November 24, 2014 | 1989 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2012 8:25:00 AM More reviews by Dive14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

Love this stuff - has so many uses. My personal faves:
1) for hair as a pre-wash treatment: I apply this generously to dry hair for as long a few hours before I wash my hair. I have recently started to take good care of my hair after years of treating it badly and after doing a lot of research, CO kept coming up time and time again as one of the best hair treatments. Now when I shampoo my hair I also make sure I only use sulfate-free products because thos e that do contain are way too drying and damaging to my already naturally dry hair. Because of my dry hair I only shampoo once to remove the coconut oil, however if you have normal/oily hair you should probably "rinse & repeat". The oil helps prevent my hair from becoming "squeaky clean" and it feels soo much softer when I wash it now! Before, after shampooing my hair always felt coarse, matted and rough but now it feels silky, smooth, moisturized and with no matting and tangles like before! There have been studies that find that CO was found to reduce protein loss for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as a pre-wash and post-wash grooming product and I believe this is what I am experiencing currently.
2) I also like to run this through the ends when my hair is dry, to help add and seal in moisture (and generally tame frizzies!). However if I do this I know I cannot use flat irons as it will literally fry the hair (oil + hot plates)! So I only do this for my "final touch".
3) Skin - this is an amazing body moisturizer and having paid around £100 for Sisley, La Mer and La Praire body moisturizers I can honestly say this is as good especially for the price. Plus I prefer the thought of applying 100% natural products into my skin, rather than paraben/cone loaded products.
4) As a dietry supplement, I add it to my green tea and it works like a digestive aid and I swear adds a glow to my skin! I try to nourish my skin from the inside as much as the outside and this really does make a difference.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2012 3:21:00 AM More reviews by gumby11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok, so everyone knows the hype of Coconut Oil. It's pretty much magic in a jar. But if you've read these reviews and been a bit skeptical, trust me was too. "Slathering oil on your hair and body? Isn't that what makes it break out/become greasy?". Those were my thoughts until I saw a 500mL jar at my local Woolworths for <$5 a month or so ago. Which is a steal seeing as I once bought the same amount (although organic) for cooking purposes for $16!

What I use it for:
- My hair.
I've been bleaching and dyeing my hair ALOT this year and spending all that money on products left not a lot for treatments to repair it. Enter Coconut Oil. I leave it on overnight and use a sulfate-free shampoo in the morning. (Currently using an organic, earth-friendly brand from Woolworths ~$4)
- My skin.
This is oil, so expect it to be oily on your skin! If you don't like the feel, use a tiny amount. I don't really mind and just sit on a towel for an hour or so. I do this maybe twice weekly, as it's winter here.
- Extend fake tans.
I don't bronze-up often anymore, but when I do this is a great moisturiser to prevent your tan from becoming patchy. It may not work on everyone, it depends on the brand/type of tan you use.
- Nail care.
If your cuticles split or you get nice-n-scaley between your fingers, this is your cure. My nails were in horrible shape, but now they are looking healthy.

Seriously, give it a try. Scoop some out of the jar and store seperatley, so if you don't like it you haven't contaminated the jar and can still use it for cooking.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2012 1:22:00 AM More reviews by sweetsophiav

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is my night time routine moisturizer (I don't use during the day unless I'm staying indoors because I need spf). This has my 37 year old skin soooo smooth and baby butt soft! lol

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2012 12:29:00 AM More reviews by Lola_B_10021

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I've purchased Nature's Way and Living Foods brands at WF 16oz at $8-10

PROS:
Oil pulling - I've read amazing things about EVCO's ability to draw out bacteria esp. for oil pulling (mouth rinsing) and so far really like the results and the slight coconutty after-fragrance.
Body oil - incredibly penetrative post-shower body oil leaves my skin glowing and soft with no outbreak/irritation. I use it from neck to heel.
Exfoliant - Mix with sugar or meal for a great exfoliator that leaves skin soft.
Packaging - Is fine considering this solidifies at a certain temp.

CONS:
Hair - makes my hair feel dry and brittle and just sits
Scalp - makes my scalp itch and clogs my pores
Face - clogs my pores, makes my face feel dehydrated

Will buy again for the pros!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2012 9:03:00 PM More reviews by Metamorpha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I cannot say enough good things about coconut oil! You can usually purchase it at the grocery store. If you want virgin organic you may need to shop around or buy online, but more and more stores are carrying it in their organic section. I get a big jar that lasts forever for about $10. And it smells great! Or get refined for no scent and add your own essential oils. I use it for lotion (body and face) and on my hair. Also makes a great massage oil and makeup remover.

PROS:
-All natural and organic
-Smells amazing!
-Easy to find
-Hands down the best moisturizer I have ever used. Makes your skin like butter
-Also works well on hair
-Inexpensive
-Doesn't break out my acne prone skin, even gives it a little glow
-Best makeup remover ever!

CONS:
-Is a little on the oily side (cause it's an oil) but sinks into the skin within a half hour or so.

I like to use it at night after a shower. Then I toss on my bath robe or some PJs and relax a bit (maybe read MUA?) while I let the oil sink in.

