powder if preferred.

WHAT DO I EXPECT FROM THIS PRODUCT?
I expect this product to give me a more even look as well as the added protection from the sun. In addition, Im looking for oil control, but not a matte finish. This product does exactly what I'm looking for.

OVERALL:
I really like the lightweight feel of this TM. I havent noticed any reduction of my hyperpigmentation. I will continue using this solely for the coverage, finish, and texture. Even if it does not reduce discolorations, Ill still use this. I do like the moisturizing effects of both BB and NARS, I mostly like the oil control better with NARS especially since this will be my spring/summer coverage. I will add a more in depth review later on to see if there have been any improvements.

Its also nice to see a TM that uses PA+++, which is an element in a lot of Japanese sunscreens that adds extra protection. I definitely could see more brands following this method for tinted moisturizers in the near future.

***UPDATE: MARCH 10***
I love it, but haven't seen any changes to my skin. I have minimal scaring left behind form acne so as it claims to lighten and I don't see that. I didn't buy it for that reason anyways, so I'm keeping it.

I was setting it with NARS' Loose Powder in Eden which looked beautiful when first applied, but then I noticed I was getting extremely oily shortly after. Now that I've stopped using both products together I'm less oily. I now set it with Giorgio Armani Micro-fil Loose Powder. That seems to work the best for my skin at controlling oil.

PURCHASE AGAIN?

62 out of 63 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2012 5:00:00 PM More reviews by gconn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I usually don't review products because a) I don't feel too strongly about them and b) it'll get lost in a sea of other reviews.

Well, I feel pretty strongly about this TM.

It's really nice. And by really nice, I mean it's the best TM I've ever used - even better than Laura Mercier, which had been my HG. I'm between NC20-25 with oily, acne-prone skin, and use the shade Alaska. It looks a little dark when swatched on my skin, but blends in to be invisible.

Here's what I like about it:

- Light-medium coverage - enough to cover up any redness in my cheeks and around my nose and detract from some acne scars. This is heavier than the Laura Mercier, but doesn't get cakey. Minimizes my pores, too!

- AWESOME finish - it looks like my skin, but glowing and even. No hint of shimmer, just a natural, healthy glow. It basically looks like you're not wearing any makeup, and just having a 'good skin day.' I hate the obvious look of foundation, so I've always been a TM girl. When the SA put it on me, I got that same giddy rush I got with my first red lipstick.

- Good sun protection - SPF 30 for UVB protection, PA +++ for UVA protection. I like the added UVA protection, especially since most TMs don't have it at the moment. It's more of a BB cream thing, and BB creams tend to break me out and have a greyish cast.

- No breakouts! I've been wearing this for 10 days now, and no sign of any irritation. It does have silicones, so if be wary if your skin doesn't play nice with those.

- Smells nice (natural lemony-scent which fades after application), applies easily (fingers or brush, anything goes!), decent staying time, doesn't oxidize, feels absolutely weightless. This is not a problem product for me. I literally have NO issues working with it, and I really enjoy having one less product to agonize over.

Here's what I don't like:

- The packaging is cute and chic, but I feel like Hercules every time I flip open the cap. I'm worried I'll either tear the flip cap off its hinge or accidentally squeeze out half the bottle while I'm trying to open it. No such disaster yet, though.

- Price. $42 for 1.7 oz is ridiculous, but it's also pretty standard for HE products.

- This doesn't affect me personally, but their shade range needs improvement. Finland, the lightest shade, probably could have worked for me, which means that if you're any lighter than NC15, it'll make you look like an oompa-loompa. I hope Nars figures this out and adds a new shade soon.

I'll definitely be buying this again when I run out.

**EDIT** 2/29/2012

I've been using this for just short of 4 weeks, and so far, so good. No breakouts! I still don't believe a lick about the promo material suggesting that it'll improve your skin, but it certainly doesn't aggravate mine at all, which is more than I can say for most other products.

**EDIT** 3/29/2012

Two months in, I'm still in love with the finish of this TM, though the oil control is really lacking.

I've read some reviews saying that this product causes breakouts and clogs pores. Yes, if you have a problem with silicones, this WILL do awful things to your skin, However, I have sensitive skin that clogs very easily, and don't have any problem with silicones UNLESS I don't wash my face correctly.

It is my personal opinion that regular cleansers don't remove silicone-heavy products effectively, and I choose to use an oil cleanser before my regular cleanser to assure all traces of makeup are removed. I also do my best to remove my makeup as soon as I get home, to prevent "suffocating" my face. A good foundation product will meld with your skin, which also (unfortunately) means that it's hard to remove. Before you completely exclude all silicones from your makeup, consider changing your removal process a little.

