October 1, 2014 | 1839 users online

Masks - Aztec Secret - Indian Healing Clay

rated 3 of 5 on 10/15/2010 2:37:00 PM More reviews by alishakee

hello..does anyone knows where to buy this stuff??
i live in canada tho..thanks :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2010 1:49:00 PM More reviews by klaiyr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Thank you again MUA for supplying me with a winner!! I would've NEVER EVER known about this wonderful clay mask w/o all you wonderful MUA reviewers!

My skin tone: medium sized pores, sometimes acne prone (mysteriously got 5 zits on my face at once last month when I barely get one zit a year!), uneven, and lately I had been getting clogged pores b/c of the homemade dupe MAC Fix+ (made with pure glycerin & water).

These clogged pores were KILLING my skin. Most of them erupted into cystic zits, and some of them just stayed clogged and for the life of me, would not go away. Enter Aztec Healing Clay. I used it maybe a handful of times before... I rotate it between the honey mask and Queen Helene's mint julip mask.

Anyway, yesterday, the LAST clogged pore was FINALLY loosening up. I mixed the Indian clay + queen helene mint julip + 2 uncoated asprins + spritz of witch hazel + enough ACV to moisten the clay, mixed it in my palm, and applied it to the clogged pore and to my oily t-zone. 30 minutes later, I washed it off, and to my great surprise, the pore had CLEAN come off and the area was SO refreshed looking! You don't understand how stubborn this pore was. It was literally sitting on my face since last August and it's now Oct!

Thank you Aztec healing clay... it was a small miracle of sorts, but definitely worth keeping you around! For only $7 or $8 a tub, it'll last you a lifetime! LOVE IT!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2010 5:52:00 PM More reviews by threefoldutopia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff! I only use it with water, and let it sit till it dries.

I have a solution for people who don't want to use ACV but want a smooth application. I mix up a lot of this solution at one time - and just use it as I need it as a more liquid mask, then mix up some more. This is going to sound weird, but bear with me.

I use a small glass jar with a water proof lid. I put in the powder and add more water than I need. I usually make the water super-hot, though I don't know if this makes a difference. Then I shake the jar reallly well, and let it sit - for a day at least. The water absorbs into the clay and makes a mud. Just like in your front yard when it's rained for several days. Pour off any excess water that may sit on top of your mud, and you will have a super-smooth, silky application of just aztec clay and water that you can use multiple times before making another batch.

24 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2010 10:34:00 AM More reviews by SayItLoud

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this clay as a mask off and on for at least ten years. It definitely gets the job done. I came check out the reviews today because I am considering using it as part of my MU routine to deal with my extreme oiliness (any suggestions?).

However, I'm reading some of the reviews with people giving their recipes for use and I want to caution first time users to think twice about using them. The clay itself is very strong and it can strip the skin when just used with water. That doesn't always happen but if you have never used it and haven't figured out how long to leave it on for the best results and comfort level, you could easily experience redness and irritation. Using just water limits the possibility of harsh reactions.

The side of package does suggest adding ACV and I have done that plenty of times. It works well. But along with removing toxins and debris, the mask exfoliates skin and adding ACV increases that effect. Including essential oils may cause even more discomfort.

I'm not saying not to use them but remember YMMV and just ease into it. The clay will work no matter what you mix with it. In addition to AVC and water, I have used turmeric (great anti-oxidant, anti-irritant), honey, yogurt, eggs, neem powder (excellent antiseptic, anti-bacterial), grapeseed oil and maybe one or two other things. Each has given me the results I was looking for. But I started slowly with just water and worked up.

