July 30, 2014 | 1425 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 2 of 5 on 7/21/2012 6:20:00 PM More reviews by ohmymollysue

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really wanted to love this foundation. I have been searching for my HG foundation for years and having acne prone, sensitive skin, it's been quite the hunt. I wore this foundation a couple times for just a few hours, maybe around 4 and it wore terribly after just 2. It made my laugh lines look like that of a 50+ year old, settled into every pore and highlighted my dry spots. All while NOT covering my acne at all. I don't see how this can be considered full coverage, it's medium at best. I really like the consistency of it and how it comes in a squeeze tube but the formula does not last and the finish leaves something to be desired. Also, I've been on Retin-A Micro for a couple months and my moderate acne has gone from bad to basically one or two spots. However after wearing this foundation for two days in a row last week, I literally have 6 new cystic spots on each cheek and I haven't changed anything else in my routine. After being clear for the past few weeks thanks to the Retin-A, dealing with a major break out like the one this crappy foundation caused is discouraging and truly upsetting. BEWARE!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2012 1:20:00 AM More reviews by bobadreamer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this foundation, I don't know if it's holy grail, but I like it. Doesn't seem to break me out (I'm pretty acne prone, so I'm always breaking out for one reason or another.) It feels very light on the skin, that's what I love! It's a lovely mousse like texture that feels light on the skin yet offers great coverage. I had pretty noticeable acne scarring on my cheeks and this covers it really well I could get away without concealer if I wanted to since they are mostly covered with this foundation.

If your acne scars are very light or you only have to cover redness, you can use this by itself with no concealer.

I bought this on QVC and it came with the Bamboo foundation brush, though I find I like it best applied with my fingers as I feel using the brush wastes a lot of product. I work with half a pea size amount at a time (the tube is great for getting the exact amount of product you want) and rub it onto my face and it is not streaky or patchy at all.

I'm between an NC30-NC35, and I use this in Medium. I want to try Light-Medium but the website says it's cool-toned so I stick with warm-toned Medium. It's a touch dark for me but I just blend a bit of bronzer into my neck and it solves this problem.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2012 1:44:00 PM More reviews by pinknika

I used up the whole entire tube of this, I considered re-purchasing it, but the price was kind of getting in the way & other factors. I did buy this off QVC and got the brush as well.

At first I hated this stuff, I applied too much because I needed the coverage, only to end up looking like some crazy theater performer. I tried again, this time in small amounts and buffed and buffed. Better.

I have really oily skin, and its too bad this stuff doesn't last because I could have really liked it and repurchased if it did. I work from 8-5 so at 5, I get home look in the mirror and look really patchy and oily.

It doesn't seem to cover that well either, I have acne scars, redness and a few pimples and the only real way to cover them is to really apply a lot. This was in the beginning, my skin is a little better now and this can cover minor things. I think this would be great if you had amazing skin.

Bottom line, if you have really oily skin, skip it, if you have normal balanced skin that needs some coverage, get this. The colors were good to me too, I got the light and it worked good, maybe a teeny bit dark for me, but I don't like looking ghostly in the face.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2012 8:53:00 PM More reviews by RebeccaD

I've been using this for a couple of months, and I really like it. I had my doubts at first because I am not used to full-coverage foundations, and the formula is thicker than I am used to. But after using it for a while, I have to say I love the way it evens out my skin while still leaving a nice satin finish. A little goes a long way too, so it doesn't take much to work. The foundation spreads across and melds into the skin very easily. I've been using the Real Techniques Expert Face brush to apply it, and I get a very smooth finish. I get good wear out of this. I am not sure about the 12-hour claim, but this definitely lasts a normal day for me even in this summer heat. I have light skin - NC20 for reference - and the shade Ivory is a match for me. The one minus with this foundation though is the limited color selection.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2012 3:17:00 PM More reviews by deltadawn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have never made a review on any makeup/skincare product ever in my life, but I have been using Tarte products for quite some time now too, but since using this product, and switching from an older line of foundation of theirs that I had already loved too, I am in awe! This is a fabulous product, and at my age, needing more full coverage makeup now, without looking caked on or chalky, I can't say enough about it! Not to mention chemical free products which I have been using for years now, to find my holy grail in makeup foundation is amazing! My teenage daughter now uses it as well and loves it! I highly recommend this foundation for anyone of any age or skin type. I have dry/combo skin, I do not break out and it keeps me moisturized and not to mention love the SPF! A must try!! Keep up the great work Tarte! A fan of your line forever!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2012 11:03:00 PM More reviews by jesiwonders

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm in a love-hate relationship with this foundation. I am an NC20 for your reference. I was matched to the color light, which was too dark for me. I'm not too excited about their limited shade selection. It gives a nice, medium to full coverage (my favorite). With a soft dewiness to it. I do like the consistency, it is sort of like a whipped mousse. It blends like a dream, but sadly, It doesn't live up to the '12 hour' hype. Will not be re-purchasing.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2012 11:31:00 PM More reviews by Scruffy892

I got a hefty sample of this from a lovely Sephora employee--SO glad I didn't purchase it. I have been going through a foundation hunt lately, and it's not going so well. This was one of the less impressive ones I tried.

