October 23, 2014 | 925 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2013 5:57:00 PM More reviews by fishers7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I hesitated for a long time before purchasing the set from sephora including two blenders and a bottle of the cleanser (which I really like as well). I use this almost anytime I use liquid foundation although sometimes I use my sigma f80. I think this gives a better finish than the f80 but sometimes I don't feel like using the sponge since it takes a little longer due to having to wet before use (yes I am that lazy sometimes haha). this never over applies my makeup yet it is really easy to build coverage with. I usually put the makeup on the back of my hand and then dot onto my face before using the blender as I am worried that if I dipped the blender straight into the makeup it might go to waste. The sponge is very easy to clean (I usually use the cleanser it came with since that is what has worked best for me) and I try to be gentle so as not to open the pores and tear it. I really like the pointed end as well for around the eye area.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2013 5:20:00 PM More reviews by UWMsGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely love my BB! I bought the pack of 2 after reading all the raves on this product and I can say I was not disappointed! I love the way it applies my foundation, it is easy to use and easy to clean and I have had mine for a year and both of them are still in great condition! If yours are not lasting a long time, then you are doing something wrong!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2013 5:14:00 PM More reviews by sarah1208

I love love love my beauty blender. It's been the only thing that applies my MUFE Mat Velvet + foundation without it looking super heavy and streaky. I just wish the beauty blender was a little less expensive/ lasted longer. I just dab my foundation all over my face, and then stipple until everything blends in really nicely.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/17/2013 3:05:00 PM More reviews by dancerwannabe

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the people who report being disappointed with the beauty blender. I had been wanting to try it for a long time, but avoided it because of the price. I finally (regretably) went for it thanks to a pushy sales girl and am pretty unimpressed.

I got the Beauty Blender pure and have been washing it after each use with Dr. Bronners soaps, but it is impossible to get completely clean. I also feel that using the Beauty Blender is a huge waste of water. You are supposed to soak it and squeeze out water before applying foundation and then it requires several "sponge-fulls" to clean it (unless I'm doing something wrong). I have had it for less than 2 weeks and only used it sporadically, but it is already starting to fray. I have not been particualrly aggressive with it. I don't understand how everyone can claim these things are easy to clean and last several months. I take care of my things, but this one already looks like it could be replaced.

I will say that with the beauty blender I can apply foundation much more quickly than with a brush. So, if you don't immediately wash it it could be a time saver. (Although, it's probably not faster than using your hands). I like the idea of the shape of the blender, but for me the pointed top part is still a little too large to be able to reach the smaller areas of my face easily. I will say I got a compliment on my make up the very first time I used it (but I'm never really sure getting a compliment on your foundation IS a compliment because wouldn't the best compliment just be being told you look great rather than your make up looking great but I digress...).

I do feel like doing the put foundation on the back of your hand and dab method wastes foundation. A lot of the foundation ends up getting soaked into the sponge.

All in all, I guess I'm glad I tried it since I would always wonder but for $20 it is absolutely not worth it. In all honesty, I wish I could return it.

Summary List:

Pros
-Can apply foundation quickly
-The rounded shape makes blending easy and the pointed shape may be easier to use for other people
-Does provide even coverage

Cons
-Price
-Wasteful (of water, of foundation, of plastic, of time, of money...)
-Difficult to clean
-Starting to fray after 2 weeks

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2013 10:44:00 AM More reviews by Cinamoon

The beauty blender is expensive but I have to say it works really well, I do not use foundation but I have dark circles with bluish tone and I have always struggled applying concealer in that area, the beauty blender does that job wonderfully I just dab a little concealer with my finger on the dark circles and then dab gently with the beauty blender the result is really nice uniform and light application for me it does a much better job than my fingers or a concealer brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2013 4:12:00 AM More reviews by PrincessBadass

I have been using a regular Mac foundation brush since I started wearing makeup (6 years ago). I started looking for something that didn't give that dragging feeling when applying thicker foundations. I also don't like the idea of using my fingers, so I bought this sponge. I found 2 for $20 on Amazon. I know they're usually more expensive at Sephora so I'd recommend looking on Amazon before buying there.

I use this sponge with Estée Lauder double wear, which is a foundation that does not budge, but yet my beautyblender is as clean as the first day I received it. The first wash did cause a little pink discoloring, but has not happened again. I use baby shampoo to wash the sponge and couldn't recommend this washing method more. I don't use the cleaner that is advertised with it or anything special. Baby shampoo will get foundation, bronzer and blush out very easily and quickly.

Definitely like the feel of the beautyblender and is kinda fun to apply with. Always dampen it first and squeeze out excess water. It's definitely worth a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2013 1:02:00 PM More reviews by suanle23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Hands down, the BEST applicator I have ever used. I hesitated for years using the BB and only bought the cheap knockoffs from Ulta. I am so glad I broke down and bought the real thing because there is nothing comparable.
This blender makes my face look absolutely flawless and I can apply foundation, concealer in no time flat. Plus, it blends cream blushes and powders flawlessly!
The price isn't cheap, as a professional MUA, I will stick to my airbrush machine for the flawless look, but worth it.
I do wish they had a little travel case for it though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2013 4:54:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Okay, I’m a believer now! I’d been using an e.l.f. brush to apply my liquid foundation, and it worked well, but my foundation looked a bit heavy.

So, I decided to take a ride on the Beauty Blender bandwagon, and that rather odd bright pink egg-shaped sponge gives me the best finish I’ve ever achieved with liquid foundation.

First, I apply my Hourglass primer, and while that’s “setting,” I mist my Beauty Blender with water. Then I dab foundation on my face, and quickly bounce the Beauty Blender over the foundation to blend. The Beauty Blender applies the foundation rather sheerly; my skin doesn’t look “flawless,” but it doesn’t look “made-up,” either. There are no “seams” or streaks visible, and that’s exactly the kind of finish I want.

I got my Beauty Blender on eBay for under $20; that seems like a fairly reasonable price, since I expect my Beauty Blender to last for a long time.

When it does eventually wear out, I’ll definitely buy another.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2013 4:06:00 AM More reviews by melly845

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Add me to the long list of Beauty Blender fans. While I don't think it is quite as amazing as everyone makes it out to be, it's a very handy product and has multiple uses. Great for picking up the excess when you accidentally apply too much blush, perfect for applying cream blush, smooths out foundation really well and gives that airbrushed look. It holds up pretty well too, mine last quite a few months before they even look like they need to be replaced. The Blender Cleanser is good too, I use it to clean my brushes as well as the BB sponge.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2013 4:25:00 PM More reviews by leslieb

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Amazing sponge! Applys flawlessly. Price is crazy though.