September 1, 2014 | 1915 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2006 1:34:00 PM More reviews by shybrwneyedgrl

I had been given this cleanser years ago when I was undergoing microdermabrasion treatments. I have used it on and off since then, depending on the current condition of my skin. I typically like to use an exfoliating or alpha hydroxy type cleanser, but when I became pregnant a few months ago, my skin became extremely sensitive, blotchy, irritated, and periodically broke out. I was also concerned about using harsh chemicals on my skin during my pregnancy. I decided to return to this cleanser, and my skin has been in a better condition since then. It has been soft, glowing, and smooth. I most likely will continue to use this until the end of my pregnancy in April. And it's worked so well that I may just continue to use it beyond that!!! Note: For the past year, I have used the Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing bar and the Cetaphil Moisturing Lotion. The cleansing bar is the only cleanser I have found that is gentle enough to remove my makeup without stripping and irritating my skin. And the lotion works wonderfully to calm and moisturize my skin during the night. Both have helped my skin tremendously. Maybe my testy skin just favors Cetaphil products!!! Also, I read that, if you mix this cleanser with an equal amount of baking soda and apply it to wet skin for a minute, it makes for a good at-home dermabrasion. Will have to try and update in the future!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/31/2006 11:19:00 AM More reviews by cristalle65

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I just don't have the right skin type for this cleanser, it does not remove any significant amount of oil, which I need. It did work great when I had a sunburn though.I think it is a good product, just not right for me, even when using it with a washcloth to exfoliate.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/31/2006 5:54:00 AM More reviews by pink_cosmos

I tried it once, didn't like it. Tried it again, and still didn't like it! Did nothing for my skin, which didn't improve while using this. Although there may be other contributory factors, my skin was actually pretty crap while I was using this. I have oily skin though, and this is designed for sensitive skin, so my advice would be to use what is designed for your skin, and don't just go by what other people use and like. I'm LOVING Orlane B21 purette, which has definitily improved my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2006 12:48:00 PM More reviews by plummiecat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this cleanser. It gently cleans my face without irritation and is fragrance free. My normal skin is left soft. I do use a separate eye make up remover as I do with all cleansers. The large bottle lasts forever and costs about $10.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/30/2006 10:59:00 AM More reviews by kahughes

This stuff is great if you have sensitive skin because it doesn't do anything! This cleanser hardly removes my make-up (especially mascara) and I'd say it's a little too gentle! My skin suddenly became incredibly sensitive to my usual Neutrogena cleansear that I have used forever, so I switched to this...I would definitely no buy this again. I have been using Aveeno foaming cleanser and I love it! Great for sensitive skin and takes off my make-up!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2006 8:26:00 PM More reviews by NettieMae

I have tried other facial cleansers, but I keep coming back to this. I have rosacea and am prone to breakouts, and this is the only thing that keeps my skin under control.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2006 4:03:00 PM More reviews by jrsmrs

I've been using Cetaphil (and identical no-name versions) for a few years now. I think it's a great basic, gentle cleanser that doesn't dry out my skin or leave it greasy either. It has only been since I started using Cetaphil that my skin's dryness and flakiness have finally all but disappeared. I also find it works great at removing my makeup- even mascara. FWIW, I do the wet method- apply to dry skin and give a good rub around with my fingers, even on my eyes to get rid of the eye makeup. Then use a hot wet cloth to remove. I rinse out the cloth and give it a final scrub to make sure it's all off and I'm done. Easy, peasy, basic and readily availably, affordable. Nothing fancy, but a great basic if you're that kind of girl (and I am!).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2006 2:28:00 PM More reviews by SaraLee2

This has got to be the worst stuff I've ever used. Just turned my face into a gooey mess. Couldn't even come close to removing my SS and the tiny bit of mu I had on. Tried it again in the morning (no mu) and it dried the crap out of my mostly oily skin. Felt very tight and uncomfortable. Gave it to my sons to try. Found it in the trash the next day. Good choice...

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2006 5:25:00 AM More reviews by chinasmom

i just started using this a few months ago..i was having such a hard time finding a cleanser that didn't strip my face but that didn't leave oily. i was constatly getting break outs when i had never really had problems with acne. my mom told me about cetaphil cause she has been using it regiliously for about 10 years..so i tried it. the first week i still had the same break outs..so i was starting to get disappointed. but i keep using it and sure enough..my pimples were fading and my skin was looking the best it had looked in a long time. i use it w/ water though..cause i did notice when i tried it with out and just tissued it off, it left my skin too greasy feeling. i still get the rare pimple every now and then but nothing like the 3 or 4 at the same like it was. now my skin is clear and everyone else seems to notice too. i've even gotten compliments from strangers about how clear and even my skin is!! needless to say..i'm defianly going to be using this product for a long time to come!!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2006 2:36:00 AM More reviews by spootoo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Like many of you, I don't like using Cetaphil on my face either, but it can be used for a couple of other things if you bought it but don't want to waste the bottle: My dermatologist recommended it for shaving (I get irritated follicles on my legs)--You may find that it isn't enough to shave with by itself, but I have used it under other shaving lotions for extra cushion(Kiss My Face shaves work great). I do use it alone for shaving sometimes as well, and I have noticed my shaved areas are less irritated.

Cetaphil also makes a good soap for a "sponge bath" if you are ever in need of a quick freshening up--since it doesn't lather up too much it is easy to sponge off. I really appreciated this after I had foot surgery and could not get my foot wet. Also good for hand washing if your hands are really dry. (If hands are super-dirty you may want to go ahead and use regular soap.)