Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

3.6

6% Titanium dioxide 3% Zinc Oxide Inactive Ingredients: Water, cyclopentasiloxane, octldodecyl neopentanoate, butylene glycol, plyglyceryl-4 isostearate, dimethicone crosspolymer, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, dimethicone, silica, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, stearic acid, aluminum hydroxide, sodium dehydroacetate, phytantriol, hexyl laurate, triethoxycaprylysilane, nylon-12, sodium chloride, kaolin, tocopherol, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate, polyvinylalcohol crosspolymer, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, zinc chloride, lysine, sodium hyaluronte, hexylene glycol, caprylyl glycol, phenoxyethanol. potassium sorbate, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, mica Made in USA

on 7/5/2013 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Given the price of this and all the hype surrounding it, I expected a lot more. The first few times I wore this, I felt like it looked too "makeup-y". I think some people will like that look but I don't want it to look like I'm wearing foundation. But my biggest complaint is that I expected this to be a matte finish. It is nowhere close to being matte, nor does it control oil. In fact, I would say that it goes on dewy. Coverage would be medium-full and does seem to cover my purple acne scars rather well. I got this in "light" and find it to be quite yellowish, although it works fairly well with my coloring. My skin is oily and acne prone, and I thought that because this has clay, it would dry to a more clay-like finish and be some sort of miracle product. Unfortunately, it does not do anything special for me so I wouldn't buy it again.

One word can sum up my opinion of this product...WOW!!

Up until the discovery of this product, the search for the Perfect Foundation was like the search for the Perfect Man: frustrating, depressing, and full of disappointment and broken promises.

A little background: I am lucky enough to have hit the genetic jackpot with skin that is sensitive, acne-prone, and oily, with huge pores. And thanks to my on-again-off-again relationship with birth control pills in my early 20's, my cheeks are a minefield of pitted acne scars from past battles with hormone-related adult acne. I have tried every product that fit the above criteria (and believe me, it's slim pickins out there!), and had yet to find one that wasn't chalky or greasy, has enough coverage, lasts more than a couple of hours, and doesn't make me look like a ghost or an Oompa Loompa. I had been wearing Bare Escentuals which worked great for years, but my skin has changed and suddenly it seemed to start sinking into my pores, and I was tired of having to buy 3 different colors to blend to my skintone.

There are two criteria that must be met for me to even consider trying a brand of makeup:
1. It MUST be cruelty-free
2. It MUST be all natural (free of parabens, chemical sunscreens, etc.)

Needless to say, my selectiveness makes my search all the more difficult. So I trekked to the nearest Sephora, in search of the Holy Grail: a full-coverage, all-natural, cruelty-free foundation that doesn't settle into my large pores, lasts all day, and matches my unique skin tone. I explained to one of the makeup consultants what I was looking for, and she immdiately led me over to the Tarte display & buffed some of the Light on my jawline with a little brush. I was amazed how well it matched my skintone. In fact, the only way I could tell where it was applied was that I had a quarter-sized patch of what looked like bare skin in the middle of the foundation I was already wearing. I was sold!

I applied the Tarte to bare, clean skin &was instantly in love with the texture: somewhere between a mousse and a cream, it felt surprisingly light considering the high amount of coverage. I wore it to work the next day and received many unsolicited compliments on how "great my skin looked", so I knew I'd found the right product! I have been using this ever since (about 6 months) and my skin actually looks better even after I remove my makeup, so I know it's doing something to treat my skin as well. It also stays on pretty well in the water: I went to Miami and swam with the dolphins, and my makeup stayed on except for a ring around my eyes from the swimming mask.

Yesterday I bought the Aqualillies for Tarte Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder, which I used for the first time today. Normally by lunchtime my foundation is gone; like a Mafia traitor in the Witness Protection Program, it vanishes without a trace. Not so with the Tarte, my skin looked fresh all day with no touchups. I was amazed! These products are a winning combination of all natural AND high-performance.

