MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

on 5/25/2009 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love that it has a SPF50 and 16% zinc oxide. I applied and it made my Dr.Denese tinted moisturizer and Some-Kind-A-Gorgeous look great! Of course, I used them both alternately. M.A.C. Prep + Prime does has a slight white-ish cast until it is rubbed completely in. I took off 1 lippie for the price and packaging. Because its so pricey, I would buy again and use on vacation - only.

on 5/20/2009 6:24:00 PM

it breaks me out..... besides that this is a wonderful product, helping foundation stay longer on my oily face. too bad, i really wanted to like it.

on 5/12/2009 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is wonderful! I've tried Clarins, Smashbox, MUFE and Laura Mercier and have always been disappointed (either by the product not doing as it claims or by the price or both) and this is the only one that I've kept. It keeps my makeup matte and oilfree for most of the day (I have a really oily nose) and I just need to retouch with a little powder or blot paper by midday. My makeup also lasts all day with this too. It feels really nice and smooth going on as well. I squeeze a little bit onto my foundation brush and a little bit covers my whole face. My one complaint would be the packaging. I think that the plastic bottle should be softer so that you can squeeze out all of the product. I feel that some is going to get stuck in the cracks and for what I paid, I want all of my product! I will definitely buy over and over again though. SPF 50 AND keeps your makeup on all day? Can't get any better than that!
______________________________________
NC40, Black Hair, Brown Eyes, Combination Skin

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I decided to try this product because I needed a high-SPF sunscreen that I could wear on a daily basis under makeup. As someone with very oily skin, living in a hot, humid climate, finding a sunscreen that doesn't slide off is not easy! This stuff is a lifesaver! It really does help mattify my skin and keep my makeup on longer, and best of all, it's got SPF 50 to protect my pale skin from all those harsh Texas rays. I only have two gripes: 1) the price is too high for the amount of product you get, and 2) the first few times I used it, it seemed separated, even after shaking well. Still very pleased overall, though. Edit: My second tube did not separate, thankfully. I told the makeup artist what happened to my first tube and she said that's not normal, and to feel free to bring it in for an exchange if I ever get another tube that separates.

on 5/4/2009 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I rated 4 lippies for its quality but the price. IMO, it doesn't fill in my huge pores but makes my face look less shiny after a few hours. I would say the Prep+Prime SPF 50 is more like a sunscreen than an original face primer. Texture is thick cream but easy to spread on skin (meaning that it takes time to dry completely). The first time I got it from Macy's, I saw the cream seperated from water so I took it back for the exchange. SA said that it had expired somehow !! What !! How come they sold this to the customers. In conclusion, if you are looking for a good sunscreen which mattifies your oily skin, this is the one. Look elsewhere if you want something to fill in lines and huge pores. I will not repurchase.

on 5/4/2009 7:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my HG primer and I hope MAC never discontinues it! I have extremely oily skin and this below a foundation keeps my skin nice and matte throughout the day. I do have to blot maybe twice? - throughout the day but believe me it's a whole lot better than if I wasn't wearing it - foundation would just slide off. It's rather expensive but I really haven't had anything work so well for me before, plus one tube can last me a few months. I'm on to my second tube now and it hasn't broken me out though it does have pore clogging tendencies. Make sure you cleanse your face properly after using and you'll be fine. I love the SPF50 too. Definitely would recommend!

on 4/21/2009 3:37:00 PM

Like others, I have been unable to get a straight answer as to whether this product is supposed to be a primer in and of itself, or if it's just a component in the Prep & Prime line. The M.A.C. pore filler says it should be applied before this product, indicating to me that this is a modular sort of priming "system."

Anyway, I use it as a primer with great results. It appears to fill in pores and fines lines and visibly evens out my skin tone. It holds makeup like glue and makes my foundation look smooth and perfect.

The one major drawback that really can't be emphasized enough is that you will *not* get SPF 50 protection unless you apply a LOT of this product. That's the trap of "combo" products that include SPF. I do wear a pretty solid layer, and that makes the $28 price tag even more ridiculous.

You can also wear another sunscreen underneath, if you can't afford to go nuts with this and your own skin can handle that many layers. I have yet to perfect makeup application over a truly optimal quantity of sunscreen without looking shiny as hell and/or flaking because of the excess product.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I really can't decide whether or not I like this product. One thing I noticed is that it does a great job of keeping my makeup stay put, however like some other users, I too experienced it seperating. The consistency was runny and it was like the cream seperated from the oils. I would try shaking the tube but after squeezing it out it felt really oily and greasy!! I made the mistake of using it in that condition...uh yeah, BAD IDEA...my face kicked into oil production overdrive!!! The sad thing was I thought it was supposed to be like that...I told a MAC SA that it was making me oily and she suggested that I used a moisturizer under it. Problem was I was already using Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel under it.

I've read that another user brought it to their attention and recieved a new one. I wish I had thought of that...maybe I'll give it a try again. I've tried other primers like Peter Thomas Roth, and the Monistat Anti - Chaffing Gel and they usually didn't cut it for me so I shall update after my second attempt at this. Wish me luck!

on 4/19/2009 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I bought this kind of on a whim because I decided that I needed something to help control my oily skin as the weather got warmer and more humid. I didn't really purchase this product with high hopes of a miracle. I just wanted something to *help* mattify my skin.

I was very suprised within minutes of first applying this. My skin was instantly matte and this result lasted all day! My eyeshadow went on beautifully and with minimal creasing after 10 hours! I use this with the translucent Prep+Prime Finishing Powder and this combination keeps my skin looking fresh all day. The first day I wore this combination over moisturized skin, my boyfriend asked me if I was wearing foundation!... and I NEVER wear foundation!

I love this product and I would definitely recommend this to you oily skined gals (and guys!) out there who just need that little extra something to make your skin appear more flawless =O) The high SPF protection is just the icing on the cake.

I will definitely repurchase, even though it might be a while because you only need very little of the product for each use. It is a bit pricey though, but for the result, it's totally worth it.

on 4/16/2009 10:06:00 AM

Being a future skin therapist, this is something I recommend in everyones make-up bag; not only does this product maintain my foundation through out the day, but it also contains SPF 50.

Popular Primer/ Correctors