August 30, 2014 | 1182 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2009 8:02:00 AM More reviews by na8i

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Since I only use foundation on parts of my face I have been looking for a good base with SPF. So far I have tried out MAC Prep+Prime SPF50 (PP) and Clinique City Block SPF25 (CB).

PP obviously has better protection with the higher SPF, but it contains few other beneficial ingredients and I can not use it on my oily forehead without getting clogged. CB also clogs the forehead, but in a lesser degree since it is lighter in consistency (PP is really creamy). Luckily I have bangs, so it is not an important issue. In my opinion CB looks better under makeup, while PP can make the skin look a little blotchy. Further more I think PP is aggravating my red areas a little.

All in all I have a slight preference for CB. It's less expensive too, nearly half the price. I am not completely ruling out PP, mainly because of the high SPF. For the colder months CB is definitely my first choice, while PP is a valuable asset for me in Summer. What I really need to try, though, is the CB with SPF40 (this supposedly has less antioxidants, but I have to try it before deciding).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2009 6:01:00 AM More reviews by ProductJunkey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this product! I'm very happy with the fact is has a high SPF. I agree that it is pricey for the amount you get, but I know it will last awhile, wish it had a flip top cap.
I have an oily t-zone and have tried all kinds of primers and this one hands down works the best for oil control!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2009 1:31:00 PM More reviews by cwa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is an excellent product if you're looking for something to keep your makeup longer and keep it matte looking. I really controls oil well. I love that it has an SPF, however, I didn't find to be that great of a primer. It doesn't fill in pores. I would repurchase because it keeps my makeup looking matte all day but I might try the Prep+Prime skin next time.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2009 2:50:00 AM More reviews by hkhin001

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was really disappointed. I love MAC! But the SPF to their prep and prime, to me, does not work. I tried it, and it did a good job of being a primer, but it took longer to dry (probably because of the SPF). Which, to me, really defeats the purpose of a 2-1 product, if it takes as much, if not more time to get the product on my face.

If you are looking to buy this product to save time, then it is not a good idea. But if you usually do not wear SPF (please wear SPF, it is so important!) then this product is a good start.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/26/2009 1:34:00 PM More reviews by CliniqueGal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

When I first purchased this I thought it was brilliant. I am outside most of the day and SPF is vital for my very pale skin. The primer helped me to avoid sunburn and my makeup stayed on my oily skin all day, even in hot temperatures.

However I started breaking out in huge, red cystic pimples about a week after I started using this. I kept using it because I love that it kept me from looking shiny but my skin just cant tolerate the SPF. I am now scarred from the acne that it gave me.

I have moved on to No7 Shine Free Base and Clinique Super City Block SPF40 as this still keeps me matte and gives me sun protection- without breaking me out.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2009 1:29:00 PM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

As a somewhat fickle consumer, there are very few products that I consider to be truly HG worthy for me. Even when I like a product, I'm prone to looking to try something new any time I run out of anything. There's just too much out there not to want to play the field! Therefore, it's a pretty big deal for me to declare any one product as something I can't live without. MAC P+P SPF 50 receives that rare distinction. I've used it every day for the past two years and just love it to pieces, both as potent sun protection and as a foundation primer. The only complaint I have about it is that I wish it was available in a larger size. Sure the $28 per ounce price tag stings when I think about it, especially since using it sparingly undermines its usefulness as a sunblock, but I'd feel it worth the $$ at twice the price. I figure anti-aging treatments and procedures (or heaven forbid, skin cancer treatment) are even more grossly expensive than this and usually not even a third as effective as protecting your skin from years of sun damage before the signs start to appear. Thus, I'm probably saving myself $$ in the long run, or at the very least breaking even, by starting to religiously applying heavy duty sunblock during my 20s.