I am going to California this weekend to try surfing, and can't wait to see how it performs after a whole day in the ocean & on the beach. I will update when I get back so stay tuned...

on 6/22/2013 10:59:00 PM

I love Tarte for my acne-prone, oily skin. I find their produce to have great coverage and to not inflame or irritate my skin. I wish it were a little cheaper, of course. Sometimes I mix the foundation with my favorite Clinique moisturizer to make a tinted moisturizer, depending on how bad my skin is that week.

on 6/20/2013 1:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I'm moderately conflicted about this foundation. I have this foundation in Tan. I saw some reviews online and thought - THAT foundation is for me! But I can't say I'll repurchase.

The pros:
- The finish is perfect. If you like a matte foundation, it's definitely got that going for it.
- It's a great foundation formula. The consistency is nice and creamy. It doesn't run, it doesn't separate. When you apply it, it's very controlled. It doesn't dry too quickly, so you can easily blend it out.
- It doesn't feel too thick on the skin. You might be put off originally before you blend it out. But once you begin to blend, it blends evenly and nicely.
- The packaging is nice. It has Tarte's nice wooden lid as an accent. Comes in my favorite type of packaging (a tube). Overall, it's just pretty.
- It IS long wearing - but DOES need a setting powder. It will separate on the skin after 6+ hours. I work in an office all day, and it will begin to look patchy all over, not just in oily areas. It is transfer resistant I noticed.

Cons:
- It isn't actually full coverage. When I think of full coverage, first I think of Revlon Colorstay - which covers everything within the first coat. I also think of Kat Von D's tattoo foundation, which though isnt my favorite, is a full coverage foundation. I don't have any dark discolorations or scarring, but I do have a few light freckles cheeks. This foundation doesn't cover them. It applies and feels like a full coverage foundation, but up close, isn't. It doesn't leave you flawless. I'd call it medium-buildable coverage. To some people this isn't a con, but if you pay $40 for a FULL coverage foundation, you expect to get it, ya know?
- This is a personal con for me, but I figured I'd mention it. I have tan skin, so I purchased the Tan. The deepness of the foundation matches me, but it is a bit yellow. It could be worse, I know, it could be orange. It is easily counteracted by powder and after contour, bronzer, and blush, you can no longer tell.
- It's pricey for what you get. I seem to have an issue with foundations of a higher cost. Maybe it's because there are some great drug store foundations, like Rimmel London Lasting Finish foundation (great one), and Revlon Colorstay. I just expect a lot from a high end foundation because it's often more than 3x the price. There has only been one foundation I believe is worth the price and it's MUFE HD. This one I can't say the same.

Overall, I will enjoy the remainder of this tube, but I won't repurchase. It's just too expensive and I don't think it's really worth it. I can't say 'STAY AWAY!' because it's not THAT bad. If you have $40 at your dispense and feel it's worth it, try it for yourself and maybe the pros will outweigh the cons.

on 6/19/2013 2:20:00 PM

I LOVE this foundation. The only reason this is getting a 4 is that I am the color of a non-sparkly Cullen, and this is a bit dark for me. Aside from my lack of pigmentation, I am rosy and have an oily t-zone, I apply with my fingers or a flat top Kabuki for medium, long-lasting coverage. This is not matte unless powdered, but a nice, natural satin finish when not overly applied. I don't look made up, I look better, which is my goal for any foundation,I use with the AMAZING BB Primer in the Tarte line and finish with an Urban Decay setting spray instead of powder for a less obvious look.

I have tried many foundations, and have nothing to compare the product to, as the texture and final finish are very unique. Don't be scared away by the idea of it being full coverage, depending on application a light to medium look is easily achievable with lasting results.

on 6/19/2013 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This product is amazing for oily skinned people. I have the shade Tan and fluctuate between a medium to a medium-dark skin tone. It is definitely a fuller coverage foundation that is great for people who need heavy duty staying power for competitions and such. It looks great in all lights, but might be a little heavy for the daytime. It is very thick and takes a little more blending than most liquid foundations, but it is worth it because the final look is very flawless. I did not have to blot like I usually do when I wear any type of face makeup. The only con I can think of is that there are only 8 shades. I got the 6th one, but if you don't have the undertone the shade closest to your skin has, you're out of luck. Also, it has titanium dioxide which flashes back in pictures. I like blending all foundation in with my fingers, as you get more control and a natural look, but a traditional foundation brush works well, too. All in all, it's a great product.

