Retin A

4.1

Retin A Cream Each g of cream contains: tretinoin 0.01%, 0.025%, 0.05% or 0.1% in a bland, hydrophilic base. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, isopropyl myristate, polyoxyl (40) stearate, purified water, sorbic acid, stearic acid, stearyl alcohol and xanthan gum. Retin A Gel Each g of gel contains: tretinoin 0.01% or 0.025%. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, ethanol undenatured and hydroxypropyl cellulose. Retin-A Liquid (0.05% Tretinoin w/w) polyethylene glycol 400, butylated hydroxytoluene and alcohol (denatured with tert-butyl alcohol and brucine sulfate) 55%

on 7/26/2009 8:33:00 AM

Okay, of course like an idiot I wanted superfast results and put too much Retin-A gel 0.01% on my skin. Now I am afraid I have a lot of fine lines where I didn't have before.

This is incredibly distressing for me. However, I now use this every second night, with rose oil or almond oil, and it isn't drying or flaking. However, I still seem to have a lot of fine lines! This is incredibly distressing.

I have heard that this product does work better after a few months and I have only been using it for one month. I also use a very rich sunscreen before makeup (I couldn't do this before as my skin was too oily) and that seems to help a lot.

Make sure you use something with SPF 40 or 50 and waterproof for the extra coverage!!

I will keep trying as I am desperate to get rid of the stupid fine lines on my forehead. I now seem to have them underneath eyes and nose area (due to Retin-A!) but the good news is that my acne breakout which I used to get when I get my period - seems to be really minimal or non-existent. This is great but not sure if it is worth the wrinkles!!

Let's hope that my collagen production increases after a while and fills out these hideous lines!!

Fingers crossed.

on 7/2/2009 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

When i first came to my dermatologish for acne, she perscribed this.
she fore-warned me that it will cause dryness and irritation as i start and that i should only use it every other day so i can get use to it.
YES it is very very drying, i was so irrtiated at looking at my skin in the begining that i gave up on this product for a while.
However i tried almost everything to tame my acne so i thought my face is already bad as it is, so who cares.
Now i've been using it for about 6 months, with the help of Levulan Light from a laser clinic, my skin has healed dramatically in the matter of 3 months.
i'm still using it on ever other night, and have tried to convert to every other night, but it still irritates my skin. i reccomend using a good moisturizer with this.
For my pores and overall apperance of my skin i cant say that seen much yet. but my scars have lighten up alittle bit.

and oh yea, dont get ur eyebrows waxed when using this. because u will end up taking part of ur skin off. It happened to me and i did some research online. Retin-A speeds up the metabolism of your skin so your skin is very thin. Getting anything wax on ur face is not a good idea.

I also read that the long term effect for this product is that it can prevent and reduce wrinkles. so i plan to use this in my routine from now on =D. being only 18 i have plently of time to prevent wrinkles.

on 6/29/2009 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I've been using retin-a 0.1% cream for about 3 years, it seems to control my break outs, they are not gone, but it helps

on 6/7/2009 9:25:00 AM

I have been using retin a gel for over 2 years now to try to combat my adult acne (of course getting closer to 30 I’m hoping it will prevent some wrinkles too). I started with the .01% gel and I buffered it every other night. Over time I slowly worked up to applying it every night un-buffered. I have tried a few times to move up to the .025% gel, but each time my skin would get too dry or irritated. I have realized that less is more when it comes to many skincare products. It took me a long time (maybe 6-8 months) to see significant results, but it was totally worth it. Now my acne is under control and I have noticed significant fading in many of my sunspots.

Pros:
-significant research to back up its safety and effectiveness.
-it does what it is supposed to do
-covered by insurance, for me this is the cheapest, yet most effective part of my routine
-eliminated the need for many other treatment products, has greatly simplified my routine.
Cons:
-can be challenging in the beginning to find the routine that works for you
-sun sensitivity, and thus the irritating process of finding a decent sunscreen

on 6/4/2009 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

While growing up, I never suffered with acne. It was only after I hit my 20s, that I began suffering with adult onset acne. There were several factors that played into such. I developed adult acne that had to do with my wearing heavy makeup on my face most of the time. Many days, I would keep my makeup on well over 9 hours on my face. And, I didn't have a set skincare regimen at all at that time. So, I eventually ended up going to see a dermatologist who began treating my skin, and started having me get facial peels (glycolic and salicylic). I was also at one time given a prescription for an antibiotic pill to take that was supposed to help with clearing up my acne, and after taking it for the first time, it really upset my stomach. So, I decided against ever going that route again. The dermatologist had me using Differin gel, along with using a cleanser that he had recommended for me to use to wash my face with twice a day, and a sunscreen lotion that he had recommended that I use every morning.

Unfortunately, the sunscreen lotion broke me out after first use. So, I stopped using it. And, I would just wash my face twice a day, and then apply the Differing gel nightly. My skin kept getting better and better until finally, my skin had become totally clear.

I eventually stopped going to the dermatologist. However, after a period of time after that i began to then start going through the cycle of breaking out all over again. So, one day, during a visit to my primary care doctor, I discussed with him about my acne, and he recommended my trying Retin-A at that time. I said okay. I started off with the 0.025 Retin-A Gel, which is very drying due to it having alcohol in it. My first couple of months using this product was the worst. I would find myself having to use thick creams on my face to moisturize it with, as it would stay so dry. I had lots of redness, flaking, and my face would feel really sore. And, my eye area had become dry and irritated as well.

I then was later prescribed the same strength but in cream version. I used that for a while. Then, I went back to using the gel version again. However, I decided that it would be best to stick with the cream version instead. Even though the gel version is most recommended for use when you have combination/oily skin like mines, I noticed it caused a whole lot more dryness and flakiness, and irritation to my face than the cream version does.

