Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 8/11/2012 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am a huge fan of coconut oil.
I use it as an eye makeup remover and I have used it as a facial moisturizer in the past, but found that it didn't do much in terms of acne and acne scars. That does not dampen my opinion of coconut oil in the least though.
Along with dry skin brushing, it has helped drastically reduce the keratosis pilaris on my arms and legs. I apply it daily as a body moisturizer - and that is saying a lot because I am a person who cannot tolerate ANY greasyness on my body at all. I find most moisturizers unusable because they just leave me feeling disgustingly slick. However, coconut oil applied when I am still dripping wet from the shower does the trick. By the time the water has dried, the oil has soaked in and I am left with soft, not greasy skin. This is the only stuff I can tolerate.

It is also a great deep conditioner for hair. I sometimes apply it on the ends of my dry hair, let it soak overnight, then wash off in the morning. I also occasionally use a tiny, tiny amount as a leave-in conditioner, if my hair is wet.

Mine is organic, unrefined, and virgin-pressed so it has that faint coconut smell that I find yummy, but some find it reminds them too much of sunscreen. If you generally don't like coconut scent, buy a refined version. I buy mine at the local health store. Where I live, the price is quite steep (around 25$ for a 16oz jar) which seems like a lot for one food item. But when you consider all its uses and all the products its replacing, its extremely cheap for what it does and how long it lasts. I use mine in the kitchen to replace butter and it has lasted me about a year and a half, the same jar. (Don't worry, the moisturizing oil is scooped into a different container than the kitchen oil). The dietary benefits of coconut oil are a whole different can of worms on their own (lose weight, makes you feel fuller) but overall I cannot stop singing the praises of this fantastic product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

totally transformed my medium-length medium-thick hair!! :D I looooveee this! makes my hair shinyyy n smooth. sometimes i mix in egg whites, castor oil, deep conditioner, n grapeseed oil. love it. try it.

on 8/10/2012 7:59:00 PM

Coconut oil is one of my absolute favorite things. It is a healthy oil and helps me lose weight. I follow a low carb/higher fat diet and my weight loss increased when I added this to my diet. I love using it in my eye makeup remover, as a diaper rash treatment, treatment for eczema, deep hair conditioner.

Update: I started massaging coconut oil into my scalp a few months ago. I do it at least 2-3 times a week. Since I started doing this, my hair stylist has said that my hair seems to be a lot healthier and my hair is much thicker. It also seems to be growing faster. I buy my coconut oil from vitacost.com. It's really cheap there and you can get a huge tub of it.

on 8/10/2012 7:54:00 PM

I really love Coconut Oil. There are so many uses, and its so healthy and all natural. I usually by a bulk extra virgin organic brand on Amazon, and it last forever. I do use it on my skin and face, but my favorite place to use this is on my hair. I use this as a deep over night conditioner. I heat up about a tablespoon for a few seconds in the microwave, and sometimes stir in some castor oil. I apply this to my dry, long waist level hair at night. I comb it through all over my hair and scalp, and place it in a high but loose bun. I let it soak in overnight and rinse it out in the shower the next morning( I do this every 2 weeks). Its actually a pretty light oil and rinses out very well. You can feel the amazing softness so I use light shampoo and conditioning thereafter to maintain that effect. Your hair will dry less frizzy, very shinny and so soft. If I don't have time to do this overnight, I sometimes apply this and use a shower cap in the shower letting the steam penetrate my hair and rinsing it out last. You can also use this as a quick shine serum, buy adding a small amount ( about the size of a dime for my very long hair ) rubbing it and warming it into your palms and apply to your middle and ends. Overall I am so impressed with all the uses of Coconut oil, but love it mostly for a great deep conditioner.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

The best multi-purpose beauty product I've come across.

- Works as an amazing moisturizer. I use it instead of lotions or creams and it has eliminated most of the stubborn keratosis pilaris on my upper arms.
- Makes a great lip scrub. I mix one part semi-solid coconut oil to one part sugar and rub it onto my lips to make them smooth and plump.
- Removes stubborn makeup (works exceptionally well on the notorious Maybelline Falsies waterproof mascara!)
- Softens hair. I use a dime-sized amount on wet hair before drying it, and use a tablespoon for a hot oil treatment. My wavy, coarse hair is now extremely healthy and shiny.

