October 25, 2014 | 1638 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2009 12:17:00 AM More reviews by RtiQlitQT

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use Tretinoin 0.050% Cream for my anti-acne, anti-aging skin care regimen and it has worked wonders. Use of this and Stridex 2% Salicylic Acid Alcohol Free Pads has given me my first clear complexion since I was 14. Also, this retinoid has greatly improved my skin's texture and has significantly reduced wrinkles.

IMPORTANT: Retinoids should ONLY be used at night and in conjunction with the use of a high-protection sunscreen during the day.

I use it straight and unbuffered (full concentration, unmixed, undiluted) on the start of any blemishes to quickly remove them, and I use a pea-sized amount buffered with a pea-sized amount of Eucerin Q10 Anti-Wrinkle Sensitive Skin Creme every two to three days.

When I first began using this, I used it unbuffered and experienced a lot of peeling. Just buffering it and using it only every two or three days has solved the excessive peeling problem for me.

This is holy grail stuff for me and I will never be without it!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2009 12:12:00 AM More reviews by Genean

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Run from this s@%t if you have dry skin.I got this product from my doctor and it destroyed my skin.I didn't have one wrinkle until i started using it.It made my skin very dry and now i have fine lines around my mouth.My older sisters don't even have lines around their mouths.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2009 5:46:00 PM More reviews by claireknowles

I think Retin-A is the only topical product that really improves the texture and appearance of your skin outside of IPL or other laser treatments. I've asked all the dermatologists and laser nurses I know about Obagi, etc., and they all say don't waste your money.

I don't use Retin-A for acne, but for wrinkles and improving my skin texture. I have to mix full strength Retin-A and Renova with moisturizer, but it still works great in my opinion for reducing redness, scarring, age spots, dull skin, etc., by increasing cellular turnover. I've used it for a decade and also done IPL, which is another really helpful treatment for sundamage.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2009 9:48:00 AM More reviews by fancyxamy

ive already written a review for retin-a micro .04%, but i wanted to update after switching to the .025% gel. after using both for a long time, i think the key to success with retin-a is getting the right strength in the right vehicle (cream, gel etc.) to suit your skin. micro irritated my skin to no end, using it was a constant battle against dryness, flakiness and bad, damaged skin in general.

after moving down to the regular gel, i can honestly say that i love this stuff. i wash my face every night with a non-drying cleanser and wait a bit, usually about 15 minutes. i apply a dot of retin-a to each area of my face. since it is alcohol based there is a slight sting initially, but once its completely blended in, its fine. i use it about 3 times a week and use benzoyl peroxide on the alternating nights and doing this, my breakouts have been few and far between and i have not had a problem with excessive dryness/tightness, even in the middle of winter.

my advice to potential users: dont use the strongest percentage available cause you want dramatic results! i know its tempting but i promise you, youll get results with the lower strengths too and avoid all the irritation.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2009 9:26:00 AM More reviews by birdgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is for the generic version of Retin-A 0.1% gel. I am slllloooowllly getting used to this on my face, but the purpose of this review is to share how it seems to have cured (yes, cured) my keratosis pilaris(KP) on my arms & thighs.

I had been Rx'd comboes of Retin-A 0.05% cream along with Lachydrin 12% lotion (cream at night, lotion during the day), and not only did it not work, but it sucked to use (Lachyrdin lotions are sticky & smell like ammonia).

On a whim, I tried this 0.1% gel on my arms & legs. I applied it every night for 3 nights (big mistake) & ended up with peeling red skin that hurt. Of course I stopped the gel to let things heal. When things got back to normal, I noticed that the bumps were much improved. I applied the gel again, this time only twice a week. After about 3 weeks, I was shocked to see that my bumps were completely gone (truly gone, not just diminished waiting to pop back up), and that I now only need to apply the gel about once every 7-10 days. On the off days I can indulge in all the girly lotions etc. that I could never use because they didn't do squat for me.

I hope this helps someone with their battle with this rotten condition!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2009 7:46:00 PM More reviews by cosmeticallyinclined

I love this product. Since I had my daughter about 7 years ago, my hormones went a little nuts. I never had acne pre-birth, but after this I would have 4-6 stubborn inflammatory whitehead pustules on my chin at any given time. Since using this nightly (about 6 months) I never have them anymore. I do have to gently exfoliate my chin with a wet washrag to keep the flakies away, but that is a MINOR inconvenience!!! I only wish they would formulate it so that it isn't so drying---but maybe that is why it does it's job...????

