December 22, 2014 | 1592 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2006 8:34:00 PM More reviews by benandjerrys

In the winter, I love this stuff. In the summer, it doesn't do much for me. It doesn't remove makeup, but it does leave your skin soft. I have combination skin, and have tried all kinds of products. The SIMPLE stuff works. I find that this leaves my skin nice and clear.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2006 10:41:00 PM More reviews by fermidiracgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was very wrong about this product (I previously rated it with 1 lippie). Now that its winter, and I have been using lots of BP for acne treatment also, my skin is so dry. I used to think this cleanser was nasty since it didnt foam, and felt slimy, etc.. but I bought it again as a last chance shot to see if it would help my skin. Surprise! Its wonderful. For those who say it doesnt remove makeup - try this: Rub some onto dry skin, and use a tissue to wipe it off. This takes all my makeup off, even my eye makeup, and it doesnt sting my eyes (which are very sensitive). But I found that if you put it onto wet skin, and rinse it off, it wont remove any makeup at all. Strange. After I tissue my makeup off, I wash again with it using water, like normal. It leaves my skin soft and not tight, and as long as I used it to take off makeup, it doesnt leave a residue. I previously complained of the price (for such SIMPLE, readily/widely available ingredients, 16 oz in crappy packaging shouldnt cost $10, esp since they dont do a lot of advertising either), although I will keep buying it thru the winter. Maybe in the summer again I'll switch to a foaming cleanser when my skin gets oily. But in the winter with my dry skin, this is great. The walmart version is 1/3 the price ($3-something for 16 oz), and I cant imagine that it would be a whole lot different, but ive only bought the name brand version so far. The packaging sucks, the epitome of utilitarian, but whatever. I think the 16 oz is too bulky (I travel a lot) so im glad they make an 8 oz and a 4 oz size. Anyway, this product is worth revisiting, and Im glad to say I was very wrong about it. *********update************** Ive been using this about 2 weeks (I follow with proactiv repairing lotion and cetaphil moisturizing cream) and my sensitive, winter-dry-flaky, really acne prone skin is looking a little better each day. Its not completely clear yet, but its improved for sure. If you're acne prone, this is good to use before your treatments, like BP. Will update in a couple months if this regime ends up clearing my skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/11/2006 8:28:00 PM More reviews by faedreams79

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was not a fan of this cleanser. It seemed to leave a build up on my skin and not clean my face at all. I had more break outs while I was using this as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2006 3:26:00 AM More reviews by Pretchel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This cleanser works very good for MY HAIR. I have extremely fragile, mid-lenght and wavy hair and since a couple of weeks, I cannot wash them everyday like I did before (you can check my review on the Senscience shampoo for dry hair). A shampoo every two days is even too much for me ! But my hair is so fine that the day after I've washed them, I wake up with the most ugly, kind of flat and greasy looking hair that I've ever seen in my entire life and it's totally discusting. So, I had the idea to use this gentle cleanser everyday between shampoo and I'm very impressed with the results. My hair are definately softer and easier to manage, and the greasy look is totally gone. Even my Senscience shampoo and conditionner seems to work better ! I'm doing it since 2 weeks now and I'll continue to do it until that cleanser is available on the market !

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2006 8:37:00 PM More reviews by bombilladeluz

Always keep some of this around- its good and gentle to use for anything really: removing eye makeup, cleaning up a skin irratation, on kids or babies..its that gentle. If I try to cover up a blemish and screw it up, I can use this to gently clean the spot to reapply makeup without ruining my whole face! I don't use it as my only facial cleanser, however, just in the mornings when I am waking up with no makeup on. At night I feel like I need something a little stronger.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2006 5:16:00 PM More reviews by Susisu

Love this stuff. I used to have chronic redness/dryness across my nose and cheeks that I always had to cover with makeup. Sometimes I had to use cortisone lotion on it to calm it down. I've been using this for around five years now. The redness faded after a month or so, and the only time the redness comes back is when I'm traveling and forget to bring my cleanser and use something else. Before this, I tried numerous cleansers. This is the only one that works for me. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2006 4:20:00 AM More reviews by lopper

Although the texture of Cetaphil is not the greateat, it is the best cleanser for face in my opinion. I find now that I can't go anywhere without it because my skin just doesn't feel as clean. I am 18 and have occasional breakouts but if I leave ceptahil on the spot for the night, it's gone or not noticeable in the morning. When I'm rinsing it off, it doesn't leave a squeaky clean feeling because it stripped my skin of all it's good oils and leaves it soft and supple. I would recommend this especially to people with sensitive skin or for use during winter when skin is drier. This can also be used without water or as a scrub.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2006 10:50:00 PM More reviews by maybeiloveyou

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Don't buy this if you wear any kind of makeup or have oily skin. IT WON'T DO ANYTHING. You'll just end up with massive breakouts from all your clogged pores. As a standalone moisturizer, it works decently, but I didn't use it for an extended period of time. I really wanted to like this product, but it's best for those with makeup-free, dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2006 9:21:00 PM More reviews by rihannsu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had to edit my original review, which was one star. I've gone back to using this cleanser, thinking maybe I didn't give it another chance to do its work.

I smear it on my eyes when I'm using Nivea's Gentle Cleansing Cream (more on that little gem to follow!) so the beads don't get to the skin around my eyes. And I keep a bottle at my boyfriend's house for all over cleaning.

It's doing what it's supposed to. It cleans and softens and I think I'm going to switch to it for my winter cleanser (I live in Texas, so "winter" is a relative term). ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2006 6:46:00 PM More reviews by sarahe5682

It's the cleanser I use when my skin is dry and/or sensitive. I have used it for years.