September 17, 2014 | 1272 users online

Masks - Aztec Secret - Indian Healing Clay

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2010 6:16:00 PM More reviews by riotkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was looking for a replacement for my old usual mask, Queen Helene Mint Julep. I just don't like using products with added fragrance or color. This fits the bill. Its the same clay you find in almost all commercial clay masks, with the benefit of it not having anything else. I make mine with apple cider vinegar (ACV) and a dollop of honey. I find that the honey keeps it from being to drying, plus honey is a great natural humectant and has anti-bacterial properties.

I leave it on about 20-30 min and then wash off. I find that the best way to get it off is too thoroughly wet the face, let the water soak into the mask and then gently scrub it off the face. You will get the added benefit of exfoliation.

This also works as a hair mask, which I had read about as a way to deep clean the hair and scalp. It really works. Wet you hair, towel blot and mix up a generous amount of mask. my hair is about 3 inches past my shoulder and I used about 1/4 cup of the clay powder added to 1/4 cup mixture of half water/half ACV and a tablespoon of honey. I may also add a little more water as I like this thinner than the mask I make for the skin.

Section off the hair. I make 4 sections. Work the mask into the hair in scalp making sure it is all coated. You can find some youtube videos on how to do this if you look up "clay mask for hair". I then wrap my head up in a plastic bag, and cover with a towel. You don't want this to dry. Leave in about 20-30 min and then rinse thoroughly. I wash it out with Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner. But a conditioner wash with a cheap conditioner like Suave Coconut will work too. Don't use a traditional shampoo, its too drying. I find that I restore my hair softness faster if I do an ACV rinse after washing it, but its not necessary though your hair may feel a little stiff if you don't. Follow with a deep treatment. I like Curl Junkie Curl Fix, and I leave it overnight on the day I do a clay mask. Then next morning I rinse and style as usual. My hair will feel lighter, have a lot of shine and be very clean.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 3:30:00 PM More reviews by spriley1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Skin background: oily skin, prone to breakouts mostly on my forehead and cheeks near my mouth and I scar pretty easily. I was sick of my acne so I tried Acne Free thinking it would help but NOOOO it was a terrible waste of money. The benzoyl peroxide in this wayyyy harsh system made my skin red, flaky, dry, tight especially under my eyes I literally had WRINKLES. I had crows feet. I'm 19 years old. After that I decided I was going to try an all natural skincare regime and now I'm using: Dr. Bronner's tea tree oil soap, witch hazel toner, pure jojoba oil as a moisturizer, pure tea tree oil as acne medication and this clay.

My skin now: CLEAR, smooth, no whiteheads lurking under the surface, no blackheads, no pimples, NO CYSTS, scars are still there but I might try an AHA lotion to get rid of those, but mostly CLEAR CLEAR SKIN. I haven't had clear skin since I was 13. It's just a testament to the power and gentleness of natural products.

I definitely attribute most of this marked improvement to this clay. It's amazing, I saw clearer less congested skin on the first application. I've applied it for two weeks every 2-3 days and it's seriously a miracle. Other reviewers have talked about what it feels like so I won't go into it, but I do suggest mixing it with apple cider vinegar and NOT water as the first time I mixed it with water and it was a clumpy, nasty mess. Still worked beautifully but it was a pain in the ass. The ACV makes it smooth and almost a whipped consistency. This clay is basically a vacuum for yours pores and gets everything out, oil, dirt, blackheads, whiteheads, bacteria, you name it. When I wash it off my skin is soft, smooth, a bit red (only for around 20 minutes) and BLACKHEAD AND WHITEHEAD FREE. I always moisturize with jojoba oil after because I don't want it to dry my skin out. In conclusion: this is a miracle product and my HG face mask and it's awesome for oily or acneic skin. GO BUY IT. Plus I got a HUGE 2 pound container at Whole Foods for $10. It will probably last me a year.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2010 1:09:00 AM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

DIVINE! This is such an amazing product. I have several uses for it. I want to share with people, so I wanted to put my uses, recipes, and how it works for me.

Face Mask:
1 heaping tbs Clay
1 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tbs Olive Oil
1 drop Lavender Essential Oil
1 drop Chamomile Essential Oil
1 drop Tea Tree Essential Oil
I put it on with a paint brush, then let it sit until it dries. I wear makeup everyday and use very moisturize pretty heavily. This clears up all the buildup I get in my pores and leaves my skin feeling super soft. It also helps keep my complexion even.

Spot Treatment:
1/2 tsp of Clay
1/4 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
I just dab a bit of this mixture onto any pimples that I get (although I get them rarely) and leave it on over night. It dries out my pimples without leaving a dry patch.

Body Wrap:
1 heaping cup Clay
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 drops Lemon Essential Oil
2 drops Orange Essential Oil
2 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
I use Yogi Detox Tea to soak my wraps in (I just got regular bandage wraps that I can wash). I cover myself in clay, then wrap the bandages around myself, put on my cheap sweatsuit, and let it sit for about an hour. I usually do this once a month with my henna. It's really helped me while I've been losing weight. I don't have any stretch marks and my skin has tightened up very much. It also helps my kp and keeps my skin super soft and glowing.

The price is amazing and the variety of ways that you can use it is endless. I would definitely recommend it and I will of course be purchasing again!

