September 1, 2014 | 1935 users online

Treatments (Face) - Lemon Juice

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2009 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Zevie

My skin: Light but not pale, acne prone but mostly clear, oily, lots of old acne scars

Hopes and dreams for this product: subtle skin lightening (my face is more tan than my body, which is annoying), lightening of acne scars, reduction in acne, less oil

Regimen: I used concentrated lemon juice from the bottle. I applied nightly with a cotton ball for about a month. After a month, I started applying it about three times a week.

Results: My skin is not noticeably lighter although some of my scars are. It's not dramatic but I notice the difference. My skin tone looks a bit more even. My skin is less oily although my acne is not any different. Lemon juice stings a little but I didn't really mind.

Conclusion: My acne scars have faded. It's only a little but but for such a cheap product, I'm more than happy. I think this product is overhyped but it does deliver some results.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2009 3:58:00 PM More reviews by perfectflower

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I don't use this on my skin cause it's sensitive (I use mineral salt stick instead) But I like using it as a bath to clean my nails after I use my nail brush! Keeps them super clean and strong.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2009 10:14:00 PM More reviews by Xelestra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

5 Step Guide to Using Lemons As Skincare Products

1. Start with a room-temperature lemon. To get more juice out of mine, I put it in the microwave and zap it on HIGH for 10 seconds, then roll it around on the counter. Squeezing it gently so the skin doesn't break also helps. I've gotten nearly half as much MORE juice out this way.

2. Poke a hole in the lemon with a toothpick or short skewer, squeeze out enough to wet a cotton ball, then reinsert the toothpick and store in the fridge. It keeps longer this way, and I like my toner cold/refrigerated. Mmm, that chill is refreshing! Oh, I also like it undiluted, but you're welcome to wet your cotton ball with a bit of water for sensitive skin.

3. Apply to skin of face. Avoid eyes and neck. I rub mine over my lips to get rid of winter flakes, but your tastes may vary.

4. Don't wash off. I apply a heavy moisturizer right over the top after about five minutes. I'm talking HEAVY here. You are putting citric acid on your face.

5. Prepare for the purging and initial dry/dull skin before the results. When I first started, I woke up in the morning and found many tiny, needle-point sized pustules on my forehead, nose, and cheeks - which quickly cleared up. It also brought that "stuff" lurking inside deep, cystic acne to the surface. I had a particularly large one on my chin that was a mere hard bump before lemon juice brought it to the surface that morning. Needless to say, it shocked me. My skin also looked dull and lifeless after application, but I kept pressing on and manually exfoliating earlier in the daytime (I found lemon juice AND scrubbing at night to be far too harsh for my skin to bear it, and I didn't even have that stinging pain when I first put LJ on). My skin now glows from within, almost. Not to mention my oil production in my t-zone area is quite a bit more controlled now.

This is strictly a NIGHT routine. I wouldn't do this in the day before heading out to work. Not only does contact with sunlight bleach your skin (sometimes unevenly), but I find that sweating a lot can really make your face break out with uncontrollable itching. You could use it in the day and put sunscreen on top, but that seems to me a recipe for itchiness with all those physical/chemical barriers. I'm not brave enough to try it yet with my face, but if I ever do, I'll update.

UPDATE: It's been brought to my attention to mention that I should mention this: microwaving the lemon will change the molecular structure of the juice inside and could destroy nutrients in the process. On the same hand, heating up citric acid degrades the acid (toning down the pH more towards neutral), so adding heat might make it easier for your skin to take the acidity (undiluted). So use your best judgment on nuking your lemon. =)

46 out of 50 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/18/2009 7:42:00 PM More reviews by Tinzeh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ive been doing this for a few nights now and it is so great. I use it in a bottle thats 99.9% lemon and it bought all my blackheads to the surface and my nose peel thing that usually never worked pulled out loads of them. It brings all the blemishes to the surface which eventually go away forever. Im using this everynight until my skin is completely clear then ill start using it every third night.
I loveee it, it only cons is its drying which is worth it all you need is moisturiser. You dont wash it off either its like a toner. Oh and another con is it stings like really badn but that goes away after a few seconds, definately HG
its worth a try since its cheap considering the results.
UPDATE: After a while of using it i found its made me break out too much, ill probably only use it when im prepping to use a pore strip. ill try it again in a few months

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2009 4:33:00 PM More reviews by yvonyvonnette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

This does wonders for my skin! I use it with salt as a scrub 2-3 times a week. My acne is loads better and my skin has a glow to it. If you have sensitive skin, you might want to dilute it with water.
Note: you MUST MUST MUST use sunscreen if you use lemon juice for skincare.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/13/2009 5:33:00 PM More reviews by bellastellae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Aww.... I'm so sad that this didn't work for me! :( How is this working for everyone else?? I currently have light/moderate acne, and I used to have moderate/occasionally severe acne, which has left me with a lot of light scars all over my face. I also have blotchiness/redness, very oily skin, and large pores. So, I thought I was the perfect candidate for lemon juice!

