January 30, 2015 | 1868 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2006 10:50:00 PM More reviews by maybeiloveyou

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Don't buy this if you wear any kind of makeup or have oily skin. IT WON'T DO ANYTHING. You'll just end up with massive breakouts from all your clogged pores. As a standalone moisturizer, it works decently, but I didn't use it for an extended period of time. I really wanted to like this product, but it's best for those with makeup-free, dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2006 9:21:00 PM More reviews by rihannsu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had to edit my original review, which was one star. I've gone back to using this cleanser, thinking maybe I didn't give it another chance to do its work.

I smear it on my eyes when I'm using Nivea's Gentle Cleansing Cream (more on that little gem to follow!) so the beads don't get to the skin around my eyes. And I keep a bottle at my boyfriend's house for all over cleaning.

It's doing what it's supposed to. It cleans and softens and I think I'm going to switch to it for my winter cleanser (I live in Texas, so "winter" is a relative term). ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2006 6:46:00 PM More reviews by sarahe5682

It's the cleanser I use when my skin is dry and/or sensitive. I have used it for years.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2006 7:13:00 AM More reviews by glorylight4ever

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Update: I think this product is best when your skin completely freaks out. I used this dry when my skin was hyper-sensitive, and found that it really helped.
A while back, my skin was broken out, blotchy, and oily, but also peeling and flaking, like dry skin. Everything I tried made my skin worse.
However, one night when I was too lazy to go to the bathroom to wash my face, I thought I would try this stuff dry. So I slathered it on my face and tissued it off. I went to sleep, and by the next morning, it had evened out my skin, and had alleviated the flaking and the panicked oil production. After about 2 days, I was almost back to normal.
This also helps me with mascara removal. While it doesn't get everything, it makes removal a lot easier. I lose eye lashes easily when washing. When I don't have eye makeup removing lotion, I wash and dry my eyes. Then I use Cetaphil dry and tissue it off. Finally, I rinse my eyes again to make sure I got everything I possibly could.
I have decided that using this every day isn't the best thing for my skin. I think this product works best if your skin is hyper sensitive (like mine was) and troubled. This is why I upped the lippies from 2 to 4.

After all the hype that this product has gotten, I was eager to try it, and I hoped I had found the answer to my sensitive skin woes. My skin fluctuates from dry to oily and breaks out and scars really easily. Unfortunately, I have seen no significant improvement in my skin after using those product for over a month.

Description: It is a semi-opaque whitish gel. It doesn't smell of anything. It does not lather at all (so for those of you who like lots of lather, this is not the cleanser for you). It does not always feel clean rinsing, sometimes I feel like there is a film left on my face. (The company does say that it is possible to use this product without water, and that you could just tissue it off and leave the film for moisturizing purposes.) I have found that this is gentle enough to clean around the eye area.

Pros: Lack of scent. Noncomedogenic. Very gentle. Did not dry out my skin.

Cons: It is a really weak cleanser. It is useless in getting makeup off, or excessive sweat and dirt. Even after washing and rinsing, I still feel dirty a lot. It didn't really do much for my acne, blackheads, or dry, flaky skin either. I don't think it aggravated it, but it didn't bring it under control either. I don't think it balanced my skin.

The packaging is also pretty crappy. I have seen giant bottles of these with a pump dispenser. My bottle is not one of these. It is a flip top bottle. It is not only possible to over dispense if the bottle is squeezed too much, but the packaging feels flimsy to me.

Verdict: While it did not aggravate my skin in any way, it did not do anything to improve it; I will not be repurchasing.

Ingredients:

continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2006 11:22:00 PM More reviews by dreamingangel

The price is okay for the amount you get, (hence the 2 lippies) although the bottle packaging wasn't too appealing - my husband thought that this was a sink / toilet cleaner as i left it beside the sink. anyway, on to the product review proper: i've tried this a few times - used on dry face, removed with tissues, and this leaves my face looking and feeling fairly good. i tried it on a wet face, and it didn't clean so well - my face felt slimey and unclean. so the next day, i tried again, on a dry face, wiped it off, and rinsed. this works better, but i seriously can't see how this works as a 'cleanser' ie one that cleans your face. and it does seem to contribute to clogged pores for me. I'll probably finish the entire bottle, (as a hand wash or something) but will not buy again. there are plenty of other good face washes for sensitive skin out there which doesn't dry up your skin either. EDIT: I'm not sure why the word 'gentle' is in its name. This STUNG my face!!!! ouch.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/8/2006 3:00:00 PM More reviews by seagoddess35

Sorry but both my oily skin daughter and my self clogged up. good for eye makeup remover i think.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2006 10:01:00 PM More reviews by Fitseed

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Well, this product is gentle on my skin, but the only way it will remove makeup is if I put it on my dry face, then take a wet cloth and wipe it off. I then follow this up with a "wet wash." It's okay, but there are other products I like better. Since it is reasonably priced, I probably will buy again. I use the moisturizer afterwards, and I think that is quite nice.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/6/2006 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Tybaltrk1

I am unsure what all the hype is about.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2006 2:14:00 PM More reviews by ambieof2001

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for nearly 12 years. I was first introduced to it by my Dermatologist for my eczema. Its great for the face when your skin is really dry or sensitive or when you start acne meds. I used then when I started Retin A Micro until my skin got used to the medicine. These days I use it as a hand wash. Its great on my super sensitive, eczema riddled hands. Since the 16 oz doesn't come with a pump (as it should), I take a pump from one of the 16oz Cetaphil lotions and it works perfectly. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2006 7:33:00 AM More reviews by sasha671

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This cleanser is the only one I use. And I have no skin issues. None. No dryness, no breakouts. Its the best!