My fervent ardor for this product stems primarily from two sources. First, though my skin isn't particularly sensitive, my facial skin seems to hate most sunscreens. I can apply whatever I want to to my body and not be particularly bothered by it, but most sun screens make my face sting and flush uncomfortably. Others feel gross and tacky on my skin in a way that drives me crazy. Not so with P+P! It goes on like a thick but nongreasy face cream, spreading evenly and sinking in quickly, and then feels like ot disappears once it's absorbed. After application, I can't feel it at all. No stinging, no itching, no heat, no yucky greasy or stickiness. It absorbs easily and leaves the skin feeling smooth and soft, providing an easy canvas to apply foundation over. I don't think about it being there for the rest of the day. Second, I have trouble adding additional items in my routine. For years I knew I really ought to be wearing sunblock under my foundation, but for various reasons it rarely happened. If something doesn't offer some sort of immediate benefit, I often forget to use it. But because P+P makes my face nice and smooth, rendering it so much easier to apply my liquid foundation on top, this easily dropped into my routine. Prior to its release, I had already been using the original P+P face so it was easy to sub one for the other. Like the original P&P, this one makes my face smoother and I find myself using less foundation as my skin already looks better just after applying the primer and thus there's less I feel compelled to cover and blending over it is easier than blending onto bare skin. It's an essential part of my routine and thus I never forget it! It also does wonders in controlling the oilies. I have combo skin that leans heavily in the oily direction, especially on my nose and cheeks. Wearing P+P doesn't keep me completely matte all day long, but it does a good enough job that I very seldom am compelled to dig out my blot powder as it never lets me divert into full oilsick mode.

Finally, it's long lasting and pretty sweatproof. It's the only sunblock I used on my face during my last two trips to Florida, and even though I only applied it first thing in the morning and mid-to-late afternoon, my fair burn-prone skin neither burned nor tanned. It withstood hot August days that were so sweltering, I was constantly wiping my face with a hand towel I brought just for that purpose. Even after my foundation melted away, still P+P kept me from burning. That's impressive.

I really can't rave enough about this product. Even though it's spendy and with the amount you ought to use to really be protected (I used about .25 tsp on my face and then a normal sunscreen elsewhere) those small tubes run out fast, I wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone who has had trouble finding a good, strong sunblock for their face. It's fab!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2009 3:24:00 PM More reviews by JudgeJudy41

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love that it has a SPF50 and 16% zinc oxide. I applied and it made my Dr.Denese tinted moisturizer and Some-Kind-A-Gorgeous look great! Of course, I used them both alternately. M.A.C. Prep + Prime does has a slight white-ish cast until it is rubbed completely in. I took off 1 lippie for the price and packaging. Because its so pricey, I would buy again and use on vacation - only.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2009 6:24:00 PM More reviews by isseymiyake

it breaks me out..... besides that this is a wonderful product, helping foundation stay longer on my oily face. too bad, i really wanted to like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2009 9:27:00 PM More reviews by jt58612

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is wonderful! I've tried Clarins, Smashbox, MUFE and Laura Mercier and have always been disappointed (either by the product not doing as it claims or by the price or both) and this is the only one that I've kept. It keeps my makeup matte and oilfree for most of the day (I have a really oily nose) and I just need to retouch with a little powder or blot paper by midday. My makeup also lasts all day with this too. It feels really nice and smooth going on as well. I squeeze a little bit onto my foundation brush and a little bit covers my whole face. My one complaint would be the packaging. I think that the plastic bottle should be softer so that you can squeeze out all of the product. I feel that some is going to get stuck in the cracks and for what I paid, I want all of my product! I will definitely buy over and over again though. SPF 50 AND keeps your makeup on all day? Can't get any better than that!
______________________________________
NC40, Black Hair, Brown Eyes, Combination Skin

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2009 11:58:00 AM More reviews by bittersweetjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I decided to try this product because I needed a high-SPF sunscreen that I could wear on a daily basis under makeup. As someone with very oily skin, living in a hot, humid climate, finding a sunscreen that doesn't slide off is not easy! This stuff is a lifesaver! It really does help mattify my skin and keep my makeup on longer, and best of all, it's got SPF 50 to protect my pale skin from all those harsh Texas rays. I only have two gripes: 1) the price is too high for the amount of product you get, and 2) the first few times I used it, it seemed separated, even after shaking well. Still very pleased overall, though. Edit: My second tube did not separate, thankfully. I told the makeup artist what happened to my first tube and she said that's not normal, and to feel free to bring it in for an exchange if I ever get another tube that separates.