September 23, 2014 | 1636 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED Basics

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2013 2:33:00 PM More reviews by pinkchopstix13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I absolutely adore this little palette! I have Naked 1&2 and am a real UD fanatic so it was a given that I would pick up this little gem. 5 out of the 6 shades are matte; the only one that is a shimmery/pearlish shade is Venus. I think all of the matte shades make it a nice complement to the larger Naked palettes which are predominately shimmery shades. These shadows are soft, buttery and incredibly blendable. I have been playing with this palette all week and have received tons of compliments. I love each color but the real stand-outs to me are Venus, Naked 2 and Faint. Gorgeous!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/9/2013 6:11:00 PM More reviews by GuysCallMeShawna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I love Naked 1&2 equally. This palette was a huge disappointment.

I was at ULTA today and checked it out. I already have Foxy in Naked 2 along with a back up single;and WOS came with my six palette. WOS pink tones don't show up on my NC10 skin so It doesn't look much different than Foxy which seems more opaque on me.

The standouts in this palette I will buy when they become singles are Naked 2 and Venus. They are buttery soft goodness. Venus is a beautiful creamy white sheen(why can't we have more sheens?) and naked 2 is a matte greige-taupe. the two darkest colors in the palette had the texture of ashes. Both very sooty looking and feeling.

I don't want the palette. It's about the size of a cell phone but, I don't want the added bulk in my M/U bag just for two colors. Oh, I had a hard time opening the palette

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2013 9:18:00 PM More reviews by AntiqueGlitter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Like its sisters, Naked and Naked 2, Naked Basics is a promising palette. It includes 6 eyeshadows, 5 of which are matte. The texture is very smooth and finely-milled. It applies evenly and smoothly with good pigmentation, and it lasts pretty long by itself, but the wear time isn't the best. To achieve that, you need to wear UDPP underneath.
Below, I listed all the shades with their color description and pigmentation level in addition to comparisons to the other Naked palettes and personal notes, when applicable.
From left to right:
-Venus: Satin cream (excellent pigmentation) (similar but more yellow than Naked's Virgin and Naked 2's Bootycall)
-Foxy: Matte warm ivory (excellent pigmentation) (included in Naked 2)
-W.O.S (Walk of Shame): Matte neutral ivory (excellent pigmentation) (included in UD empty eyeshadow palettes)
-Naked 2: Matte light taupe (excellent pigmentation) (similar but more cool than Naked's Naked) (I can use this to contour my face)
-Faint: Matte cool-toned medium brown (excellent pigmentation) (similar to Naked's Buck)
-Crave: Black with brown undertones (excellent pigmentation) (incredibly similar to Naked 2's Blackout--the two are pretty much indistinguishable--except Blackout is a true black, with gray undertones)
Although there's nothing wrong with the formulation and quality of these shades, it's the COLORS that made me lower the rating. The shade selection is very disappointing. Although they look totally different in the pan, Foxy and W.O.S look far too similar on my NC35 skintone--they're indistinguishable! Also, since my skintone isn't that fair to begin with, this palette basically comes with 3 highlight shades, all of which I already have similar shades in my MAC eyeshadow collection and Naked palettes, and 3 other very UN-unique shades (all of which I already own similar shades, again).
Also, I also lowered the rating because of its size. This palette is tiny! It fits in the palm of my hand, and it's barely larger than an iPhone (half the size of a Naked palette)! C'mon, Urban Decay--I know you're expensive, but for this size, $27 is kind of overpriced!
I only recommend this palette if you frequently wear matte eyeshadows and if you don't own the Naked or Naked 2 palette (or other matte eyeshadows).
Otherwise, it's not worth it, in my opinion.
Would I repurchase? No.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2013 8:55:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't know why I always expect matte shadows to be dry and hard and chalky... it's some strange misconception on my part. Doesn't matter the brand, I always think I'm going to be scraping into it with a brush. Random. Anyway, I love this little palette. The shadows are really soft and powdery, easy to apply, and the pigmentation is good. It's a nice range of wear-anytime mattes in mostly neutral colors. I have trouble with a lot of browns and purportedly "neutral" crease shades because I'm cool toned, which equals tired and dingy on my skin. These work well on me and I like that the darker shades double as eyeliner.

