Retin A

4.1

Retin A Cream Each g of cream contains: tretinoin 0.01%, 0.025%, 0.05% or 0.1% in a bland, hydrophilic base. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, isopropyl myristate, polyoxyl (40) stearate, purified water, sorbic acid, stearic acid, stearyl alcohol and xanthan gum. Retin A Gel Each g of gel contains: tretinoin 0.01% or 0.025%. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, ethanol undenatured and hydroxypropyl cellulose. Retin-A Liquid (0.05% Tretinoin w/w) polyethylene glycol 400, butylated hydroxytoluene and alcohol (denatured with tert-butyl alcohol and brucine sulfate) 55%

on 6/7/2009 9:25:00 AM

I have been using retin a gel for over 2 years now to try to combat my adult acne (of course getting closer to 30 I’m hoping it will prevent some wrinkles too). I started with the .01% gel and I buffered it every other night. Over time I slowly worked up to applying it every night un-buffered. I have tried a few times to move up to the .025% gel, but each time my skin would get too dry or irritated. I have realized that less is more when it comes to many skincare products. It took me a long time (maybe 6-8 months) to see significant results, but it was totally worth it. Now my acne is under control and I have noticed significant fading in many of my sunspots.

Pros:
-significant research to back up its safety and effectiveness.
-it does what it is supposed to do
-covered by insurance, for me this is the cheapest, yet most effective part of my routine
-eliminated the need for many other treatment products, has greatly simplified my routine.
Cons:
-can be challenging in the beginning to find the routine that works for you
-sun sensitivity, and thus the irritating process of finding a decent sunscreen

on 6/4/2009 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

While growing up, I never suffered with acne. It was only after I hit my 20s, that I began suffering with adult onset acne. There were several factors that played into such. I developed adult acne that had to do with my wearing heavy makeup on my face most of the time. Many days, I would keep my makeup on well over 9 hours on my face. And, I didn't have a set skincare regimen at all at that time. So, I eventually ended up going to see a dermatologist who began treating my skin, and started having me get facial peels (glycolic and salicylic). I was also at one time given a prescription for an antibiotic pill to take that was supposed to help with clearing up my acne, and after taking it for the first time, it really upset my stomach. So, I decided against ever going that route again. The dermatologist had me using Differin gel, along with using a cleanser that he had recommended for me to use to wash my face with twice a day, and a sunscreen lotion that he had recommended that I use every morning.

Unfortunately, the sunscreen lotion broke me out after first use. So, I stopped using it. And, I would just wash my face twice a day, and then apply the Differing gel nightly. My skin kept getting better and better until finally, my skin had become totally clear.

I eventually stopped going to the dermatologist. However, after a period of time after that i began to then start going through the cycle of breaking out all over again. So, one day, during a visit to my primary care doctor, I discussed with him about my acne, and he recommended my trying Retin-A at that time. I said okay. I started off with the 0.025 Retin-A Gel, which is very drying due to it having alcohol in it. My first couple of months using this product was the worst. I would find myself having to use thick creams on my face to moisturize it with, as it would stay so dry. I had lots of redness, flaking, and my face would feel really sore. And, my eye area had become dry and irritated as well.

I then was later prescribed the same strength but in cream version. I used that for a while. Then, I went back to using the gel version again. However, I decided that it would be best to stick with the cream version instead. Even though the gel version is most recommended for use when you have combination/oily skin like mines, I noticed it caused a whole lot more dryness and flakiness, and irritation to my face than the cream version does.