51 out of 53 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2012 2:49:00 PM More reviews by coffeedogsmakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've waited awhile to review this product because I wanted to make sure my feelings are accurate and not just side effects of new-product-excitement. I am super porcelain pale and lean to a cooler undertone. I purchased the lightest shade, Finland. If Finland were any darker, or any more yellow, I would have to return it and continue looking for something else. I have asked my husband (repeatedly and to the point of annoyance) if this tinted moisturizer shade looks - in any way - too dark, yellow, or generally bad and he has assured me that it does not. I have to take off a Lippie because I think some of the truly pale may have a problem with Finland not being light enough. (this is harsh and I hate to do it, because I think this is a great product...I am indeed so ghostly that I almost get the impression that this TM may make me look slightly healthy and almost alive) I don't get any demarcation or mask-face. I'm also keeping in mind that it's currently February and I could scare the grey right out of the Crypt Keeper about now.

I'm *crazy* about the finish. Not too dewey/greaseball but perfectly luminious. It feels like nothing on the skin, and stays looking nice until I wash my face at night. It doesn't seperate on the skin or dry my face out during the day. (I do use an additional moisturizer undeneath because I have really dry skin.)
There is a slight lemon fragrance (not Pledge... more like lemonade) but it dissapates quickly and I haven't found it irritating.
But almost best of all: No Silica! Yay. Silica gives me cystic acne and is in almost every foundation or tinted moisturizer out there. While this Nars TM is slightly 'cone-heavy, I am not breaking out from it. (ah ha! - see edited area below)
If you have the opportunity to at least sample this, I would highly recommend it.

*** Edited***
Oh my goodness, I have spoke/reviewed too soon! I have broken out from this product like a fiend. I currently have 7 (yes, that's right, 7) blemishes, 4 of which are on my forehead. I haven't had a zit on my forehead in years. I haven't broken out like this in probably years either. Being 32, any blemishes I get nowadays are on my chin/jawline, and are pretty much hormonal, so I know it has to be this TM. It's a shame and I'm jealous of everyone who's loving it.
*sigh*

21 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2012 9:12:00 PM More reviews by USCgirlie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: Still really enjoying this tinted moisturizer. No breakouts, good sun protection. A few caveats: those who have fair skintones may not be able to find a color match easily (so definitely swatch before you purchase!), as only Finland can be characterized as a color match for fair skin, and Alaska for light-medium skintones. Also, I find that if I layer on the tinted moisturizer for additional coverage, my skin looks a bit lackluster. It looks best if I apply just one layer of tinted moisturizer rather than putting on more for additional coverage!

Original review:

Being a fan of NARS products, I was extremely excited for the launch of this product, so as soon as it was available at Nordstrom, I rushed to purchase it! I've used it for about two weeks now, and am very pleased with the tinted moisturizer.

-At first, I was a bit concerned about the shade selection for my NC30/NARS Sheer Glow Punjab/Make Up For Ever HD 120 skintone. I knew Finland (the first shade) would be too light, and after swatching St. Moritz (third shade), I realized that shade would be too dark. I was hesitant about Alaska since it is classified as a "Light 2" shade, but my normal foundation shade, Nars Punjab, is classified as "Medium 1." However, Alaska has proven to be a great match for my light-medium yellow-toned skintone.

-The coverage and texture have been excellent for a tinted moisturizer. I've tried a number of tinted moisturizers, including Laura Mercier's and Smashbox's. While I loved the convenience and low-maintenance factors of those tinted moisturizers, I wasn't a fan of their sheer coverage or how after a number of hours, the TM would feel slightly gummy and look shiny on my oily skin. With NARS, the coverage has been just as good as what I'd get with their Sheer Glow Foundation (which, to those who aren't familiar with Sheer Glow, isn't really sheer), but the TM looks more natural (doesn't settle into pores or lines) and feels absolutely fantastic, like second skin! Depending on how much you apply, I would classify the coverage as light-medium, and it can certainly be built to medium without looking unnatural.

-The lasting power of this tinted moisturizer has been impressive too. Besides its lightweight and comfortable texture, its staying power on my oily skin has been excellent. After a long workday, the tinted moisturizer is still intact.

-No breakouts on my acne-prone skin after a few weeks of using this.

I am very happy with this tinted moisturizer and am so glad to have switched from using foundation to this product. Sometimes, my skin will feel heavy after using foundation, and it takes more work -- I have to be careful to fully blend in the foundation. WIth this tinted moisturizer, I love how I only have to use one product (rather than a separate sunscreen and primer), and it feels and looks seamless on the skin. I highly recommend this product!

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No