July 30, 2014 | 1034 users online

Moisturizers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Moisture Sensitive Skin

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2004 7:03:00 PM More reviews by cadbury

This moisturiser provides moisture to my skin. It has no unnecessary fragrance, oils, spf etc. I am used to using a matifying moisturiser however, so I do notice that after a few hours my forehead is more shiny than usual. This moisturiser does not claim to matify, however. It is a very basic moisturiser that does its job.
EDIT - after 1-2 bottles I switched to Neutrogena's Combination Oil-free moisture, as the sensitive seemed to break me out

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2004 3:21:00 AM More reviews by peachykeen01

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this at Target because I was just looking for a cheap moisturizer...what a bad idea. It feels like it just sits on top of your skin the whole day. About 1-2 weeks after I started using it I noticed my skin was so dry it was flaking off, so I stopped using it. Switched to Chanel Hydramax Cream and my skin is now back to normal.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2004 6:23:00 PM More reviews by Andreangel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This moisturizer is not oil free! I have acne prone Tzone, usually not on the cheeks and this broke me out. Sadly I didn't read MUA before buying or using it.

If you have dry skin, its good and light and feels refreshing.

If you are combo or oily acne prone, stay away from the false advertising.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2004 8:18:00 PM More reviews by Hellykitto

I have to correct the below review, or at least, clarify it. On the Sage list, Petrolatum is neither comedogenic or irritating. It got a zero on both.

And now for the rest of the story.

I did a study today at Ulta, using the Sage list, of various cleansers and moisturizers which are gentle and non-comedo. Of what I found, this is one of the most suitable products to use. It does have a couple of 'boogers' in it according to this list, but they are further than halfway down on the ingredient list. Actually, I found that according to that list, almost all products have at least some comedo or irritating products.

I just put this on after cleansing, and it did sink right in. I totally do not feel greasy at all. Now that may change in a few hours. I'll be back to update this in about a week. :-)

rated 2 of 5 on 9/1/2004 8:49:00 PM More reviews by oreocookie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Even though this is supposed to be for sensitive skin, I found that it stung a little on application. It also left my face shiny, and it made me break out. I feel like a broken record here, recounting all my experiences with Neutrogena products breaking me out! I will be staying away from Neutrogena products, at least the ones that go on my face.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2004 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Ecstacez

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My Mother bought me this moisturizer after I was having a horrible year with acne. My skin is combination/oily, and this left it incredibly oily. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the culprit behind the massive amounts of zits I kept getting. It never seemed to sink into my skin. Oil-free..what a joke.

If you have sensitive skin, STAY AWAY FROM NEUTROGENA PRODUCTS! They have some of the HARSHEST ingredients. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 6/14/2004 6:31:00 PM More reviews by Wildirishrose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I needed a moisturizer to use at night, as a break from the shimmery and spf 15 lotions I usually use during the day. The price is right, but that's all I'd say in favor of it. My skin isn't that sensitive normally, and even though it is quite dry it can get oily with the wrong lotion, so I figured this is perfect. Wrong! After a few days of use, my skin looks far worse than it did when I was a teenager. I'm 24! I shouldn't be getting breakouts! I thought it was just me, then I read the reviews here and saw that I'm not the only one. I should have taken it as a sign that it made my eyes burn and water if it got within 3 inches of 'em! I keep trying Neutrogena stuff, never with good results, and I guess it's time I gave up. Well, at least I have a scapegoat for my bad skin. I can stop blaming myself...

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2004 10:13:00 AM More reviews by Lynnl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is one of the few products I have repurchased. It doesn't break me out and isn't at all heavy. I LOVE this stuff.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/12/2004 1:23:00 PM More reviews by Sleeky

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Neutrogena is lying when they say this is oil free, because the 5th ingredient is petrolatum, which is what vasoline is made of. Neutrogena representatives told me that they were 'allowed' to say it was "oil-free" because "at room temperature", petrolatum is a solid, so *technically* not an oil. Your skin doesn't know the difference. It feels like vasoline sitting on your skin.
The 3rd ingredient, octyl palmitate, has a Sage rating of 4 (on a scale of 1-5) toward comedogenicity (acne-causing likelihood). There are a number of other ingredients in the product that are as bad and worse for causing acne, and one, cetyl alcohol is both acnegenic and irritating to your skin, which explains why some reviewers are getting red skin irritations and stinging eyes.
This product used to be called simply "Moisture", not "Oil-Free Moisture", and that is a more honest discription of Neutrogena's product.
It feels greasy on my skin, smells chemically, looks shiny, stings around my eyes, seems to cause zits.
Onward in the search for a truly "oil-free" moisturizer!!!
Surely wouldn't buy it again.

23 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/10/2004 11:04:00 PM More reviews by eeeee

I have very acne prone, oily skin with some dry areas and thought I might give this a try since it's for sensitive skin and thought it might not irritate my skin and cause a breakout. I've had bad experiences w others(oil of olay caused breakouts, and Neut.'s combo. moisturizer didn't moisturize my dry areas well enough and others).. I just bought this and so far I think it does a very well job of moisturizing (I only apply to dry areas not all over). It's lightweight and of course, fragance-free, I just hope I won't breakout from this but will update if I do.
UPDATE: I'm not 100% sure but, I got a couple of pimples that MAY be attributed to this but I'm in a phase right now where I'm consistently breaking out in certain areas of my face. Will update again though.
UPDATE: I decided to return this b/c I really do think this gave me a few pimples and even if it didn't I don't want to spend $13 on a product I'm afraid of putting on my face.