September 23, 2014 | 1844 users online

Liquid - L'Oreal - True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2012 7:09:00 PM More reviews by Lydia07

I thought this might be a good substitute for my bobbi brown skin light coverage foundation. It looked good when I applied it, not too heavy. It didn't wear that well but just basically wore away which is ok- better than oxidizing or being patchy BUT like a lot of others on here it broke me out. Forehead, chin, my skin is breaking out for first time in months after wearing this for a couple days. Its going back to store and I'm giving my foundation brush a thorough cleansing. Have a mask on now trying to get this stuff out of my pores.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2012 10:26:00 PM More reviews by xhalite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

First review, and normally wouldn't feel compelled to review something, but after the havoc this wrecked on my skin, I figured I'd write something up. I wanted to like this so bad! I guess the advertising, the packaging, and the name really drew me in... but alas, it made me break out worse than when I was a teenager. My skin is fairly sensitive, and oily in the summer (not helped by the hot and humid climate I live in), so maybe this would work for someone in a less harsh climate?

I wore this once and I really liked how it looked on: like I wasn't wearing makeup and just happened to have great, luminous skin. I did notice some oiliness after a few hours, especially on my forehead. The next day however, I woke up with 5..*5* angry red pimples on my cheek, near my mouth, an area I never break out in. It's been about two weeks, and even with alot of TLC they still haven't faded as well as I'd like :(

To be fair, I did only use it once, and it could very well not have been the foundation, but I felt uncomfortable trying it again after the breakout. Back to the store.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2012 4:03:00 AM More reviews by mzlovely

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely love the finish, the dewy look and the natural glow it gives to the skin. It provides excellent coverage for my acne scarring.

Now it's not that this doesn't stay put through a long day that bothers me. It is the breakouts I have gotten.

Twice now, I have noticed after washing this make up off that I have had either new arriving pimples coming to the surface or extremely red agitated irritated pimples flame up. And this time I have been on strict medication for my acne that has kept my face acceptionally clear.

If you are acne prone like me, please beware. It might harm your skin as it did mine and a few others I read down below me.

And it's quite odd because this product claims to "improve" your skin, yet the last two times I have used it, it has only harmed my skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/17/2012 7:10:00 PM More reviews by shellygrrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I've been wanting to try this out since seeing it featured on Youtube and seeing it mentioned elsewhere online.

If I wore regular True Match, I'd be a W1, so I picked up W1-2. It is a little bit darker than that; however, blended in, it's fine. I put on a very sheer layer (a pump's worth of product) on my cheeks and chin to test it out (no primer underneath). But about half an hour or so later that part of my face started to feel tingly and itchy. In the ingredients list, under "May Contain", one of the ones listed is Bismuth Oxychloride, something typically found in mineral foundations and a known skin irritant. I suspect this is in the bottle I picked up, and would explain what I experienced. (I don't think it's other allergens like Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, or Oxybenzone, as I can wear foundations and other products with these ingredients without issue.)

Beyond the irritation issue, I like the fact it comes in a pump, and that there is a somewhat decent shade range, although it could be better (original True Match comes in 33 shades compared to TM Lumi's 15). The finish is satiny; personally, I didn't notice much luminescence (but then I probably didn't have this on for long enough to be sure of that!). I think if you're a fan of NARS Sheer Glow, you want to spend less money, and your skin doesn't react to Bismuth Oxychloride, this may work for you.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2012 3:24:00 AM More reviews by swtxos

Most expensive drugstore foundation ever.

O_O I paid $21CAD (including tax)!! I mean, I know it has a fancy glass bottle container and a pump, but come on, it's still a drugstore product. I let this one slide because it's a newer product and they may mark it down in the next few months.

I think L'Oreal is taking a huge risk with putting out a product with a dewy finish such as True Match Lumi because I feel that a majority of women have oily/combo/normal skin and would appreciate foundations that are more oil-absorbent. Lumi is definitely made for normal to dry skin ladies who want to add life/luminosity to their skin (without the glitter particles). The dewy finish is absolutely beautiful and I do find that it radiates the face, almost like a glow from within look --albeit, I always top my foundation with Guerlain Meteorites powder in Tient Rose 01 so that may have something to do with it as well. Just keep in mind this does not absorb oil at all which means you must dust a light film of powder over your face to set it if you want it to stay and touch-ups with powder throughout the day is necessary to keep the oilies at bay. I have dry skin so I don't usually need to touch up when I'm out.

I felt like the coverage was medium, and that it was easily buildable. Lumi blends so effortlessly, reminiscent of high-end foundations. It has an SPF of 20, which is pretty high for a foundation (normally I see SPF between 8 and 15 in drugstore foundations).