EDIT!
My skin has changed drastically since the last review. I no longer have ridiculously oily, acne prone skin. Now it's much the opposite. It's super dry due to several chronic conditions and pretty much flawless, although I have some faint dark spots. I just wanted to say that as long as I prep right (toner, sunscreen, moisturizer, etc...) this works just fine. I think the fact that it is a silicone based foundation helps it go on smoothly. I just can't use it when the dry patches on my face are very mad. It does leave a slightly powdery, matte finish which I don't love as I prefer a more glowing "skin" look, but it's still great. I have to use very little because the coverage is amazing and I have very little to cover. It's very rare to find a foundation that truly works on all skin types, but this does. Awesome!

on 6/19/2013 10:15:00 AM

What can I say - I am a foundation junkie have tried so many foundations from drug store to high end and this foundation is almost perfect. The coverage is there without it feeling heavy and it does stay on for a remarkably long time. I am covering some acne scarring and it is great. I like to apply using the cargo Magic Brush (which I have misplaced and am so very sad as it's a $35 brush :(.)....buffing with a brush makes a world of difference.

I think I can stop looking for a foundation with this being the best I've had and happy about that.

on 6/16/2013 9:46:00 PM

I was doing my "I need a newer and better fdtn" search again when I read the reviews on this product. I wish I did not buy this! The coverage is definitely medium/full coverage. The color matched my skin tone perfectly...but it just felt dirty. I don't know how else to explain it except my face felt gross every time I wore it. However I continued to wear it a full two weeks because my face didn't turn red or get itchy/irritated...at first. Then, the cystic acne around my chin/mouth came. And after this it was all over. Tiny pimples on my forehead, sides of my nose, on my temples. It was horrible. I'm guessing it will take my chin area another two weeks to recover. If you have sensitive skin, DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. If you have oily skin, DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. Your skin will continue to be oily and your face will hate you for it.

on 6/8/2013 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Amazing wear and coverage, I advise using a brush to apply for a airbrushed finish (I use a eco tools buffer type brush). This replaces my former HG Revlon colorstay natural in buff. Pricey but I when Tarte has a sale on their website I stock up.

on 6/6/2013 11:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I got a good size sample of this from sephora in medium.I love the texture both going on& after.feels velvety. Easy to apply.love squeeze bottle (easier to travel&for those of us with little counter space& or a husband who dosent like all that on the counter as he always knocks stuff over.lol)the color is very spot on mabey has a slight pink tone, I perfer it to have a more yellow tone but it isnt bad at all, I find drugstore foundations to be a lot more pinky or orange on my light-med olive skin color. I can live with this.I didnt find it to last 12 hours mabey 6/7hours(but i didnt apply primer as i was on a trip&my primer was in the trunk already).the coverage is very nice& you get a almost flawless face without looking fake.didnt feel too heavy but I could feel it, felt like my skin does after wearing a clay treatment mask.smelled good ¬ makeupy.didnt make my dry spots look worse (corners of my nose is really dry lately) I found it to give a glowy, luminous?but not dewy look to my skin.I am not very oily, I tend to glow a bit but thats it.I have large pores on my nose,cheeks&forehead and this made them disapper& didnt do what nars sheer glow did wich was sink into my pores&made it look like I had little yellow spots all over.it did hold up fine in brezzy 80/90 degree weather. Overall I really really like this foundation&this will probly be in my rotation for a good while.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

This vs.That | (Review + Demo) Laura Mercier Silk Creme vs. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Foundation by JJ BeautyRoom

Review ? Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation by BeautyLoDown