MAC Russian Red

4.6

on 1/29/2011 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've been sampling various reds and this is the best one I've found. I have very fair skin and even though it is a bright red, it isn't trashy looking or too harsh. It looks very retro and applies easily. Other reds I've tried are dry and cake up on my lips, this goes on very even and feels moisturizing, but is long wearing. I think this red could suit most any complexion.

on 1/28/2011 4:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have to say that this is the BEST red lipstick I have ever bought in my life! Red usually looks terrible on me...mostly because I'm clueless as to what shade of red even goes with my complexion. The first time I put this on, I was blown away how immediately with I fell in love. It looked classy, geeky chic and elegant! The texture is amazing as well! It's a matte, but it's very luxurious and velvety...not drying what-so-ever! I am definitely going to wear this next date night out with my husband *wink wink*

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this red lipstick! It has been very hard for me to find nice, true reds for my complexion (NC35). Most colors look great in the package and on me they turn orange... Not true with Russian Red. Although the base blue is not recommended for my skin tone I decided to try it and I am sooooo glad I did! The lipstick lasts a long time and doesn't move much. I still have to watch my lower lip line but not a big deal...compared to other lipsticks that slide all over, this matte red is a dream. Great for wintery days or any season, nights. When the lipstick does start to wear off (like after a nap) you should wipe the remainder off and reapply or you get a messy look. Some transfer onto drinking glasses but plenty of color remains on the lips. Love this and will buy again and purchase as gifts for others.

on 1/26/2011 6:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love the texture, love the colour! A great red lipstick!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

my favorite lip color ever! cool-based bright red(though i't honestly wears really well on warm-based tones, as well); one of the truest reds i've seen. Matte finish is really eye-catching in addition to the bright scarlet shade; i generally go easier on my eye make up to really let it make a statement. i love how russian red make every woman, regardless of her skin-tone, look polished and dramatic. i am always appreciative of MAC's high quality and the pleasantly faint vanilla scent of their lip products.

on 1/23/2011 8:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I too like this colour & the creaminess of this lipstick very much. Sure its bright & bold but thats what its supposed to be. I wear this to work blotted down for the red stain & I wear it for evenings out. It kicks butt with black & white outfits. I really love it!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have never worn red lipstick. I have always wanted to but had this fear that I would look clown like. I'm very fair and have dark blonde hair and this compliments my skin tone really nice. You must be careful and precise with application!

on 1/17/2011 7:27:00 PM

Best bright red lipstick on the planet - no doubt about it. Russian Red and Shu Uemura Red 165 are my 2 every day bright reds (blotted, un-blotted, mixed with darker reds) -- this is *the* bright red lipstick you've been looking for -- if you've been looking for a classic bright red lipstick.

I've been using Shu's Red 165 since 1990 and just discovered Russian Red a little over a year ago - was so thrilled. Gives the best red stain when blotted.

on 1/9/2011 5:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I love this lipstick!!! It is the perfect matte red. I swatched Ruby Woo while at the MAC counter and it was a bit chalky, but Russian Red went on smoothly and beautifully. The color really stains and lasts for a long time. I've worn it all day and eaten meals, and the color still remains. It's a bright red, a little darker than a true red, and it was exactly what i was looking for. Unfortunately it's so pigmented that it's difficult to precisely apply, but that's my only complaint. Overall, i am very happy with this product and would definitely buy again.

on 1/6/2011 3:56:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Looking for a good red lipstick is tricky for my NC40/42 skintone, but finally I found my HG! Looks dark and vampy on the tube, but translates beautifully on the lips! It has a matte finish, but I don't find it drying at all, especially when worn over lip balm - which is saying much, considering I have really dry, chapped lips. Russian Red doesn't settle on the lines, nor does it dry my lips out. Incredible lasting power as well! Resists lip-licking, eating, drinking, and so on. Best MAC purchase to date!

Recommended for Medium Skin