The colour selection is fine at the moment, but they can come out with more yellow-based foundations as I find the "W's" still slightly pinkish. I wear W5 at the moment (slightly darker than my skin, but W4 was PINK!) and as I get darker throughout this month I think W5 will suite me fine. I'm contemplating to go back and get W3 in case I want to mix the two colours for a better match.

I do like this foundation, it wears comfortably on me. I have not worn it long enough to see if it breaks me out, but I will certainly update if it does.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2012 7:45:00 PM More reviews by jrbee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this foundation. I was a C7-8 and it matched well and looked great when first applied, however, the whatever they put in it to make it look luminous and dewy made my skin like an oil slick after only two hours, even using several oil control products under my makeup. At first I thought it was just my super oily skin, until I tried other foundations by L'Oreal and Revlon (and several higher end brands, too) and didn't have that problem.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2012 3:01:00 AM More reviews by emgb

I really hoped to like this but nope, didn't happen. Always really take even positive reviews with a grain of salt because I banked a lot on one or two people here with acne-prone skin saying it didn't break them out and surely enough, I have broken out terribly. For about a week I have had three large, painful pimples with no sign of going away and I know this was the cause. It might be the extra/stronger sunscreen in it because I don't usually have this problem with L'Oreal makeup. I'm very fair-skinned and used the W1-W2 shade and I'm normally a W1 with regular True Match, and this combining of those two was too dark. The pump is amazing and the foundation blends effortlessly and has the nice initial finish that all True Match makeup does, but after about an hour it was makeup meltdown for me. It made my skin greasy and oxidized into some whack color; orange in some areas and dark beige in others. And I lament again about the breakout, it is really disappointing. The regular True Match has its flaws like it settles into lines, accentuates any skin dryness, etc. but it doesn't have the bad effects that this does for me. I have used TM, Infallible and Visible Lift, and the Lumi Healthy is definitely in dead last in my rankings. I don't recommend, specifically for those with pale and problem skin.

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2012 6:12:00 PM More reviews by pixiehottie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

PROS: "Lumi" usually means sparkles, this has none
Pump = good

That's where it ends.

I've tried everything under the sun to make this work for me. 3 different primers, no primer, setting powder, no powder, applying a little, applying a lot, an assortment of brushes, and fingers. All failures.

Makes skin "glow" for about 5 mins, then the "glow" turns into an oxidizing greasy mess. This absolutely does not dry or set on me. Stays tacky ALL day.

I will give it one more go once the weather changes. Same results, in the trash it goes.

9 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 12:26:00 AM More reviews by Carolannsmile

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

One word for this foundation: LOVE. I was rummaging around Target, and the bottle caught my eye. Well, why not? I thought. Man, am I glad I followed my gut on this one! This foundation suits me excellently. I am the shade W1-2, and it's a fabulous match- maybe a *little* pale for me since it's summer, but not enough to be noticeable to anyone but myself. Come winter, I imagine the shade will be perfect. Finish-wise, I love the glow. I'm currently on Accutane, and while my skin has no flaky patches to speak of (I'm religious about moisturizing), it can look a little on the dull, flat side due to dryness. This foundation gives me a lovely illuminating glow that never looks shiny or greasy. I simply set with a bit of powder, and am set for a full day! The coverage is light to medium, which is fine by me- due to the success of the Accutane, I've got nothing to cover up- so I don't mind! Also, love the pump. It's so much more convenient than wrestling with a wide-mouthed bottle. Keep up the good work, L'Oreal, you've found a fan for life with this one!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2012 6:38:00 PM More reviews by ammasprajna

I needed a slightly darker foundation for summer when I use a little bit of self tanner. I didn't want to shell out for another MUFE Hi Def because I knew I'd only need this foundation occasionally and I also wanted one with spf. I noticed this at Walgreens and was really uncertain about the color—W1-2 & N1-2 looked like passable shades for my normal skin tone, but W3 and N3 seemed like a big jump. I wish they'd just make a W2 and N2. It seems like a lot of people are complaining about this very issue.

Anyway, I bought W3 and figured I could mix it with my Paula's Choice Best Face Forward foundation in Best Bisque if it was too dark. First I tried it alone, and it was too dark, as expected, but the finish, feel and light coverage were really nice. This will be perfect if I go heavier on the self-tanner at some point this summer. But I did see a line at my jaw, so with my second try I mixed it 50/50 with the PC, and it came out beautifully.

So overall it's not an HG foundation (a true W2 or N2 might've made me a believer, but these don't quite fly in the original True Match, either), but it's a good one to keep in the toolbox for blending and mixing up. I might grab a N1-2 for blending, as I really like the finish and wear of this. It does give a gorgeous, dewy finish that didn't turn my oily areas too oily and also didn't make my dry spots look flaky. I used PC Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Concenntrate and Moisture Gel underneath.

Good stuff. Recommended, if you can work out a color match.