MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

As a somewhat fickle consumer, there are very few products that I consider to be truly HG worthy for me. Even when I like a product, I'm prone to looking to try something new any time I run out of anything. There's just too much out there not to want to play the field! Therefore, it's a pretty big deal for me to declare any one product as something I can't live without. MAC P+P SPF 50 receives that rare distinction. I've used it every day for the past two years and just love it to pieces, both as potent sun protection and as a foundation primer. The only complaint I have about it is that I wish it was available in a larger size. Sure the $28 per ounce price tag stings when I think about it, especially since using it sparingly undermines its usefulness as a sunblock, but I'd feel it worth the $$ at twice the price. I figure anti-aging treatments and procedures (or heaven forbid, skin cancer treatment) are even more grossly expensive than this and usually not even a third as effective as protecting your skin from years of sun damage before the signs start to appear. Thus, I'm probably saving myself $$ in the long run, or at the very least breaking even, by starting to religiously applying heavy duty sunblock during my 20s.

My fervent ardor for this product stems primarily from two sources. First, though my skin isn't particularly sensitive, my facial skin seems to hate most sunscreens. I can apply whatever I want to to my body and not be particularly bothered by it, but most sun screens make my face sting and flush uncomfortably. Others feel gross and tacky on my skin in a way that drives me crazy. Not so with P+P! It goes on like a thick but nongreasy face cream, spreading evenly and sinking in quickly, and then feels like ot disappears once it's absorbed. After application, I can't feel it at all. No stinging, no itching, no heat, no yucky greasy or stickiness. It absorbs easily and leaves the skin feeling smooth and soft, providing an easy canvas to apply foundation over. I don't think about it being there for the rest of the day. Second, I have trouble adding additional items in my routine. For years I knew I really ought to be wearing sunblock under my foundation, but for various reasons it rarely happened. If something doesn't offer some sort of immediate benefit, I often forget to use it. But because P+P makes my face nice and smooth, rendering it so much easier to apply my liquid foundation on top, this easily dropped into my routine. Prior to its release, I had already been using the original P+P face so it was easy to sub one for the other. Like the original P&P, this one makes my face smoother and I find myself using less foundation as my skin already looks better just after applying the primer and thus there's less I feel compelled to cover and blending over it is easier than blending onto bare skin. It's an essential part of my routine and thus I never forget it! It also does wonders in controlling the oilies. I have combo skin that leans heavily in the oily direction, especially on my nose and cheeks. Wearing P+P doesn't keep me completely matte all day long, but it does a good enough job that I very seldom am compelled to dig out my blot powder as it never lets me divert into full oilsick mode.

Finally, it's long lasting and pretty sweatproof. It's the only sunblock I used on my face during my last two trips to Florida, and even though I only applied it first thing in the morning and mid-to-late afternoon, my fair burn-prone skin neither burned nor tanned. It withstood hot August days that were so sweltering, I was constantly wiping my face with a hand towel I brought just for that purpose. Even after my foundation melted away, still P+P kept me from burning. That's impressive.

I really can't rave enough about this product. Even though it's spendy and with the amount you ought to use to really be protected (I used about .25 tsp on my face and then a normal sunscreen elsewhere) those small tubes run out fast, I wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone who has had trouble finding a good, strong sunblock for their face. It's fab!

on 5/25/2009 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love that it has a SPF50 and 16% zinc oxide. I applied and it made my Dr.Denese tinted moisturizer and Some-Kind-A-Gorgeous look great! Of course, I used them both alternately. M.A.C. Prep + Prime does has a slight white-ish cast until it is rubbed completely in. I took off 1 lippie for the price and packaging. Because its so pricey, I would buy again and use on vacation - only.

on 5/20/2009 6:24:00 PM

it breaks me out..... besides that this is a wonderful product, helping foundation stay longer on my oily face. too bad, i really wanted to like it.

on 5/12/2009 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is wonderful! I've tried Clarins, Smashbox, MUFE and Laura Mercier and have always been disappointed (either by the product not doing as it claims or by the price or both) and this is the only one that I've kept. It keeps my makeup matte and oilfree for most of the day (I have a really oily nose) and I just need to retouch with a little powder or blot paper by midday. My makeup also lasts all day with this too. It feels really nice and smooth going on as well. I squeeze a little bit onto my foundation brush and a little bit covers my whole face. My one complaint would be the packaging. I think that the plastic bottle should be softer so that you can squeeze out all of the product. I feel that some is going to get stuck in the cracks and for what I paid, I want all of my product! I will definitely buy over and over again though. SPF 50 AND keeps your makeup on all day? Can't get any better than that!
______________________________________
NC40, Black Hair, Brown Eyes, Combination Skin

