Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 3/5/2007 8:05:00 PM

I know lots of people who swear by this cleanser, and it's heavily recommended for sensitive skin. However, I found it very irritating. It gave me a horrible stinging sensation and left my face bright red. Also, it wasn't effective at removing my makeup, and it took forever to rinse off all the filmy residue it left on my skin. It is not drying at all though; so if dry skin is your main concern, this might be good in conjunction with a good eye makeup remover.

I've been using this product on and off for almost 8 years...I always go back to on the recommendation of my dermatologist, but then am disappointed because it never felt like it was cleaning my face. That was until I figured out the best application technique. I apply it to a dry face (with dry hands) and massage in for about 30 seconds. Then I leave the cleanser on for about 1 minute. It rinses completely clean and my white towel does not end up discolored with makeup residue. If you can stick with this for at least a month, you will not be disappointed. I have always had a blemish problem, and this is the first time in 8 years I haven't used a single acne product. And my face is completely clear.

on 3/5/2007 1:56:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I had a flare up (rosacea), and my dermatologist recommended this. The minute this cleanser touched my face, it stung. It was so painful I did not look forward to washing my face. I used it again when my skin was normal and it stung as well.

on 3/3/2007 9:11:00 AM

I bought this because my skin was getting so dry in the winter I was breaking out like every other day. It's a really great cleanser that doesn't dry out your skin at all. I wouldn't suggest using it as an eye makeup remover. It does remove makeup but for my eyeliner and mascara I need to really keep applying, rinsing, applying, and I am probably wasting tons of product. Also, if you buy the drug-store brand it's practically the same thing. I like this stuff. Just make sure you realize it in no way helps with acne or balancing out your skin's texture/oil combinations.

on 3/2/2007 3:26:00 PM

I have been using this product for about 3 or 4 years. I have fairly balanced skin, rarely break out, but my skin does get a little dry in the winter, so I do tend to use it more during this time of year. I apprecaite the extra moisture it adds to my skin. I usually just use it once a day, and just wash my face with water the rest of the day. I don't usually wear a lot of make-up during the day, but this does a good job of removing it. I'm surprised so many on here complain that it doesn't; all of my friends who use Cetaphil claim to love it because of it's make-up removing powers. This is a good basic cleanser that does the job for my very low maintenence skin. The price is pretty reasonable since a little goes a long way for me.

Every couple of years I keep trying this, because so many people swear by it. Maybe someday I'll learn my lesson and give up. It really doesn't remove makeup (and I don't use heavy or long-wearing makeup), and it has a strange way of both drying out my skin and leaving it filmy/greasy. Sometimes this seems good for a few days but then my skin's condition will deteriorate until I stop using it. It just doesn't work for me.

I have been using this cleanser forever and I absolutely love it! Have no problems, very gentle and no breakouts at all--5 stars for me!

on 3/1/2007 5:13:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My longtime very favorite morning cleanser when all I need is a mild, light cleansing on skin which has been thoroughly cleansed the night before with a heavier duty cleanser. There is a good reason why thousands of dermatologists have been recommending this cleanser so frequently for many years.

on 2/28/2007 1:41:00 PM

this is my favorite cleanser of all time, i don't wear makeup so it is the perfect amount of cleansing for me. i have normal skin that tends to get dry sometimes and sensitive. my face loves this and it doesn't dry me out too much. washing with oil is something you have to get used to but it does make your face incredibly soft.

on 2/27/2007 11:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I use this as a makeup remover, as I find it's not strong enough as a cleanser. This takes off my mascara with no irritation, it's very gentle, and makes cleansing a lot easier! As a make-up remover, I recommend it; as a cleanser, not so much.

Video Reviews & Tutorials