October 1, 2014 | 1877 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 1 of 5 on 2/14/2009 3:19:00 PM More reviews by mckennafofenna

My dermotologist gave me this medication for my acne which began getting really bad when I started high school and after using it for a week, I litteraly had pieces of skin peeling off my face that were the size of dimes. Gross, I know. It made my skin so incredibly dry that I couldn't even put moisturizer on because everything burned my skin. I would not recommend this to anyone. Go with another acne product.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2009 7:35:00 PM More reviews by CultDiva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using Retin-A 0.1 % on and off for several years. I think it's kept my skin from aging poorly, considering all the time I spent in the sun as a young woman. I do notice I look younger than most women my age, but on the other hand I have much darker and oilier skin than they do. I can't imagine going without this product, and I find most dermatologists and plastic surgeons can at least agree that Retin-A is a must have anti-aging skin must.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2009 5:55:00 PM More reviews by 1spell4u

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using Retin -A micro for at least 2 years now. I use it help control acne. I have super oily skin. I use it once per week because I hate the peeling that occurs. But after the peeling goes away my skin looks great. I wouldnt recommend this for someone with dry skin. Its available by prescription and I'm glad that my insurance covers it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2009 7:20:00 PM More reviews by nenaguapa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product is amazing. I have been using it for about 7 years. I am only 25. It works amazing, it is strong for certain skin types, but I have oily skin and it totally prevents me from having breakouts and wrinkles. It is the only proven thing to reduce and prevent wrinkles. On the downside you cannot expose yourself to ANY sun, you cannot wax you eyebrow, the skin turns very sensitive.... but if you cannot tolerate it use it every 3 days.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/9/2009 5:52:00 PM More reviews by katetdang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm still working on my first tube of this stuff--it's been about 2 months now. When I first started it, the peeling and purging was totally horrible! It really hurt and looked awful--I had a little girl in the Sunday school class I teach asked what was wrong with my face right at the jawline area where I break out most. One day, in the shower, I rubbed off all this dead skin (just with my fingers) and it revealed smoother skin. However, there is still uneven coloring--I'm waiting the Retin A to even out the coloring. I still get new pimples, even some of the deep cystic ones, but they are not near the amount that I had when I was purging or before starting Retin A.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2009 4:19:00 PM More reviews by APaleBlondeSpeaks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product erases wrinkles and acne by stimulating collagen production; old skin peels away, and new skin emerges. It is derm recommended and prescribed, but can be ordered online, too.
___
Because of the reviews here, I began using it in ROC's cream 3 months ago, then switched to pure Retin A (.01%) a month ago every night on my neck with a moisturizer; the wrinkles on my neck have all but disappeared. Sometimes my neck itches--my skin is still adjusting. I have to use it every OTHER day on my forehead and chin because otherwise it causes old skin to peel away too noticeably. However, it has kept acne away very nicely. I exfoliate every day with Queen Helene's Honey and Oatmeal scrub which helps the new skin emerge. I will continue use and update this review in a few months.
___
Tips for using this product:
1. Begin with .01% (a low dose) and apply every other night until your skin adjusts
2. Wear moisturizer at all times and SPF during the day
3. Google this product for more tips

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2009 10:08:00 AM More reviews by AthenaNike

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm on Retin-A Micro .04% for acne. I don't care about wrinkles, though I do have them. I'll really only buy this again because I've only been using it a few months. I can't tell if this product is working or not: I get fewer pimples, but the ones I do get are H-U-G-E and painful. The total swollen area can be as large as a US dime (approx. 1 cm). They never come to a head and they look like I am sprouting horns or tusks. Anyway--I know there is a purging stage but I've been on this for nearly three months and I can't say a whole lot about it.
The packaging could improve: it's in a metal tube that I just KNOW if going to crack soon.
Mine is relatively cheap because insurance covers it, but without insurance it can cost up to $100 a tube (depending on Rx strength and size of tube).
The best thing I have ever used for acne was...drumroll, please...oral contraceptives. If you're [female and] looking for the acne cure-all, try birth control. I can't take it now because I have a medical condition that OCs exacerbate, so I have been on a mission to find the next-best thing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2009 10:44:00 AM More reviews by caseyfa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I agree with a previous poster that if you have keratosis pilaris, retin-A will VANQUISH it. Unfortunately, it is too expensive to use on every area of the body where KP is an issue, but I also use the full strength cream every 2 weeks or so to keep my arms clear. It also cleared up the scarring I had from picking - I'm no longer afraid to wear sleeveless shirts in the summer.

Ladies, for KP on the buttocks and thighs, I have found this regimen works wonders: Wear one of those neoprene weight loss shorts to bed. The overnight marinating in moisture makes my bottom and thighs smooth overnight and it doesn't seem to make a difference what moisturizer I use, although lately I am addicted to Bio-Oil.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2009 12:24:00 AM More reviews by mellyrose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a godsend. My miracle in a tube. Been using it for two years, and I get stopped constantly about my skin, which is amazing, bc I had terrible skin my whole life. If it was legal, I'd marry it.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2009 12:17:00 AM More reviews by RtiQlitQT

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use Tretinoin 0.050% Cream for my anti-acne, anti-aging skin care regimen and it has worked wonders. Use of this and Stridex 2% Salicylic Acid Alcohol Free Pads has given me my first clear complexion since I was 14. Also, this retinoid has greatly improved my skin's texture and has significantly reduced wrinkles.

IMPORTANT: Retinoids should ONLY be used at night and in conjunction with the use of a high-protection sunscreen during the day.

I use it straight and unbuffered (full concentration, unmixed, undiluted) on the start of any blemishes to quickly remove them, and I use a pea-sized amount buffered with a pea-sized amount of Eucerin Q10 Anti-Wrinkle Sensitive Skin Creme every two to three days.

When I first began using this, I used it unbuffered and experienced a lot of peeling. Just buffering it and using it only every two or three days has solved the excessive peeling problem for me.

This is holy grail stuff for me and I will never be without it!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No