July 26, 2014 | 1717 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 3 of 5 on 11/5/2006 4:05:00 PM More reviews by SGERBINE

Well I read about this on lhj.com and thought I would give it a try. I loved it through the first bottle, but I was on my second when I realized I had more junk in my pores than I have ever had before. I used this in conjunction with Neutrogena healthy defense moisturizer w/ spf 15 and it has salylic acid in it. It worked ok I guess...but still...too much junk in my pores. So, I switched to Origins face wash (didn't like it either). So basically I think this cleanser is average. Not too bad, but not that great either. It is pretty inexpensive though, so I was really excited about using it.
I'm acne prone and this prevented pimples, but didn't clear the dirt out of my pores. Its a really gentle cleanser.
Earlier this week I went to my hair stylist and she said she only uses cetaphil but she's older and has really good skin (from what I could tell). She also said that her doctor told her to use cetaphil w/ her daughter as a body cleanser when she was born.

Conclusion: if you have very mild acne or none at all this could work for you.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/4/2006 6:50:00 AM More reviews by ocicat

a very basic, nonfoaming cleanser. i would never use this alone because it seems to leave a film over my face. usually use it to clean my face of makeup before i use another foaming face wash to clean face again. but i dont use much makeup, and have since then found that a good cleanser should be able to do the job without the need for a pre-cleaner

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2006 1:48:00 PM More reviews by typicalgirls

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I always have to stuff on hand as a face wash. But I recently had a really bad eczema flare up accompanied with super dry skin. I used this how the the directions instructed on the labled. Applied a liberal amount and rubbed it off with a towel. The feeling is rather gooey and kind gross. But my skin still felt clean. I used it with conjunction with the cetaphil lotion, which is usually too light for me, but it really works. So far my eczema has healed faster and my skin is starting to feel soft like a normal persons!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2006 11:57:00 AM More reviews by AnnetteWright

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I alternate products a lot, a few different ones in the shower, and also by the sink. I always have Cetaphil (or a generic version around.) I don't wear lots of makeup, so it removes mine fine. My skin always feels soft and supple after using it, and I get no irritation from it. There is no perfumey scent, and the texture is soft and creamy, and washes clean.Great for dry sensitive skin like mine. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2006 1:43:00 AM More reviews by pinkieswear

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This must sound like a broken record, but I've tried almost everything on the market. From ProActive, to The Body Shop's Tea Tree line, to Neutrogena, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Clean&Clear, Clearasil, Rice cleanser from Bath&Body works...I shouldnt go on. I've used it all. I have oily, but sensitive skin. Since having my kids my skin just wont calm down for anything. The past two years I've been using it all, with no luck at all. I just kept breaking out. I started using this almost 2 weeks ago and I can't beleive how clear my skin looks already. I use this along with some benzoyl peroxide, and Olay moisturizer. All 3 products I love, and I think I'll be using this stuff for the rest of my life.
Cetaphil saved my sanity, and my skin for sure!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2006 8:20:00 PM More reviews by MELED

I think people either REALLY LOVE or REALLY HATE this cleanser. I personally have normal to combination sensitive skin and for me, it does a great job of gently cleansing without leaving any residue or drying me out, which is what a good cleanser should do. I don't like lather in a cleanser because it gets messy and I think it can cause irritation, so those who prefer lathering cleansers may not like this one. I have tried countless products from the drugstore, department stores and even health stores and really messed up my skin, making it sensitive, reactive and prone to breakouts. This cleanser is simple, and has pretty much returned my skin to its previous state (much fewer breakouts, neither too oily or too dry, even toned and more resistant). After years of suffering with mild to moderate but very persistent acne, I have realized that most of the stuff I was putting on my face was only adding to my problems. I think that if you decide to try this, you have to really give it a chance to work for you (at least a couple of months) and try reducing the number of products you use as much as possible and see if your skin improves like mine did. My skin always feels perfectly clean and soft after using this. I love using it with a washcloth or mixing it with a gentle scrub to exfoliate. I don't like putting a lot of chemicals on my face so I don't usually use moisturizer after cleansing because I don't feel I need to (my skin produces enough oil to make it feel comfortable and because of using this product, my skin retains its own moisture and doesn't feel dry). I agree that for those who wear heavier or long wearing foundation, Cetaphil would probably not provide a thorough clean, but if you wear minimal or no makeup, it could be right for you. I normally wear concealer and bronzer/blush on my face and this works fine to remove it (if I wear foundation, I just use a washcloth with this or first wipe my face with a baby wipe and then cleanse as usual). Overall, I highly recommend this product and firmly believe it has drastically improved the overall health of my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2006 1:34:00 PM More reviews by shybrwneyedgrl

I had been given this cleanser years ago when I was undergoing microdermabrasion treatments. I have used it on and off since then, depending on the current condition of my skin. I typically like to use an exfoliating or alpha hydroxy type cleanser, but when I became pregnant a few months ago, my skin became extremely sensitive, blotchy, irritated, and periodically broke out. I was also concerned about using harsh chemicals on my skin during my pregnancy. I decided to return to this cleanser, and my skin has been in a better condition since then. It has been soft, glowing, and smooth. I most likely will continue to use this until the end of my pregnancy in April. And it's worked so well that I may just continue to use it beyond that!!! Note: For the past year, I have used the Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing bar and the Cetaphil Moisturing Lotion. The cleansing bar is the only cleanser I have found that is gentle enough to remove my makeup without stripping and irritating my skin. And the lotion works wonderfully to calm and moisturize my skin during the night. Both have helped my skin tremendously. Maybe my testy skin just favors Cetaphil products!!! Also, I read that, if you mix this cleanser with an equal amount of baking soda and apply it to wet skin for a minute, it makes for a good at-home dermabrasion. Will have to try and update in the future!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/31/2006 11:19:00 AM More reviews by cristalle65

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I just don't have the right skin type for this cleanser, it does not remove any significant amount of oil, which I need. It did work great when I had a sunburn though.I think it is a good product, just not right for me, even when using it with a washcloth to exfoliate.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/31/2006 5:54:00 AM More reviews by pink_cosmos

I tried it once, didn't like it. Tried it again, and still didn't like it! Did nothing for my skin, which didn't improve while using this. Although there may be other contributory factors, my skin was actually pretty crap while I was using this. I have oily skin though, and this is designed for sensitive skin, so my advice would be to use what is designed for your skin, and don't just go by what other people use and like. I'm LOVING Orlane B21 purette, which has definitily improved my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2006 12:48:00 PM More reviews by plummiecat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this cleanser. It gently cleans my face without irritation and is fragrance free. My normal skin is left soft. I do use a separate eye make up remover as I do with all cleansers. The large bottle lasts forever and costs about $10.