Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

Multitude of uses.
1)Combined with beeswax, sweet almond oil, olive oil, glycerin, cocoa butter and a few squirts of hemp lotion in a DIY double broiler (pan over boiling water) until melted. Works great for my very dry legs and makes my post pregnancy spider veins stop itching.
2)After sun lotion.
3)Hair moisturizer
4)In-a-pinch lip balm
5)Shaving lotion- just use a spoon to scoop some out, slather on legs and shave away.
I really like my lotion and using coconut oil for shaving my legs. I get less razor irritation than with normal shave cream.

on 7/15/2012 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

I have been using coconut oil for my dry hair for a very long time( Cant use it on my face as it will be too heavy for my oily skin). It definetely moisturises my hair. For extra conditioning I add essential oils like jojoba, teatree and rosemary. But I have found that a hair mask of yogurt n honey works better for me than coconut oil alone. Its just my opinion and not a generalisation.

on 7/15/2012 7:29:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love it.This oil works great on my hair. It also makes my skin very soft without breaking me out and absorbs quickly.

on 7/6/2012 2:38:00 AM

After hearing nothing but wonderful things about coconut oil, I just HAD to try it. I have to say that, for me, this is a wonderful body moisturizer. I have mild to moderate psoriasis and this softens my skin like nothing else I've used. My skin literally feels silky when I use this. It does have an oily consistency (it is an oil after all) and I only use it before bed. It seems more like a "dry" oil, though, and absorbs into my skin really well. I can only use it on my face one night a week, though. I love the way my skin feels but I break out in tiny white heads if I use it for more than the one night. I even tried mixing it with tea tree oil to prevent the breakouts but that didn't work. I will definitely continue to use this for ever and ever!

on 7/4/2012 12:53:00 AM

Another way to use coconut oil- boil water on the stove and pour it into a large bowl. Then put the oil on your face and lean over the bowl as you pull a towel over your head. This will keep all the steam in. This has soo many benefits- it moisturizes, smooths, and helps with sinus relief!!!! Do this twice a week and your skin will be baby soft!!!

on 7/3/2012 3:48:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Love it! I use unrefined virgin coconut oil as a hair treatment. I have fine but wavy hair and I have no problems with greasiness. I put it all throughout my hair and even massage it into my scalp. Leave on 2 hours or so and shampoo/condition as usual. My hair is softer, stronger and it makes my waves more defined and less frizzy.

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

Coconut oil... I use for so many things.
Hair masks, swish before brushing teeth for gum health, I use it when I make popcorn/cook, I use it to remove my make-up, as a body moisturizer, mix it with soap to scrub nails(sometimes I add lemon juice& baking soda to whiten nails)... It's definitely my oil of choice.

on 7/3/2012 2:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I also had to give coconut oil a try after reading so many raves about it. And it has proven to be one of those "do it all" plant oils (i.e. like olive oil) that is a great mult-tasker, shows visible results, is completely non-irritating and costs practically nothing compared to fancy, name-brand moisturizers. This is the first all-natural plant oil that I can actually use in my hair as a styling product that adds shine, smoothness... and ultimately improves its' condition. In the morning, I take a tiny little amount and rub it between my palms and lightly smooth over my hair. Ocassionally I'll mix a little with L'oreal out of bed texturizer. Either way, it makes my hair look more under control and NOT greasy. I also use this on my face at night {after my treatment product- like Retin A- but before my final moisturizer (CeraVe)} I get even better results if I mix a little oil olive with it before I apply. My skin feels even softer and looks even smoother. As a body moisturizer- if I am feeling a bit drier than usual- I sometimes mix this with my CeraVe lotion to make it creamier and more intense. I bought a 15oz jar at the Vitamin Shoppe for $9.99 and I decanted about 3.5oz into an empty, wide-mouthed, 4oz jar. I think it is probably best to decant a smaller amount, otherwise you are constantly sticking your hands in the big jar. Such a small amount is needed for application that the 3.5oz I decanted will probably last forever! I don't care for the smell, but it disappates quickly.

