April 24, 2014 | 1882 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2012 7:31:00 PM More reviews by xlucyxoxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE LOVE THIS. MY NEW HG! This looks so damnnn natural yet flawless. It stays on all day without budging and controls my oils. But i find this too drying on my cheeks since my cheeks are more on the dry side. thus i need to moisturize really well before using this otherwise i will get flaky. thats totally fine with me cuz it looks so good on my skin. I'm nc10-15 and FAIR is the perfect match for me. im not sure if this will break me out or cause reactions. Will update :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2012 5:46:00 PM More reviews by keekz

My skin had no issues with this foundation (as in breakouts). I loved the creamy, clay-ish texture and it was a dream to apply. I applied with a skunk brush and got good coverage. It made me look quite flawless... but i noticed after aq few hours I was shiny. This foundation was PERFECT except for the fact that is has GD sparkled in it! WHY!!! this is a foundation for oily skin, glitter only accentuates this fact. I was so hoping it would work but it did not :( returned. Dear Tarte, take out the glitter!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2012 1:16:00 AM More reviews by reenerneener

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I definitely have a love/hate with this foundation. Coverage is definitely full...maybe too full?! It has a bit of a thick consistency that my skin apparently hates. I did buy the brush that is meant for this foundation & it made a HUGE difference, though. But even so, I find that I only use this on days where I really, REALLY need the coverage. Be sure you moisturize well beforehand because it will emphasize any bit of dryness.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2012 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Kimberlyj33110

Drying, cakey, just not for my normal/dryish skin. Might be good for someone super oily.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2012 9:26:00 PM More reviews by mlynde82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This foundation is lovely! I have always used tinted moisturizers, but now that I'm 30 and have a few lines on my face, I'm looking for more coverage... I love the Tarte brand because of their philosophy and because of the products, so I decided to try this stuff. It's awesome!

Here are my general impressions of it after using it for a few weeks:

PRO's
- The texture is amazing (kind of a liquid-mousse)
- The coverage is great, but I still wear concealer with it under my eyes
- It lasts and lasts and lasts!
- A tiny bit goes a long way, and it applies very naturally (I've applied it with my fingers and with brushes... I don't have the Tarte brush that is specific to this foundation, but I use a kabuki or stipple brush sometimes)
- Nothing nasty and synthetic in it.

CON's
- The color selection does leave something to be desired... I'm "lucky" in a way, I suppose, because the way I identify my color in any foundation is to select the lightest one ;) 9 times out of 10 that's the right match... but I can see people with a tan, with deeper skin tones, or certain undertones having difficulty finding the right shade.
- The Amazonian clay ingredient that is meant to balance your skin has so far not proven to keep me from getting shiny... I have allergies and constantly wipe my nose--I find that it wipes off a little too easily if you touch your face at all.

Overall, it's a great find. I wear it often enough to say that it's my go-to foundation, and I would definitely recommend it to others! I set it with E.L.F. HD powder and Urban Decay's All-Nighter setting spray which works great :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2012 2:46:00 AM More reviews by TheseDreamsofMine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've used this product for about 4 months now, from January to now April, and I think the amount of time along with the change in seasons allow me to give a more accurate review.

A Sephora SA convinced me to buy this product. She put it on me in-store, and it had a lovely satin finish (even when I did get out of the Sephora lights, which makes everything look great for some reason).
I used the foundation almost everyday during the winter months. But as spring came, I realized I didn't like it as much as when the air was drier. I'd like to give this product a 3.5, but I'll go ahead and bump it up to a 4.

Texture/finish: Like I said, satin-y/matte. I definitely did not want a dewy or glowy look seeing as my skin is already very oily. It says on the bottle that it is full coverage, and it really is a quite thick foundation. I tried using a damp sponge, a dry sponge, my fingers, a foundation brush, and a kabuki brush (whew!) with this product, and my favorite way is with the kabuki - it looks airbrushed. This product looked cakey on my skin very easily, even with a primer, and often I looked "made-up" in person....it tends to look unnatural.

Wear: When it says it's a 12 hours foundation, it means it. I put this on 5:30am, went to school, played basketball for about an hour and a half, and washed it off around 8pm and it still lasted. Of course, it didn't look as good as it did in the morning, but I still was impressed at how much it held up.It doesn't quite feel like I'm wearing a mask, but it does feel like I'm wearing foundation, if that makes any sense. It's a little bit heavy, and if you want it to feel lighter, change your application technique - using a sponge gave it a lighter feel for me.

Skin: It didn't do as good of a job as I wanted to as far as preventing shine throughout the day. I still had to touch up or blot midday, and it would look like it was spreading just a *teensy* bit, even with a primer underneath and set with powder. However, I was glad that the foundation did not break me out as most do, and it didn't clog my pores.

Overall, the product is good. I'd rec it to someone with combination skin and a lot of imperfections...as I've said, it's got quite full coverage (which I don't particularly need). I really do recommend this for normal-very oily skins during the wintertime, though. I really loved it then.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2012 3:05:00 PM More reviews by faireyfantom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I said "yes" to buy again, but this foundation is not for me. It applied beautifully. It has a mousse texture. Blends like heaven. I found a decent color match.

I would say this is medium coverage and I did not get it to build up too well beyond that. It transfers. It did not last through a regular work day before it started to break down on my face and wear off. By the end of the day I was a scary mess. I work in an office, not on a farm. I bet someone with less oily skin would love this foundation which is why I rated it as high as I did. It reminds me of a foundation EL had for a minute. I think it was called Idealist. As always, I tried with various primers and powders.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2012 3:17:00 PM More reviews by dmastra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I purchased this product because I have heard it works well ... I decided to get MUFE first ... In 120 and I liked it but it wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted something that looks natural but still covered my blemishes.. Skin discoloration. I got taste in light and it works amazing. It is a little thick mouse like but blends very nicely
I apply one layer then go over my imperfection with a small amount and that does it for me... I can't say the foundation last 12 hours tho... I have normal to combo skin and after 5-6 hrs I can deff say I would use a touch up.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2012 7:56:00 PM More reviews by kmb584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I've tried a lot of foundations throughout the last decade, from Dior to Revlon, and never stayed with one for long. I have very fair, combination oily skin and always found it difficult to find a foundation that worked with my skin rather than highlight its flaws. Then, I came across Tarte's Amazonian Clay 12-hour foundation -- I fell in love.

As I mentioned above, I have very fair skin but found the fair shade to be too light, almost pasty. "Light" however was a perfect match. The foundation itself is thick but surprisingly not heavy; it applies evenly and covers without making me look like I'm wearing makeup, The name states "full coverage" but alas, it is not. It can be, it's an easily buildable product, but initial coverage is medium.

The true test came on my recent voyage to Florida, the land of heat and humidity. It's also the state where my face tends to melt off. Not the case with Amazonian Clay! I spent a full 12-hour day in the Magic Kingdom and waltzed into dinner that evening with my makeup looking the same as it did that morning. No oily t-zone, no dry patches, no splotches -- just a flawless complexion.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2012 5:28:00 PM More reviews by XOXOkevyXOXO

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I must admit, I hated this product at first when I tested out my sample from Sephora. It caked around my dry patches just like Mufe's Hd foundation and appeared to have an oily remark. Over a weeks frame, I noticed a difference in the texture of my skin. The dryness improved and my scars began to appear less noticeable, I am beginning to receive compliments on my skin. (I would have never expected that in a million years & I love it!)
BOTTOM LINE: if you're interested in this foundation do yourself a favor and get a sample first. The creamy texture gives a very natural finish with medium coverage. I do advise customers with oily skin to steer clear, it's formula won't suit your skin type.