October 2, 2014 | 1370 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 3 of 5 on 11/18/2006 9:52:00 PM More reviews by StephanieNKY

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have normal skin, and this product is okay, but I wear makeup, and there is still alot left on my face after I use this. My mom, who has dry skin, and who does not wear makeup always uses this. Well, actually, it's the EQUATE brand from Wal-Mart, and its the exact thing. I know all the derms sing the praises of Cetaphil, but I need a little more spunk out of a cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2006 1:04:00 PM More reviews by suggrr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is the same review I posted under the Cleansers -> Cetaphil -> Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser review:

Cetaphil seems to be the kind of product that a lot of people either love or hate. I frankly like it, though I'm not sure it would work for me as the only facial wash in my arsenal. Cetaphil is very smooth and buttery, so it should work for most skin types except the very oily and the very sensitive. I like that it doesn't lather up and get overly soapy, so I can open my eyes and take some time to get the rest of my morning lineup of products ready before rinsing it off.

I do have oily skin, so I don't use Cetaphil at night. However, I can use Cetaphil in the morning, followed by Clinique's level 3 toner, and be fine for at least 8 hours oil-wise. Cetaphil does feel like it leaves a little bit of something on your skin, but I'd like to believe that it's due to the product not stripping your skin as much as some cleansers do. Since I use toner after cleansing with Cetaphil, I can't say if Cetaphil by itself will make you break out. When I apply it, I rub it all over my face and sometimes leave it on for a few minutes. I then wash it off, though you can also wipe it off with a cloth or similar product.

My mom purchases a generic version of Cetaphil, and while she can't tell a difference in it, I can. It seems to be more harsh (perhaps more alcohol than real Cetaphil?) and not as smooth, so I don't like it and won't use it unless I'm at her place and I have nothing else. Generic is a cheaper alternative if you're not too sensitive and picky, though. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2006 12:28:00 PM More reviews by SuzieV

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I buy this product all the time - but not for me - for my baby! I use it as a body and hair wash for him! I have found that all the baby washes have way too many harmful drying chemicals and fragrance! This is perfect for babies! Highly recommended! By the way, for a face wash for me - this does not remove makeup so I don't use it on myself.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2006 7:58:00 AM More reviews by JessiDayle

Excellent cleanser! I have dry skin and most cleansers leave a stiff feeling in my face afterwards. This is creamy, moisturizing, and takes of all of my eye makeup without irritating my eyes! The only thing I would change is that they would offer this in a bottle with a pump. (maybe they do?) I highly recommend! (psst...the Wal-Mart dupe is identical, and much cheaper!)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2006 12:09:00 AM More reviews by DKER

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I give this such a low rating because it does not actually cleanse.....won't even remove plain powder completely, let alone sunscreen or sweat. It also caused breakouts for me....I tried to use it up on my body but it gave me breakouts there. Tried then to finish it using for shaving, and I got bumps on my legs from that!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2006 11:09:00 PM More reviews by foxyfroggy

this is the only thing that keeps my skin from breaking out without drying it out and giving me dry patches. p.s. if you think its too expensive walmart makes generic version

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2006 8:17:00 PM More reviews by Andrea2251

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product is excellent for sensitive skin. I absolutely love it. I am on Retin A Micro, which is making my skin very sensitive and irritated. This cleanser is like a treat for my face. It's very soothing to rub on. This is the cleanser that my dermatologist recommneded I use when I first got on Retin A. I've had no problems with it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2006 4:55:00 PM More reviews by Slj1964

If you have acne prone skin don't think you need a harsh cleanser, I have done that for years. I tried everything. It will generally aggravate it more. Get a Cetaphil gentle and Cetaphil for oily skin. Use the one for oily skin first or just in the evening and follow up with the Cetaphil Gentle after cleansing. It really does calm your skin. I have seen the reviews that it doesn't remove makeup well. That is true if you wear heavy makeup but you can resolve that by using the oily skin version first. It removes makeup very well. I went off of the Cetaphil due to running out and I paid for it with irrated , broken out skin. As far as the packaging goes , I think less is best.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2006 4:44:00 PM More reviews by kschmiddy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like this product okay, but I have oily, acne-prone skin so I usually have to whip it into shape with harsher products. Whenever my skin gets irritated for whatever reason, though, this is very soothing, very gentle, and has a unique formula. Is it more effective than other cleansers? Heck no, it's average there. Will it work if you really need gentle? Yup!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2006 9:16:00 PM More reviews by CrazyRussian

I tried this cleanser a year ago or so, like it a lot though my skin is combination. I made a mistake in the past by using really harsh cleansers, but not anymore - this one works just fine. I gave it four lippies because it doesn't remove my make up completely, so I have to use Cetaphil for oily skin in the evening, but I use the original one in the morning. And the price is very reasonable for the product of such a good quality.