April 23, 2014 | 1930 users online

Mascara - Christian Dior - Diorshow Iconic High Definition Lash Curler Mascara

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2009 2:30:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

Even though I am a huge fan of the original DiorShow, I held off on trying this because my thought is, why fix something that's broken? Plus, this is a tiny bit pricier ($27 vs. $24)... that extra $3 could be a Wet 'n Wild or NYC product at the drugsotre - lol!

I got this in the set with the mini lipstick at Sephora. It came in a cute black carrying case that I can probably reuse for lipglosses and such, so I didn't mind shelling out the $27.

About me: I'm a mascara junkie because I have short, thin, dinky eyelashes that are hard to curl, so I'm always on the lookout for the next best thing. In the last few weeks, I've been test driving various new drugstore mascaras, but none really were just perfect for me, so I decided to go back to department store.

The Iconic mascara claims to define, lengthen, and curl, so I was intrigued. I didn't expect my lashes to look like the beautiful advertisement with Monica Bellucci (obviously), but I did have pretty high expectations, for the price and being that it's Dior.

The brush is one of those new fangled plastic bristley ones, and the bristles are all arranged in a spiral. The brush size is a little bigger than say, Chanel Inimitable, but smaller than CG Lashblast. I applied this by "rolling" the brush along the lengths of my lashes. After the first coat, I did notice that my lashes were "lifted" -- but didn't notice much else. I did the other eye, then came back and applied a second coat with the same methodology, and that's when I noticed the length and more definition. This certainly does not volumize as much as the regular DiorShow, but it gives more volumization than most lenghtening style mascaras.

This wore all day without clumping or flaking. I didn't use a lash curler, but my lashes stayed uplifted for the whole day. The black color is a nice, deep black (very important to me) -- my lashes didn't feel brittle or hard to the touch, and the mascara removed easily at the end of the day with my Almay remover pads.

Overall, I believe that I would repurchase and add this to my list of HG mascaras (so far being regular DiorShow and YSL Faux Cils). I'll update if anything changes! continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2009 5:49:00 PM More reviews by smiley07

my favourite mascara so far is maybelline full n soft.Have used many high end mascaras ysl dior etc.........this dior mascara is different is better than all mascaras have used so far.it looks naturaland IT KEEPS A CURL IN MY LASHES until i remove makeup...wow i have quite thick lashes ive always wanted a curl to last and this is only mascara that has done so so fa.However only thing i didnt like was raccoon eyes after 2 hours or so only a little bit ....but i would deffo use and buy again because of the lasting curl and no u dont need an eyelsh curler with this one.If you like heavy false lash look slightly clumpy then this is not for you if you like natural yet with a curl looking lashes this is for you its greeat overall good mascara but not the best i hacve used still think full n soft by ,maybelline is gr8

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2009 10:28:00 AM More reviews by bananacupcake

this mascara is good. the brush doesnt make my lashes clump together. but i find the result the same with my maybelline mascara and maybelline's is much cheaper. so i dun tink i'll buy this anymore.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2009 4:09:00 PM More reviews by etmg

this mascara is great at curling lashes. You really have to try it - it works so well. Also, the effect is very natural. I love Diorshow blackout mascara but I find it is too much to wear in the day - this would be amazing to wear with really natural make up. I didn't use this with an eyelash curler but I imagine the effect is even more dramatic. Lovely silver packaging as well. I reallly like this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2009 7:59:00 AM More reviews by chichi82582

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is one of the best mascaras for dramatically enhancing my sparse, medium length, stick-straight eyelashes. It truly lengthens and holds a curl (I use my shu curler before applying mascara), and it lasts all day without requiring reapplication. One of the most noticeable attributes of this mascara is the fact that it imparts little to no clumps--it truly defines the lashes. In contrast, other high-end mascaras, such as YSL faux cils, may create drama, but such drama comes at a price--the clumping is absurd and makes application incredibly frustrating. Having tried all of the "HG" mascaras (e.g. original Diorshow, YSL faux cils, Lancome courbe virtuouse, etc), I can confidently say that I find Diorshow Iconic to be a superior product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2009 7:56:00 PM More reviews by jaynalisa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

HG!!! This mascara is the bomb diggity! I've used the original Diorshow mascara for years and used to think that was the greatest stuff on earth until I tried Iconic. My lashes never stayed curled with the orig Diorshow or with any other mascara but Iconic keeps them curled all day! And if that wasn't a good enough reason to love it, it also makes my lashes so so long and thick. I always feel like I'm wearing falsies after I put this stuff on! It is expensive at $27 bucks a pop, but so totally worth it, especially considering I've had mine for about three months and it hasn't even begun to get dry or yucky and it looks like there's still plent left in the tube. I will repurchase this for the rest of my life! I even put this on my best friend last night and it looked so good on her too that she now wants to buy it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2009 3:39:00 PM More reviews by xserenity

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This mascara is amazing. It creates the look of fuller and longer eyelashes. It even holds the curl! I've always had a problem with my eyelash curls falling after an hour or so (asian eyelashes :(), but not with this formula. Definitely buying it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2009 11:52:00 PM More reviews by peanut0216

Love this mascara... does add length for me and I do not have a problem with smudging or flaking.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2009 6:54:00 PM More reviews by angela18

wow this mascara was pretty goooood. I was at sephora for the first time, and i got one of those sample wands and applied the mascara on my lashes that are straight but not dead straight. My lashes were lifted so high that when i blinked they hit my brow bone. I was suprised and i didnt even use the brush it came with.

The only reasons why i wouldnt buy it, is it is too expensive for me for a product that just makes eyelashes longer,curled, and thicker.( a small part of your body that does make a difference)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2009 11:38:00 PM More reviews by nverno

I have naturally straight, okay-length, okay-thickness lashes. I found Iconic was really pretty good overall and gave me the following effects (in this order):

1.) Curl/lift, 2.) volume, 3.) length, 4.) definition

Overall, for me, it came out looking like more of a "classic look" mascara. Not too dramatic, yet it isn't subtle. I was happy with the effect and the fact that it lasted all day. Also, I have to take a few extra seconds with this mascara, but it is worth it. Does not melt down on me at all where most do. When I wear it people ask me what I have on. It is supposed to have conditioners in it to nourish the lashes. That was the one of the main reason why I decided to try it.

Wand: The wand is a chunky plastic thick-type with no hair bristles. It just has tiny little plastic stubs all over going in kind of bias pattern or in lines going diagonally across the end of the wand.

Curling: Iconic definitely lifts at the root of your lash line to give you a natural-looking curl. I have pretty straight lashes and I did not use a curler with it and it still gave me a curl or more of a lifted effect so that my straight lashes no longer pointed straight down. The curl really stays all day. If I used a curler it didn't look as nice for some reason and got a little clumpy, but it looks great when used without a curler- I manipulated the brush to curl them up and to the side, which looks more natural and gives me a lift at the end of my eyes.

Iconic's color is a good solid, somewhat-shiny black. I have darker features and I feel it is dark enough to stand out on me. It's not a matte or softer back like the original diorshow mascara, but it isn't as black as doir's blackout (which has kohl added to the formula making it strikingly black) .

It also gave me volume at the base of my lashes and lengthened nicely while keeping them separated and defined. Take a couple extra seconds to roll the brush up and to the side to separate and define, but at the same time also to create a curled or lifted effect. It's hard to explain, but I guess you just have to play around with the brush because it's a little different than most.

Cons: $27 price tag, and it is difficult to remove. I find using sephora waterproof face eye makeup remover on a water-saturated round cotton pad works fine. I let the remover sit on my eye for at least ten seconds and it breaks it up. It comes off in strange flakes.

Also, I was told to layer this over my blackout or my original diorshow mascara to get a beautiful effect, but when I tried it, it was too much and not in a good way... Each time I tried it my lashes fell straight and were spidery- yuck. I do like all the dior mascaras in different ways, but only when used separately and not layered. I don't recommend the layering of the different dior formulas. Also because who has the time for doing this on a daily basis? To me, they each work better on their own. I think they're trying to sell more you more mascaras, like they don't already sell enough.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No