September 21, 2014 | 1805 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2009 9:46:00 AM More reviews by bkaips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Type: Retin-A Cream .05%

What can I say about retin-a that people don't already know? As far as I am concerned, everyone over 30 who can tolerate this SHOULD be using it! This stuff totally rocks and is the best beauty treatment out there.
I have been using this a little over a month and I have already noticed great improvement in my skin.....pores smaller, skin glowing, smoother, healthier looking, fine lines are disappearing! I don't have any wrinkles at 38 and I plan on keeping it that way for as long as I can... With the help of retin-a, I have no doubt I will keep them at bay.......I should have started using this 8 years ago, but glad to have it in my arsenal now.....as long as my skin keeps tolerating this I wont ever be without.

For those who are thinking about using it.....don't think anymore, just do it!!!!! Time is a wasting and so is your skin:).......But I do recommend that a first time user think about trying an over the counter retinoid product for a few months prior to using the full strength retin-a. I used Green Cream Lv 3 and 6 for several months before trying retin....it truly prepped my skin for the use of retin-a and it is probably why I had very few issues starting out with using it on a nightly basis. But anyway, here is to beautiful skin!!!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2009 8:52:00 PM More reviews by wiresinhisheart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

i get this treatment prescribed by my doctor. i started out using the 0.01% gel for ~2 years and only just switched to the 0.025% gel. the .025% seems to work much better for me, after using it for only a short while, my skin looks much more even toned and "plump" compared to when i was on the .01% gel and strangely enough, my face felt more sensitive from using the 0.01% over the 0.025%.

like a lot of people i suffered from my skin getting worse and peeling horribly when i first began using this product. i powered through the discomfort and the fact that my face got worse before it got better and now i am really glad i didnt give up when my face was all red and peeling.

this is a night treatment only. while using retin-a sunscreen is essential. moisturising is also essential both day and night.
i cant recommend this product highly enough, although i will say you have to tailor the frequency of applications to how your skin is reacting. theres no point slathering retin-a on a dry, cracked face, it will hurt and burning the top layer of your face off never helped anyone.
i either apply to my bare, dry face or over a "buffer" of the oils i moisturise with. i apply once every other night usually. i also use this around my eyes and few the fine lines i had creeping in are pretty much gone altogether and the skin around my eyes has thickened a little too!
it takes a while (up to a year) to see full results from retin-a usage, so i would advise people to stick with it. i never thought i would have nice skin again, or feel confident enough to look people in the eye because my skin was covered in marks and pimples and cysts, but since using retin-a my skin has calmed down a lot. i still get cysts if i eat bad food and i get the occasional pimple sometimes, but my skin is clear 95% of the time thanks to retin-a (and a good diet).

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2009 10:19:00 AM More reviews by sideeffex

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It's really unfair to give poor ratings to this product based on the purging. Everybody knows you will purge, but then reemerge with better skin. Suck it up and purge or look for another product.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2009 9:07:00 AM More reviews by Sarahliz1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This review is for the .05%. I applied after washing face and waiting 20 minutes. I waited 10 minutes and applied copper peptide, moisturizer and emu oil mixed. No peeling so far. This is the second morning after and my skin is already glowing and make up went on smoothly. I am a little concerned of the no peeling. Is it working still?
I do glycolic acid peels weekly prior to Retin-A and I use Retinol and BHA and AHA so this may have helped this process greatly. ?
Overall already, second day is smooth and with a slight glow. Im excited for the future and I will keep updating based on progress!
Day 4
Ok, nothing with day 1, 2 or 3 except some smoothness and a little glow...until this afternoon. Chin was peeling! A lot! I am applying nightly because of the peels and aha/bha and retinol in my prior use. My skin is a little tender and its a little peeling. I just keep applying Emu Oil, CP Serum and a thick lotion!
UPDATE: Ok a week later. VERY good. minimum peeling. Im still able to airbrush tan my face at night. skin is glowing, pores are smaller...looks really really good. saving me a TON of money on beauty products! i am normally a compulsive buyer!!!
UPDATE: 3 weeks later. Love it! Skin is glowing, smooth, pores smaller. Love love love it!
UPDATE: About 3 months later? LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Using every other night. Added BHA, then Retin A, then lotion, Then my self tanner. I peel once a month or so and not bad. Skin is radiate. I have been told often how great I look and young...mainly skin. Normally dont hear that! I still use the .05% but Im moving to the .1% for my face and the .05% every so often under my eyes and the sides of the eyes and my neck. I am amazed! I also use AquaGlycolic in the AM mixed with a little Emu Oil as directed by my brothers dermatologist. So I get my BHA, Retin A, AHA and Emu oil. Oh and I forget that I do use a CP in the AM before the lotion!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2009 9:01:00 PM More reviews by SugaCookie26

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

This review is on the .025% cream. First and foremost, this stuff will burn the skin off your face! Be careful with it! Us it ONLY as directed. I used it as directed and STILL had peeling and tight itchy sore spots on my face. Be sure to use sunscreen when using this too, your skin will be a little sensitive. The way it works best for me it to use it twice a week in a THIN film on my cheeks where I need it most.

