beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 8/16/2013 4:05:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

The only reason I would not repurchase this is I feel like I use too much product to get the coverage I want. It soaks some of it up and gets stained with the product so easily. For about $20 at sephora I was not sold. Decided not to return it and to keep trying to integrate it into my routine. It only works with a few foundations I own, not the whipped and not the thinner ones like TruMatch. But my Pur Minerals and my WnW coverall work fine with it, but sheer. Make you squeeze ALL the water out though.

I thought with the hype it might be worth it.But did not wow me like I thought it woud... Sorry guys...

on 8/16/2013 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I got the beauty blender after reading tons of good reviews about it. I didn't see the need to at first because I was perfectly content with my Sigma F80 flat kabuki brush for base makeup application but the impulsive buyer in me got the BB on a whim. My mom thinks i'm crazy to spend 20 bucks on a sponge though.

Love the way this pink egg shaped sponge applies my makeup and makes it look super natural. I usually apply my bb cream in dots over my face then bounce the beauty blender all over. I find that this gives me a better coverage.

I didn't buy the cleanser. I bought this 'detergent for puff and sponge' for 2 bucks in my local Daiso and it cleans it perfectly.

How does this compare with the F80? I feel that girls with relatively good skin will like the beauty blender's application better. For people with a few red pimples/acne marks on my skin which refuses(argh!) to go away, I find that the F80 gives me better coverage than the BB does. I usually use the BB on days where i don't see the need for full scale coverage and the F80 for days where I do.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Firstly, you should know that while I would not say I'm a cheapskate, I DO hate to be ripped off, and I do resent cosmetics companies that overcharge for items that have no business being expensive. Having said that, you might assume I'm going to say that the beautyblender is overpriced, a ripoff, a scam, etc. Not this time!

I resisted buying this forEVER, sure that is was not worth the price. I finally bought one when Alcone had a daily deal, selling them for around $12 each (Alconeco.com. They post daily deals on Twitter & FB). I almost hoped it wouldn't impress me, so I could just say, "Okay, I tried it, and it's not for me." But no, I really love it. I use it for liquid fndt, cream fndt, cream and liquid blush, and... yes... powders and powder foundations. No, it's not cakey. (Why would anyone say you "can't" use the bb for powders, just because it didn't work for them? You absolutely can. What about dual powder foundations that are meant to be applied with a damp sponge? It wouldn't work for that? Of course it would!)

The reason I don't think this is overpriced is because I've yet to find a perfect dupe, nor have I heard about any true, worthwhile dupes. They may be out there, but I've not heard about them. The bb has a special texture and surface feel, that no one seems to be able to copy. I did read that the sponges at lecosmetique.com are close, but I haven't tried them yet. Those come in fun colors and run $6 or so.

These are also available at Nigel Beauty at a discounted price if you're an industry pro. If you know someone who is, it might be worthwhile to get a group together to order their 6 packs, which are $60-something. It would be a little over $10 per sponge, plus shipping.

I also have reviews for the beautyblender liquid and solid cleansers with dupe suggestions, if you're into that kind of thing.

on 8/12/2013 12:48:00 AM

It's sad that after all these years I learned that I was applying my makeup badly. I purchased the Beauty Blender after reading the reviews and watching tutorials. The whole concept was interesting to me and to be honest, I was highly skeptical. In Australia, the sponge costs $34.95 which is not cheap, so if it did not work, I was not going to be happy. It is also very hard to get hold of anywhere other than online. Anyway, I purchased it via an online retailer and it turned up neatly packaged in a big clear plastic outer container. The sponge itself (dry) is the size of a small egg. My current foundation is Revlon Photoready BB cream and this is what I applied using the Beauty Blender. I ran the sponge under running water until it easily tripled in size and then squeezed it out in a small towel until it was just damp. I put a small amount of my foundation on the back of my hand and dabbed that fat end of the sponge into my foundation. Then I did a combination of stippling (bouncing) and blending until my makeup just looked absolutely flawless. I applied my concealer using the pointed end of the sponge using the same method. Now I was fairly amazed at this point, so I was curious to see how it would work with other foundations. Over the next few weeks, I experimented a bit and this is the conclusion I came to. This sponge is meant to be used with liquid foundations. If you use it for this purpose, you will get the best finish you have ever seen! I tried it with mousse foundations and also powder foundations such as mineral powder foundations and it doesn't work. I know some people say it does, but believe me, it doesn't, You will end up a cakey mess! I will definitely be repurchasing. I am in love with this sponge. I wish it had been around years ago!

