MAC Russian Red

4.6

on 2/18/2011 9:01:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

HG red lippie! A blue-based red, so it doesn't turn into an orangey or winey color. So bright and beautiful, makes your teeth look brighter and whiter too! The best red I've tried.

on 2/18/2011 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Beautiful color for my skin tone!! Absolutely will buy again.

on 2/16/2011 1:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I'm not a red lipstick girl. Only because I think that its to "dressy" for me. But I love this. Just so pretty, flatters my nw25 skin very well. I'm a student who usually walks around campus in messy t-shirt and jeans, but I might just have to throw this on anyway! It is tricky application, but ladies, that's what lip brushes are for! :)
Love it, would buy again!

on 2/16/2011 12:55:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Russian Red is a permanent color at MAC. It is a matte formula and is another one of the more creamy matte lipsticks MAC has released. This lipstick was released in November of 2000. It is described as a intense blue-red. I find this shade to be very flattering on most skin tones including my NC20 skintone. However on some it might pull a little orange but never bad enough to make it unflattering. This was also re-promoted in Wonder Woman packaging for $1 more if you are interested in the special packaging. However if you just want the original packaging it is just $14.50 at all MAC stores and online. This red has pretty good staying power and doesn't feather like a lot of other reds I have.

Some similar shades include Revlon Really Red (matte formula), and NYX Electra.

on 2/15/2011 1:08:00 AM

I love this product very much. This is the most flattering red lipstick I own. I am actually more attracted to the brighter shade of Ruby Woo, but that formula is too drying, it's almost like chalk. Plus, it's almost always sold out here in the Phils.

Russian Red can be a bit drying, so I always wear lip balm underneath. The color payoff is amazing; one swipe is really all you need. However, I tend to apply about three coats since I have a hard time shaping my lips and I'm not a fan of lip liners.

The lasting power is really good; I wore this during the last party I attended and after we ate, I was the only one left with a decent lipstain. Some of the lipstick was gone for sure, but it affected the overall color payoff only slightly.

The color is not interesting or special, but it's a great go-to red. I couldn't help but gasp and think "I look so fierce" when I tried it on at the MAC store. It's elegant and chic. I understand why it's a classic.

on 1/29/2011 8:15:00 PM

I love this lipstick. I have a fair complexion and it looks dark, vibrant, and very sexy on my lips. I wanted it to create a gothic look, and it works extremely well. It's matte, meaning it is a bit drying on my lips, but it also means it stays on very well. I've worn it through dinner, and though I did touch it up after the meal, it was still mostly there and faded equally (rather than patchily) across my lips. This is definitely my shade of red.

on 1/29/2011 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've been sampling various reds and this is the best one I've found. I have very fair skin and even though it is a bright red, it isn't trashy looking or too harsh. It looks very retro and applies easily. Other reds I've tried are dry and cake up on my lips, this goes on very even and feels moisturizing, but is long wearing. I think this red could suit most any complexion.

on 1/28/2011 4:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have to say that this is the BEST red lipstick I have ever bought in my life! Red usually looks terrible on me...mostly because I'm clueless as to what shade of red even goes with my complexion. The first time I put this on, I was blown away how immediately with I fell in love. It looked classy, geeky chic and elegant! The texture is amazing as well! It's a matte, but it's very luxurious and velvety...not drying what-so-ever! I am definitely going to wear this next date night out with my husband *wink wink*

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this red lipstick! It has been very hard for me to find nice, true reds for my complexion (NC35). Most colors look great in the package and on me they turn orange... Not true with Russian Red. Although the base blue is not recommended for my skin tone I decided to try it and I am sooooo glad I did! The lipstick lasts a long time and doesn't move much. I still have to watch my lower lip line but not a big deal...compared to other lipsticks that slide all over, this matte red is a dream. Great for wintery days or any season, nights. When the lipstick does start to wear off (like after a nap) you should wipe the remainder off and reapply or you get a messy look. Some transfer onto drinking glasses but plenty of color remains on the lips. Love this and will buy again and purchase as gifts for others.

on 1/26/2011 6:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love the texture, love the colour! A great red lipstick!

Popular Lipsticks