April 18, 2014 | 891 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Russian Red

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2010 5:33:00 AM More reviews by staciarose22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Popular... but for a reason. There are plenty of good reds for a better price but what Russian Red will give you is a practically universal shade of red with a great matte finish that isn't too dry. It can hold it's own in the lasting department and you don't even need lipliner unless you're going to do the layer effect for an all day red lip.

If you want a good cheap alternative go right for Revlon matte in Really Red. It's hard to tell them apart really. MAC's has slightly more depth in pigment, but the Revlon can do the same once the first coat sets on your lips. I also have to say the Revlon never seems to stray or bleed, and on top of that you can apply coats without it getting cakey or thick. It also probably won't dry out your lips as much. I love both equally. You'd think a more expensive lipstick is used for Mad Men, but the Revlon is what they use.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2010 11:42:00 PM More reviews by BeautyForeverKiss

I LOVE THIS! :) it's my new HG. I have finally found my favorite red lipstick... after a looong time of trying a lot of different reds! Beware: This lipstick is VERY pigmented and it has crazy staying power! I just dab a bit on my lips and just smooth it out with my fingers, and I'm good to go! I like how it looks like a natural lip stain. I usually don't even have to reapply because it lasts for hours! I'ts just amazing quality! :) :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2010 9:40:00 PM More reviews by logicoflove

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've tried at least 10 brands & shades of red lipstick, & this is by far the best I've ever used. It's a very intense matte red with blue undertones; basically a classic shade of red that turns heads. It can be a little bit drying (like all matte lipsticks) so I put on lip balm before applying it. It has crazy lasting power-- I've gotten something like 5 hours of wear out of it before eating. Even when I eat with it on, it fades in the most flattering way possible, instead of fading to a ring of colour around the outside of your mouth.

Basically, if you're looking for the perfect red lipstick, this is the one you want.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2010 3:56:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

One of my favourite shades of lipstick from MAC that I always have in my makeup bag, but don't wear as often as I use to. It's the perfect intense matte red shade with blue undertones that compliments my complexion. I always pair this with lip liner (MAC's Cherry or Brick) which really helps with the longevity of wear.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2010 2:32:00 AM More reviews by soniawonia

Red is my HG lip color, so of course I have this. Out of my 100+ red lippie collection, this is one of my favs. It bright and matte, and dry, just like I like.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2010 12:34:00 AM More reviews by heyimcortney

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If you're ever gonna wear a red lipstick, this is the one to buy! I constantly get comments on this color whenever I wear and I feel it's such a timeless look (people have been wearing red lipstick for yearsss). It also has a crazy lasting effect. In pictures too it really helps draw attention to your lips that in pictures where you're not wearing it you will be disappointed.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2010 8:52:00 AM More reviews by ns4487

I really like this blue-based red colour, although I don't often wear red lipstick, so when I do, I am quite startled by the look of this. I have NW20 skin, and this is a very full-on colour, but with my dark eyes and hair, I think it suits. I would be interested in playng around with different shades of red to see if any other ones suit me better, but at the moment, this is my fav. The coverage and staying power is great, as is the texture. Definately not one to wear with dry lips though, as it accentuates flakiness, and definately one to use with a liner. A little pricey (AUS$30), but otherwise, a nice product.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2010 6:04:00 PM More reviews by minniebee

It has a matte finish and it's a very strong shade. It looks a little dark red on me. It stays and does not come off. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2010 9:26:00 PM More reviews by GuerlainAds

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

NC35 here.

There is a reason why this color has been around for at least 15+ years. It's the perfect true bright red, neither too blue or too orange for me. Madonna made it famous by wearing it on the cover of, um, Vanity Fair (I believe) back in the early 1990s. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2010 8:49:00 PM More reviews by purpletiger79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my *red* lipstick. I love the color - very dark rich red with blue undertones - I cannot do yellow or orange undertones. I use it with MAC Cherry lip pencil and it is perfect. Russian Red lip gloss over it makes it moist, if it looks too dry.