April 16, 2014 | 1587 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - the microdelivery exfoliating wash

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2007 7:55:00 PM More reviews by vanbergc

A great exfoliator! This has really mild micro-mini beads. Finer, even, than most of the aluminum crystals out there. AND, sometimes you get a scrub that exfoliates, but leaves a film behind, and you have to rewash. This cleanser, however, washes very clean, leaving soft, clear skin. It's fast and skin friendly. Love it. Another staple in my arsenal.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2007 6:40:00 PM More reviews by Poppylovee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to love this product, honestly. I ordered it online, and waited practically forever for it to arrive. I became so impatient, and maybe it was in that waiting time that, in my mind, I made this cleanser into this amazingly-fantastic-skin-perfecting dream product that it doesn't even come close to being. I like how it is fragrance-free, but, then again, I don't mind it if cleansers have a mild scent. I do like the packaging, but it isn't anything spectacular. But, these things aside, the cleanser really wasn't any miracle product. I actually would have been happier with this cleanser if it had managed to do nothing to my skin at all, but that is not the case. The first few days I used it I was fine. But after a week or so I got these little pimples around my chin (and I very rarely breakout around my chin). I stopped using it, switching back to my possibly-HG Aveda cleanser, and my skin cleared back up. I admit, that this did soften and smooth my skin slightly, but nothing dramatically different or special than from what cheaper products can do. I don't want to waste this, considering that it was expensive for a face wash, so I am using it as a twice-a-week scrub, because it doesn't seem to break me out when used just occasionaly. Maybe this cleanser just didn't agree with my type of skin (slightly combination, can be acne prone at times, but besides that, my skin is pretty much normal), because most of you seem to love this cleanser, but it's just not the cleanser for me.
UPDATE: I am changing my rating from 2 lippies to 3 lippies. This stuff now seems to make my skin very soft and smooth. I like how it lathers up nicely, too. Still not one of my favorites though, but definately not a bad exfoliating cleanser, either.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2007 12:46:00 PM More reviews by jc2239

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i received a few sample of this about a week ago, and after using it continuously for a few days, i'm absolutely in love with this. i've never been a huge fan of exfoliating cleanser, as they never seem to do what they claim, but this leaves me skin feeling clean and soft and looking great. i even got my boyfriend into this one! i'll definitely be purchasing the full-sized version for me, my boyfriend, and probably even my moher.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2007 12:04:00 AM More reviews by Elurah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

OK!. First of all, I do not own this product - Iím actually in the market for a new cleanser :o) However, I recently came upon a review by blissgirl that eluded to some rather shady ingredients in the microdelivery exfoliating wash. AHH! Rather freaked out, I did some research (answers.com, anyone? :oP), and thought it may be helpful if I shared it with you:

Diatomaceous Earth is a sedimentary rock, much like pumice, made from fossilized shells. It is in fact used as an insecticide, but only one site (Gardenerís dictionary) said that its sharp particles damaged soft-bodied larvae. The rest of the available resources said that it was not diatomiteís abrasiveness, but rather its highly absorbent nature that takes care of the little buggies via dehydration.

Even though the info is a little macabre, I guess that makes the cleanser really good at absorbing any oil. Also, the same ingredient is often used by the medical community to deworm patients, so that means people can handle it in some pretty sensitive placesÖ.

Anywho, just for reference I compared the diatomite in the philosophy cleanser to the scrub in the proactive cleanser (supposedly really gentle), which is magnesium aluminum silicate. MSDS said that they were both slight irritants in their pure form. However, I donít think that there should be any problem with either product in terms of irritation. In fact, I think I am going to buy the philosophy cleanser myself, especially after all the lovely reviews!

I guess that concludes todayís science lesson :o). Hope this was in some way helpful!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2007 11:54:00 PM More reviews by ashmiaka

recently while browsing the mall with a friend, i stopped by the philosophy counter in macys just to look. an over eager sales lady came rushing over to us, insisting on testing a few products on us. coincidence or not, i had been so obsessed with my seemingly increasingly prominent strawberry nose that i let her try the microdelivery exfoliating wash with the cloth on my face. wash, scrub, jab, poke, rinse... *poof* my skin was glowing AND upon closer look, a lot of my blackheads were gone and pores were tighter. i took one look at the used cloth and couldn't help wondering just how dirty my face was. but being that i'm not one to casually drop a fistful of cash without forethought, i told her that i'd come back later.

walking through the mall, i kept staring @ my reflection in the mirrors i passed by and every time i was in awe @ how much clearer my complexion was after one use. finally i folded just as we walked by sephora so i ran in and bought both products, absolutely delighted (and slightly guilty that i hadn't returned to macys to let the salesperson get the commission).

now i've had the wash for 2 weeks.. i have to say that i'm still impressed. i have found the best way to use the product is to slap some cold water on my face, dry my hands on the towel, shake the bottle, then squeeze a dime-sized amount onto my fingers.. then massage in circles on my face, focusing on the nose. then, of course, rinse and towel dry. blackheads not completely gone, but it has decreased A LOT. and my skin has that baby's bottom softness and healthy glow. love it. continued >>

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2007 7:06:00 PM More reviews by ocarina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Fabulous! This works well to maintain the results of the Microdelivery Peel between uses. Not too scrubby but nicely exfoliating, leaves my skin super-soft and not sticky after use. I've mostly sworn off foaming cleansers but this does not irritate my skin nor does it cause a mid-morning oil surge. Cost-effective too, very little is needed. Haven't used it to remove makeup yet. Will absolutely use it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2007 4:43:00 PM More reviews by Sallyh88

This is slowly becoming my HG morning cleanser! I love using it is the shower. It makes my skin really soft and does a nice job of exfoliating but its not too harsh, so I use it almost everyday. I only wish it smelled like the Microdelivery Peel which is heavenly but the scent of this is nothing to complain about.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2007 10:10:00 PM More reviews by curlycuesue

Before this scrub, I used Philosophy's Purity Made Simple 2x/day, and Microdelivery Peel 2x/week, so I didn't think I needed a daily scrub, but I'm glad I bought this (thanks to MUA :p). I use it every morning, and love how my skin feels afterward - so smooth and refreshed. I feel like my large pores are shrinking and my freckles and acne scars are less visible. Also, the scrubbing particles are teeny-tiny and gentle, not jagged and harsh, so I don't feel like I'm tearing my skin. Now my routine consists of using this scrub every morning, Purity every night, and the Peel once a week. I love this scrub!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2007 6:06:00 PM More reviews by jasbel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

IMO This was the only thing lacking int he Philosophy product line. The Great Mystery just wasnt cutting it. But this product is darn near perfect. I understand the concerns the other reviewers had, but my experience has been the opposite. My skin needs a good exfoiation and I alternate this w/Purity. My skin is in great shape. When I went for my monthly facial she didnt have to dig any blackheads out. Trust me that was pretty cool! I would definitely buy again... and highly recommend this product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2007 12:25:00 PM More reviews by blissgirl

Philosophy...where to begin? I loved Philosophy products, until I discovered the only thing they were doing for my skin was harming it - clogging, greasing, and aging my skin due to all of the chemicals and toxins in the products. Read the ingredients that comprise this product...diatomaceous earth?!!! Yeah it's "naturally occuring" but it's main use is as a parasite/insect killer! The microscopically sharp edges slice up the insects from the inside out and also pierce the flea/ticks bodies, which causes them to dehydrate and die. Why the hell would I rub this on my face? Do you really think this is better for skin than almonds or walnuts?! Not to mention the mixture of other chemicals and skin toxins which make up this product. Philosophy is all about marketing and advertising ingenuity, and a well-spoken creator that probably would never slap these chemicals on her own face. Scrubbing the skin causes rapid cell turnover and accelerates the aging process, which is contradictory to all of these scrubs on the market - but makes sense since they want you to purchase their chemical-laden moisturizers to "fix" what damage the scrubs do. Natural almond scrub is chemical-free, natural and is actually less-harsh for the skin, if you MUST scrub occasionally. It cracks me up how doctors and skin care companies think chemicals are the answer. Give it a few decades and then we'll see what they say. Personally, I wonít be using anything from this company again. Since I switched to chemical-free products, my skin has never looked better and I realize what a joke this company really is.