I used it four five consecutive nights. After washing my face, I squeezed drops of fresh lemon juice onto a cotton pad, and I wiped it all over my face. I left it on for 10-20 minutes, and then I lightly rinsed my face with water and went to bed.

Right after I applied the lemon juice, my face would get really red and blotchy, which is I thought was okay because I figured it would subside. And then I would see little pimples start to come to the surface, which I thought was just maybe an initial reaction to the stuff, and would also subside. But no, in the morning, my face still looked blotchy with little pimples (the intense redness subsided though, which is good), and my skin looked weathered, my pores looked bigger, and my scars looked more pronounced! The exact OPPOSITE effect of what this stuff is supposed to do! I decided to keep with it for a week to see if improvements would come, but after five days, I just had to stop because I was feeling very unhappy with my skin. I usually use Aqua Glycolic toner, and that stuff works 100 times better than lemon juice. It's a man-made product, and it costs $12/bottle, but for nice skin, it's worth it. When I stopped with the lemon juice and got back with AG toner, my skin improved immediately. Whew!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2009 2:29:00 PM More reviews by sickofacne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

WOW,
After everything I've bought and used, and has failed to work on my horrible skin, the answer was laying in my fridge!!!! This works! My skin is brighter (I'm not kidding, I look wide awake, and I have this glow about me, and it's not because of an oily face!), acne is fading, new acne is very small and goes away in a snap, and it smells good, costs NOTHING!!!!, and I am hooked!
I never swear by a product, and this time, I am floored by a 50 cent lemon!!!! It sounds rediculous, but just try it.....nothing to lose people!!!

Jan 31st update:
OMG.....
Still in love! I use this morning and night! everyone cannot believe how glowy and acne-free my skin is. I always tell them what I use, and they laugh at first.....but then they try it, ans they're now hooked too!
I'm telling all you out there, THIS IS THE ANSWER TO PRAYERS!

Sept 25th 2010 update:
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/29/2009 9:22:00 PM More reviews by StarbrightSparkles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

After reading all the amazing reviews on here I had to give it a go. I went to the supermarket to try and find it in a jug but they all had concentrate and preservatives in the ingrediants so I just bought 3 lemons to try first.

It is a little bit stingy/itchy for about 30 seconds but it disapears quickly and you soon know if you have broken skin! :) But its ok it doesn't sting for long.

I have used it 3 times as my toner so far and there is no need to exfoliate, my acne is getting smaller and smaller, the acne scars have faded a little and the redness from the acne is disappearing.

My partner has also been using it (im not too sure why lol) and he usually has dry flaky skin and the lemon has taken it down to zero (captain planet). He's loving it and i'm loving it.

I squeezed the juice into and just soak a cotton pad, squeeze the excess and rub on my face like toner.

UPDATE: A week down the track of using lemon juice as my toner, it made my acne crazy after temporarily making it better! Please becareful.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2009 9:39:00 PM More reviews by tan0h0lic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

After reading a page of reviews, I HAD to try this as a toner! I soaked a cotton ball with lemon juice (just from a bottle) and rubbed it all over my face. I didn't get much stinging like some have described. Nothing big at all. My skin was nice and smooth. An hour later, I took a look in the mirror and noticed my blackheads on my nose and chin seemed to "rise" to the top. Excited (sad/icky I know!) i went into my cabinet and slapped a Biore strip on my nose and one on my chin. I don't get many when I do it but I got an astounding amount out (and I do this regularly - using biore strips.) I attribute it to the Lemon juice! I am going to keep using this and see how it does for my acne scars. Just based on the fact of how well it loosened up the junk in my pores, I have HIGH hopes for this.. And its so friggen cheap and you get a huge bottle. Try this, you really have nothing to lose!!! If it doesn't work you can always use the LJ to make a lemon pepper chicken marinate! :) hehe

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2009 8:42:00 PM More reviews by highheeled

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love home skin-care remedies, so I was quite excited to try lemon juice as a toner. I've been using it for about two weeks now, and my skin looks great! I pick and poke at my skin mercilessly, and lemon juice really helps my skin heal up faster. I also haven't had any major breakouts since using it, which is quite fabulous. I've also noticed that it's making my skin paler, which is fine with me; I'm naturally pretty porcelain and I feel like the lemon juice is refining my skin color. I'll definitely keep using it - it beats out witch hazel as my HG toner.