on 8/10/2013 2:25:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

This sponge is very expensive, but it is worth it, IF you use medium to heavier coverage foundations. In those cases, it applies the foundation beautifully and more invisible than any brush, and it never looks cakey. I usually build 2-3 layers on and it still looks very natural. I have tested this with my boyfriend many a time and he agrees that he can barely see anything on my face - for those of you who care about such things :)
However, in the case of sheer foundations/ thin bb creams/ tinted moisturisers, this sponge is a bit of a waste. In those cases you will end up with almost no coverage, the sponge will absorb most of the product, and you are better of using your fingers or a brush.
Also, I own 2 pink, 2 black and 1 white beauty blender, and I have to say not all beauty blenders are created equal. The pink and black perform the same and are the best in my opinion, whereas the white one is inferior. The white sponge does not get as big as the other colours when damp, it is simply smaller (about 10% smaller I'd say) and therefore not as "squishy". It still works fine but it does mean that it is not as bouncy on your skin so makes the experience of applying foundation not as nice, and it takes a bit more time to get the same result as with the other colours. Also the white sponge stains a lot worse than the other two.
IN CONCLUSION, if you use medium to heavy coverage foundations, get yourself one of the pink or black sponges, but steer clear of the white one. If you like sheerer coverage, the beauty blender is not a must by any means.

on 8/6/2013 11:07:00 PM

I love this sponge so much the only thing I don't apply with this is my B.B creams. Now I have seen people's concern about bacteria I use beauty blender wash and Alcohol, peroxide mix no worrys. This is only 20 bucks and one sponge can last more then six months. Many of my good face brushes are between 25-55 dollars so the price is not bad along with the discount of buying the two pack. I will always buy these again!

on 8/6/2013 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have to give this product five lippies... I have stopped using all my other makeup brushes (I have a LOT) and use this everyday. Despite the high price tag, this sponge IS worth it for acne prone/sensitive/dry skin. I have been fighting acne and due to acne treatments have dry/flaky/scaly patches which are almost impossible to combat. The beautyblender is the only makeup tool that does NOT pick up dry areas. For people with similar situations (managing dryness from BP or other acne products) or people with very dry skin, this sponge is a must. There are a few downsides. It is expensive - when I saw how small it was and the price tag! Hard to go ahead and actually buy it. I clean it every single time after I use it - can be inconvenient. And it gives a very natural, dewy finish. This is good for most people, but if you want full coverage you would need to apply maybe three layers or more. You can buildup coverage with this, but it takes a lot more time and effort than other methods. But to be honest, the finish is completely worth it, weighing up the negatives and positives.

on 8/6/2013 12:36:00 AM

I was extremely skeptical about this $20 egg shaped sponge being a "miracle tool".....but, I still had to try it for myself. I have to say, this sponge is absoloutley amazing! I couldn't be any happier with this. I don't even use any other foundation applicators anymore. My face looks completely flawless when I use this sponge. I wet the sponge & squeeze out all the excess water, apply my foundation in dots on my face, & use my DAMP sponge to blend (or bounce) my foundation on. The key to making this work is to use it dampened. It is pricey, but worth it. I did not buy the cleanser that goes with this, I just use baby shampoo to clean my sponge after every use. No, the baby shampoo doesn't get every single foundation stain out of the sponge, but it gets the sponge clean enough...& I'm not spending another $18 to buy the matching cleanser just so my sponge could remain bright pink. The baby shampoo will still get a majority of the job done that is necessary. This is a great tool that I will continue to use & buy.

FYI: One sponge is meant to last about 3 months (depending on how often you use it). It could last longer if you keep it clean after every use.

on 8/5/2013 9:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I've been using my brushes less and less after purchasing this sponge. I only use it for liquid foundation and it makes it go on flawlessly. It looks like I'm not even wearing foundation and I don't have to worry about streaks across my face.

I highly recommend getting the cleanser that's specifically made to use with this sponge. It is also pricey, but well worth it. You get a lot of cleanser and it can be used with makeup brushes as well. Baby shampoo just doesn't seem to cut it with cleaning this sponge.

on 8/5/2013 9:28:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Absolutely IN LOVE! I was skeptical to try this at first as I've always been a brush user for years but I wanted to try something different and I was so impressed! I use it damp to apply liquid foundation and I stipple (bounce) it across my face and the application is flawless! I feel like my foundation seems to last a lot longer when I use the beautyblender rather than a brush or my fingers. I've been converted to using this and will always use it! The only downside is it's really hard to clean but that doesn't matter. It is quite expensive for a makeup sponger but it is most definitely worth it. If you have been considering buying this then I definitely urge you to! You will not be disappointed!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools