beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 6/26/2013 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

*EDIT: Cleaning the sponge* I've had luck with Pond's Cold Cream, while dish soap, liquid hand soap, and liquid makeup remover all failed (it's been suggested to soak the sponge in the dish soap for a period of time but I didn't want to take the chance of the sponge breaking down in it for whatever reason). I fully saturated the sponge with water, generously rubbed the cream into the it, then ran it under water as I squeezed out the cream-- it oozes out in pieces with the makeup attached. After I was sure all of it was out, I washed the sponge with a little liquid hand soap.
---
I tried this out because my nose is narrow so that it's impossible to get even, streak-free coverage with my Sigma stippling brush. The Beautyblender has eliminated this problem for me. I prefer extremely light foundation coverage overall (I use less than half a pea size to cover my T-zone), but I find I must use more than twice that amount with the sponge because it absorbs most of the foundation even when fully expanded. But, this isn't a big downside since my foundation expires eons before I can finish the 1 oz. tube. That being said, I dab product on the areas I want to cover, stipple the Beautyblender over my face, and I get a beautiful veil of light, even, dewy and perfectly-blended coverage. For me, this is a superior tool for spot correction over a stippling or paddle brush because it deposits product on top of the blemish instead of dragging product around like a paddle brush does; I have found stippling brushes too stiff to conceal the raised portion of most blemishes. I still prefer a small, flexible paddle brush for undereye concealer.
I haven't tried washing the sponge yet, but I'm not going to buy the cleaner. I might try a dish soap mixture and edit the review.
The packaging is all right because it provides a place to dry the sponge but I wish the lid was stronger like the container-- it's just a flimsy plastic cover that probably wouldn't survive a suitcase.

on 6/25/2013 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I use this to blend in my foundation, concealer, corrector, etc. I find that it gives SUCH a natural finish without smudging off any product, which tends to sometimes happen when i blend using my fingers if i forget to pat. I would not apply product directly onto the sponge because the product WILL be absorbed, but if you apply product directly on your face and then use the blender, your makeup looks STUNNING!

on 6/25/2013 3:37:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

So glad I gave this product a second chance. After disliking it at first due to not giving my full coverage fdnt a full coverage effect, I love it. The second time I tried it it gave me just the right amount of coverage to cover my redness and blemishes. I run it under the sink and squeeze the water out, squeeze with a towel as well, and dip it in my fdnt and bounce it on skin all over. It feels so cool and soft when on your face, and gives your foundation a natural non-cakey look. Brushes can leave streaks but the beautyblender doesnt. I use to apply fdnt, blend, and apply concealer under your eye. When washing, it does bleed pink for several washes. The only thing I dislike is the price. $20 for a sponge? However I would repurchase this. Definitely recommend this to anyone.

on 6/25/2013 7:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Im deff a believer now. At first i was skeptical. I mean come on it is quite expensive for a sponge. But it does wonders! It's easy to use and gives a beautiful finish. Only down side? HATE CLEANING IT.

on 6/19/2013 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

This wee sponge does WONDERS.

My skin is super dry, and even with regular exfoliation and moisturising, it is so difficult for me to apply my makeup without flakes... but not with the BeautyBlender! I dampen it ever so slightly and then use a stippling motion to blend my makeup, using the pointed tip around my eyes and nose, and it gives a near perfect finish! It doesn't soak up much product, just distributes it and helps achieve a gorgeous blend. I use it both when applying my concealer and foundation.

Amazing little sponge that I will repurchase again and again - it has really been worth the money for me!

on 6/17/2013 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Shall I start by saying that I LOVE it? :) I haven't used sponges for ages. It's been all about flat kabuki brushes for the past several years for me. But now that I have tried the beautyblender I do not even touch or look at the brushes anymore. It's amazing! Honestly! Perfect air-brushed photoshopped foundation application ever. Would I buy it again? Oh, I am seriously thinking of buying a pro-bag with 100 sponges in it :) Seriously now. There are downsides as well. First of all, my EL double-wear light stains it like there is no tomorrow. Nothing can wash these stains off, even if I wash the sponge right away. Second of all, the price. Come on! I paid something like 19 euro for a sponge. SPONGE! Hello?! It won't last forever. I don't think it will even make it through the summer, especially since I am so desperately trying to keep it stain-free. I have also noticed that I am using more foundation with it than I did when I was using brushes. And the last thing - why, oh, why didn't I buy it as soon as it was released? Wasted years without this amazing product! (sorry, guys, this is the first product that has really impressed me lately!) If you are hesitating, then don't. Just go and get it.

Without a doubt one of THE best makeup tools invented. I use this with Almay Clear Complection foundation and the end result is more natural and flawless than I ever thought possible. Totally brilliant!!!

on 6/17/2013 10:39:00 AM

The only reason I really didn't give this a 4/5 for overall rating is that I hate having to clean it so often. I never thought I would love a sponge applicator for my foundation, but this has really impressed me. The texture is silky smooth, and blends very nicely and does not absorb so much of the product like I would have imagined a sponge would. I normally use MAC #187 or Sephora's pro airbrush #55 to apply my foundation (MAC SFF or MAC Matchmaster) but I found that the beautyblender cuts down the time of application. I wouldn't say it applies BETTER than the #187 or Sephora #55, but it is JUST as good which I think is a lot considering it's a sponge. I dab on the foundation with my fingertip on my face first, then blend it out by lightly dabbing it with the beauty blender. Then I apply my concealer with my fingertip, and blend that out using the smaller pointed end (under eye, around the nose/mouth). I have to say, I am very thoroughly impressed and will definitely be purchasing it again.

on 6/14/2013 1:10:00 AM

I like this for heavier foundations. It blends it seamlessly with the skin and makes it not go on as thick. For lighter not as heavy products it doesn't work as well and you get almost no coverage. So it works with only some products.

on 6/10/2013 2:44:00 PM

I love this product, it makes the application of foundation so much quicker ans easier than using your fingers and so much less mess. It allows foundations to look flawless on your skin and makes you skin feel hydrated.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools