July 24, 2014 | 1963 users online

Liquid - MAC - Mineralize Satinfinish SPF 15 Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 2 of 5 on 5/14/2009 11:20:00 AM More reviews by alliwilt

Having tried all sorts of foundations (inc GA luminous silk, MUF HD, BB moisturising, EL Doublewear, Guerlain Extreme, Studiosculpt.....the list goes on) I was realaly excited when this was launched. I have used it for a couple of months now and whilst I like the coverage, I have to agree with a previous reviewer about the glitter particles. What looks like a luminous finish from a distance, in certain lights it becomes apparent that there are chunks of glitter in this foundation. Not only that but the glitter appears to be various different colours. NOT a good look at all!! Definitely now to be left in the drawer.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2009 1:47:00 PM More reviews by amazin90

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this!!! The color match was great (NC45) and didn't turn organge, but I had two problems:

1. I really thought I was looking pretty until I checked my makeup one morning in my overhead car visor and I saw sparkly gold glitter!!! I knew I didn't put glitter on my face, so what happened? I thought it was my bronzer, so the next day I didn't wear the bronzer. I don't see any glitter in my house but in direct sunlight the very next day without bronzer.....I saw glitter!!!

2. This is the main reason I can't wear this aside from looking like a craft project is that it makes my face itch!!

I am really bummed because I so wanted to like this...:o(

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2009 1:22:00 PM More reviews by cheerz2u

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am in the middle of the road with this one. I loved the fact that it did not break me out. I loved the dewey look it gave me but it didn't last all day. I normally wear EL Double Wear so I am used to the stay power and the freshness power of all day control. I loved the fresh dew look and air brushed look it gave (when stippling) but again it didn't stay throughout the day and by the end of the day I was constantly wiping off my cell phone because of all the makeup that was on it. Other than that, I really did love this product. I just wish it lasted all day and was rub off proof like EL. I might buy again, but I doubt it. I ended up swapping my 95% full jar. But I did like the fact that it was a pump.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2009 1:12:00 PM More reviews by lgooding

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really, reallly, really wanted to like this product; however, it made my skin BURN!!! I don't know what is in this, but whatever it is that is causing that reaction on me, they need to take it out...I love the finish, though..and I would set it with the mineralized powder (looks awesome), but I just can't stand the burn...and I don't have sensitive skin by far....I just had to take this back..sorry MAC!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/12/2009 8:55:00 PM More reviews by michelleeee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm also VERY torn on this product. It has it's downsides, but it's also one of the best foundation products I have tried. Please keep in mind that I use moisturizer (CeraVe) mixed with this foundation, it gives it a better consistency while applying.

Pros:
    1. Gives really good coverage, matte/silky finish
    2. Has GREAT staying power, even without primer
    3. Easy to apply - with brush/without
    4. Not THAT bad of a price, considering it is MAC

Cons:
    1. Breaks me out on occasion! I don't know if it's because I have combo skin, but my forehead broke out bad.
    2. A little too shimmery, in my opinion
    3. Made my face REALLY oily; I highly recommend using a primer or blot powder/sheets while wearing Satinfinish

rated 2 of 5 on 5/12/2009 4:10:00 AM More reviews by Tattykins

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got this in NC20.
    It was hard to blend.
    It looked nice when I finally got it blended and matched my skin tone well, but during the day it went orange in patches. Like actually ORANGE. Gross.
    It didn't last very long fortunately.
    Lastly, it broke out my skin. And my skin NEVER gets pimples. Like, ever. This is the first time and since I have changed nothing else I blame the foundation.
    Do NOT reccomend.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/10/2009 2:42:00 PM More reviews by maddoc

I am a bit torn about this product. It has its good points and its bad points.