Even though I have been using Retin-A for several years (7+), I still was getting the dryness, irritation, and redness to my face. The side effects never went away. With Retin A, I honestly don't think they ever do. Retin-A did have my skin looking great for an extended period of time, however, there got to a point in which I started to see my stin start to regress, more and more. I started seeing my pores becoming enlarged and i started getting areas of hyperpigmentation on my face, as well as blackheads were starting to emerge on my face again. I decided to go back to my original dermatologist, and he has me using Epiduo instead. Epiduo did help with my acne, but the longer I stayed on it the more irritated, red, and incredibly sun sensitive my skin became. Therefore, after consulting with my dermatologist's office over these ongoing issues that I was having with Epiduo, I ended up being put on Differin Gel 0.3 %. I had originally used Differin Gel 0.1% when it very first came out, and loved the way it kept my skin clear, so Differin is what I plan to stick with (hopefully for as long as I can). Currently, when it comes to what I use to cleanse my face, I use either Olay's Sensitive Skin Facial Wash, Cetaphil's Gentle Skin Cleanser, or Cerave's Foaming Face Wash to wash my face with. I apply my topical acne medication at night. I apply the fade cream that I buy from my dermatologist's office to my areas of hyperpigmentation only at night. I apply Cordran SP, which I was given samples of to help with dryness, irritation, and flaking. And, I moisturize my face only during the day as needed (I don't have one particular brand that I stick to, as I rotate between moisturizers that I like). I also am cautious of how much sun exposure I get as well. I am unable to use lotions or creams that have sunblock or sunscreen in them at all on a daily basis, as they clog my pores badly and actually promote acne for me. Plus, I did ask while I was in the dermatologist office, if I needed to wear sunscreen. I was told, I can if I want to, but that it's not totally necessary. Which is why, I only use sun protection, when I plan on being outside for a longer period of time than usual.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I am 25 and have struggled with acne for over ten years. This product has changed my life! While my skin is skill not perfect (I always have a few small pimples, and breakouts on my chest and back), the rampant cystic acne on my face has completely healed. This was the last stop on the way to Accutane- so I am so lucky I had a new dermatologist that thought to prescribed this.

I urge anyone that has not tried this for acne, to do so. I just got a compliment on my skin from someone I hadn't seen in awhile, and who noticed the change. Let me tell you, it feels amazing!

on 5/14/2009 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I am in my early 30's and I figured it was about time for me to start on some sort of anti-aging/preventive treatment. I was looking for something that will give me results....please don't waste my time... products! I read about Retinol and the reviews on MUA were good enough for me to give it a shot. I asked my dr. for the lowest strength cream and she prescribed the HIGHEST strength (0.1%) stuff. I have Asian skin so it could tolerate it, i guess. But the first few weeks my skin was like a torn-up drive-way! Lol!! It was flaky, patchy, red and SO sensitive. Even the make-up brushes irritated me, big time. But all of sudden I woke up one morning and it was like wow! Smooth,soft, clean, clear. I am not going to brag about this too much because I don't want to jinx it...this is the best $10 (if your insurance pays for it) you will ever spend. If you could live thru the disastrous few weeks. The only downfall is...you may start to look forward to rainy, cloudy days as sunscreen is NOT optional when you are using this stuff.

on 5/10/2009 5:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have been using Retin-A 0.25% perscribed by my doctor for 5 weeks now, I have awful cystic acne on my face. I have tried various products, BHA, AHA, BP etc and nothing has really helped. Retin-A has been a miracle. My skin is not 100% clear but the improvement in just 5 weeks is brilliant. My jawline acne has cleared up, I actually look like I have lost weight as my jawline was so cystic it made me look swollen. My face is smoother and softer. It did make me worse for a couple of weeks and I still have plently of red marks, some scaring and blocked pores, blackheads and small pimples etc but I am happy with the results so far, I am going to carrying on using it and hope for more improvement.

on 5/8/2009 10:58:00 PM

I'm 52, and I'd say this is the best thing for aging skin...hands down.

I get my Retin from Skin Actives.com. You can get a test tube of the stuff and make it as strong as you like. The cost is great too. They say it works well with Vit C (they work synergistically) so I also get the Ascorbic Acid from Skin Actives too and make my own. I love that site, it lets me control what I'm actually making and putting on my skin.

I got this for the unbelievable price of $4. I live in Europe and my dad is a veterinarian, so I had him order a tube of Retin-A for me through the pharmaceutical company. They donīt ask for prescriptions and we get a very nice discount.

I had ordered the 0.025% strength, but they sent ut 0.05% instead. After my previous use of at-home chemical peels (TCA 12.5%, Glycolic 40%, Lactic 60%) I was still nervous about my skin getting red, dry or flaky. I started off with a sample of green cream level 9 which I experienced no irritatation with. Then I started using the Retin-A, at first every 2-3 days, and after only 10 days Iīm at daily application.
I only had some minor flaking on my chin (seriously, I got the same flaking from my low % glycolic acid serum!) and my skin feels more sensitive....like when I use a powder brush thatīs a bit scruffy. So I`m just a little more careful with my brushes.

After only 2 weeks the hyperpigmentation on my face (from past mild acne) is fading with almost every application! My skin is so smooth and soft, not a hint of dryness. My skintone seems more even, and has a glow to it that I have never seen before. I plan to keep on using this (less frequently then) after I have achieved my desired results. I`m 24 so I want an anti-ageing treatment that actually works!

I understand that my results considering the lack of side effects I experienced are NOT typical. I am beyond surprised about this myself. I hear that the side effects donīt appear right away, but after two weeks and the recent daily application the side effects should have been here already...but theyīre not.

This is the very best $4 I have ever spent! lol