22 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2010 5:29:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Dirt cheap! Pun intended. As I write I'm experiencing my very first Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay mask, and all I can say is "OMG!" This is incredible! It really does pulsate and it's cooling, it's, it's so-weird. I used a tiny amount of powder in a small plastic kiddie feeding bowl mixed with a plastic spoon and a little water to make a paste, washed and dried my face, then smeared it on. I'm gonna do the full 20 min-I don't care if it leaves my face red. My husband is not due home for at least 1 hour and I'm not going anywhere tonight. I'm obsessed already. I got it for a total of $7.81 from Zerbo's online, shipped UPS. My face is just throbbing, my goodness this is odd! I cannot move my face or speak. I love it. You get 1 lb of product for the price and I would definitely say this is a good buy and I will be buying again! It'll take a while to use it all up seeing as I only had to use less than a whole small spoonful. Everyone should experience this at least once in their life!
Addition: ok, 20 min are up, and that's good because it was starting to burn and itch. I love it! Weird, I know. I washed it off with warm water then splashed on cool and my face was definitely glowy, but in no way beet red. I misted down my face with rosewater then applied Garnier Moisture Rescue gel-cream (your face will be dry so you must moisturize) and I'm good. I love this mask. It tightens to a point it distorts your features and your mouth puckers up! Funny and fabulous. So far, so good.
Another addition, 5 mins later: I just applied some cortisone cream--kinda itchy. This mask will really suck all the oils outta your skin! My goodness! Maybe I shouldn't have left it on for the full 20 my first time? You know what? I don't care. I still chalk this up to a great experience. Please don't let any of this scare you out of trying it--it's so worth it. Just adjust the process to your needs and all should be well. I am glad however that I did not use ACV. Number one I HATE the smell and number two, I don't think my skin would have been happy and in turn I would not have been happy. Water is it with this clay for me! You do get little blobs when you apply but it's not bad and in no way disturbs the application process, IMO.
Another addition (9/11/10): I used this mask again this morning and immediately upon removal I applied Bio-Oil, and there was absolutely NO irritation or redness or itching! Now I am truly happy. I figured out what works for my skin!
Yet another addition 9/15/10: I mixed half water and half Bragg's ACV and my face came out significantly redder upon removal of the mask. Very, very glowy to say the least. I washed then applied Garnier Anti Sun Damage SPF 15 and wore nothing else on my face. Scent of ACV does disappear after a while while mask is on but still don't know if it's any better than just water and clay...

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2010 3:46:00 PM More reviews by thevnilly

I've been on the hunt for an amazing mask for years. I've tried just about every mask under the sun to help with my oily/blackhead/occas. acne skin. After reading the glowing reviews for this product I decided to pick it up at Vitamin Shoppe and give it a try. 1lb. for $8 wasn't bad, so what the heck!

I use it w/ACV & have found that if I add about 1 tsp. of honey to the mix it makes it a little less tight & a little more tolerable to wear. Once you get the hang of how much mix to use, it's easy to whip it up quickly.

I've used it everyday for the past 4 days & feel that it's helping reduce little pimplies & dry patches on my face left over from healing pimplies. Give it a try ladies! What have you got to lose?

**Update** Sometimes I end up with more zits, but that's probably because gunk is being pulled to the surface. I also prefer to mix it with some neem powder. I really try to limit my use of this product as not to irritate it. I'll usually only break it out now whenever my skin's acting up (around my time of the month). My absolute favorite way to use the clay is by mixing it with my cleanser when I wash my face. It gently exfoliates and is especially refreshing after a hot, sweaty day.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2010 11:45:00 PM More reviews by AmyDbaby

I used this 20 years ago and just picked it up again. It's good stuff. I don't really have much more to add to all the glowing reviews. Just add me to the bunch. \who love this stuff.

This stuff tightens something awful while it dries but it works some magic on my face. I can't handle it with ACV so I just use water. I just wish I could figure out how to make a smoother paste. Mine is always so lumpy. Anyway, this is much cheaper than my usual DDF sulfur (although this does not have sulfur obviously) and seems to work just as well. It's a little uncomfortable to wear but the results are worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2010 10:38:00 AM More reviews by Insidia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This product has worked wonderfully for me. I use it about 3x per week and am consistantly left with cleaner, tighter pores. The 1 lb. jar is extremely cheap and lasts for months. The formula is nonirritating, but the mask does get uncomfortably tight as it dries -- it literally sucks the debris from your pores. My only qualm with this product is the scent -- when mixed with raw ACV, the clay powder takes on a horrifying smell. Despite this however, I recommend it wholeheartedly and will definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2010 12:05:00 AM More reviews by beautiful71

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this product has helped myskin dramatically.I HAVE VERY OILY SKIN AND CYSTIC ACNE, BLACK HEADS, WHITE HEADS. IN THE PAST TWO YEARS MY SKIN HAS WENT FROM MILD ACNE TO MODERATE/SEVERE ACNE. this is my holy grail!!!!i use this about twice a week and my skin looks better less blackheads with each application, my scarring and acne is almost completley gone. This product is more for the oily/combination skin. i will never go without this again !!!!

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2010 11:37:00 PM More reviews by heavengirl1390

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Other

Best mask ever and can be customized to my special red, flaky, oily, and pimple face! I can't live without this!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2010 9:32:00 PM More reviews by bufuzeren

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It's price really cheap! right for oily skin ,fine