September 23, 2014 | 1056 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Great Lash Mascara

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2007 8:32:00 PM More reviews by sugar_heart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used the waterproof version of this product for a good few years and it was my staple mascara until i branched out. I liked this mascara as i only had to put it on once and it stayed put all day and night, no flaking or running. But it was very plain and i mainly used it for work as it wasnt heavy, but for a night out it didnt do a lot for my lashes.

The problem i had was that you had to let it dry before blinking or it would end up all over the place and also the waterproof formula was really hard to remove and using it everyday made my lashes so dry. So now the main 2 i chop and change with are
Barry M - 3 in 1 Mascara ( which is amazing!)
Maybelline Volume express turbo boost
those seem to be my staples just now, Nothing fancy for me they do the job perfect.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/6/2007 8:14:00 PM More reviews by whitney88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I remember that this was my very first Mascara I used when I started wearing makeup. Of course at the time I thought it was the most amazing mascara! I haven't used it in many years until I brought a tube a couple of months ago. It was horrible! It clumped and smudged throughout the day. I think everybody claims this is a great product because a lot of girls use this as their very first mascara and there are a lot of memories attached to it. I will stick to my MAC Zoom Lash.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2007 8:06:00 PM More reviews by VJ21

I don't know why it's rated the top selling mascara. It is really bad I tryed it once just to see if it was any good. It was just junk. It didn't add any length or volume. It clumps a lot and smudges a lot. The only good thing is the black is really black and glossy but thats it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2007 5:57:00 PM More reviews by abcx123

Let me just start off by saying that if this was any other mascara, I would not buy it based on apperances. I know some people love the "iconic" pink and green tube, but to me it looks like cheap mascara from the dollar store. The sticker with "Great Lash" looks like it's coming off-the edges are curled. The inner tube and mouth of the tube is clear
which makes the bottle look messy, fast, espescially since I am constantly wiping excess mascara off on the mouth.

The first time I pulled the wand out of the bottle, my first thought was "Holy crap, this wand is small." The brush is the simplest one I have seen in any mascara and the bristles look like a continous swirl rather than individual bristles. This being said, I've never disliked a mascara wand before this one. Because the wand is extremely tiny, I have to apply more coats than with other mascaras to achieve the same effect.

Based on the horrible reviews on MUA, I expected Great Lash to be a big clumpy mess that didn't lengthen or thicken lashes, but I bought it anyways because I believe it is a mascara that every female should try at least once in their lifetime due to its immense popularity (someone in the USA buys Great Lash every 1.3 seconds or something like that). Besides, it was a two-for-one pack, which translate to roughly $3.50 CAD, so what did I have to lose? I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised, probably due to low expectations. No, this mascara isn't the greatest one out there like magazines and make-up artists suggest, but it's not as terrible for me as many people make it out to be.

Pros-This doesn't clump, even after applying many coats (no spider lashes either). It is the most lengthning mascara I have ever used. It also gives a separated look and holds a curl better than the average mascara. It doesn't flake or smudge as the day goes on. I already have black lashes, but this is one of the glossiet black mascaras I've used (I got this in blackest-black). The formula also glides on smoother than many mascaras.

Cons-I don't know why, but this smudges on my eyelids when I'm applying it if I'm not careful..this has never happened before with any other mascara. Horrible brush, as mentioned before. This doesn't thicken much which is weird because Maybelline's mascara guide above its mascara display claims Great Lash to be primarily a thickening mascara. I have to apply many coats for a thicker effect, but it still looks very natural, which may be a pro for some people. I tried to apply Volume Exact over this, but that only led to spidery lashes. My biggest gripe is what happens after I curl my lashes..I am one of those people who have to curl their lashes after applying mascara, even though I know this is horrible for my lashes. Well, this mascara is extremely sticky, which causes it to clump groups of lashes together (a shame, since it was so anti-clumping before I curl). This can be fixed with my metal lash comb, but because the mascara is so sticky, it's hard to run the comb through my lashes. Bascially, it takes a bit more time and effort to get this to look exceptionally nice. Many people complain this mascara irritates their eyes. The first time I put this on, my lashline felt more "tingly", but this went away after a few seconds and I've never had a problem.

The final effect: very long, separated lashes with that "thick but natural" look. I really like the way it makes my lashes look, even though I prefer thicker lashes. What you can't tell is the effort it takes to get lashes looking like that.

Overall, Great Lash is a so-so mascara. It has really great positive points that are comparably better than other mascaras, but it also has its bad points. If they ever changed the formula of this to make it less sticky, I would definately go out to buy it.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2007 9:35:00 AM More reviews by moonstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

The super low reviews on this product, are in my opinion, mostly because this mascara has been so hyped and touted as the best thing since sliced bread. We have such high expectations, so as a result, any downfall to this mascara is magnified.

This isn't the best mascara I've ever tried, but it isn't the worst, either. I bought 'very black', and found that it coated my lashes very well and defined them without clumping. Almost a 'false eyelash' effect. The one reason why I wouldn't purchase this again is the simple fact that it has no staying power at all, it flakes and smears around my eyes by the end of the day.

I can see why this must have been a revolutionary product 'back in the day', but by today's high tech beauty standards, it's a completely ordinary product.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/5/2007 8:48:00 PM More reviews by Jeennnyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great Lash mascara was one of my first mascaras I tried ( sicne it was cheap). Since I LOVE Dramatic false looking lases this product does nothing to give length or volume. This product is okay if youre looking for the "natural" just there to use mascara. This doesnt hold my curl and straightens my lashes after I curl them. Overall this product pretty sucked and i would not repurchase this ever again.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/5/2007 7:34:00 PM More reviews by surfmidget211

Every magazine always raves about this mascara, so I decided to give it a try. But I was disappointed. It does nothing for my eyelashes. If your looking for just a simple gloss on your lashes, then it might be good. But i have long eyelashes and mostly look for a mascara to define and add fullness, and this mascara does not do this. My eyelashes look almost the same with it on as they do with out it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2007 2:48:00 PM More reviews by Nikki_Lace

This is a great everyday mascara - there are some blue pigments in the formula that bring out the whites of your eyes, making them look brighter and making me look more awake. The formula doesn't clump or flake on me, and it makes my eyelashes look longer since the color deposits along the length of them.

It doesn't volumize or lengthen, but I don't need that. This is a great mascara.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2007 10:55:00 AM More reviews by lauradfromnc

I do generally keep a tube of this around even though I don't really like it--Just because it is cheap and I can keep it in my purse or desk at work for an emergency. So, I put that I would repurchase even though it is not great. I don't want a $17 tube of Lancome in my purse or desk or travel kit because it will dry out and go to waste. I don't feel bad about having this lying around and I don't use it much because I think it takes too long to dry and has caused me to have to repair my other makeup numerous times when I blinked or opened my eye too wide and got it up in my eye shadow. Besides that, it doesn't produce nearly as pretty a set of lashes as Hypnose by Lancome.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/5/2007 1:17:00 AM More reviews by habs1820

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This mascara is supposed to be THE mascara to use from a drugstore but I was totally underwhelmed, if not unhappy. I didn't like the brush and the formula itself seemed to clump and flake. Overall, I didn't like it.

I worked as a model for over ten years and many makeup artists do have this in their case but there are many mascaras out there that I feel are much better. In fact, even Maybelline makes others that I feel are superior such as Full and Soft. I constantly have people ask what mascara I am wearing when I wear that and I prefer to buy that over more expensive ones because it has a nice brush, it does the trick and I don't mind throwing it out every 3 months because it's so cheap.