Lemon Juice

Price: $

5% to 6% (approximately 0.3 M) citric acid, Vitamin C, pH 2 to 3

on 1/20/2010 7:33:00 PM

I tried lemon juice on my face and thought it worked pretty well. <3
The initial stinging doesn't bother me, my skin can tolerate it, and I leave it on for about 15-20 mins and then wash off.
It makes your skin glowy and tight!I take some lemon juice and make sure to dilute it with water, or add it too a homemade mask. Never leave it on over night though, can make your skin photosensitive, but I wear a sunscreen everyday, so I don't worry about that too badly.

I am careful because lemon juice is a strong citrus acid and I am a little worried about using it everyday, so I save it for once or twice a week (when I do a mask or something). I have acne prone skin and it works for it. :)
I like all natural skin care solutions, and you can't get any more natural than this!

on 1/20/2010 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I always squeeze some lemon juice in my (almost) daily yogurt mask. It is really brightening and I would recommend it to anyone with acne-prone skin.

It cheap and obviously natural.

on 1/20/2010 12:58:00 PM

I had to try this as well after reading all the various reviews.

My skin is really stubborn. I dont' have the worst acne in the world, but sometimes it will come out of nowhere, in full force. I typically have anywhere from 2-6 blemishes around my face that are really noticeable because I pick at them.

I've been trying out the lemon juice (i just bought a bottle from my local grocery store) for over two weeks now, and this is the first time in a long time i have no acne on my face. It does burn, sometimes more than other times, but I immediately apply complex 15 (my favorite moisturizer) and it counteracts that sensation.

As for my left-behind acne marks on my face, I can't really notice anything fading drastically, but my overall complexion looks so much healthier. Even though I live in LA, I'm quite pale, so I wouldn't recommend this "product" to anyone who tans regularly.

Also, you have to give it two weeks at least, to do its thing. It definitely brings up a lot of acne that sits deep in your skin. I was quite frustrated at first, but the acid kills it almost immediately so your face tends to heal faster anyway. You have to stick with it.

After I use up the bottle i purchase, I plan to buy an organic bottle at whole foods, now that I know I will be using this pretty much every day forward. Hands down, best acne related product i have ever used. I will never go back to prescription gels ever again.

on 1/19/2010 6:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Wow, HATE this! I used this on a few freckles, one in particular, to see if it would lighten them. It really seemed to be, and I was happy, but then a bit ZIT came up right underneath - it had irritated my skin like crazy. And now the freckle seems darker than ever! Major suckfest. Do not use if you have sensitive skin.
UPDATE: Okay, the freckle is still faded, but I still have the zit several days later, so is it worth it? Tossup.

on 1/5/2010 8:10:00 AM

I've been using lemon juice from fresh lemons for about two weeks now and i'm amazed by the results. So far it has cleared up my stubborn acne and brightened my skin. Who would have though that something as simple as a lemon could work better than the most expensive skin care products? I think it all comes down to the fact that nature is the best, and chemical products only aggravate skin and cause more problems.

I apply the juice twice a day with a cotton pad before I apply jojoba and lavender oil as a moisturizer. So far this is working well to keep my skin clear, bright, and even. It's even starting to fade old acne scars.

EDIT: It stopped working as well after a few week so I switched to Neostrata Peel Solution, working freat so far after a bit of "purging".

on 12/23/2009 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

My skin: Light but not pale, acne prone but mostly clear, oily, lots of old acne scars

Hopes and dreams for this product: subtle skin lightening (my face is more tan than my body, which is annoying), lightening of acne scars, reduction in acne, less oil

Regimen: I used concentrated lemon juice from the bottle. I applied nightly with a cotton ball for about a month. After a month, I started applying it about three times a week.

Results: My skin is not noticeably lighter although some of my scars are. It's not dramatic but I notice the difference. My skin tone looks a bit more even. My skin is less oily although my acne is not any different. Lemon juice stings a little but I didn't really mind.