18 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2010 3:43:00 AM More reviews by peunwha

after i read all the good review, i bought and tried this.
hmmm... i don't see different that much. little bit smoother?? i don't know.

good : very mild and not irritating compared with other products out there.

bad: not that effective, mixing , applying , washing out, very much Cumbersome!!!

overall, it broke me out, so..2 luppies

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2010 12:48:00 AM More reviews by morg22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I first off want to say I'm addicted to this site. I have been using it the past month, mostly to find make-up and skin products that would help clear up my acne. Let me tell you, I hit the jackpot with the Aztec clay mask. It feels like you just got a facial after taking it off. It was a little weird with the tightness and pulsing of the mask, but sooooo worth it. In the past week I have ordered the Pan Oxyl face wash, and been doing a combination of the honey aspirin mask, and mixing my benxyol peroxide cream w/ aspirin and leaving it on over night, and the Aztec mask, and my skin has done a complete 180! I have to admit I just got the mask in the mail today and after putting it on, my skin felt GREEEEAT! I advise anyone and everyone, especially people with acne-prone skin to try this product. Good-Luck!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 8:23:00 PM More reviews by av315

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I just used Aztec Secret for the first time. I have normal/combination skin with pores slightly bigger than I'd like and blackheads on and around my nose and a couple on my chin. Those are officially ALL GONE.

I mixed according to the instructions, half ACV, half Aztec Secret and added a few drops of tea tree oil for its cleansing properties.

HUGE CAVEAT: I had read a couple reviews and they stuck in my head (some people said they slept with this mask on) so my friend and I left the mask on for 1.5hrs. Do NOT do this! At least not the first time! And I would not add tea tree oil, not to this mask at least. Only after I saw my face did I kick myself for not reading the instructions and relying on a few people's reviews (and my friend who had fallen asleep with this concoction on probably wanted to kick me as well). Anyway, it has been over 2hrs since I took off the mask and my skin still looks like I have second degree burns on my right cheek. I put apricot kernel oil on my face after washing the mask off and hoped for the best. I will definitely use this again WELL after my face heals. I will try it with ACV again for a much shorter period of time and, otherwise, I'll try it with water to see if it was the ACV. Either way, this mask removed blackheads I didn't even know existed until there were all these empty pores.

UPDATE: It's the next day, it has been about 20hrs and I woke up and the burn mark is now darker. I am extremely upset that in the quest for perfect skin I have what looks like a potential scar on my face. This obviously is not because of an ingredient on the mask but due to me leaving it on too long or perhaps having put too much vinegar or the tea tree oil, who knows. Just wanted to emphasize following the instructions with respect to time, I don't know how some of these reviewers sleep in this mask...definitely try it out for 10 minutes or so and see how it feels...you can always go a little longer the second time. I may have to go to a dermatologist.

UPDATE: upon the suggestion of a kind reviewer, I went out and bought vitamin E oil and luckily aloe grows wild here. I cut fresh aloe and gently patted it onto the three areas of my face where I had developed what looked like scabs and followed it with the vitamin E oil. I did this about 3-5 times per day I think (essentially, any time I realized that my skin was not oily, I put the aloe and vitamin E back on) and only put on my usual spf 100 when I had to walk outside. Usually I am all for letting my skin breathe, especially since my skin usually reacts negatively to any type of topical medication. In this case, however, I was afraid of the scabs getting dry and 'breaking off'. After just a few days, the burns seemed somewhat lighter. After a week the scabs started gently coming off on their own. About 9 days later, the last of the scabs gently rubbed off and the only thing that was left was beautiful skin!

Check out my pictures of my burn and how it looked after a week of using Vitamin E and fresh aloe every day.

Another reviewer told me that a good treatment after a burn like that was egg yolk (with omegas if possible) with turmeric. If my skin ever goes haywire again after an overzealous treatment, I'll make sure to try this!