None of the shades seem to overpower my pale skin and there's a lot of versatility here, both on it's own and paired with outside shadows. Great for travel, nice sleek and secure packaging. I liked the other UD Naked palettes quite a bit but this one's so simple and basic and appealing that I can't see anyone going wrong with it, whether you have a huge stash or not. I rarely wear solely matte shadows but I've been having fun using this and going for an entirely matte look on my eyes.

I hope they keep putting more palettes like this out!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2013 8:02:00 PM More reviews by missessaintclaire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this!
My only complaint is that this is really hard to open if you have very short nails! I have really small nail beds and they're currently super weak from having acrylics on for 4 months so I have to get my husband to open it for me.
But otherwise this is fantastic. I live in New Zealand so I purchase all of my UD from beautybay.com, its fairly well priced compared to other high end make up we have in NZ and it worked out to be about half the price of the naked an naked2 palettes.
As everyone knows UD eyeshadows are GREAT quaility, all these colours work very very well with my NW15 complexion.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by simpledom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just received my Naked basics and I love it. It's all matte compared to the other two Nakes palettes. Very pigmented. I found that's a little bit pricey but if you buy dupes individually you will spend more money instead of just the one palette. That is a definitely must have!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2013 11:58:00 PM More reviews by shelbysahara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

UD has done it again! Venus is my new go to shadow for an every day look. Naked 2 is perfect for adding depth to the crease. These are the only mattes that don't look/feel chalky. Urban Decay just makes the dreamiest eye shadows!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2013 4:37:00 PM More reviews by lalaland

I can honestly say I use this palette more than any other eye product I have (except for primer). I know there is controversy about it (probably mentioned in several reviews). Yes, I do not care for the redundancy in light colors, definitely di not have to have bot W.O.S and Foxy but I still use them all everyday. I use Venus sparingly because I prefer matte highlight colors under the brow, it however is pretty nice at the corner and under the bottom lash line. Foxy is okay and blends in nicely, although somewhat dry. W.O.S. is nice in conjunction with Foxy even though similar as I transition it between my transition color (yes I transition between the brow and the transition color lol, I have too much space). Naked2 is my absolute favorite and honestly why I knew the palette would work for me. The fist Naked palette was too warm for me. Warmth in colors shows up on me to the extreme. So while many like MAC Soft Brown, Kid or Texture to transition, I like colors like Omega. Naked2 is definitely in the Omega family and I adore it. It blends perfectly into my skin and does not add extra orange or redness that I don't want there. Faint is also a very nice everyday brown, which I strangely do not really have. It is not too dark or too light and is nice and smooth. Crave is like Foxy in texture in my opionion, a little dry, but I still enjoy having it in the palette and use it to darken up my looks. I can and do use this palette alone but it works well with everything I have. I pretty much keep it close and open it when I am doing my makeup. Very convenient and I am thrilled with it. I would like UD to create a true matte taupe, that would have been awesome but maybe they will one day.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2013 7:41:00 AM More reviews by tstgirl

If you already own a lot of neutral matte shadows or you do not like cool neutrals, this may not be for you. This palette to me is a complimentary palette for the naked 1&2, even in the size of the compact, i think UD's intention was to compliment the two naked palettes. I think you could definitely used this alone but to some it may be a bit blah. I love my naked 1&2, i love all the shimmery shades but i like using a matte shade for the crease. I dont own a lot of mac matte shadows as i find a lot of them hit or miss but i know UD mattte shadows are soft and pigmented so i really appreciate this palette. The only con about this is that its more cool toned which i personally dont mind because i prefer cool tone browns anyway but for those who prefer warm tones might not like this palette.

I love the packaging. It feels like nars rubberized exterior but because it light color, i dont get this dirty as much as the black nars packaging. It is also a nit difficult to open but that's just a minor flaw.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 11:06:00 AM More reviews by Kori3307

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I adore Urban Decay products...you all may know the Naked palette and the Naked 2 palette... This Basic palette recently released is fantastic! I used it for a straight week to make sure I approved of it, and my makeup looked flawless! Great for traveling; small and compact, and great for every day use! It allows you to create a day look, and even darken it up for a night look! I recommend this palette to anyone who is just starting out with makeup, or just anyone who is a fan of Urban Decay! In my eyes, you will not be disappointed!
Hope this helps!