MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

on 7/5/2009 3:58:00 AM

I wish it had higher SPF.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Honestly, I am quite disappointed with most of MAC's Prep + Prime products and this is no exception. Here's the breakdown:
Pros:
-SPF 50 (I LOVE that aspect)
-Does a decent job as a primer
Cons:
-Takes what seems like an eternity to dry
-I'm not acne prone, but this made me breakout like crazy
-While this is more personal, I was unable to identify any "corrections" that it made on my skin (did not eliminate redness as I was hoping). However, this was never promised by the product description, I just expected it because other primers often work that way.
Neutrals:
-As far as the "oil control" that people have been talking about, I find that it is not incredible, but there is a SLIGHT effect so I can't say it's bad.
The sad truth is that MAC products are simply overrated most of the time. There are spectacular alternatives out there for half the price. :)

on 7/3/2009 11:37:00 AM

Love love love this product. I have fairly oily skin and this is the first product that really makes a noticable difference. The first day I applied, it got very hot outside and I was sure my face looked ugly and sweaty. However, when I looked in the mirror, no sign of oilyness. It also gives great staying power to my make up. Great, great product for sun protection and battling oil and grease. Only con is that it is a small tube for quite a lot of money but will definitely repurchase again.

I get all warm and fuzy just thinking about this primer. I have very oily skin, I've tried a few primers, different foundations, face powders, whatever, and none have been able to do what MAC's Prep + Prime SPF 50 has done for me. It sounds cheesy to say its changed my life but it has.

Oil Control: When I'm not wearing primer my skin becomes oily 4-5 hours after applying foundation (sometimes sooner on bad days), and by 3 or 4 pm I have to blot (I just use tissue). When I wear the Prep+Prime my skin gets a little 'dewy' after a few hours but it rarely gets to the point when I feel like I need to blot. Even if its 10 o'clock at night, my face will still look only dewy or just slightly oily.

Foundation Wear: My usual face products are Revlon's Colorstay Foundation, followed by a pressed powder. I apply my foundation right after the primer because it CS is easier to blend with something else underneath. With the Prep + Prime my foundation lasts all day and if there aren't any lines around my nose or mouth (from smiling).

Breakouts & Pores: I almost always have one or two new zits everyday, and I don't find this to have affected my skin in that way at all. I usually just use the primer on my forhead, nose, & cheeks, and my breakouts are always around my mouth and cheeks. So this primer hasn't made me breakout more or less. Also its never clogged pores or caused any other skin irritations.

Application & Removal: The formula is light and easy to apply. I use to just use a dot on each cheek, nose, and forehead but I've found using a bit more makes it work even better at controlling oil. This washes off just fine with my Olay face cleanser (it has little exfoliating beads), I don't have a problem with this staying on my face when I don't want it there.

Packaging: This comes in a little sparkly black tube that is narrow on the top and has the opening on the bottom. Its only 1 ounce, which I think it a rip off for $28. Also I think it will be a pain to get all of the product out when I start getting to the end. I would probably cut it open if not for the fact that I would not be able to take the empty tube back to MAC for a free lipstick or whatever. I only use the primer on days when I know I'm going to be away from home all day, otherwise I feel like I'm wasting it and I don't want to have to rebuy this all the time.

on 6/15/2009 10:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is a great sunscreen from mac and primer all in one. The sun protection is very high, great for holidays or even for everyday use if you hangout outside a lot. I've been using it for along time now and love it. It never leaves my skin oily. But this stuff is very pricey and the tube only lasts me few weeks. Excellent pdt though, would buy again and again until i find a cheaper alternative.

Edit: What has MAC done to this fabulous sunscreen & primer? The new version is oily and doesn't stay on at all. Why would they replace a very good physical sunscreen with chemicals is beyond me! I've used this religiously for years. Very disappointed with the new formula. The hunt for HG sunscreen begins again.

on 6/14/2009 2:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Love this product. For such a high sunscreen, it doesn't make my oily skin greasy at all and works very well as a primer too. For very sunny days outdoors and summer this is the best one and has full protection. You only need a tiny amount to cover your entire face.

on 6/9/2009 11:41:00 AM

I was soooooo skeptical when the sales girl sold me this. Every moisturizer with SPF has made me oily and that is not something I need help with. I have enough oil on my own, TYVM! Since every other oil free moisture and mattifier failed, I figured what the heck? I can always return it. I've been using this for over a week now and am LOVING IT! My makeup stays in place and gone is the constant shine. If I have to blot...it's 6 hours after makeup application and only in the corners of my nose. I have not tried this with a liquid foundation, but have been using studio fix powder + foundation and everything has been perfect. I can even use my mineralize blush it looks sheer and shimmery and not shiny!! WOOOHOOOO

After using this for a few months, I've noticed that it tends to make my skin peel. I make sure that I exfoliate and moisturize well under this

on 6/8/2009 8:02:00 AM

Since I only use foundation on parts of my face I have been looking for a good base with SPF. So far I have tried out MAC Prep+Prime SPF50 (PP) and Clinique City Block SPF25 (CB).

PP obviously has better protection with the higher SPF, but it contains few other beneficial ingredients and I can not use it on my oily forehead without getting clogged. CB also clogs the forehead, but in a lesser degree since it is lighter in consistency (PP is really creamy). Luckily I have bangs, so it is not an important issue. In my opinion CB looks better under makeup, while PP can make the skin look a little blotchy. Further more I think PP is aggravating my red areas a little.

All in all I have a slight preference for CB. It's less expensive too, nearly half the price. I am not completely ruling out PP, mainly because of the high SPF. For the colder months CB is definitely my first choice, while PP is a valuable asset for me in Summer. What I really need to try, though, is the CB with SPF40 (this supposedly has less antioxidants, but I have to try it before deciding).

Love this product! I'm very happy with the fact is has a high SPF. I agree that it is pricey for the amount you get, but I know it will last awhile, wish it had a flip top cap.
I have an oily t-zone and have tried all kinds of primers and this one hands down works the best for oil control!

on 5/29/2009 1:31:00 PM

This is an excellent product if you're looking for something to keep your makeup longer and keep it matte looking. I really controls oil well. I love that it has an SPF, however, I didn't find to be that great of a primer. It doesn't fill in pores. I would repurchase because it keeps my makeup looking matte all day but I might try the Prep+Prime skin next time.

Popular Primer/ Correctors