I also use it as my night time moisturizer. I am on the acne.org regimen which can be extremely drying because it uses large amounts of Benzoid Peroxid. Coconut oil is the only thing I have found that completely gets rid of the dry skin from The Regimen. It may not work as well during the early phase when skin is first getting used to it, but has helped me immensely in maintaining The Regimen and when I up my dose of BP. It also has not broken me out, but rather improved my skin's appearance. The rule that acne prone skin must use oil free everything is flat out wrong. I use many all natural oils, including coconut, and have fantastic results because I know my acne isn't caused by oil. Using the right oils will help balance your skin out and improve it overall. Stripping it of oil will do the opposite. So I absolutely suggest acne sufferers try incorporating oils like coconut, olive, grapeseed, etc. (ok, rant over)

Another use is in the hair. You can coat the hair and let it sink in for a while then rinse out, or use a tiny bit as a leave in. I sometimes use a tad when my hair is feeling dry and frizzy.

And yet another use is to remove makeup. Takes it right off while also moisturizing. You really can't lose with this stuff, it's great!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2012 5:57:00 PM More reviews by afrakanpearl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil does wonders for dry/damaged hair. I have seen a dramatic improvement in my own hair since I started using it last summer. It does make your hair very greasy, so I recommend using it a few hours before you wash your hair witha sulfate-free shampoo. Also, different brands have different quality. My favorite is by Jarrow (Extra Virgin). The other brands don't melt easily and leave white chunks in the hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2012 7:40:00 PM More reviews by goldenpeach86

This is one of the things I could not live without.I LOVE coconut oil and I would have had no idea about it if it wasn't for makeupalley!So thank you everyone:) I use this stuff for everything.I mainly use it on my hair as a pre- wash treatment.I scoop a little out of the jar and let it melt in my hands and apply mid shaft to ends.With the left over residue, I apply to my scalp.I leave it on anywhere between 2 hours or more.It rinses out easily,just takes me one shampoo.I have noticed a huge difference in my hair.Its shinier and stronger.It works great as a leave in serum too,just not allot you don't want to be greasy.I also use this as a body oil,as a face serum,I even use it when I shave lol.I just recently started using it as a eye makeup remover and it does wonders for that too.I got a big jar of it at GNC for 14 or 15$ I don't quite remember.Either way well worth it.I use it all the time and I still have a ton of product left.This is just a great natural product and I love how it can be used for so many things.I will never be without coconut oil again!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2012 10:40:00 PM More reviews by snoooo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wow, started using this as a moisturizer (face, body) and underarm deodorant, and so far I am impressed! I'm starting to subscribe to the thinking that anything you put on your skin should be something you would eat. I read some good things about coconut oil and, well, so far it is living up to my expectations!

I put it on my face and décolleté at night for a deep moisturizing treatment. I swear that I am starting to look younger! My skin is very sensitive and I think this oil has a calming effect. It also has antibacterial properties, which is why I am using it as a deodorant. It seems to be quite effective, and of course has no harmful cancer-causing chemicals! It's still in the trial stage but this may become my new go-to beauty product!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2012 9:58:00 PM More reviews by amoyer2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Add me to the list of people who like using this for a hair treatment! I'm looking at my bottle of Pureology Nanoworks right now and kicking myself for not buying a huge bottle of Costco Shampoo (Kirland - see the review for that if you like Nanoworks) and a tub of Organic Coconut Oil and calling it a day.

So - the review: I apply this at night to dry hair and sleep with it in with a shower cap on. My hair really soaks up the oil and by the morning when I'm ready to wash it out it has absorbed so much of it. I wash two times with a deep cleansing shampoo and condition. I've been doing this weekly.

The results: My hair is SOFT! I can't stop touching it. It also has less frizz and the ends look healthy. I'm hoping that long term use will lead to less hair loss. My hair feels wonderful!

My hair: I have wavy/curly/THICK red hair that I color treat and chemically relax occasionally. I let it air dry most days, but heat style 2-4 times a month typically. My hair is very prone to breakage/fall out despite going easy on the styling.

Try it and see for yourself. Worst case scenario you can use it to cook.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2012 9:01:00 AM More reviews by BGx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Other Eyes: Green

I bleach my hair, not much because I am naturally blonde but now it's white (with the use of toners and purple shampoos - by the hairdresser). It goes down past my bum and I'm tall! I am living proof you don't need extensions to have the hair colour and length you want as long as you treat it properly.
For years I've tried different products on my hair, some that work and some that don't - This works! I read somewhere that the molecules in coconut oil are one of the only ones small enough to enter the pores in the hair shaft and repair from within.
I very rarely wash my hair (once every 5-7 days? - I weened myself off - which I believe helped me to grow my hair - that and with the use of very little heat) I always use a coconut treatment before I wash it and my hair just feels amazing. Along with the heat protectant products (if I'm in a rush and need to blow dry) this is the only styling product I use now, putting a small amount on my ends. (I used to use Moroccan Oil - but have seen a lot of negative reviews as this oil does not REPAIR it just gives your hair a cosmetic softness, temporarily making it feel good).

Coconut oil in conjunction with Kerastase products (whichever suit your hair best) is a winning routine in my eyes!