Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 2/23/2007 10:28:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

since i've given this cleanser more than enough tries, i thought it would be wrong NOT to publicly review this cleanser.

this cleanser really is suited to people who's skin is on the drier side, or to those who don't really breakout from their skincare products.

since my skin care regimen is complete and efficient, for some reason i thought that maybe i could downgrade my morning routine by using a more gentle cleanser. i picked up cetaphil for maybe the fourth time in my life, and this is also about the fourth time in my life than i have been disappointed.

i don't think any ingredients in this cleanser actually makes my skin break out, but i think it's the fact that it doesn't clean well ENOUGH that my pores become clogged. i'm going to continue to my alpha hydrox AHA nourishing cleanser, and MAYBE... maybe give cetaphil another try when i get older and my skin stops breaking out. i really wish they galderma would make a cleanser with the mildness of cetaphil but just did a better job of cleansing the skin. oh well.

on 2/22/2007 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I use this as a facial cleanser in the morning, so I'm not trying to wash off make-up. I've been using it for years and keeps my skin moist. I put it directly on my face w/ no water. It's very gentle. Sometime I mix a little scrub in to get off the dead cells.

In fact, I wash my baby's skin with it also. Its great b/c if it doesn't all get rinsed off, it's not a big deal.

on 2/21/2007 3:51:00 PM

I finally realized the correct way to use this product. In the past I had mixed it with water or put water on my face before putting it on. Definitely NOT the way to do it. So, I had always thought it didn't work. The directions on the bottle say to put it on, then either use water to rinse off or wipe with a dry cloth. This has worked wonders this winter on my face...it's not tight, red, or blotchy after washing. I agree that it doesn't remove foundation as well as I'd like, but I have pared down my routine. I also just saw another review further down that says she mixes baking soda with this...I might try it. I agree that the generics aren't the same.

on 2/19/2007 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I have extremely dry skin and always return to this cleanser. I mix it with bliss labs' sensitive skin scrub once in a while to create a really gentle exfoliator. It's not my favorite cleanser (that would be the aloe-based Collective Well-Being), but I'll always have this on hand.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I kind of have very mixed feelings about this product. Cetaphil really helped me out when I was recovering from a bad burn and skin irritation due to a skin exfolitaing method. It was as gentle as could be to my super sensitive, burned skin. It felt great and left my skin smooth. This cleanser got my skin looking good again in record time. I was falling in love with Cetaphil. Okay, now for the bad news ;-) I kept using it even after my skin healed, since I know this is a Holy Grail Product-recommended by MUAers and celebrities alike. Note to Self: Forget about "Holy Grail Products." :) Anyway, once my skin returned to it's normal state: sensitive and slightly oily-it was Breakout City. I never had a facial cleanser break me out so badly. This stuff Is really excellent for burnt, dry or irritated skin. It is probably also great for people who use anything as drying as Accutane and such (Your derm can tell you better than me) or have naturally Very dry skin. Otherwise-No. So, I think this is a very good product for those who suffer (as I did for a while) from the above conditons but it's not for me when my skin is okay. I'm grateful it is on the market though, it really did help me when I needed it.

EDIT:Okay, I'm rethinking this. I would buy this product again if my skin changes or gets into "trouble". I'll just have to play it by ear. It is a good product, it just depends on how your skin feels at the particular time you may use it...and if it still needs it. You kind of need to feel your way around with this one and come to your own common sense conslusion..

on 2/17/2007 2:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I gotta say this is basiclly the only cleanser that works well with my skin! Every other cleanser leaves my skin feeling tight, gives a rash/red blotches, or breaks me out. This cleanser actually leaves it feeling good! Yes, it's true it doesn't take off makeup very well, so I try to use makeup that isn't hard to take off. To someone just using it for the first time it feels weird on your face, like washing your face with goop. However, I think it's great for sensitive, dry skin, and have not found anything that works better. AND, it doesn't break me out which is awesome. Another plus is it's never irritated my eyes (I hate when cleansers sting my eyes!).

One thing I wanted to mention though, another reviewer said they buy the generic version and it's the same thing...it's definitly NOT! I can't use the generic, it burns my face immediatly!! Very strange. Normally I always get the generic version of stuff cause I figure it's the same, but this is one product that you shouldn't do that with!

I absolutely love this cleanser! I used Cetaphil for about a year and then I decided to switch cleansers, just to try something new. What a mistake. My skin started to break out like crazy and I tried every cleanser known to man to try to make it better. From expensive to cheap, I tried it. Neutrogena, Mario Badescu, Clean and Clear, Clinique.... Finally I went back to Cetaphil and a week later, my skin was perfectly clear again.

I have no problems removing my make-up with this cleanser, even when I wear heavy eye make-up. The consistency is a little strange, but I believe this is the best cleanser on the market!

on 2/16/2007 9:47:00 PM

This is gentle but didn't take off my make up at all. I think it just cleans the surface and nothing more. Maybe it's great for those who don't wear any make up but this has no strength what so ever to clean my face completely.

on 2/16/2007 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I received a sample of this product & decided to try and It did the job of removing make-up however I'd prefer IF It foam when applied with water and my other concern is this product is "Dermatologist Recommended" but if you read the ingredients on the label it's pretty scary. I did a personal research on these ingredients and will not be buying this product. I'm sure there are much friendlier products out there.

purified water
methylparaben
propylparaben
butylparaben

on 2/15/2007 10:47:00 PM

i had high hopes for cetaphil but it causes my sensitive skin to itch and break out badly. i know so many people love it and i gave it another chance but it caused the same irritation. so, now i am stuck with this huge package of cetaphil i bought at costco.

Video Reviews & Tutorials