That being said, it is a fantastic product and does do what it claims. My skin is softer, plumper and smoother after only one use. My cheeks break out on occasion around that time of the month but that's been cut down to a minimum since using this and my skin tone is evening out. Good stuff but STRONG.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2009 4:23:00 PM More reviews by rhondaaa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My review is for .1 % cream (NOT the micro-gel...which I didn't like at all because it doesn't cooperate with other products): I've used this since the early 1990's, and I think it's helped my skin age very well. (Using it should remind anyone to stay out of the sun, as well). I actually have a compounding pharmacy that makes the product for me for a fraction of the already-packaged price!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2009 12:40:00 AM More reviews by heypretty911

Type: Cream
Concentration: 0.025%
My firs MA review ever and what do I choose to review? Retin A! I just feel like sharing my experience using this thing. After reading many reviews on Retin A, I bought one 0.025% tube over-the-counter.
My skin is on the very oily side, but is a little dry during winter. I have occasional inflammatory pimples which always appeared on the same usually spots like chin and cheeks. I had some acne scars and some dark spots. My forehead was a shade darker than the rest of my face. I intended to use Retin A to lighten the skin on my forehead and erase those scars.
For me, this cream does what it’s supposed to: erase wrinkles and acne by stimulating collagen production. I was aware of the “purging” that others warned about. The purging was not too bad for me. I only experienced flaking, which can be tackled by using moisturizer and scrubbing. At first, I use it alone, applying it lightly on dry face every other night. But now I add hyaluronic serum after leaving Retin A on the face for about 10 minutes, which makes skin peeling less severe.

After 3 weeks of using Retin A, my skin is behaving better. I now only occasionally experience small pimples, which are barely noticeable. My skin is now clear, glowing and plumper, due to the better collagen production no doubt. Since my skin is now behaving better, I can now get away with applying cream that was too rich for me and have also ditched skin toning entirely. I usually apply too many layers on my face during the day: moisturizer, Shu Uemura SPF 50PA++ sunscreen, makeup base, foundation, powder and point makeup (gasp!) But my pores no longer clog. My skin is still somewhat oily, but my pores have shrunk a little. My skin is still peeling, but only slightly.
I am now using it nightly and wear sunscreen with high SPF every day. I notice that my face get red when I don’t. Therefore, sunscreen is mandatory when using Retin A.
(I also dab a little around the eye areas once a week because Retin A is a bit too strong for that, IMO. I think I might have to reduce it to twice a week during winter because the skin might get too dry.)

This is my holygrail and I will keep using it forever because it's the cheapest "skincare" product (cost me like US$5) I've ever bought and gives the best results!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2009 9:53:00 AM More reviews by gb281

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using the Retin A Micro Gel 0.04% faithfully for about 4 months. I tend to use it 4-5 nights per week. My skin still gets flaky but I do believe that I am starting to see a lessening of my facial lines, particulary those above my lips. I use it in conjunction w/ the Obagi line but I do not mix it w/ the Blender, I just use it straight. I prefer the pump dispenser to the tubes that I tried in the past. The only downside is that my insurance will not cover it and the pump cost $175, however it does last along time and I will rebuy it. I use a very moisturizing sunblock eveyday and that helps the flakiness.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/14/2009 3:19:00 PM More reviews by mckennafofenna

My dermotologist gave me this medication for my acne which began getting really bad when I started high school and after using it for a week, I litteraly had pieces of skin peeling off my face that were the size of dimes. Gross, I know. It made my skin so incredibly dry that I couldn't even put moisturizer on because everything burned my skin. I would not recommend this to anyone. Go with another acne product.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2009 7:35:00 PM More reviews by CultDiva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using Retin-A 0.1 % on and off for several years. I think it's kept my skin from aging poorly, considering all the time I spent in the sun as a young woman. I do notice I look younger than most women my age, but on the other hand I have much darker and oilier skin than they do. I can't imagine going without this product, and I find most dermatologists and plastic surgeons can at least agree that Retin-A is a must have anti-aging skin must.