Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

The best multi-purpose beauty product I've come across.

- Works as an amazing moisturizer. I use it instead of lotions or creams and it has eliminated most of the stubborn keratosis pilaris on my upper arms.
- Makes a great lip scrub. I mix one part semi-solid coconut oil to one part sugar and rub it onto my lips to make them smooth and plump.
- Removes stubborn makeup (works exceptionally well on the notorious Maybelline Falsies waterproof mascara!)
- Softens hair. I use a dime-sized amount on wet hair before drying it, and use a tablespoon for a hot oil treatment. My wavy, coarse hair is now extremely healthy and shiny.

I've tried olive oil and grapeseed oil but they just don't compare to how much coconut oil has changed my skin and hair. Even better is how cheap it is! I got the scentless Spectrum brand in a 14 oz jar for $10, or if you don't mind a faint coconut scent, Trader Joe's also sells a 16 oz jar for $6 or $7 (I personally think it smells yummy). I've been using it every day and I still have a tenth of the jar left after 6 months. I'm absolutely in love with coconut oil!

on 8/3/2012 12:58:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

After hearing about this for so long & from so many different ppl, I finally gave in. My jar is from Trader Joes. This smells SO GOOD!!!! So far I have used as a;
body moisturizer (yay but your skin does stay slick for awhile if you apply on dry skin)
lip balm (nice)
deep conditioning trmt on my curly haired DDs (not sure I noticed a huge difference. Maybe I should've applied more to the hair?)
leave-in on the ends of my hair (too heavy & made my ends greasy. I normally use some kind of serum in the same way but I guess this was just way too heavy)
body scrub (I mixed this with some brown sugar and scrubbed all over. Also shaved with the residue oil left on my skin & was left baby soft)

I am a product ho so I'm not all that attracted to multi-use products but this smells so yummy I think I will have to get over that. ;-)

on 7/31/2012 10:54:00 PM

Coconut oil is not what I expected, I expected it to be very moisturizing/heavy. It's interesting.
I purchased Jarrow virgin coconut oil, it smells amazing and it solid when refrigerated and has to be chipped away at. I've been using it as a hair treatment, and unlike other hair treatments which don't actually improve the condition of your hair, this does. It's a pain to wash out, but when used over time, it makes your hair very shiny and silky and makes your hair ends less crunchy. Don't expect immediate results.
As for skin....I have hormonal cheek acne and it's been especially bad lately. I put coconut oil on my face and thought, well my skin can't get any worse. This is actually a little drying on my face, I've been putting it on for 20 min after washing my face in the morning/evening and it seems to fade my acne scars a lot and prevent new acne.

on 7/31/2012 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Coconut oil is a staple and multi-purpose product for me with a fresh, natural fragrance that I love.
I have a jar in the bathroom that I use mainly as a body moisturizer, but also use sometimes for shaving, hair conditioner or make-up remover. As well, I have a jar in the kitchen that is used for cooking, but is also convenient to use as a hand moisturizer after washing dishes.

on 7/31/2012 7:51:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

This is a HG product for me. I use the virgin coconut oil.
*Oil Pulling. I pull CO for 20 minutes in the morning. After a few days I have noticed: Whiter teeth, healthier mouth (I had sore gums from overbrushing), skin is softer, eyes are brighter, more energy, nose is clearer, sleeping better, clear mind, better memory, feel happier.
*Every night I put some in my hair, and plait it. Then shampoo out in the morning, my hair is so soft. And I use a tiny amount-much less than serum, on my dry hair to smooth it.
*Use it as a makeup remover
*Mix with turmeric and apply to dark circles
*I use it as a night moisturiser and hand cream, and doesn't clog my pores
*Mix 1/2 tsp coconut oil and 1/2 tsb baking soda for a cuticle and nail scrub/ softener
*Take it after every meal to aid digestion
*Great for soothing my eczema breakouts and dry skin
*Keep it in a small pot in my handbag to use as lip balm
*Also, put some on my dog before grooming, it makes her coat much easier to comb and detangles!

on 7/30/2012 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought the Nature's Way unrefined cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil. I had been getting the spectrum refined kind but that one wasnt as good, i never used it because it took longer to melt and when i rubbed it inbetween my hands little hard balls of unmelted coconut oil would remain which was super annoying, it also smelled/tasted bad. But this cold pressed kind is a DREAM! I simply need to close my hand and it melts, i dont even need to rub it inbetween both my hands. and NO HARD UNMELTED BALLS! I also like the packaging better because its not as tall, so it wont be a pain to get at the last bit. It smells/tastes way better also, like actual coconuts. I want to keep this jar more sanitary, so im getting everything out with a spoon. I saw someone had the idea of freezing pre-measured coconut oil to use on your skin, so I measured it out and put tablespoons of coconut oil into my mini muffin pan and froze it. Its ready pretty much almost instantly, so I pried them out with a knife, it was very easy, and they didnt break apart in the process. I put them into a sandwich bag and left them in the freezer and when I shower I just take one out with me and put it in a little bowl and bring it with me, i was concerned it might melt too early but when i was done showering it had not melted at all even with the humidity. I rubbed it all over and it worked just the way i wanted it to! It reminded me of the LUSH body bars, it makes my skin super soft and glowing. I also put it in my hair before every 3rd wash overnight and it leaves my hair super shiny and soft, without being greasy (after ive washed it of course) I also put a little bit of it in both my shampoo and conditioner which i like alot. It also makes a great personal lubricant. I also eat about a tablespoon a day because i heard it helps with metabolism. Basically coconut oil is awesome for just about everything

on 7/26/2012 7:03:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love this product. I have been trying to change to more natural products since they are both cheaper and better for you. I read the reviews on here before purchasing.
I have only been using it for the last few weeks as a body moisturiser. I live in Australia, and I'm not sure why, maybe I bought mine at an expensive place, but I paid 10 dollars for only 200 grams.
I wish health stores would sell them in nicer containers though. Most people buy it for cooking so the containers aren't very nice looking. That aside, I absolutely love the smell. I was expecting it to be more overbearing but it isn't. It's very slight and the smell tends to fade as the day goes on.

As a body moisturiser it has been great. It leaves my skin feeling soft and gives it a natural glow. I can see myself running out of the product very soon, so I plan to purchase some more of it already. I'm going to try it out as a hair mask as well since everyone has been raving about it on here.

Multitude of uses.
1)Combined with beeswax, sweet almond oil, olive oil, glycerin, cocoa butter and a few squirts of hemp lotion in a DIY double broiler (pan over boiling water) until melted. Works great for my very dry legs and makes my post pregnancy spider veins stop itching.
2)After sun lotion.
3)Hair moisturizer
4)In-a-pinch lip balm
5)Shaving lotion- just use a spoon to scoop some out, slather on legs and shave away.
I really like my lotion and using coconut oil for shaving my legs. I get less razor irritation than with normal shave cream.

on 7/15/2012 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

I have been using coconut oil for my dry hair for a very long time( Cant use it on my face as it will be too heavy for my oily skin). It definetely moisturises my hair. For extra conditioning I add essential oils like jojoba, teatree and rosemary. But I have found that a hair mask of yogurt n honey works better for me than coconut oil alone. Its just my opinion and not a generalisation.

on 7/15/2012 7:29:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love it.This oil works great on my hair. It also makes my skin very soft without breaking me out and absorbs quickly.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products