December 19, 2014 | 1564 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2012 11:54:00 PM More reviews by kykila

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I love coconut oil. It took me a while to find the Cold-processed Organic Virgin Coconut Oil because a health store was not close by but i actually found a tub at Bulk Barn. It was pretty expensive but has been lasting for more then 3 months now.

I use it for all sort of skin ailments. First of all its the best diaper cream for babies bums. All natural and cloth diaper safe. Really gets rid of rashes very fast.
Summer sun is getting hot and I've been burned a few times but coconut oil really works to soothe my skin and repair the damage. It works really great on insect bites. Just rub it on right away and i had no itchings untill i had to use it again maybe only 2-3 a day. The store brand creams with anti-histamines never seemed to work but coconut oil, wow i'm a convert.

The only thing that i haven't really seen any improvement with is my face. I'll stick with jojoba oil for that.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2012 11:34:00 PM More reviews by pinkcandii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

WARNING / CAUTION: Coconut oil is often advertised and used as a TANNING OIL also. So for fair pale girls who try to remain not-tan, use with caution in the day time (or use HEAVY sunscreen). After only a month of using it in the winter month of January, my face is 3-4 shades darker than my hands (which is more of a NC-15).

Coconut oil as a HAIR OIL treatment:

By slathering coconut oil on my scalp and tip ends has helped improved my dry, brittle hay-like hair to a shiny soft texture. I completed this treatment with a plain egg yolk and clear wrap to keep it in my hair for 30 minutes (or until I remember to wash it out).

While coconut oil requires extra preparation (it is solid at room temperature, you need to heat it up for it to liquidize), it is nutritious for those with dry scalp (no more dry scalp flakes - no, not dandruff - after one use). Note, the little that accidentally got onto my forehead caused a batch of acne, so be careful if you have dry sensitive acne skin like me.

Coconut oil as a BODY OIL:

For hygienic reasons and ease of use, I have the solid coconut oil shaped into a ball and use it like a bar of soap - rubbing it directly onto my skin. This way I don't have to worry about double dipping, melting the oil, or spilling it everywhere. Simply use a ice cream scoop and scoop out little balls of coconut oil.

It has been super moisturizing on my dry, cracked calves. I have not noticed a difference on my stretch marks but I will continue to monitor them and see if there are any fading effects.

FYI THE OIL STAINS WHITE TOWELS to a light tea brown shade IF there is still a slightest layer of oil on your skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/27/2012 8:48:00 PM More reviews by BCP

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm one of those people that can't put anything on my face without breaking out or having a bad irritation.
Coconut Oil when it's organic has helped heal my skin, I didn't apply it for a few days and broke out just like I used to, it's anti bacterial and could honestly do nothing bad for you.
It has cleared my skin, made it more supple and have smaller pores
although it is an oil, like a cooking oil and the 'packaging' isn't good
it's melting point is 24 degrees celsius so if you live somewhere hot it'll be a liquid almost always if not, kind of jelly. If you live somewhere medium-cool temp its a solid and it's hard to get out of the container but once you work it into your fingers it glides on.
It's also a little expensive, where I live a medium sized container cost me $20 CAD, but this will last me a long time as I use it as a hair mask once a week ish and twice a day on my face, a little goes a long way

try coconut oil if you want help to clear acne, scars, skin texture, moisture loss, dehydration and everything else.

edit: changing from 5 to 2 because I have never had such bad skin in my life since continuing use of this, I'd say to use it more as a treatment instead of a moisturizer.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2012 3:56:00 PM More reviews by ContagiousSound

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think this is great :) it is very versatile; skin moisturizer, scalp conditioner, and pretty good to cook with or so I've heard.

I use this on my legs because in winter they get very dry! If you are going to use it on skin, you really need to dilute it, either with a moisturizer or a lighter oil such as almond oil for arms and legs. I wouldn't recommend it for the face because it leaves a very slick layer and may break you out.