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I decided to try this product because I needed a high-SPF sunscreen that I could wear on a daily basis under makeup. As someone with very oily skin, living in a hot, humid climate, finding a sunscreen that doesn't slide off is not easy! This stuff is a lifesaver! It really does help mattify my skin and keep my makeup on longer, and best of all, it's got SPF 50 to protect my pale skin from all those harsh Texas rays. I only have two gripes: 1) the price is too high for the amount of product you get, and 2) the first few times I used it, it seemed separated, even after shaking well. Still very pleased overall, though. Edit: My second tube did not separate, thankfully. I told the makeup artist what happened to my first tube and she said that's not normal, and to feel free to bring it in for an exchange if I ever get another tube that separates.

on 5/4/2009 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I rated 4 lippies for its quality but the price. IMO, it doesn't fill in my huge pores but makes my face look less shiny after a few hours. I would say the Prep+Prime SPF 50 is more like a sunscreen than an original face primer. Texture is thick cream but easy to spread on skin (meaning that it takes time to dry completely). The first time I got it from Macy's, I saw the cream seperated from water so I took it back for the exchange. SA said that it had expired somehow !! What !! How come they sold this to the customers. In conclusion, if you are looking for a good sunscreen which mattifies your oily skin, this is the one. Look elsewhere if you want something to fill in lines and huge pores. I will not repurchase.

on 5/4/2009 7:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my HG primer and I hope MAC never discontinues it! I have extremely oily skin and this below a foundation keeps my skin nice and matte throughout the day. I do have to blot maybe twice? - throughout the day but believe me it's a whole lot better than if I wasn't wearing it - foundation would just slide off. It's rather expensive but I really haven't had anything work so well for me before, plus one tube can last me a few months. I'm on to my second tube now and it hasn't broken me out though it does have pore clogging tendencies. Make sure you cleanse your face properly after using and you'll be fine. I love the SPF50 too. Definitely would recommend!

on 4/21/2009 3:37:00 PM

Like others, I have been unable to get a straight answer as to whether this product is supposed to be a primer in and of itself, or if it's just a component in the Prep & Prime line. The M.A.C. pore filler says it should be applied before this product, indicating to me that this is a modular sort of priming "system."

Anyway, I use it as a primer with great results. It appears to fill in pores and fines lines and visibly evens out my skin tone. It holds makeup like glue and makes my foundation look smooth and perfect.

The one major drawback that really can't be emphasized enough is that you will *not* get SPF 50 protection unless you apply a LOT of this product. That's the trap of "combo" products that include SPF. I do wear a pretty solid layer, and that makes the $28 price tag even more ridiculous.

You can also wear another sunscreen underneath, if you can't afford to go nuts with this and your own skin can handle that many layers. I have yet to perfect makeup application over a truly optimal quantity of sunscreen without looking shiny as hell and/or flaking because of the excess product.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I really can't decide whether or not I like this product. One thing I noticed is that it does a great job of keeping my makeup stay put, however like some other users, I too experienced it seperating. The consistency was runny and it was like the cream seperated from the oils. I would try shaking the tube but after squeezing it out it felt really oily and greasy!! I made the mistake of using it in that condition...uh yeah, BAD IDEA...my face kicked into oil production overdrive!!! The sad thing was I thought it was supposed to be like that...I told a MAC SA that it was making me oily and she suggested that I used a moisturizer under it. Problem was I was already using Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel under it.

I've read that another user brought it to their attention and recieved a new one. I wish I had thought of that...maybe I'll give it a try again. I've tried other primers like Peter Thomas Roth, and the Monistat Anti - Chaffing Gel and they usually didn't cut it for me so I shall update after my second attempt at this. Wish me luck!

on 4/19/2009 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I bought this kind of on a whim because I decided that I needed something to help control my oily skin as the weather got warmer and more humid. I didn't really purchase this product with high hopes of a miracle. I just wanted something to *help* mattify my skin.

I was very suprised within minutes of first applying this. My skin was instantly matte and this result lasted all day! My eyeshadow went on beautifully and with minimal creasing after 10 hours! I use this with the translucent Prep+Prime Finishing Powder and this combination keeps my skin looking fresh all day. The first day I wore this combination over moisturized skin, my boyfriend asked me if I was wearing foundation!... and I NEVER wear foundation!

I love this product and I would definitely recommend this to you oily skined gals (and guys!) out there who just need that little extra something to make your skin appear more flawless =O) The high SPF protection is just the icing on the cake.

I will definitely repurchase, even though it might be a while because you only need very little of the product for each use. It is a bit pricey though, but for the result, it's totally worth it.

Popular Primer/ Correctors