Conclusion: My acne scars have faded. It's only a little but but for such a cheap product, I'm more than happy. I think this product is overhyped but it does deliver some results.

on 12/21/2009 3:58:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I don't use this on my skin cause it's sensitive (I use mineral salt stick instead) But I like using it as a bath to clean my nails after I use my nail brush! Keeps them super clean and strong.

on 12/18/2009 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

5 Step Guide to Using Lemons As Skincare Products

1. Start with a room-temperature lemon. To get more juice out of mine, I put it in the microwave and zap it on HIGH for 10 seconds, then roll it around on the counter. Squeezing it gently so the skin doesn't break also helps. I've gotten nearly half as much MORE juice out this way.

2. Poke a hole in the lemon with a toothpick or short skewer, squeeze out enough to wet a cotton ball, then reinsert the toothpick and store in the fridge. It keeps longer this way, and I like my toner cold/refrigerated. Mmm, that chill is refreshing! Oh, I also like it undiluted, but you're welcome to wet your cotton ball with a bit of water for sensitive skin.

3. Apply to skin of face. Avoid eyes and neck. I rub mine over my lips to get rid of winter flakes, but your tastes may vary.

4. Don't wash off. I apply a heavy moisturizer right over the top after about five minutes. I'm talking HEAVY here. You are putting citric acid on your face.

5. Prepare for the purging and initial dry/dull skin before the results. When I first started, I woke up in the morning and found many tiny, needle-point sized pustules on my forehead, nose, and cheeks - which quickly cleared up. It also brought that "stuff" lurking inside deep, cystic acne to the surface. I had a particularly large one on my chin that was a mere hard bump before lemon juice brought it to the surface that morning. Needless to say, it shocked me. My skin also looked dull and lifeless after application, but I kept pressing on and manually exfoliating earlier in the daytime (I found lemon juice AND scrubbing at night to be far too harsh for my skin to bear it, and I didn't even have that stinging pain when I first put LJ on). My skin now glows from within, almost. Not to mention my oil production in my t-zone area is quite a bit more controlled now.

This is strictly a NIGHT routine. I wouldn't do this in the day before heading out to work. Not only does contact with sunlight bleach your skin (sometimes unevenly), but I find that sweating a lot can really make your face break out with uncontrollable itching. You could use it in the day and put sunscreen on top, but that seems to me a recipe for itchiness with all those physical/chemical barriers. I'm not brave enough to try it yet with my face, but if I ever do, I'll update.

UPDATE: It's been brought to my attention to mention that I should mention this: microwaving the lemon will change the molecular structure of the juice inside and could destroy nutrients in the process. On the same hand, heating up citric acid degrades the acid (toning down the pH more towards neutral), so adding heat might make it easier for your skin to take the acidity (undiluted). So use your best judgment on nuking your lemon. =)

on 12/18/2009 7:42:00 PM

Ive been doing this for a few nights now and it is so great. I use it in a bottle thats 99.9% lemon and it bought all my blackheads to the surface and my nose peel thing that usually never worked pulled out loads of them. It brings all the blemishes to the surface which eventually go away forever. Im using this everynight until my skin is completely clear then ill start using it every third night.
I loveee it, it only cons is its drying which is worth it all you need is moisturiser. You dont wash it off either its like a toner. Oh and another con is it stings like really badn but that goes away after a few seconds, definately HG
its worth a try since its cheap considering the results.
UPDATE: After a while of using it i found its made me break out too much, ill probably only use it when im prepping to use a pore strip. ill try it again in a few months

on 12/18/2009 4:33:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This does wonders for my skin! I use it with salt as a scrub 2-3 times a week. My acne is loads better and my skin has a glow to it. If you have sensitive skin, you might want to dilute it with water.
Note: you MUST MUST MUST use sunscreen if you use lemon juice for skincare.

Popular Treatments (Face)