UPDATE: I just used the mask again for the first time since the horrible burn. I used about 2 tbsp of the powder, about 3 tbsp water, 1 tbsp Rose & Glycerin water, only a couple drops of ACV to take out some of the clumps and I put in a drop of lavender EO instead of tea tree and I left it on for 15 minutes. Not using all ACV definitely leaves this stuff clumpy but oh well. I do find that the blackheads are still on and around my nose which was not the case last time. I put on a Bioré strip right afterward and my nose looked totally clear.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 8:01:00 PM More reviews by UrbanxGoddess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

OMG. I have used this for over 15 years. I am not going to waste anyone's time reading yet another RAVE REVIEW or go over all of the benefits other reviewers have taken the time to write. I will just say that it is not an over priced, over hyped product that actually WORKS!! Check out your local wholistic market and pick this up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2010 6:16:00 PM More reviews by riotkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was looking for a replacement for my old usual mask, Queen Helene Mint Julep. I just don't like using products with added fragrance or color. This fits the bill. Its the same clay you find in almost all commercial clay masks, with the benefit of it not having anything else. I make mine with apple cider vinegar (ACV) and a dollop of honey. I find that the honey keeps it from being to drying, plus honey is a great natural humectant and has anti-bacterial properties.

I leave it on about 20-30 min and then wash off. I find that the best way to get it off is too thoroughly wet the face, let the water soak into the mask and then gently scrub it off the face. You will get the added benefit of exfoliation.

This also works as a hair mask, which I had read about as a way to deep clean the hair and scalp. It really works. Wet you hair, towel blot and mix up a generous amount of mask. my hair is about 3 inches past my shoulder and I used about 1/4 cup of the clay powder added to 1/4 cup mixture of half water/half ACV and a tablespoon of honey. I may also add a little more water as I like this thinner than the mask I make for the skin.

Section off the hair. I make 4 sections. Work the mask into the hair in scalp making sure it is all coated. You can find some youtube videos on how to do this if you look up "clay mask for hair". I then wrap my head up in a plastic bag, and cover with a towel. You don't want this to dry. Leave in about 20-30 min and then rinse thoroughly. I wash it out with Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner. But a conditioner wash with a cheap conditioner like Suave Coconut will work too. Don't use a traditional shampoo, its too drying. I find that I restore my hair softness faster if I do an ACV rinse after washing it, but its not necessary though your hair may feel a little stiff if you don't. Follow with a deep treatment. I like Curl Junkie Curl Fix, and I leave it overnight on the day I do a clay mask. Then next morning I rinse and style as usual. My hair will feel lighter, have a lot of shine and be very clean.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 3:30:00 PM More reviews by spriley1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Skin background: oily skin, prone to breakouts mostly on my forehead and cheeks near my mouth and I scar pretty easily. I was sick of my acne so I tried Acne Free thinking it would help but NOOOO it was a terrible waste of money. The benzoyl peroxide in this wayyyy harsh system made my skin red, flaky, dry, tight especially under my eyes I literally had WRINKLES. I had crows feet. I'm 19 years old. After that I decided I was going to try an all natural skincare regime and now I'm using: Dr. Bronner's tea tree oil soap, witch hazel toner, pure jojoba oil as a moisturizer, pure tea tree oil as acne medication and this clay.

My skin now: CLEAR, smooth, no whiteheads lurking under the surface, no blackheads, no pimples, NO CYSTS, scars are still there but I might try an AHA lotion to get rid of those, but mostly CLEAR CLEAR SKIN. I haven't had clear skin since I was 13. It's just a testament to the power and gentleness of natural products.

I definitely attribute most of this marked improvement to this clay. It's amazing, I saw clearer less congested skin on the first application. I've applied it for two weeks every 2-3 days and it's seriously a miracle. Other reviewers have talked about what it feels like so I won't go into it, but I do suggest mixing it with apple cider vinegar and NOT water as the first time I mixed it with water and it was a clumpy, nasty mess. Still worked beautifully but it was a pain in the ass. The ACV makes it smooth and almost a whipped consistency. This clay is basically a vacuum for yours pores and gets everything out, oil, dirt, blackheads, whiteheads, bacteria, you name it. When I wash it off my skin is soft, smooth, a bit red (only for around 20 minutes) and BLACKHEAD AND WHITEHEAD FREE. I always moisturize with jojoba oil after because I don't want it to dry my skin out. In conclusion: this is a miracle product and my HG face mask and it's awesome for oily or acneic skin. GO BUY IT. Plus I got a HUGE 2 pound container at Whole Foods for $10. It will probably last me a year.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No