1) It is NOT full coverage. We can argue about what full coverage means, but I will never consider this to be even in that range. I had to build and build and build to get it to a good medium and then as it sunk into my skin, the coverage would lessen. I had to use a lot of product, so the seemingly good value of the large tube was nullified.

2) It looks dry and uneven the more you apply. Just. Not. Buildable. If you need light to light-medium coverage, though, I could see this looking nice for you.

3) It fades throughout the day--mainly the sinking into your skin issue.

4) The color was glorious. I'm about a neutral MAC level 15 (NC is too yellow, NW too pink), and "Ivory" was a nice fresh-looking neutral with an ever so slightly warm tinge.

5) I don't know what Amazonian clay is, if it's real, or some makeup company marketing BS, but when I took this stuff off, my skin was so clear and bright and translucent, that I toyed with the idea of buying it as a skincare product, because my skin NEVER looks like this. And it really looks like crap after I remove my makeup. Make of this what you will...

Bottom line: It fails to be what it is marketed as (long-wearing full coverage foundation), but if you want a lighter coverage foundation that seems to be good for your skin, it's worth a try.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2012 8:02:00 PM More reviews by MacPops

I love this foundation. I prefer to apply lightly with the Tarte brush which comes with the set at QVC. The coverage is remarkable and it doesn't look like I have on a mask as long as I apply lightly with the brush. It is also a good value compared to many other brands. LOOOOOVE it!

updated: I still like this foundation a lot; however, my skin is changing. My skin is getting much dryer, and though I can still make this foundation look great with minimal effort, the look doesn't last. It doesn't matter what sort of primer I use underneath, by the end of the day, this foundation has creased in several places. It's a thick makeup, and there really isn't a way to thin it out. Overall, I think it's more suitable for oilier skin types. Also, the colors are just a bit too yellow for my truly neutral skin-tone. It's workable, but I want something not quite so yellow.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/25/2012 11:11:00 PM More reviews by breatheformusic

I really liked this foundation. I really really want to 100% completely love every aspect of it though so I could finally say I found my HG...but unfortunately I don't. Let's start with the pros though:

This goes on VERY smoothly and with a little amount. Very easy to blend overall.

Looks AMAZING when you first apply it. I absolutely loved the finished look when I first applied it- more than any other foundation I've ever tried. I even saw a friend about 15 minutes after I put it on and immediately they said "Wow, your skin looks amazing today."

Hasn't seemed to break me out or anything like that, which is always good because I have sort of sensitive skin. I'm not sure about daily use yet, however.

Looked very natural for the most part. It wasnt at all cakey on me at all either. It also provided pretty good coverage. I only need really a light to medium coverage and this actually provided me with maybe even a little bit more than I really needed. So when they say full coverage, I'm not doubtful that it probably works all right as that.

CONS:

Even with using an oil control primer and setting it with powder, after about an hour and a half or so, I started to shine. Didn't work too well at controlling my oil.

At hour three or so, it seemed to almost be coming off a bit. It wasn't TOO noticeable but it didn't look nearly as good as when I first put it on.

-I'm giving this 4 lippies mostly because of how amazing it looked when I first put it on and for the first hour and a half or so. It isnt a bad foundation...I've definitely experienced worse as far the staying power and shine goes, but like I said, it doesn't do much for my oily skin and seems to wear down maybe a bit quicker. Im used to using Hourglass Immaculate which controls my oil a lot more and seems to have a better staying power, but I liked the look of Tarte a lot more. So its sort of disappointing that it doesnt work as well for me.

Update: I wore this out yesterday for about 4 hours or so. I didnt get a chance to really look at or touch up my makeup during the day so I kind of just put faith in the fact that it said 12 hours. I got home and looked in the mirror and this stuff had melted off my face. I looked shiny and only parts of my face were still actually covered because the rest of it had just come off. It looked slightly ridiculous. It really bothers me too because this foundation looks the best on my skin when first applied. Oh well :( I need to change my rating down to 3 lippies though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2012 1:06:00 PM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

BUYERs tip: Get this full foundation ($38) + the Buffer Airbrush Bamboo brush ($32) for only $34 on QVC. I was naive enough to get it separately at ULTA individually & paid full price. Fantastic product. Feels and looks like a second skin. Has full coverage, spf 15 & blends veryy easily. Now the downsides sadly, the color selection; like all HE mu the range is soo limited. This comes in 5 shades only! I'm an NC25 with yellow undertones & the light has the perfect undertones but is too light in the outdoors. IMO this shade is best for NC15-NC20. The medium has neutral undertones & sure I can make it work with a light yellow powder (Ben Nye banana) on top. But this has been the case with ALL of foundations I have tried thus far (and I've tried a lot) I'm alway mixing/layering to get a match. I'm still searching for that one step HG....

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No