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2009 7:41:00 PM More reviews by gildedangel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was perscribed this stuff for my severe acne when I first began to go see the dermatologist when I was about 14. I started at the mildest one and within a year I was on the strongest one. I have tried every level of Retin A and none of them worked for me; in fact the strongest one made my acne worse. I apparently have the most stubborn acne on the planet. Note that I eventually went on to very strong antibiotics that had no effect on my skin, so the vast majority of people do not have acne like me. I am still young so I don't know how it works as a wrinkle cream. I don't recommend it for those of you who are using it as an acne treatment who have very strong acne. If you get to the 4th or fifth level of Retin A and it is still not working for your acne, you are going to have to move on to stronger medications. I realize that this review will not help most people but I hope that it may help someone. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2009 9:27:00 AM More reviews by querand

Concentration: 0.025%
Type: Cream
Brand: Tretinoin (Galderma)

This is my one and only holy grail for skincare. With this, I can do without facials, expensive makeup, expensive skincare. After a month of Retin-A, I can solemnly and very sadly admit that all that I have spent on luxury skincare and makeup has never matched up to this, and probably never will. I discovered this by accident online a month ago, and decided to plunge into it after reading rave reviews about it from both customers and dermatologists about it's proven anti-aging potency. I am currently 26, and have noticed fine lines around my eye area that i really want to fix. But what plagues me most since my teenage years was whiteheads and clogged pores. I hate how my pores look up close, and I hate feeling bumps on my face from time to time, especially when i use unsuitable facial products. After just a week of Retin-A my skin has almost completely cleared up - I still have about 10 whiteheads on my face at any one time, but this is already a 90% reduction. My skin is smooth like never before! When I met my facialists they noted such a marked change that they have to prescribe new treatments, and colleagues have been asking me how I got my face to be so smooth. Now I can enjoy moisturisers, lotions, rich eye creams, and even makeup like never before, without having to worry about clogging my pores so much anymore. Blush and powder look ssooo much better on smooth skin too!

So now for the side effects. For me, i'm lucky to just have experienced some sensitivity and dryness (flakies around my lip area, lower cheeks, eyes) in the past weeks, but this is wearing off. I stop applying it once i feel some rawness in my skin, so i'm quite careful with this. On average, this comes up to applying it about 2-3 times a week. Another thing, I can no longer use peeling masks or scrubs as liberally as i did in the past, which is a good thing i guess, since i never really knew when to hold back when i get new whiteheads like every other day. I didn't experience any purging period, which was lucky.

Using this, I continue to be extremely careful with sunscreen - i always use SPF 50 when i go out to work or play, sometimes SPF 32 when i'm just lingering at home doing nothing.

Price-wise, it is dirt-cheap where I am (about 12 USD?). I also get a doctor friend to prescribe it for me. Even if it is slightly pricier in other places, I absolutely recommend giving this a shot because it can easily cost tonnes less than loads of expensive anti-aging or anti-acne skincare. I would recommend starting with a low concentration first to play it safe.

I will update you guys on how I continue to fare with this after a couple more months.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2009 12:52:00 AM More reviews by missbliss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I know I probably have nothing to add that hasn't been said before but still, I felt this miracle product needed one more positive, 5 lipstick review on the list. I got it because a) I smoke, and religious sunscreen use can only get you so far and b) years of mild acne has taken its toll, leaving me with dullish skin, red marks and large looking pores.

I have tried the Retin A Micro in the lowest concentration and am now using the tretinoin gel in .04. The RAM definitely gave me less irritation in the beginning (almost none, in fact) and it did give results. The gel was a different story...very RED, flaky skin for a week. The flakes continued until I added an AHA product for the off nights (I say, don't even think about starting off every night with the gel!!). The gel hasn't improved zits yet but I noticed a difference in the fine lines near my eyes very fast. And for us unfortunate smokers: it is starting to resurface that area near my upper lip, which was starting to look dull and primed for those dreaded smoker's wrinkles.

The way I used it for slightly sensitive skin was: every other night, jojoba oil morning & night with a light washcloth exfoliation, after a week added an AHA toner/scrub. Until adding AHA, I honestly didn't have much luck combating the flakes like some of the other women here have. Extra moisturizer and a hat and the holidays (AKA hiding out with family!) were my only defenses.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2009 6:06:00 PM More reviews by Nokomi

This really helped my skin but the flakeyness was bad. I'm going back to see if I can get a milder strength one. I used this for a couple years and just got tired of dealing with the flakes. It looked like I had a skin issue some mornings (where I was afraid people would stare.) So I had to use a ton of cream and then I had so much on you can't really wear much makeup. It was frustrating. THen in winter the lines around my mouth would crack and bleed. It did work though and if you had bad skin, it might be worth the effort.