I've tried olive oil and grapeseed oil but they just don't compare to how much coconut oil has changed my skin and hair. Even better is how cheap it is! I got the scentless Spectrum brand in a 14 oz jar for $10, or if you don't mind a faint coconut scent, Trader Joe's also sells a 16 oz jar for $6 or $7 (I personally think it smells yummy). I've been using it every day and I still have a tenth of the jar left after 6 months. I'm absolutely in love with coconut oil!

on 8/3/2012 12:58:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

After hearing about this for so long & from so many different ppl, I finally gave in. My jar is from Trader Joes. This smells SO GOOD!!!! So far I have used as a;
body moisturizer (yay but your skin does stay slick for awhile if you apply on dry skin)
lip balm (nice)
deep conditioning trmt on my curly haired DDs (not sure I noticed a huge difference. Maybe I should've applied more to the hair?)
leave-in on the ends of my hair (too heavy & made my ends greasy. I normally use some kind of serum in the same way but I guess this was just way too heavy)
body scrub (I mixed this with some brown sugar and scrubbed all over. Also shaved with the residue oil left on my skin & was left baby soft)

I am a product ho so I'm not all that attracted to multi-use products but this smells so yummy I think I will have to get over that. ;-)

on 7/31/2012 10:54:00 PM

Coconut oil is not what I expected, I expected it to be very moisturizing/heavy. It's interesting.
I purchased Jarrow virgin coconut oil, it smells amazing and it solid when refrigerated and has to be chipped away at. I've been using it as a hair treatment, and unlike other hair treatments which don't actually improve the condition of your hair, this does. It's a pain to wash out, but when used over time, it makes your hair very shiny and silky and makes your hair ends less crunchy. Don't expect immediate results.
As for skin....I have hormonal cheek acne and it's been especially bad lately. I put coconut oil on my face and thought, well my skin can't get any worse. This is actually a little drying on my face, I've been putting it on for 20 min after washing my face in the morning/evening and it seems to fade my acne scars a lot and prevent new acne.

on 7/31/2012 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Coconut oil is a staple and multi-purpose product for me with a fresh, natural fragrance that I love.
I have a jar in the bathroom that I use mainly as a body moisturizer, but also use sometimes for shaving, hair conditioner or make-up remover. As well, I have a jar in the kitchen that is used for cooking, but is also convenient to use as a hand moisturizer after washing dishes.

on 7/31/2012 7:51:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

This is a HG product for me. I use the virgin coconut oil.
*Oil Pulling. I pull CO for 20 minutes in the morning. After a few days I have noticed: Whiter teeth, healthier mouth (I had sore gums from overbrushing), skin is softer, eyes are brighter, more energy, nose is clearer, sleeping better, clear mind, better memory, feel happier.
*Every night I put some in my hair, and plait it. Then shampoo out in the morning, my hair is so soft. And I use a tiny amount-much less than serum, on my dry hair to smooth it.
*Use it as a makeup remover
*Mix with turmeric and apply to dark circles
*I use it as a night moisturiser and hand cream, and doesn't clog my pores
*Mix 1/2 tsp coconut oil and 1/2 tsb baking soda for a cuticle and nail scrub/ softener
*Take it after every meal to aid digestion
*Great for soothing my eczema breakouts and dry skin
*Keep it in a small pot in my handbag to use as lip balm
*Also, put some on my dog before grooming, it makes her coat much easier to comb and detangles!

on 7/30/2012 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought the Nature's Way unrefined cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil. I had been getting the spectrum refined kind but that one wasnt as good, i never used it because it took longer to melt and when i rubbed it inbetween my hands little hard balls of unmelted coconut oil would remain which was super annoying, it also smelled/tasted bad. But this cold pressed kind is a DREAM! I simply need to close my hand and it melts, i dont even need to rub it inbetween both my hands. and NO HARD UNMELTED BALLS! I also like the packaging better because its not as tall, so it wont be a pain to get at the last bit. It smells/tastes way better also, like actual coconuts. I want to keep this jar more sanitary, so im getting everything out with a spoon. I saw someone had the idea of freezing pre-measured coconut oil to use on your skin, so I measured it out and put tablespoons of coconut oil into my mini muffin pan and froze it. Its ready pretty much almost instantly, so I pried them out with a knife, it was very easy, and they didnt break apart in the process. I put them into a sandwich bag and left them in the freezer and when I shower I just take one out with me and put it in a little bowl and bring it with me, i was concerned it might melt too early but when i was done showering it had not melted at all even with the humidity. I rubbed it all over and it worked just the way i wanted it to! It reminded me of the LUSH body bars, it makes my skin super soft and glowing. I also put it in my hair before every 3rd wash overnight and it leaves my hair super shiny and soft, without being greasy (after ive washed it of course) I also put a little bit of it in both my shampoo and conditioner which i like alot. It also makes a great personal lubricant. I also eat about a tablespoon a day because i heard it helps with metabolism. Basically coconut oil is awesome for just about everything

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products