Also, (and I apologize if this TMI), this makes a great initimate lubricant. You can have fun with this in the boudoir- it works great, is completely not irritating, is edible and tastes good, and smells faintly coconuty. Cheers!

*UPDATE: The scent has really grown on me and I like it now. On these warm summer nights, I find myself using the pure coconut oil alone after a bath or shower.

on 7/3/2012 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had read about this oil in forums, blogs, seen it on youtube, read about it in magazines as a beauty item... but I never purchased it. Until now!

I ordered this from iherb when it was on sale. It was organic, cold pressed and expeller pressed, and it was clearly one of the best options. It arrived in the mail, and I immediately went to my bathroom with the supposedly golden (er... white) stuff and slathered it into my hair. Okay, it smelled good - check, but did it work? Heck yeah! When I washed it out my hair felt softer than ever before. I also brought it with me to Italy, and it helped keeping my hair soft from the harsh pool water, and also kept my skin smooth and supple after sunbathing (Kind of like an after sun lotion). I also ate 1 spoon of it before breakfast for a couple of days since it was supposed to be super healthy, and even if 1 TS contains about 130 calories and can be fattening, I swear I felt fuller than ever before that day, so the feeling you get after a spoon makes up for the huge amount of calories. I almost didn't eat a thing during those days, only breakfast and dinner - which is great if you diet and want to look great in a bikini (like me), but if you're skinny and struggle to maintain weight, then this can leave you feeling nauseated. I don't understand how Miranda Kerr manages to stuff down 4 ts of this each day, I would have puked no matter how I got it into my system. But she has beautiful skin and a rocking body, so I guess it works for her =)

Will buy it again for hair, skin and body. I can definitely say that this has replaced all my oils, even jojoba and almond nut oil, which used to be HG stuff before I was introduced to this.

on 7/2/2012 11:08:00 AM

After reading so many positive reviews here on Coconut Oil and its many uses, I bought a jar in March for about $10 and started to use only as a nighttime face wash (to remove makeup, including eyes). I quickly moved on to use it as an under eye moisturizer (at night) and then also as my morning face wash. Four months in, I couldn't be happier with the results.

My skin is by far more balanced than it ever was, and I say this as someone who has spent a good deal of time and money over the years searching for the best products for my skin. I have very sensitive, combination skin, with my nose being a bit more oily at times. It was common for me to have a few pores on my nose that always seemed open/bigger than the rest. I don't know how or why the Coconut Oil works, but without question my pores have shrunk and my skin is much more balanced. I always use a washcloth to remove/rinse from my face. I think some people go without but for me, I know that my face wouldn't feel clean if I didn't use the cloth.

Beyond the great results, I love love love the low cost and how far one $10 jar will go. I don't think I have ever had a superior skin care product (that cost only $10) last for 4+ months, especially when used twice a day.

While I do use it in the evening as an eye moisturizer (and very much like the results, no milia, skin is soft, etc.), I do find that it's a bit too greasy when worn with mascara. Maybe it's my application as I see others mentioning their use of it with make up.

I have not used it as a full on moizturizer, though in the colder, drier months I used a few dabs to enhance my Jurlique oil where my skin was a bit dry.

I also used it as a deep hair conditioner (twice alone and once with olive oil). I don't have anything positive or negative to say about that experience other than the recommendation that it be used as a pre-shampoo treatment rather than post-shampoo. Others may disagree but my experience was that it can be greasy as just a post-shampoo deep conditioner. It did leave my hair soft, but I was actually trying to remedy some issues with the ends of my hair that it turns out were perpetually caused by the type of cut I was receiving. I don't think any product could have resolved that issue in and of itself. I will try the conditioning treatment again now that my hair is back in line and will post back on results.

My only "negative" comment is that as you get down to the last 1/3 of the jar, it is very difficult to reach the product. Not sure this is even a negative since it's not designed for this type of use and the easy solution is to just use a spoon or other utensil.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products