Even though I have been using Retin-A for several years (7+), I still was getting the dryness, irritation, and redness to my face. The side effects never went away. With Retin A, I honestly don't think they ever do. Retin-A did have my skin looking great for an extended period of time, however, there got to a point in which I started to see my stin start to regress, more and more. I started seeing my pores becoming enlarged and i started getting areas of hyperpigmentation on my face, as well as blackheads were starting to emerge on my face again. I decided to go back to my original dermatologist, and he has me using Epiduo instead. Epiduo did help with my acne, but the longer I stayed on it the more irritated, red, and incredibly sun sensitive my skin became. Therefore, after consulting with my dermatologist's office over these ongoing issues that I was having with Epiduo, I ended up being put on Differin Gel 0.3 %. I had originally used Differin Gel 0.1% when it very first came out, and loved the way it kept my skin clear, so Differin is what I plan to stick with (hopefully for as long as I can). Currently, when it comes to what I use to cleanse my face, I use either Olay's Sensitive Skin Facial Wash, Cetaphil's Gentle Skin Cleanser, or Cerave's Foaming Face Wash to wash my face with. I apply my topical acne medication at night. I apply the fade cream that I buy from my dermatologist's office to my areas of hyperpigmentation only at night. I apply Cordran SP, which I was given samples of to help with dryness, irritation, and flaking. And, I moisturize my face only during the day as needed (I don't have one particular brand that I stick to, as I rotate between moisturizers that I like). I also am cautious of how much sun exposure I get as well. I am unable to use lotions or creams that have sunblock or sunscreen in them at all on a daily basis, as they clog my pores badly and actually promote acne for me. Plus, I did ask while I was in the dermatologist office, if I needed to wear sunscreen. I was told, I can if I want to, but that it's not totally necessary. Which is why, I only use sun protection, when I plan on being outside for a longer period of time than usual.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I am 25 and have struggled with acne for over ten years. This product has changed my life! While my skin is skill not perfect (I always have a few small pimples, and breakouts on my chest and back), the rampant cystic acne on my face has completely healed. This was the last stop on the way to Accutane- so I am so lucky I had a new dermatologist that thought to prescribed this.

I urge anyone that has not tried this for acne, to do so. I just got a compliment on my skin from someone I hadn't seen in awhile, and who noticed the change. Let me tell you, it feels amazing!

on 5/14/2009 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I am in my early 30's and I figured it was about time for me to start on some sort of anti-aging/preventive treatment. I was looking for something that will give me results....please don't waste my time... products! I read about Retinol and the reviews on MUA were good enough for me to give it a shot. I asked my dr. for the lowest strength cream and she prescribed the HIGHEST strength (0.1%) stuff. I have Asian skin so it could tolerate it, i guess. But the first few weeks my skin was like a torn-up drive-way! Lol!! It was flaky, patchy, red and SO sensitive. Even the make-up brushes irritated me, big time. But all of sudden I woke up one morning and it was like wow! Smooth,soft, clean, clear. I am not going to brag about this too much because I don't want to jinx it...this is the best $10 (if your insurance pays for it) you will ever spend. If you could live thru the disastrous few weeks. The only downfall is...you may start to look forward to rainy, cloudy days as sunscreen is NOT optional when you are using this stuff.

on 5/10/2009 5:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have been using Retin-A 0.25% perscribed by my doctor for 5 weeks now, I have awful cystic acne on my face. I have tried various products, BHA, AHA, BP etc and nothing has really helped. Retin-A has been a miracle. My skin is not 100% clear but the improvement in just 5 weeks is brilliant. My jawline acne has cleared up, I actually look like I have lost weight as my jawline was so cystic it made me look swollen. My face is smoother and softer. It did make me worse for a couple of weeks and I still have plently of red marks, some scaring and blocked pores, blackheads and small pimples etc but I am happy with the results so far, I am going to carrying on using it and hope for more improvement.

on 5/8/2009 10:58:00 PM

I'm 52, and I'd say this is the best thing for aging skin...hands down.

I get my Retin from Skin Actives.com. You can get a test tube of the stuff and make it as strong as you like. The cost is great too. They say it works well with Vit C (they work synergistically) so I also get the Ascorbic Acid from Skin Actives too and make my own. I love that site, it lets me control what I'm actually making and putting on my skin.

I got this for the unbelievable price of $4. I live in Europe and my dad is a veterinarian, so I had him order a tube of Retin-A for me through the pharmaceutical company. They donīt ask for prescriptions and we get a very nice discount.

