Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 2/1/2007 2:48:00 PM

I bought a Costco 2-pack of this stuff, god, probably two years ago, and still haven't used up either of the jugs yet. It was purchased in hopes that it would be the HG cleanser for my oily, acne-prone skin. It is definitely not an HG for me - I'm guessing it probably is the perfect cleanser for girls with perfect skin. For the rest of us, I guess it's kind of okay.

PROS: Cleans okay. Leaves skin soft. Very gentle cleanser. Works well if you add a little baking soda for exfoliation.

CONS: Feels kind of residue-y. Does NOTHING to remove eye make-up, so I often wonder what else it leaves behind. Doesn't foam or anything, so it feels like rubbing runny lotion on your face (which is totally just a preference thing).

I turn to this usually if I'm not wearing any make-up and just nead a no-frills face wash, or if I have some kind of irritation on my skin. Overall, it's okay and I use it (as opposed to tossing it), but it's just not the best solution for me.

on 1/31/2007 1:12:00 PM

This is a great cleanser for normal to dry skin. My skin is more normal, but love using this in winter especially. I don't use it in summer when I get a bit more oil to my nose & forehead, but still use it a couple times a week with baking soda as a great facial scrub. I had tried this in my 20's when I had more oil and more breakouts and it didn't work for me then. I'm glad I gave it a second try in my late 30's. It never irritates and my skin feels great afterwards without tightening up too quick before I can get my moisturizer on. I also would rather have a pump for this, but will just wash out the pump that came with the Cetaphil moisturizer and use it with my cleanser.

on 1/31/2007 10:31:00 AM

In my mind, this and Purpose cleanser are the two really basic cleansers (basic being a positive attribute here). I bought this when I moved into my apartment because it was a better value than Purpose, but I still have Purpose at my parents' house, and I now find that I am always really happy to use the Purpose when I'm there for holidays because I like it so much better than Cetaphil. Cetaphil isn't bad, but it doesn't lather very well for me (maybe it's not supposed to?), and it doesn't leave my skin feeling really clean or refreshed, although I'm guessing it must be clean. I also don't like the packaging. I'd rather just use a pump than pick this bottle up and turn it upside down and gently squeeze the product out. No breakouts or real problems with it, and I will definitely use it up, which will take forever, but after that I won't buy Cetaphil again.

I strayed from Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser, which was the best cleanser I've ever used. Just wanted to try something new, too bad this Cetaphil is not suitable for my skin.. I have combination to oily skin, with acne problems.. And this cleanser kinda worsen my acne problems, especially on my forehead and cheeks. I never have problems with my cheeks before, so maybe this cleanser isn't really for me. I've tried using this for about a month, and there's no sign of improvement.. For those who haven't had luck with any cleanser, I suggest try Neutrogena EGC...I hope it works!

on 1/30/2007 8:44:00 AM

I wasn't sure how this product would work for my conmbination skin. I tried it several years ago and didn't like it at the time but now, my skin is changing and seems a little drier than when I was younger. So i gave it another shot, and I am very happy that I did! My skin felt very "comfortable" after washing with Cetaphil, not tight or dried out. I use it in the morning (when I am not wearing any makeup) and am very pleased so far. I recommend it!

on 1/30/2007 3:47:00 AM

I love this cleanser! I started using it when I was on Accutane (my derm recommended it), and have continued since then. It takes off all my makeup (including lots of eye makeup) and leaves my face clean, without feeling dried out. I used much more expensive products before, but adore this one. I think users who feel like it leaves their skin not totally "clean" are just used to more drying products. Also, it's super cheap -- definitely worth trying.

on 1/30/2007 1:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I heard this product was good on people who have acne, so I tried it. I was still getting pimples, the scent of the product is ok.

on 1/29/2007 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is my HG product for the face (sorry, overused phrase I know). I can't go without it. for my Retin-A treated, acne-prone but potentially dry skin, I have to use it! If I use ANY other cleanser, I either break out or my skin becomes cracked and dry again. So in a sense I have a sense of relief for the end of the road in cleanser experimentation. This evens out reactive skin like nothing else, and I can't figure out why-- the ingredients list is nothing special. If you're curious, get past the non-stripped feeling-- that's comfortable skin you have after using Cetaphil, and it will remove your makeup very well.

on 1/29/2007 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

A must have, especially in the winter. Doesn't dry out my super sensitive acne/clog prone skin. But cleans all the oil and dirt off my face. Never tried it for makeup removal, I've been using DHC deep cleansing oil as of late for that and its been working amazingly well, before that ponds cold cream which also works well. I can't live without having this in my bathroom for when my skin is on the dry side.

on 1/27/2007 12:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

The reason I am giving this product a five, is that it really works and does not dry my skin out. I'm one of those people with a sensitive, triple-dry skin, and I have to be really careful about my skin-care routine.
This cleanser is a find - I read about in Paula Beguon's web site, and had to order it on-line from the U.K, since it's not available in my country... But it's worth every cent!! You Americans are so blessed to have this available at every corner!
It's true it does not remove the make-up very well, but that's because it is so gentle. To take off my m/u, I use extra virgin olive oil in a cotton pad, and it works very well. Then i just wash my face with Cetaphil and splash with tepid water. And I love the gentle sense of cleanliness it gives me. It's amazing that no fancy cosmetic company has come up with a similar version of this or even a remotely close one..

Video Reviews & Tutorials