Good points:
    - is not totally matte, so it looks natural
    - sheer coverage
    - feels light on your skin
    - it comes with a pump, so it is really easy to apply and all that

bad points:
    - the light reflecting particles look a bit too much under the sun. i feel like i am wearing glitter on my face, but i may just be overreacting
    - it makes my face all oily and uncomfortable. i used a face blot in the mid of the day and it was soo disgusting how oily my face was

it is ok if u have non-oily skin, i guess. i liked the shade i got it in, nc 37. and it did make me look like i have naturally flawless skin. i just wished it didn't make my face so oily :(

i would prob purchase a diff type of mac liquid foundation in the future :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2009 7:30:00 PM More reviews by AliceF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I am so enamored by this foundation that I don't mind that MAC doesn't make my exact skin match and I mix NC 15 and NC 20 every day to make a perfect NC 17.5! I was looking for something a little more sheer, with moisture and luminosity and this fits the bill perfectly. Whether over primer or not, it smooths out my already good skin and makes it look energized, youthful, flawless. Unlike all of my other foundations, I find no tightness developing around my cheeks. This is one of it's strongest benefits. Whenever I decide to try something else for a day, tightness in the cheeks is the first thing I notice. Mineralize Satinfinish doesn't cause this at all.

The satin finish of this foundation should not be shied away from. It is not shimmery or garish. It is simply luminous, dewy, healthy. The mica is very fine and you never see any individual shimmers, just a gorgeous all-over glow. I used to think foundation, by definition, laid the groundwork for make-up, but this one seems to bring all of my make-up together. Where my blush used to look superimposed on my pale face, it now looks seamless, literally. Also, because the luminosity is so gentle, you can add extra highlighting if you are so inclined, but it is not necessary in most areas. I only add a bit of pearl powder/MSF under my eyes, over Blot Powder to set my concealer. It wears all day long and doesn't slide a bit on my combination skin.

The bottle is nice. I would have preferred plastic to glass in case I drop it, but oh well. It dispenses a tiny bit to a full serving, depending on what you want. I notice no offensive odour during dispensing or application.

I love this foundation and wish that they would make a concealer to go along with it!

Edit. June 25/09 I am still really liking this foundation, especially the moisture and luminous finish. I have only two complaints: One. I sweat it off in the summer heat and Two. I would have liked a little more coverage. When a SA tried Diorskin Nude on me, I saw a difference in effect of coverage. The MAC ma told me it was a lighter coverage foundation when I bought it, and that's what I was looking for, so I should not complain. Nevertheless, I really like this and it feels great on. At this point I think I will buy it again. It looks very natural on and completely melts into my skin. I can't say that about any other foundation I have tried.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2009 3:10:00 AM More reviews by pixelee

I have always been dedicated to Estee Lauder foundations despite the huge price tag. Because I've been on the pill for about 2 years now, my skin has become quite dry and because it's winter where I am at the moment, I need a foundation that really hydrates my skin. I normally use Estee Lauder Futurist in Blonde, which has always been perfect.

With the season change, and my skin becoming a bit paler I thought I'd give MAC foundations a try, even after vowing never to buy one. I had seen a MAC artist demonstrating the Mineralize Satinfinish on the site in artistry in action, and thought I'd give it a go, considering it had a cheaper price tag and looked really good on the model.

The SA helped me choose a colour, NC25 and it seemed fine at the time. I subsequently have applied it at home, with my 187 brush which gives it a nice texture, but I am completely unhappy with the colour.

At first the colour is fine, but after an hour or two it begins to look yellow and I can't help feeling like I have jaundice. I'm not happy with this foundation, and feel like it's a huge step down from my regular. I also thought I'd like the slightly sparkly effect that it gives, but after trying for 30 minutes to apply this perfectly this morning, I looked in the mirror and after 5 minutes of wear I felt greasy. The light reflective particles only make you look oily rather than dewy. I scrubbed it off, and returned to my Futurist with relief.

I think I'll return it, and get something else, but I would definitely not buy it again!

** Just swapped this item for a blush and an eyeshadow, so much happier! **

UPDATE: One of my friends has this foundation in NW20 and we have very similar complexions, I went to a MAC counter determined to try make this work and after basically telling the SA that I need a lighter colour than NC25, she swatched the NW20 on my one cheek, and then confessed she preferred this colour too. NW20 is much closer to my natural tone, and I can now wear this foundation without feeling orange and strange looking. I wear it only during the day, when the sheer coverage and texture works for me. It's not amazing but it's a decent everyday one for me, like when I need to run a few errands. I still rely on my Estee Lauder for those days I wanna look really put together.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/29/2009 1:29:00 AM More reviews by amyrah98

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really loved the way that it made my skin look when I first started using it...however, it made my skin break out like never before! It has been about a year since I used it and I still have the scars from the breakouts, which is what compelled me to write a review on this product. Definitely not a good choice for any type of acne-prone skin.