I had ordered the 0.025% strength, but they sent ut 0.05% instead. After my previous use of at-home chemical peels (TCA 12.5%, Glycolic 40%, Lactic 60%) I was still nervous about my skin getting red, dry or flaky. I started off with a sample of green cream level 9 which I experienced no irritatation with. Then I started using the Retin-A, at first every 2-3 days, and after only 10 days Iīm at daily application.
I only had some minor flaking on my chin (seriously, I got the same flaking from my low % glycolic acid serum!) and my skin feels more sensitive....like when I use a powder brush thatīs a bit scruffy. So I`m just a little more careful with my brushes.

After only 2 weeks the hyperpigmentation on my face (from past mild acne) is fading with almost every application! My skin is so smooth and soft, not a hint of dryness. My skintone seems more even, and has a glow to it that I have never seen before. I plan to keep on using this (less frequently then) after I have achieved my desired results. I`m 24 so I want an anti-ageing treatment that actually works!

I understand that my results considering the lack of side effects I experienced are NOT typical. I am beyond surprised about this myself. I hear that the side effects donīt appear right away, but after two weeks and the recent daily application the side effects should have been here already...but theyīre not.

This is the very best $4 I have ever spent! lol

on 4/21/2009 3:58:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I will preface by saying I have pretty bad acne. i'm 18 and I have been struggling with it since I was 11. The only thing ever to have managed to keep it at bay is Retin-A. If I were going to a desert island and could only take one thing for my acne it would be this, hands down.

Its not too expensive, especially because I can sometimes get it on prescription. In general the effects are good for acne scars and acne of any type. I would say you need a good thick moisturizer, to keep your skin in balance (I use a generic brand from the pharmacy every two-three days as a mask at night). But unlike other anti-acne products (ie. benzoyl peroxide products) it does not dry out your skin and make it flaky.

I have been using Retin-A for over 4 years off and on and I have discovered the best way is to use a thin layer on your entire acne-prone area. then use a bit more for spot treatment. I would recommend using it only at night (it is quite sensitive to light) and then use a good oil-free moisturizer (i use clinique dramatically different moisturizer).

And as a side note, my mother uses Retin-A on her wrinkles and says it helps.

Hope this helped!

on 4/21/2009 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Nothing that I have ever bought for 10 dollars works this well. Sure, there is a copay ($15-25) but if you get about three refills you're set for a year. Make sure you get the generic and my review is only for the cream version but I have been using it for almost three months. After a huuuuge breakout from discontinuing Benzaclin and using titanium dioxide products, my skin had so many acne scars. I had never had such bad skin and even after the acne stopped flaring up, I couldn't make the scars go away just from using the aspirin mask anymore. I was prescribed the .025% formula and my skin did not experience much irritation (which is not common, so please be careful and space out the application at first which I did just to be careful). Now, the scars have greatly improved and there is a DEFINITE improvement in some very very mild wrinkling on my forehead. I am only 20, so the wrinkles were not deep, but it reaffirms that this is the only product on the market that will actually smooth wrinkles. I have just recently started using the aspirin mask along with this and the results are even better. I don't recommend people with sensitive skin to use both at the same time.

on 4/10/2009 9:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Type: Retin-A Cream .05%

What can I say about retin-a that people don't already know? As far as I am concerned, everyone over 30 who can tolerate this SHOULD be using it! This stuff totally rocks and is the best beauty treatment out there.
I have been using this a little over a month and I have already noticed great improvement in my skin.....pores smaller, skin glowing, smoother, healthier looking, fine lines are disappearing! I don't have any wrinkles at 38 and I plan on keeping it that way for as long as I can... With the help of retin-a, I have no doubt I will keep them at bay.......I should have started using this 8 years ago, but glad to have it in my arsenal now.....as long as my skin keeps tolerating this I wont ever be without.

For those who are thinking about using it.....don't think anymore, just do it!!!!! Time is a wasting and so is your skin:).......But I do recommend that a first time user think about trying an over the counter retinoid product for a few months prior to using the full strength retin-a. I used Green Cream Lv 3 and 6 for several months before trying retin....it truly prepped my skin for the use of retin-a and it is probably why I had very few issues starting out with using it on a nightly basis. But anyway, here is to beautiful skin!!!

Popular Treatments (Face)