For the hair with a light oil such as almond oil. Best not to use coconut oil straight up on it's own, it is a very heavy thick oil. But sometimes I don't dilute because I get lazy haha. It makes your hair feel very silky and moisturized! My boyfriend loves playing with my hair after I use it. Although it does take 2-3 washes to get it out, but I think it's worth it. I use this 1 every fortnight, I don't get much time to indulge myself :(.

Price:varies, I got mine for AU$15, 550g

Packing: varies
Buy again: YUP :)
Always dilute, try not to use it straight because it is oily, thick and cakey/heavy

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2012 5:29:00 AM More reviews by kerriki

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is one of several oils I have used for thirty years to luxuriously moisturise, smooth, and condition my skin. It gets rid of any poor tone, dryness and milia (goosebumps) on the arms and legs caused by a lack of fatty acids in the diet and body. It is completely innocuous regarding reactions and allergies compared to the multi-chemical potions peddled by the mega-cosmeti-cos. The extra-virgin stuff, usually from an emerging economy that needs support from the wealthy west, smells like some erotic potion. Dig your fingers into a wide-topped jar costing about five dollars and experience indulgent beauty.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2012 4:51:00 AM More reviews by trishapats

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this. after going through a phase of using all natural products i read up on this and it seemed like a perfect moisturiser. Sadly this did not agree with my face. For the first day coconut oil was amazing and then it went downhill.
i reacted horribly and i still have red marks on my jaw from it. i tried everything, using a little amount, wiping off with a damp cloth instead of rinsing and nothing worked. after 3 weeks of using it i gave up. If it works for you then great, but if it doesn't like me then i guess its not the end of the world as its not expensive.

BUT i still use coconut oil in my hair and have been doing so since i was 14. i leave it in overnight and wash it out in the morning, and my hair is nice, soft and moisturised.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2012 9:46:00 PM More reviews by frckls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Well yeah it's not the most pleasant smell and sure is greasy. But boy does it deliver!
I used to use this for my hair, since I always used to blow-dry it. I would smear it all over my hair, wrap it in a towel, and sleep on it, and wash my hair in the morning, more or less every other day. It seriously made my hair shiny, manageable, and strong and soft.
The only reason I stopped using this is since I moved to the Netherlands, my hair's limp and soft already, I'm afraid using it would make it more flat.
But since South-East Asian old ladies used to smear their kids head with it, and the one who were lucky enough to have her mom/grandmom to do that has the most (oh God, here we go) thick, luscious, bodied, shiny, soft, and strong hair I have ever seen. Our mom were too busy, thus our not so gorgeous hair.
I also used to use this to clean my makeup and it even took off the nastiest mascara and eyeliner. It's just that now I'm so spoiled with the nice-smelling makeup remover.

No need for fancy packaging, as long as it is stored in a sturdy, well-shut glass jar/bottle. Just not so practical for storage.

I think I should go to the Asian store tomorrow to get this again.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/20/2012 9:23:00 PM More reviews by AmandaHennick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Other, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Very conditioning but jsut make sure you dont put too much near your roots

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2012 8:47:00 PM More reviews by julierockhead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use extra virgin organic coconut oil on my hair. It is the only oil proven to absorb into the cortex of the hair and prevent protein loss. I have found it to be very conditioning on the hair, and wonderful for the scalp. Often the best beauty treatments have been around for ages, and are very inexpensive.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2012 2:27:00 PM More reviews by NishaDS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Coconut Oil is a true godsend.

I have been using this stuff since I was born. My Mum used to rub it into my hair and I have been using it regularly for most of my life. It is the reason I have healthy hair and nails.

Coconut oil tends to solidify so I usually put it in a bowl to float in a larger bowl of warm water. This warms up the oil gently and is perfect for rubbing in. I rub the oil into my hair and scalp and wrap it up in a towel for 30 mins or even overnight. This treatment makes my scalp healthy and my hair strong and glossy. It is incredible.

I also rub this into my nails and it keep my cuticles soft and nails strong. Coconut oil is also great for dry skin patches on elbows and knees.

This is really cheap in South Asian grocery stores which is where I always buy it.

Coconut oil is one of nature's gifts to us. Definitely give it a try!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No